Topic Wiki

How long should I go for?

Minimum 8 hours is a starter. Perfect for a full day.

Where to stay:
Andaz
Waldorf Astoria
Holiday Inn Express (provides Mehadrin breakfast)
W
Element
Marriot

What to do:
Walk through the market and see the flowers and all other sorts of touristy stuff

Visit the Spanish Portuguese Shul - http://www.portugesesynagoge.nl/eng

Visit Anne Frank's Museum - http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/

Take a boat ride on the canals

Heiniken Museum (mixed reviews) - http://www.heineken.com/Heineken-Experience/Heineken-Experience

Van Gogh Museum - http://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/nl

Rijksmuseum - https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en

Maritime Museum ( great for kids also)

Take 1.5 hr train to Antwerp

Minyanim:

Restaurants and Supermarkets:

Meat

Meat Me

HaCarmel

Sal-Meijer sandwich shop - http://www.sal-meijer.com/english/index.php CLOSED FOR GOOD

Golan

Grand cafe Rimon - http://rimongrandcafe.nl/menu.html

Marcus - butcher - http://www.slagerijmarcus.nl/kosher/

Milk

Pizza & Co

Mouwes - Supermarket - http://www.mouwes.nl/

Rimon Deli – Bakery and Supermarket - info@laromme.nl

David's Corner - Supermarket - www.davidscorner.nl

Trip Reports, notes and reviews:
Dan
jj1000     
mguy
moish
penina
@yehuda
DDFB
jungle
boruch
« Last edited by rangersin4 on May 29, 2023, 03:30:01 PM »

Author Topic: Amsterdam Master Thread  (Read 201462 times)

Offline netzih

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Amsterdam Master Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2012, 12:32:44 AM »
Taking klm to Israel with a 14 hour stop (6am-8:30pm) on Feb. 27th I was thinking of checking out the Heineken museum but heard that it is closed on Mondays is this true?
And what are other recommendations to do (I'm not a big art guy) for 2 people (ages 19 and 21)?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2012, 04:29:01 PM »
Taking klm to Israel with a 14 hour stop (6am-8:30pm) on Feb. 27th I was thinking of checking out the Heineken museum but heard that it is closed on Mondays is this true?
And what are other recommendations to do (I'm not a big art guy) for 2 people (ages 19 and 21)?
The art museum has clean bathrooms. You should rent a bike and ride to one of the suburbs of Amsterdam.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline David B

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2012, 05:42:01 PM »

Anne Frank House, Spanish & Portuguese Synagogue, and some of the other things on the list posted earlier in the thread,  There are some amazing things to see in Amsterdam -- a beautiful and clean, historic city.  Can probably find the Heineken Brewery Tour info online -- definitely something I enjoyed when I was 19 -- but I spent a week in the city at that time (wouldn't waste it there if I only had one day).  Anyway, my two cents...

Offline YudiG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2012, 06:07:09 PM »
go eat at the sandwich shop...i think it's called meijer or something like that...amazing food and take a canal boat ride....don't go to amsterdam to see a beer muesuem...

Offline boruch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2012, 06:47:45 PM »
+1. You can drink a cold Heineken anywhere in the world :). If you don't have a lot of time than a must are the Anne Frank Museum, the old Snoge (Portuguese synagogue) and a canal boat tour. All pretty close to each other.

Sandwich shop Sal. Meijer is delicious.

(And of course a quick herring or two in the city!)

Offline David B

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2012, 08:35:27 PM »
+1 on the canal boat ride -- great way to see most of the city.  Boats are available from lots of locations throughout the city.

Add the Jewish Historical Museum while you're at it -- it's well worth it, despite your aversion to Art.

Canal Boat tour, Jewish Museum, Anne Frank and S&P -- would make a great day there.  Meijer works great if the timing is right, can also eat in the museum if timing is better.  Enjoy!

Offline boruch

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2012, 08:24:24 AM »
Hechsher in the jewish museum is not the best ....

Offline bentch

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »
I have a 6 hr layover in AMS.  I'm thinking of two options:

Take the train to the jewish community (is it the #2, any info on where to go/which stop to get off at?) to get some food to eat. 

or:

Head downtown to Anne Frank House and get some food at the museum and make it back in time. (is there enough time for this?)

thanks to everyone, especially boruch for all of the helpful info.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2012, 07:37:42 PM »
I was asked to post this here with all the noobs that'll be checking it out for the Israel deal... Its an exerpt of a much longer tr.

Amsterdam- Amsterdam to me was like a best of all the cities I visited on my trip and was a great city to end my trip.

It has the beautiful canals of Venice, museums that can rival Florence, and classic Dutch architecture dating back to the 1600’s, that does not even come close to the architecture of Prague, but is unique in the sense that you won’t see such beautiful buildings of this style anywhere else.

The first thing we did was buy a three day unlimited tram, bus, and subway pass for 16 euro. The transit system is phenomenal in this city. Next we bought the yearly museum pass good for nearly all major museums in the Netherlands for 45 euro, and it lasts an entire year. It was well worth it because we would have spent more than that just our 1st day (most museums are either 14 or 8 euro)!

