Author Topic: Can you BBQ fish on a meat grill?  (Read 16428 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Can you BBQ fish on a meat grill?
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2013, 01:47:28 PM »
I'm not sure what your question is. You want to know the source for being machmir or meikal in this? I  have seen conflicting psaks all the time I assume that isn't news to you.
Just pointing out a seemingly contradictory POV

Offline Menachem613

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2013, 07:34:07 PM »
All of Jewish law in its entirety was given to Moses on my sini with six hundred thousand witnesses. One part of the law was transmitted orally and another written.
what's your question?

...though the Oirach Chaim in Devarim holds that Moishe Rabbeinu wrote Devarim on his own. 

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2013, 07:36:28 PM »
...though the Oirach Chaim in Devarim holds that Moishe Rabbeinu wrote Devarim on his own.
And we can all quote daos yachids about a lot of things (rasag believed that Hashem, chalilah, has a guf) but that's not normative thought (and if you believe it, it will brand you a kofer)
Please leave the chip which resides on your shoulder somewhere else before coming to DDF
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:40:32 PM by Ergel »
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2013, 08:35:58 PM »
You clearly totally missed and distorted the OC's intention. He is referring to a gemora in megila 31, (see tosfes there if you're at all interested.) Also see ramban in hakdoma to chumash.

All the sifrei nevim and kesuvim were written by the novi in the novi's perspective.... If you honestly want to understand the frum belief system I would gladly offer you some direction. If you are a non believer and are looking to make trouble, I have no interest in debating you. The truth is that there are good answers to everything, but if one does not want to accept, every proof for emuna can be distorted as a "proof" c'v of kefira.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:39:17 PM by churnbabychurn »

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »
You clearly totally missed and distorted the OC's intention. He is referring to a gemora in megila 31, (see tosfes there if you're at all interested.) Also see ramban in hakdoma to chumash.

All the sifrei nevim and kesuvim were written by the novi in the novi's perspective.... If you honestly want to understand the frum belief system I would gladly offer you some direction. If you are a non believer and are looking to make trouble, I have no interest in debating you. The truth is that there are good answers to everything, but if one does not want to accept, every proof for emuna can be distorted as a "proof" c'v of kefira.

I reviewed the OC and the Tosfas you referenced. I stand by my statement.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2013, 03:39:49 PM »
Which is exactly why the whole thing should be thrown out and streamlined.

But then they can't bury hide all the loopholes (pork, special interests, call it what you want) written into the current code.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
I reviewed the OC and the Tosfas you referenced. I stand by my statement.
Sanhedrin 99a:
והאומר אין תורה מן השמים וכו': תנו רבנן כי דבר ה' בזה ומצותו הפר הכרת תכרת זה האומר אין תורה מן השמים ד"א כי דבר ה' בזה זה אפיקורוס ד"א כי דבר ה' בזה זה המגלה פנים בתורה ואת מצותו הפר זה המפר ברית בשר הכרת תכרת הכרת בעולם הזה תכרת לעולם הבא מכאן אמר רבי אליעזר המודעי המחלל את הקדשים והמבזה את המועדות והמפר בריתו של אברהם אבינו והמגלה פנים בתורה שלא כהלכה והמלבין פני חבירו ברבים אף על פי שיש בידו תורה ומעשים טובים אין לו חלק לעולם הבא תניא אידך כי דבר ה' בזה זה האומר אין תורה מן השמים ואפילו אמר כל התורה כולה מן השמים חוץ מפסוק זה שלא אמרו הקדוש ברוך הוא אלא משה מפי עצמו זהו כי דבר ה' בזה ואפילו אמר כל התורה כולה מן השמים חוץ מדקדוק זה מקל וחומר זה מגזרה שוה זו זה הוא כי דבר ה' בזה

You should know that many times there is a "kasha" on a principle of faith. Sometimes you may even find a "Mekor" to concept that goes against one of the thirteen principles.
The difference between a "Maamin bemuna shleima upeshuta" and the heretic, is that one understand that as with all other areas of torah, there are always multiple terutzim and explanations. The kashas cannot ever sway his belief set, he knows that they are true just as the day is clear. The heretic usually never accepted the thirteen principles as absolute truths in the first place (Generally newcomers to yiddishkeit).

