Author Topic: NBA Master Thread  (Read 755831 times)

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Re: NBA Master Thread
« Reply #5440 on: June 16, 2021, 11:37:01 AM »
Yup - it's been a wild 12 hours or so!
Now Scott Brooks is out in Washington

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #5442 on: June 16, 2021, 11:53:06 AM »
https://theathletic.com/2646647/2021/06/11/nba-tv-ratings-analysis-diehards-are-back-casuals-are-not-is-the-league-eager-for-expansion/
Bypass: https://archive.is/sVEHm
First round was down slightly from 2 years ago. Its understandable that the second round is down as LeBron, Curry etc. are out and the teams left arent legacy teams. Doubt it has to do with politics

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: June 16, 2021, 12:02:28 PM »
Based on the politics on this forum, is it a surprise that people tuned the NBA out?
Probably the same reason ratings are down.
I'm sorry, but if you stop following a sport because of 'politics' that have zero impact on the actual games, that's pretty pathetic.

ETA: Also, the NHL thread here has been ridiculously quiet compared to previous playoff years. Does the NHL have similar 'politics' issues?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5444 on: June 16, 2021, 12:03:45 PM »
I'm sorry, but if you stop following a sport because of 'politics' that have zero impact on the actual games, that's pretty pathetic.
Look at the ratings now versus pre-Trump. You don't think politics had to do with that?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5445 on: June 16, 2021, 12:06:52 PM »
Look at the ratings now versus pre-Trump. You don't think politics had to do with that?
I'm not commenting on whether it's affecting ratings or not. I'm commenting on it being an insane and stupid reasoning.

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5446 on: June 16, 2021, 12:11:51 PM »
No I do not. Now maybe this thread will be revived since you are bringing politics in. It has to do with people consuming games differently. They only care about highlights and stats for fantasy teams/ gambling 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5447 on: June 16, 2021, 12:14:30 PM »
No I do not. Now maybe this thread will be revived since you are bringing politics in. It has to do with people consuming games differently. They only care about highlights and stats for fantasy teams/ gambling 
So until 2016 they wanted to watch full games and now it switched to highlights only? Why?

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5448 on: June 16, 2021, 12:20:21 PM »
So until 2016 they wanted to watch full games and now it switched to highlights only? Why?
Its the new generation I guess.... (also all the load management)  Listen Im no ratings expert but I dont understand how you think Trump has a huge affect on NBA ratings... His fans were most likely not watching NBA to begin with and those who were (like me) would continue, I dont see why he would stop them from doing something they enjoy

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: June 16, 2021, 12:23:01 PM »
We are really missing the headline!

KD played a full 48 minutes and did not sit down once and dropped 49, 15, and 10

This was an all time playoff performance!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5450 on: June 16, 2021, 12:27:21 PM »
Its the new generation I guess.... (also all the load management)  Listen Im no ratings expert but I dont understand how you think Trump has a huge affect on NBA ratings... His fans were most likely not watching NBA to begin with and those who were (like me) would continue, I dont see why he would stop them from doing something they enjoy
Half the audience of 5 years ago and it's because of a new generation that magically popped up in half a decade?
Not buying that, but open to other theories.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #5451 on: June 16, 2021, 12:32:43 PM »
Half the audience of 5 years ago and it's because of a new generation that magically popped up in half a decade?
Not buying that, but open to other theories.

Pirated streams are at all-time highs. So is cord-cutting, and a lot of games are on cable.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: June 16, 2021, 12:52:07 PM »

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: June 16, 2021, 12:54:04 PM »
No

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #5454 on: June 16, 2021, 01:03:31 PM »
A new Harris Poll backs Trump’s critique of the NBA, with 39% of sports fans saying they are watching fewer games. And the chief reason why? Politics. The longtime polling agency surveyed nearly 2,000 people over the weekend and gave those who identified as sports fans—two-thirds of the total—ten options to choose from on why they are watching less basketball.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2020/09/02/poll-38-of-sports-fans-say-nba-is-too-political-for-reason-why-they-are-watching-less/?sh=2e05cade7aac
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online mochjas

• View Profile

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: June 16, 2021, 01:10:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1405205626180059143

Wowww
He can opt out after the season, gonna be real interesting to see what he does

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #5457 on: June 16, 2021, 01:19:30 PM »
What about NFL? They are not political? MLB ? To say this is an NBA problem is nuts
Do a poll of 2,000 people and you can find out.

Or say you don't believe the poll.

But asking if it applies to other sports doesn't disprove any data...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5458 on: June 16, 2021, 01:21:05 PM »
Do a poll of 2,000 people and you can find out.

Or say you don't believe the poll.

But asking if it applies to other sports doesn't disprove any data...
This is what you call data? A poll with 2,000 people? Give me a break

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5459 on: June 16, 2021, 01:28:28 PM »
Also I’m sure there’s a lot of confirmation bias in the results. The trends precede the social justice messaging and trumps criticism of the sport. But ppl may respond that their disinterest is a result of the politics because they read it in trumps tweets.
It was 38% of 2,000 people and this was during the bubble when everyone was on edge. I do not consider that data