I will list the museums in order of what I liked:

-The Van Gogh museum has the biggest collection of Van Gough paintings in the world. I am biased towards Van Gogh partially because his bedroom is probably my favorite painting all time. None the less him and his contemporaries made undisputedly some of the most mesmerizing paintings in history. Be sure to see all the floors, I almost skipped the basement exhibit which is one of the most moving art displays I ever walked through, it puts you in a different world of nature, truly amazing.

-The Rijksmuseum with great paintings of mainly Dutch origin, do not miss the the nacht vatch is the most famous art display in Holland, it features Rembrandts largest and most famous work.

-The maritime museum is a GREAT museum for kids and adults alike with a pirate ship to walk through, and tons of other exhibits you can easily spend 2 hours here and not get bored.

-The Royal palace is only open when the queen is not there with foreign dignitaries. Be sure to check that its open before you go. The palace is exactly what you would expect, ornately decorated rooms and hallways. This comes with a free audio tour which is suggested being that there aren’t any signs as to what things are.

-The museum of resistance is all about the Dutch resisting the Nazis in WWII and about the Jews in WWII. It takes a good hour and half to do, I unfortunately didn’t have that much time but it was very interesting none the less.

-The Museum Geelvinck is an old Dutch house that is open to the public to walk through. It consists of a coach house and a main house with 6 different exquisite rooms. The thing I like most about this museum is you can sit on most of the furniture and it is just really relaxing to be in. If you need a place to chill for a bit and take in some of the most beautiful granite you’ll see in a house, this is your place.

-The Jood museum had some interesting artifacts. Especially a very beautiful megilah with illustrations on every column. The old shul is included in the Jood museum ticket so may as well go see it but it’s nothing to special, just old.

-The Foam museum was interesting and nice to walk through seeing the many different photo journalism displays. Not one of my favorite places though.

-The van loom museum is nice but a bit to regular type of art for my taste although the house it is in is quite nice to see. The Allard Pierson museum was a bit lame. It had a bunch of old objects from Egypt and Greece which I have seen a thousand different places before. If you are into artifacts from those times you may enjoy it otherwise don’t bother.

-The hermitage museum was the worst museum we went to on our trip. It was extremely plain mostly portraits and Christian paintings really advise not to bother going there.

-The Stejdlik museum was closed but they had a temporary space with 3 film exhibitions. No point in going until the full museum reopens.

-The Anne Frank house has massive lines if you plan on going make a reservation before through heir website. I do not see the big excitement about the house but that’s personal feelings so I won’t get into it.

-The Diamond museum was a total waste of time.

The most fun thing we did our entire trip must have been renting a paddle boat and driving the canals for 2 hours. We were having so much fun discovering birds’ nests with eggs in them and waving to everyone, the people of Amsterdam are so nice.

The flower market is nice I bought a beautiful orchid for my host there.

The kosher  sandwich store sal-meijer has extremely unique tasting meats being that they are all handmade by the owner. He also has stupendous mustard for the sandwiches and mayo for the fries. I am completely sold on the mayo and fries concept. You must have a few sandwiches from here.

The pizza shop Pizza co. had pretty good pizza nothing amazing but nice to have fresh good pizza while traveling, also the fries were good.

There is one main kosher grocery store and a kosher bakery, they both sell Sheffa yogurt which is the most amazing yogurt/breakfast food I have ever had! It has fresh fruit in the bottom and delicious yogurt on top. This is an absolute must have!

The food I tried at the bakery was pretty awful, although a loaf of bread was cheap and good for sandwiches.

I did not go on the tour of the Heineken factory because it was 17 euro and didn’t seem even close to worth that price. Instead I tried a local brew in a bar called IJ brewery it was a very good beer.

Also a must have while you’re in Holland is jonge jenever which is just gin, but I have had gin in America and it tastes nothing like this stuff which is delicious.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:45:37 AM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2012, 07:43:19 PM »
If thats only an expert when's the book come out :-). Great job man! Thanks
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline samsamsam

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2012, 03:59:59 PM »
Anyone have any idea where I can leave my luggage for 12 hours while I tour Amsterdam. Would hate to shlep it around all day?

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2012, 04:01:50 PM »

Offline rbsuperomi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Amsterdam 13 hour layover Thurs, January 31, 2013 - Delta flt. #34
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2012, 11:34:28 PM »
Young middle aged lady flying alone looking for ladies/girls who might be on this flight with whom to join in touring around Amsterdam that day.

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Amsterdam 13 hour layover Thurs, January 31, 2013 - Delta flt. #34
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2012, 11:43:55 PM »
Young middle-aged. What age is that?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2012, 11:46:11 PM »
Young middle-aged. What age is that?
Back off. She's looking for gals to join her, not guys  ;D
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2012, 11:51:16 PM »
maybe Aussie goes both ways :P

Anyway the trip DO's thread is prob a better place to post.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2012, 11:52:37 PM »
Yep, maybe a mod can merge it over. Better yet into the Ams thread

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2012, 11:54:27 PM »
I prefer the coffee shop over touring in AMS ;)

Was just asking. Nothing further.

Offline mochada

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2012, 11:56:26 PM »
I prefer the coffee shop over touring in AMS ;)

Was just asking. Nothing further.

Maybe she will join you.  Have a nice high heliga time!

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2012, 12:06:11 AM »
Sorry @rbsuperomi

Welcome to DDF!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 12:37:29 AM by PlatinumGuy »