Author Topic: Intel vs Amd  (Read 8965 times)

Offline zvi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Intel vs Amd
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:39:09 PM »
Intel vs Amd

how much cheaper does it have to be to get the Amd

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Intel vs Amd
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 04:49:55 PM »
Are you really looking at two identical processors and the brand is the only diff.?

Offline zvi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 01:14:55 AM »
i heard that AMD overheat could anyone verify that.

Offline Monsey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 02:34:57 AM »
My father has a amd and it never overheats but he never really uses it heavily so maybe thats why

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 08:49:58 AM »
My father has a amd and it never overheats but he never really uses it heavily so maybe thats why
Intel has been considered the greater processor manufacture for the past few years. But it's a pretty loaded question.

I try to stick to intel because they are based in Israel and the US, while AMD is based in Japan and Germany. That doesn't mean I will never get AMD (the severs I buy usually are AMD)
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 04:18:53 AM »
Leaving technicalities aside, I would choose intel.
This amd overheating isn't applicable anymore, its just that my personal experiences were better with intel.

Buying an intel, I'd stick to a duo (and not quad), as 99% of the programs are not built to be run on auads, and so, you will see no higher performance = waste of money.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 05:43:04 AM »

Buying an intel, I'd stick to a duo (and not quad), as 99% of the programs are not built to be run on quads, and so, you will see no higher performance = waste of money.
That was true about 2 years ago when quads came out. By now over 50% of programs will utilize all 4 cores. Especially the programs that benifit the most from more power (i.e. photo/video editing, games, conversions, brute force)

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 06:34:04 AM »
Chaikel, I believe that you envision the future.

I like the brute force though, on a side line, if you plan using it over the web, you might want to advice your internet cafe to get quad, although the internet speed is the issue...

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
I would go with an Intel i-core chip.
They're still a bit more expensive, but worth the money over a duo or quad core2.

Essentially, they are 4 cores, however if the application was not written to use all 4 cores (as Chaikel and Superflyer were discussing), it will actually turn off the unused cores, and pump more voltage to the ones being used, raising the clock for the task at hand. Think of it like a hybrid chip. And the performance benchmarks blow anything else out of the water.
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 02:04:15 PM »
I would go with an Intel i-core chip.
They're still a bit more expensive, but worth the money over a duo or quad core2.

Essentially, they are 4 cores, however if the application was not written to use all 4 cores (as Chaikel and Superflyer were discussing), it will actually turn off the unused cores, and pump more voltage to the ones being used, raising the clock for the task at hand. Think of it like a hybrid chip. And the performance benchmarks blow anything else out of the water.
Would you recommend i5 or i7?
I often browse with FF with tons of tabs open which slows down my computer.
Would more ram (6GB or 8GB instead of 4GB) be a better upgrade or i5 to i7?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 02:05:12 PM »
More RAM. FF is a huge RAM hog

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 02:06:31 PM »
lol. my ff crashed the second I pressed post

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2023, 03:31:10 AM »
This description of the Surface Laptop 5's decision not to have an AMD option is hilarious. And true.

Also:

Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2023, 07:54:47 AM »
This description of the Surface Laptop 5's decision not to have an AMD option is hilarious. And true.

Also:

Shows why Intel pressed ahead with their anti competitive practices 15 years ago. A small slap on the wrist would still leave them coming out way, way ahead.

Online Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2023, 07:59:34 AM »
The sides are getting closer but the fight ain't over yet
#don'tmesswithisraelis
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2023, 10:24:06 AM »
Shows why Intel pressed ahead with their anti competitive practices 15 years ago. A small slap on the wrist would still leave them coming out way, way ahead.
There was no competition 15 years ago. None. Just some brief triumphs in the Athlon days before Intel launched Core.
AMD first became competitive in with Zen in desktops and with Zen 2 in laptops (Ryzen 4xxx and on). Now they both seem to be specializing - Intel in power and AMD in efficiency (aka power per watt, also resulting in better battery life). And even so their market share never cleared 25% against Intel.
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2023, 07:59:00 PM »
There was no competition 15 years ago. None. Just some brief triumphs in the Athlon days before Intel launched Core.
AMD first became competitive in with Zen in desktops and with Zen 2 in laptops (Ryzen 4xxx and on). Now they both seem to be specializing - Intel in power and AMD in efficiency (aka power per watt, also resulting in better battery life). And even so their market share never cleared 25% against Intel.
Sorry, I'm older than I think I am. I am talking about the early Athlons, when the Pentium IVs were slow and hot, but you could barely find AMD systems at any OEMs.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2023, 02:36:29 AM »
Sorry, I'm older than I think I am. I am talking about the early Athlons, when the Pentium IVs were slow and hot, but you could barely find AMD systems at any OEMs.
It is true that there were barely any AMD systems, but the reason was not Intel's practices - rather, there were severe incompatibility problems. AMD had a better processor but the headaches were often not worth it for the end-user, and the OEMs suffered when the user complained, so they generally spared themselves the headache.
I have a source somewhere - but do you remember this being the case? (I am younger than I think I am myself.)

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2023, 05:06:06 PM »
It is true that there were barely any AMD systems, but the reason was not Intel's practices - rather, there were severe incompatibility problems. AMD had a better processor but the headaches were often not worth it for the end-user, and the OEMs suffered when the user complained, so they generally spared themselves the headache.
I have a source somewhere - but do you remember this being the case? (I am younger than I think I am myself.)
Intel had "marketing funds" and they twisted OEM's arms to not sell AMD openly. At that time, AMD has brought its chipsets in house already and was much better with compatibility.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2023, 03:34:57 AM »
Intel had "marketing funds" and they twisted OEM's arms to not sell AMD openly. At that time, AMD has brought its chipsets in house already and was much better with compatibility.
I can't seem to find (so far) the reference to the troubles people had with early AMD Athlons. I'm sure I'll find it at some point. Meanwhile, in my random thread, I posted a history of AMD for those who are curious. It's quite long - fair warning.
Posted in reference to the Intel vs AMD thread - an AMD history from MPC. Posted here to avoid cluttering the other thread.