Author Topic: So whats the story with dress shirts...  (Read 20945 times)

Offline bem684

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
So whats the story with dress shirts...
« on: April 11, 2013, 11:28:38 AM »
I'm not really looking for "deals" but was hoping to find some input about shirt quality vs price.  For the past 4 years I've bought nearly every white dress shirt I own at Kohls, spending between 9 and 15 bucks per shirt after discounts.  They have served me fine in Yeshiva and in an unskilled job, but they do tend to yellow and wear out within a year or 2 years at most.  No amount of cleaning gets them nice and white again.  Are the more expensive shirts from Paul Frederick, Jos A Bank, or any of the other stores that are frequently mentioned on DD going to last a lot longer than that?  Will they stay white longer?  If a $9 Kohls shirt lasts 1.5 years and a $25 Jos shirt will last less than 4, my choice will probably still be Kohls unless the look/feel is so much better with Jos.

Another though:  dirty children and grape juice stains don't care how much I paid for my shirt.  The chances of a shirt dying an early death get greater the more kids I have lol...

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
Re: So whats the story with dress shirts...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »
The Paul Frederick shirts are a great deal. For $19.95 i do not believe you can get much better. The shirts are good quality as well.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline nis965

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »
I like the Kirkland non iron dress shirts. They are 17.99. They are very comparable IMO to the $40 Lands End non iron shirts

Offline Mutty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 12:25:51 PM »
Go for the PF deal. I wear their shirts and am very happy. I use the non iron ($10 more).
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 12:27:40 PM »
I like the Kirkland non iron dress shirts. They are 17.99. They are very comparable IMO to the $40 Lands End non iron shirts
Don't really care for either of those myself.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 12:52:52 PM »
I use the non iron ($10 more).
How?

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 01:00:28 PM »
no one answered the OP's question

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 01:14:12 PM »
Go for the PF deal. I wear their shirts and am very happy. I use the non iron ($10 more).
Someone else mentioned this before.  How do you upgrade to non-iron?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline nis965

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 01:54:05 PM »
In the past I called and said I wanted to order your non iron dress shirts I saw that there is an introductory offer but I must have misplaced the code. Or something to that effect.

Offline smee123

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 02:22:45 PM »
Don't really care for either of those myself.
What do you wear?

Offline smee123

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 02:29:19 PM »
I'm not really looking for "deals" but was hoping to find some input about shirt quality vs price.  For the past 4 years I've bought nearly every white dress shirt I own at Kohls, spending between 9 and 15 bucks per shirt after discounts.  They have served me fine in Yeshiva and in an unskilled job, but they do tend to yellow and wear out within a year or 2 years at most.  No amount of cleaning gets them nice and white again.  Are the more expensive shirts from Paul Frederick, Jos A Bank, or any of the other stores that are frequently mentioned on DD going to last a lot longer than that?  Will they stay white longer?  If a $9 Kohls shirt lasts 1.5 years and a $25 Jos shirt will last less than 4, my choice will probably still be Kohls unless the look/feel is so much better with Jos.

Another though:  dirty children and grape juice stains don't care how much I paid for my shirt.  The chances of a shirt dying an early death get greater the more kids I have lol...
It all depends how often you wear each shirt, 1,2,3, or more ;) at a time. and ho wmany you're rotating, and how many hours? all day or just to work?
And usually the cleaners wear them out quicker... (and costs more than the shirt after a short time...)

Personally... BB are nice looking but people say they tear and mine began to fray after heavy use. but 2 of three have lasted over 1 1/2 yrs.
Now i go for the CT, if u get the right size they look nice and are not thin like BB, always NON-IRON of course.
Spray collar with shout then wash with tide and small amnt of bleach in hot....
Hope that helps  :)

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 02:51:51 PM »
Easy. Call them. Say you saw the offer for the 19.99. You wanted to know about non iron instead and they say okay for $10 extra. Worked for me fine. Didn't even need codes or anything.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline AWAYD

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
Brooks Brothers & Jos A Banks.

On the expensive side - but if you have at least 14 - then you don't wear them too often + you can definitely tell when a person wears a nicer shirt.

That, of course, matters only if you are in certain industries 

Offline az

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 07:18:16 PM »
+1

Offline DovtheBear

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »
When  theres a deal on the Jos A Bank, you can get them for about $23. But the best part is, that if anything happens to them you ship them back and get brand new ones. (even on already exchanged shirts!)
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 08:16:48 PM »
It all depends how often you wear each shirt, 1,2,3, or more ;) at a time. and ho wmany you're rotating, and how many hours? all day or just to work?
And usually the cleaners wear them out quicker... (and costs more than the shirt after a short time...)

Personally... BB are nice looking but people say they tear and mine began to fray after heavy use. but 2 of three have lasted over 1 1/2 yrs.
Now i go for the CT, if u get the right size they look nice and are not thin like BB, always NON-IRON of course.
Spray collar with shout then wash with tide and small amnt of bleach in hot....
Hope that helps  :)

Wow thanks that was helpful.  I almost never take a shirt to the cleaners.  I don't think they get it any cleaner than I do in the washing machine.  Just once in a long while I like to have them starched so then I wait for a sale at the cleaners.  I probably have about 14 shirts total but that includes both long and short sleeve, and I tend to wear one for several days then toss it in the hamper and switch.  I think I'll probably start rotating semi-systematically.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 09:32:35 PM »
I agree about the BB shirts. I have a lot of them and every single one of them is frayed on the sleeve creases. Beware.

Offline rochel

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 12:45:20 AM »
with seven jos a bank they should last a year and half,  if you like Kirkland, then you have not tried
Jos a bank travelers.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 11:32:36 AM »
with seven jos a bank they should last a year and half,  if you like Kirkland, then you have not tried
Jos a bank travelers.
I never tried their shirts. Are the travelers those light weight see through ones. I like thicker and iron free. Anyone know how they compare to PF shirts?

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 11:52:14 AM »
I never tried their shirts. Are the travelers those light weight see through ones. I like thicker and iron free. Anyone know how they compare to PF shirts?

The PF shirts are thick shirts. I find that the sleeves shrink after a couple of washes, so i order a bit longer on the sleeves than normal. Anyone else find issues which the PF sleeves?
Quaerite et Invenietis.