The tone of your "statement" sounded like your in the latter camp. Good luck in accepting the truth.  :)

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2013, 09:52:26 PM »
Sanhedrin 99a:
You should know that many times there is a "kasha" on a principle of faith. Sometimes you may even find a "Mekor" to concept that goes against one of the thirteen principles.
The difference between a "Maamin bemuna shleima upeshuta" and the heretic, is that one understand that as with all other areas of torah, there are always multiple terutzim and explanations. The kashas cannot ever sway his belief set, he knows that they are true just as the day is clear. The heretic usually never accepted the thirteen principles as absolute truths in the first place (Generally newcomers to yiddishkeit).

The tone of your "statement" sounded like your in the latter camp. Good luck in accepting the truth.  :)

As an aside, not all Rishonim agreed with the Rambam's 13 principles, and that doesn't make them any less frum for disagreeing with him.  Also, doesn't Rashi say that the last 8 Pesukim were written by Yehoshua? Furthermore, I hope you don't say Borchuni Lesholom as part of Shaloim Aleichim, as that runs counter to one of the the Rambam's 13 principles of only davening to Hashem and not to angels.

Offline Club2000

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta P, AA Gold 4 Life, Starwood Gold
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2013, 09:55:35 PM »
Is it ok to BBQ fish on a meat grill or do you need extra racks? Just askin

Need to wait 24h after clean same for frying pan
Lechumra alte rebbe

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2013, 10:02:42 PM »
Lechumra alte rebbe

I assume (but don't know for certain) that Sefardim hold the same with respect to mixing fish and milchig as per the Shulchan Aruch.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2013, 11:01:14 PM »
As an aside, not all Rishonim agreed with the Rambam's 13 principles, and that doesn't make them any less frum for disagreeing with him.  Also, doesn't Rashi say that the last 8 Pesukim were written by Yehoshua? Furthermore, I hope you don't say Borchuni Lesholom as part of Shaloim Aleichim, as that runs counter to one of the the Rambam's 13 principles of only davening to Hashem and not to angels.
Everyone agrees that "kol hatorah hamutzuya beyadeinu was given to Moshe on sini"
Exactly how to reconcile this absolutely true statement with the many kashas is up for major debate. Chazal already grapple with this issues, as you pointed out- the discussion re the last few pesukim discussing Moshes death etc.
All the kashas and shitos in the world cannot change the fact that kol hatorah shebicsav and shebal peh was transmitted from G-D to Moshe. In normative traditional Judaism this was never up for debate, ever.   

Offline Armadillo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2013, 05:51:56 PM »
Upthread they said that simply turning up the heat for a while is sufficient to kasher..
that was about meat - fish, iirc

Offline Armadillo

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2013, 05:53:14 PM »
Point 7 only said it is extremely difficult and advised not to bother kashering like in 8. when if it is your grill you may as well buy an extra grate. Just seems like good advice.
+1 (the answer to 8 is the reason for the answer to 7)

Offline Armadillo

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2013, 06:03:15 PM »
Lechumra alte rebbe
Many people hold this way (lechatchila), in particular chassidim. They won't use a ben yomo meat pot for fish and vice versa. Some even have a separate fish pot.
The OU statement above was probably in line with this shita, lechatchila.
Practically speaking, cleaning off any mamoshus (actual particles) and bringing it to the highest (used) heat for a few minutes would be enough.
(Leaving the MG"A aside, there is a whole other discussion to be had, which is "do we say sakana on bleeos?" The answer to that has a lot to do with the varying psakim in the OP shayla)

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2013, 08:35:28 PM »
...yet the same people won't hesitate to smoke.

Offline Armadillo

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2013, 09:10:55 PM »
...yet the same people won't hesitate to smoke.
apparently, someone saw that chip on your shoulder and cemented it