Author Topic: ual/continental merger question  (Read 2616 times)

Offline dpeikes

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
ual/continental merger question
« on: July 01, 2010, 08:01:15 AM »
I have about 20K points from my chase saphire card that I can convert at a 1:1 to continental miles.  I would rather have UAL miles.  Does anybody know how they are planning on handling the merging of the milage programs?  I looked at the merger website and it is vauge at best

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: ual/continental merger question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 09:26:06 AM »
Why would you rather UA miles? They're far less valuable due to Starnet blocking.

Anyway based on federal approval later this year expect the merger of the mileage programs by the middle of next year or so.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline dpeikes

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:39:04 AM »
Dan I have abou 46K of UAL miles already so adding another 26K to it gives me a little more buying power.  Also I am in Chicago a UAL hub so it makes things a little better.  My dad is a 1K member on UAL so I come from a UAL family.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »
 1- no telling when the merge will happen,by DL & NW it was well over a yr , and the govt  can still KO the whole thing

2- as for being from Chicago what does that have to do with the price of tea in China, Chic is also a major hub for AA.Loyalty begins and ends with Your Pocket very simple.

I live a 15 min drive from EWR and till last yr even thou I was a CO Plat most of my domestic trips didnt start at EWR, too expensive. Now Im a UA 1K and UA hadly serves NY but it still makes sense benefit wise so I fly them and go out of my way to. If tommorrow another Carrier turns out to be a better match for me then Good-bye UA, its that simple

Offline dpeikes

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 06:32:53 PM »
just got this email:

We're pleased to tell you that on May 3, 2010, United Airlines® and Continental Airlines® announced a merger to create the world's leading airline. This merger will offer superb benefits and opportunities for business and leisure travelers. To learn more, visit: www.unitedcontinentalmerger.com.

Earn and use your miles just as you always have.
The miles and great benefits you currently enjoy as a Mileage Plus® member and United® Mileage Plus Visa® cardmember will remain unchanged. You will continue to be able to:

•   
Earn miles when you fly with United, Continental and their Star AllianceTM partners.

•   
Earn miles when you spend using your United credit or debit cards.

•   
Earn Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM).

•   
Use your miles for flights, hotel stays, car rentals, merchandise and more.

After the merger closes, your United Mileage Plus and Continental OnePass® miles will combine into a single account, and create what we expect will be an industry-leading loyalty program.

Flying with the world's leading airline offers many benefits:

•   
10 hubs servicing 37 destinations in 59 countries.

•   
Enhanced opportunities to earn and use miles.

•   
Elite member benefits.

Since Chase issues both United and Continental credit cards, we will keep you informed as progress is made toward a combined airline and combined credit card program. Any card program changes related to the merger will not take effect until after the merger closes, which is expected near the end of 2010.

Keep using your United Mileage Plus Visa for all of your purchases, and watch how quickly your miles can get you to your next destination.

Sincerely,

Deb Walden
Executive Vice President
Customer Experience
Chase Card Services   

Robert Sahadevan
Vice President
Mileage Plus
United Airlines