Author Topic: NBA Master Thread  (Read 752119 times)

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Master Thread
« Reply #5540 on: July 23, 2021, 07:20:45 PM »
so based on that overtime he is now worthless? Based on a 5 minute sample size? Really? We are going to throw out the rest of the season and the playoffs in the garbage? Do you hear yourself?

Playoff sample sizes count MUCH more than regular season sample sizes. Especially in elimination games. Especially in OT.

Offline mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #5541 on: July 23, 2021, 07:21:27 PM »
Was Giannis injured and potentially past his prime when he got his $???
no, but did you see how he played vs Miami in the playoffs last year? They completely locked him down

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #5542 on: July 23, 2021, 07:23:46 PM »
Playoff sample sizes count MUCH more than regular season sample sizes. Especially in elimination games. Especially in OT.
go look at his playoff sample size in Golden state then. I’m not judging him on 5 minutes when he didn’t get a break all game. He’s 9-0 in finals games. I think that’s a pretty good record and a much better sample size. You guys don’t realize how stupid you sound criticizing KD for his performance in this years playoffs he literally left everything on the floor.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: July 23, 2021, 07:26:26 PM »
how is it a risk? You are still not giving me a better alternative? They signed him as a free agent. What’s the worse that can happen? They didn’t give up anything to get him. It’s not a risk at all. And like I said 2 years ago, their doctor did the surgery so they had his medical records.

Worst that could happen is they could waste $ and the opportunity to put a better team together. They basically are paying him 60m/year for 2 years. In my book, if that wins a championship it will have been worth it in hindsight. If it doesn't, it would not have been worth it in hindsight. And that's after many things went right for them that could have gone badly. 

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: July 23, 2021, 07:27:07 PM »
no, but did you see how he played vs Miami in the playoffs last year? They completely locked him down

Good thing he's in his prime and still getting better

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: July 23, 2021, 07:28:58 PM »
go look at his playoff sample size in Golden state then. I’m not judging him on 5 minutes when he didn’t get a break all game. He’s 9-0 in finals games. I think that’s a pretty good record and a much better sample size. You guys don’t realize how stupid you sound criticizing KD for his performance in this years playoffs he literally left everything on the floor.

GS got a great deal with his contract

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: July 23, 2021, 07:31:41 PM »

I'm not saying he's a bad player. He's a great player. Nets took a huge gamble, and the gamble almost paid off, but didn't. They will have another chance, and perhaps they will do worse, perhaps they will do better, perhaps they will do the same. But a gamble "almost" paying off doesn't count for much. 

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: July 23, 2021, 07:33:23 PM »
I'm not saying he's a bad player. He's a great player. Nets took a huge gamble, and the gamble almost paid off, but didn't. They will have another chance, and perhaps they will do worse, perhaps they will do better, perhaps they will do the same. But a gamble "almost" paying off doesn't count for much.
what was the gamble?

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: July 23, 2021, 07:35:08 PM »
Good thing he's in his prime and still getting better
getting better? He was down 45 points to a nets team without their second and 4th nest players

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: July 23, 2021, 07:41:33 PM »
I think you’re forgetting the outcome

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #5550 on: July 23, 2021, 07:49:07 PM »
no problem but you didn’t say when the Bucks gave Giannis his $ that it was the stupidest thing they could have done. You gave him his chance to win a ring.

KD had one shot so far and failed why doesn’t he get a few shots like Giannis did? You can’t tell me when the Bucks were down 49 points to the Nets in game 2 that Giannis was worth the $ then. Plus his team won 2 playoff  games without him this year so relax in the whole Giannis is worth the $.
You have to remember the money was for an injured player. Big risk and IMHO, stupid.

Bucks got their return on G already. Nets might get even a bigger return but today that is not the case. Those are the facts.

I have nothing against either player. KD has my respect for playing for the US.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: July 23, 2021, 07:52:12 PM »
so based on that overtime he is now worthless? Based on a 5 minute sample size? Really? We are going to throw out the rest of the season and the playoffs in the garbage? Do you hear yourself?
Never said he is worthless. He is a top player in the league.
We both know if that happens again next year he will be labeled...  ;)

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: July 24, 2021, 10:34:37 PM »
You have to remember the money was for an injured player. Big risk and IMHO, stupid.

Bucks got their return on G already. Nets might get even a bigger return but today that is not the case. Those are the facts.

I have nothing against either player. KD has my respect for playing for the US.
can someone please explain the risk to me I still don’t see the risk? They signed him as a free agent. Who were they getting that was better? Their doctor did the surgery. He is one of the best shooters ever even if he wasn’t himself he’s still a top 15 player at worse with his size and shot. It was a no brainer and any team would have given him the max. The same thing with Kawhi this year. Teams will lone up to give him the max even though he will moss the first year of his contract and yes I know an ACL injury is not as bad as an Achilles injury

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: July 24, 2021, 10:36:54 PM »
120m/2 years for an injured player that may or may not return to his former self.

Significantly limiting what they can do for up to 4 years total.

Again - it’s a gamble that May pay off. It hasn’t yet.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: July 24, 2021, 10:37:52 PM »
I think you’re forgetting the outcome
no I’m not. You seem to just be looking at the final results and not how we got there. All experts agree that if the Nets are fully healthy the Bucks were not beating them. (You don’t need to be an expert for this) They couldn’t even beat them with 2 healthy stars. Yes at the end of the day they did end up winning. Who knows if Trae Young doesn’t get hurt they might have gotten beat by Atlanta for crying out loud

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: July 24, 2021, 10:40:06 PM »
no I’m not. You seem to just be looking at the final results and not how we got there. All experts agree that if the Nets are fully healthy the Bucks were not beating them. (You don’t need to be an expert for this) They couldn’t even beat them with 2 healthy stars. Yes at the end of the day they did end up winning. Who knows if Trae Young doesn’t get hurt they might have gotten beat by Atlanta for crying out loud
And if the Lakers were fully healthy  they’d be favorited to win too. It’s easy to make excuses. There may also be excuses next year.

Winning teams learn to play with adversity.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: July 24, 2021, 10:41:23 PM »
120m/2 years for an injured player that may or may not return to his former self.

Significantly limiting what they can do for up to 4 years total.

Again - it’s a gamble that May pay off. It hasn’t yet.
where are you getting your numbers from? It’s 4/164 They have to spend the $ anyway and I’m still waiting for someone to tell me who they could have gotten instead that would have been a better choice.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: July 24, 2021, 10:42:15 PM »
where are you getting your numbers from? It’s 4/164 They have to spend the $ anyway and I’m still waiting for someone to tell me who they could have gotten instead that would have been a better choice.
First year he wasn’t playing and last is a player option.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: July 24, 2021, 10:46:43 PM »
And if the Lakers were fully healthy  they’d be favorited to win too. It’s easy to make excuses. There may also be excuses next year.

Winning teams learn to play with adversity.
its also easy to not watch games and make things up. Do winning teams go down by 45 points in a game? Please let me know the last time any of the all time greats were down by 45? Milwaukee got really lucky. If you deny it, you are not following the playoffs. Giannis destroyed his knee yet somehow he was able to come back in a week. That looked like a 9 month injury. They were extremely fortunate. Good for them but don’t make it like they are the team to beat going forward.

The Lakers were healthy when the playoffs started by the way and they were not favorites to win the chip.