Author Topic: NBA Master Thread  (Read 753687 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: NBA Master Thread
« Reply #4840 on: July 06, 2018, 11:38:00 AM »
No upside for their game.
Maybe players are upset at KD and want to keep the league normal, let KD go down in history for ruining the league and not everyone wants to play ball with that pos (mentality).

At a certain point players have to realize that super teams are bad for the NBA overall.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: July 06, 2018, 11:44:21 AM »
Maybe players are upset at KD and want to keep the league normal, let KD go down in history for ruining the league and not everyone wants to play ball with that pos (mentality).

At a certain point players have to realize that super teams are bad for the NBA overall.
Bad for the NBA? You do know that just about all of the NBA's best stretches were times when there was a dynasty, right?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #4842 on: July 06, 2018, 11:46:54 AM »
Bad for the NBA? You do know that just about all of the NBA's best stretches were times when there was a dynasty, right?
Source?

Are you talking about looking back? Or when the most fans watched NBA games? Especially regular season games.

Also please let me know why dynasty=super team? IMO there is no connection.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: July 06, 2018, 11:59:27 AM »
Source?

Are you talking about looking back? Or when the most fans watched NBA games? Especially regular season games.

Also please let me know why dynasty=super team? IMO there is no connection.
You want me to provide sources, but you don't bother?

How about you explain why 'super-teams are bad for the NBA overall'?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: July 06, 2018, 12:48:53 PM »
Maybe the sun won't come up tomorrow. Kyrie left because of LBJ. It had nothing to do about any super team but all about improving his game.

I love how you blame KD when LBJ started it. But wait he brought a championship to CLE so facts no longer matter.

I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4845 on: July 06, 2018, 12:58:42 PM »
LBJ started by going to a team that won more games than ever before?
Cool story bro!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: July 06, 2018, 01:01:08 PM »
You want me to provide sources, but you don't bother?

How about you explain why 'super-teams are bad for the NBA overall'?
https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/nba-viewership-hits-five-year-low-league-fix-problem/

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: July 06, 2018, 01:02:31 PM »
Maybe the sun won't come up tomorrow. Kyrie left because of LBJ. It had nothing to do about any super team but all about improving his game.

I love how you blame KD when LBJ started it. But wait he brought a championship to CLE so facts no longer matter.

We've gone through this 100x times in this thread. I agree 100% LeBron, DW, and Bosch started the super team trend, but KD took it to a completely new plane of existence.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: July 06, 2018, 01:05:37 PM »
LBJ started by going to a team that won more games than ever before?
Cool story bro!
I didn't say that but nice twist. Durrant went to a team that just lost a NBA championship. That is some super team. One player does not make a super team.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: July 06, 2018, 01:06:45 PM »
We've gone through this 100x times in this thread. I agree 100% LeBron, DW, and Bosch started the super team trend, but KD took it to a completely new plane of existence.
Durrant went to a team that just lost a NBA championship. That is some super team. One player does not make a super team.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: July 06, 2018, 01:11:22 PM »

Sigh. Only because it's Friday...been through this way too many times.

What is a super team?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: July 06, 2018, 01:15:11 PM »
What is a super team?
That is what I am trying to figure out. Was GS a super team before KD arrived?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: July 06, 2018, 02:01:49 PM »
That is what I am trying to figure out. Was GS a super team before KD arrived?
Before we go further, we should define what a Super Team is:

-- It boasts two, three or more stars on its roster, any one of whom would be able to anchor a franchise on his own.

-- Trades and/or free agency had to have been used to unite those stars, either in their prime or at least after obvious, recognized success (All-Star appearances, all-NBA selections, major awards won).

-- The team needs to be a reasonable contender, not merely a collection of big names past their prime and far back of the reigning conference or league champs.

-- Bonus points if media outlets have carried one or more stories about the alleged Super Team wondering a) if one basketball is enough, or b) how the stars’ strong personalities might gel or repel.

Historically, it’s rare that an NBA champion hasn’t had two or more All-Stars or even future Hall of Famers (Golden State in 1975, Seattle in 1979 and Detroit in 2004 come to mind). But based on the criteria above, even the great Minneapolis Lakers teams (five titles from 1949 to 1954) and the Red Auerbach/Bill Russell Celtics don’t qualify as precursors of today’s Super Teams.

The Lakers rounded up legendary players such as George Mikan, Jim Pollard, Slater Martin and Vern Mikkelsen the old-fashioned way, by drafting and developing. Ditto for those Celtics that won 11 titles in 13 years. Russell arrived in a trade the day he was drafted and the rest of them – Bob Cousy, Tom Heinsohn, John Havlicek, Sam Jones, K.C. Jones and more – essentially were homegrown or acquired without fanfare or portfolios.

The same held true for the later champs in Boston and Los Angeles. Larry Bird, Robert Parish, Kevin McHale, Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge didn’t arrive fully formed and ready to kick NBA butt any more than Magic Johnson, Byron Scott, James Worthy or Michael Cooper did.

Similarly, Chicago’s dynasty was built off one draft pick (Michael Jordan) and one trade (for Scottie Pippen), with entirely different supporting casts for each three-peat. Kobe Bryant was a rookie fresh from high school when the Lakers added him in the same offseason they landed Shaquille O’Neal. No Super Team approach there, either.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/07/01/nba-super-teams-and-history

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: July 06, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »
https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/nba-viewership-hits-five-year-low-league-fix-problem/
Viewership is a very narrow lens, one that's not very well suited to determining whether something is 'good for the NBA' in today's day and age. Profit would probably be even better, but I could only find revenue in my brief search:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/193503/nba-franchises-average-revenue-multiple-since-2005/

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: July 06, 2018, 02:21:43 PM »
Viewership is a very narrow lens, one that's not very well suited to determining whether something is 'good for the NBA' in today's day and age. Profit would probably be even better, but I could only find revenue in my brief search:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/193503/nba-franchises-average-revenue-multiple-since-2005/
"Profit would probably be even better" How do teams earn money? What strategies have changed since 2005? Could be a multitude of reasons that teams earn more.

Maybe they raised the prices of food and drinks.

From what I've seen online, most fans don't like that KD joined the warriors. Or when Lebron went to Miami with DW and CB.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: July 06, 2018, 02:25:49 PM »
Before we go further, we should define what a Super Team is:

-- It boasts two, three or more stars on its roster, any one of whom would be able to anchor a franchise on his own.
So can we agree GS was not a super team before KD arrived?

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: July 06, 2018, 02:29:28 PM »
"Profit would probably be even better" How do teams earn money? What strategies have changed since 2005? Could be a multitude of reasons that teams earn more.

Maybe they raised the prices of food and drinks.

From what I've seen online, most fans don't like that KD joined the warriors. Or when Lebron went to Miami with DW and CB.
So define what you meant by 'bad for the NBA'. You're being as vague as you need to in order to 'prove' whatever your point is.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: July 06, 2018, 02:39:39 PM »
So can we agree GS was not a super team before KD arrived?
Did you hear anyone complaining about GS being too good before KD joined? This is the point, it's KD joining an already histrionically great team, that we are kvetching about.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: July 06, 2018, 02:40:37 PM »
So define what you meant by 'bad for the NBA'. You're being as vague as you need to in order to 'prove' whatever your point is.
Fans don't like it overall and they will likely watch the regular season less because it means less when one team is such a clear favorite to win.

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: July 06, 2018, 02:43:30 PM »
my guess for stars not wanting to play with Lebron is because he is bad for their brands. He is to big to allow another player to maximize his brand.