Author Topic: Sedona, AZ  (Read 28829 times)

Offline chaya123

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Sedona, AZ
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 09:34:50 PM »
Very good(and accurate!) write up! You never made it to the creek though?

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 09:45:56 PM »
You never made it to the creek though?
You mean Red Rock creek? The little national park?
Is there water in Sedona anywhere else but there cause I was really searching to see the water-red rocks combination and was told to go there but didn't have too much time till sunset. Basically all I managed to see of the above mentioned combination is the image below but I saw more images online, are they all in that park or there's more elsewhere?
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2013, 12:38:25 AM »
Very good(and accurate!) write up! You never made it to the creek though?

Nope. Not sure what creek you are referring to.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline chaya123

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2013, 12:45:21 AM »
You mean Red Rock creek? The little national park?
Is there water in Sedona anywhere else but there cause I was really searching to see the water-red rocks combination and was told to go there but didn't have too much time till sunset. Basically all I managed to see of the above mentioned combination is the image below but I saw more images online, are they all in that park or there's more elsewhere?

Only in the little park? Oak creek runs all the way from Flagstaff and around the lower lying areas of town! Every few years when there is excess rainfall they have to evacuate people in houses near the creek due to flooding... Basically there are about a million spots to go to, some more well know than others. They also serve different purposes... Red Rock Crossing, the picture you have above is a nice more tourist-y area of the creek, better during the "off season" but nice. Even there though you hike quite a bit and find interesting spots less highly populated. The hiking trails by the creek(through Oak Creek Canyon enroute to Flagstaff) are good too for the summer especially. Favorite trail of those being westfork. (see https://www.google.com/search?q=west+fork+sedona )

I think the Verde River actually might connect to Sedona as well...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:07:37 AM by chaya123 »

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 09:24:16 AM »
Only in the little park? Oak creek runs all the way from Flagstaff and around the lower lying areas of town! Every few years when there is excess rainfall they have to evacuate people in houses near the creek due to flooding... Basically there are about a million spots to go to, some more well know than others. They also serve different purposes... Red Rock Crossing, the picture you have above is a nice more tourist-y area of the creek, better during the "off season" but nice. Even there though you hike quite a bit and find interesting spots less highly populated. The hiking trails by the creek(through Oak Creek Canyon enroute to Flagstaff) are good too for the summer especially. Favorite trail of those being westfork. (see https://www.google.com/search?q=west+fork+sedona )

I think the Verde River actually might connect to Sedona as well...

I stopped at Oak Creek Canyon on my way down from Flagstaff to Sedona but, although the scenery is nice, I saw no red rocks there..

Regarding the water spots, everyone in town just told me to go to Red Rock Creek. I'd think if there were a million spots to go to I'd pass them, I really was all over town...

Below is a pic of Oak Creek Canyon, I was told by some locals just to drive through it if en route to Sedona and not to delve much in it as it is nothing compared to Sedona.. is there more to it?

Offline chaya123

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2013, 11:13:31 PM »
I stopped at Oak Creek Canyon on my way down from Flagstaff to Sedona but, although the scenery is nice, I saw no red rocks there..

Regarding the water spots, everyone in town just told me to go to Red Rock Creek. I'd think if there were a million spots to go to I'd pass them, I really was all over town...

Below is a pic of Oak Creek Canyon, I was told by some locals just to drive through it if en route to Sedona and not to delve much in it as it is nothing compared to Sedona.. is there more to it?

I guess it depends what you are looking for but it really does go down around the lower town...

This(none are my pictures) is up creek from where you were to illustrate... If you have more time probably would have went up. More rocks up there and better waterslides. You could keep hiking up or down for a while though if you are sticking on the main path(and then some if you have good shoes and/or walk across.)

This is down in the canyon during a very low water level time. (Varies greatly between seasons.)

For the serious hikers this photo is probably about right past the three mile(official trail end) mark at Westfork(trail in canyon). Very well known and still cool even if you aren't up to the long hike. (google westfork sedona for better photos)

Theres plenty more areas where people hang out more or less similar to the above. For internet speed-sake I'll leave you with that. All does depend on the season you go... My brother and his friends the second the creek got warm enough used to go jump off the cliffs near Midgley bridge(the big one right outside town in canyon).

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:19:28 PM by chaya123 »

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2013, 11:17:44 PM »
Just to understand correctly, all those pictures are Sedona, not Oak Creek Canyon, right?

Offline chaya123

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2013, 11:21:51 PM »
Just to understand correctly, all those pictures are Sedona, not Oak Creek Canyon, right?

They are kind of considered one in the same... the bottom of the canyon is sedona, the top flagstaff.  The creek area you went to is down where it all loops around below I guess but these are all just the same creek. Let me see if I can find a good map...

Offline chaya123

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2013, 11:25:22 PM »
This map will give you an idea of what I mean it goes down into town...

http://www.discoverymap.com/Arizona/map-of-sedona-oak-creek-jerome-arizona.html

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2013, 11:30:34 PM »
What I was trying to say in one of my previous posts is that creek scenery north of Sedona might be a nice place for  people who live 5 minutes from there to go for a little hike. But for us tourists, if we're going to be around that area, we're not gonna spend more than 2 minutes there knowing that Sedona (i.e. red rock beautiful scenery) is right around the corner.
I might be totally wrong but based on my research that's what I gathered and did.

Mind clarifying?

Offline chaya123

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2013, 11:49:30 PM »
What I was trying to say in one of my previous posts is that creek scenery north of Sedona might be a nice place for  people who live 5 minutes from there to go for a little hike. But for us tourists, if we're going to be around that area, we're not gonna spend more than 2 minutes there knowing that Sedona (i.e. red rock beautiful scenery) is right around the corner.
I might be totally wrong but based on my research that's what I gathered and did.

Mind clarifying?

You're right it does totally depend on your trip length, what you are looking for. I can tell you that the canyon is filled with tourists so much so they had to ban parking along the road for safety reasons. Locals aren't so interested because it actually is out of the way and worse with tourist traffic. Parts are definitely worth it though in the summer months when anywhere else is pretty brutal. As I said originally, its a good write up you really got a feel for the some of the great sightseeing spots in town, I was just curious!

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »
This map will give you an idea of what I mean it goes down into town...

http://www.discoverymap.com/Arizona/map-of-sedona-oak-creek-jerome-arizona.html

Hey, this is a great map! Thanks
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline moka

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2016, 03:35:06 PM »
any point hotels in the sedona area?
spg and hyatt dont seem to have anything.
if i have to pay, any recommendations?

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2016, 04:37:06 PM »
any point hotels in the sedona area?
spg and hyatt dont seem to have anything.
if i have to pay, any recommendations?
http://hyattpinonpointe.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

Offline moka

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2016, 07:39:12 PM »

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2016, 07:49:16 PM »
its not bookable with points or free nights
New thing? Was definitely bookable last year.

Offline moka

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2016, 12:22:12 PM »
New thing? Was definitely bookable last year.
Yes seems so. I called twice.
I booked the hilton sedona for cash. 

Offline bigworld

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2016, 04:38:22 PM »
Anyone have any advice what to do with tefillin in car on a day trip when its 95 degrees outside?