Author Topic: NBA Master Thread  (Read 752968 times)

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Re: NBA Master Thread
« Reply #5600 on: July 26, 2021, 09:24:07 AM »
I am not having it both ways. I gave an honest answer that you didn't like. Before his injury I would have probably picked him as best in the league. I watched very little basketball this year and if you say he is better now than pre-injury then so be it.

Now I hope in a week or so you will be posting how great he is for leading "his" team to the gold!!!
Can you remind me of the honest answer that o didn’t like? I am not sure what you are referring to?

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #5601 on: July 26, 2021, 09:36:52 AM »
Can you remind me of the honest answer that o didn’t like? I am not sure what you are referring to?
You asked who was a better player. I said I could not answer that since I watched very little basketball this year.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #5602 on: July 26, 2021, 09:45:06 AM »
You asked who was a better player. I said I could not answer that since I watched very little basketball this year.
yep it’s pretty irritating when you are having a back and forth about the current NBA season and the guy you are debating with says he hasn’t watch much basketball this year yet he’s going back and forth with you based on the little that he did see…..

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: July 26, 2021, 09:50:42 AM »
I guess that is the issue. I thought this was about my statements from a couple of years ago.
To me this was never about who is the better player. I was never debating that.
All I said I found your picks for best player "interesting". Not wrong, just interesting.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: July 26, 2021, 09:59:35 AM »
I guess that is the issue. I thought this was about my statements from a couple of years ago.
To me this was never about who is the better player. I was never debating that.
All I said I found your picks for best player "interesting". Not wrong, just interesting.
I thought we moved on from that already…. It’s pretty clear that the investment paid out already (financially since he made the $ back already and then some). I don’t see how you can say based on what they got out of it so far that it was a waste of $.

But for some reason you claim it will only be a good signing if they win a championship. I don’t know what one has to do with the other. Obviously the goal is always to win a championship but if they have years of success and constantly getting deep into the playoffs then obviously the $ is well spent. There is a salary floor in the NBA and you have to spend the $.

You also never told me who you preferred for them to spend the $ on other then Kd but I digress

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: July 26, 2021, 10:08:36 AM »
Yes to me the payoff is the championship. They paid KD to be the centerpiece to bring them a championship. Anything less is a failure. This is current situation with super teams.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: July 26, 2021, 10:15:21 AM »
Yes to me the payoff is the championship. They paid KD to be the centerpiece to bring them a championship. Anything less is a failure. This is current situation with super teams.
you are ignoring the fact that when they paid him they were not a super team.

Just like you are ignoring that they had to pay someone; and not telling me who else they should have paid that would have been a better investment then KD

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: July 26, 2021, 10:27:35 AM »
you are ignoring the fact that when they paid him they were not a super team.

Just like you are ignoring that they had to pay someone; and not telling me who else they should have paid that would have been a better investment then KD
They had every intention of putting together a super team knowing they had a year to play with. It was not like the Nets were one player away from winning it all.  :)

My comments were about taking the risk with this injured player. Not about if he is better than X or if Z would have been a better investment.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: July 26, 2021, 10:34:41 AM »
They had every intention of putting together a super team knowing they had a year to play with. It was not like the Nets were one player away from winning it all.  :)

My comments were about taking the risk with this injured player. Not about if he is better than X or if Z would have been a better investment.
if they didn’t go all in for James Harden do you think it’s still championship or bust?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: July 26, 2021, 10:48:10 AM »
if they didn’t go all in for James Harden do you think it’s still championship or bust?
Don't get me started on Harden.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5610 on: July 26, 2021, 10:58:21 AM »
Don't get me started on Harden.
I don’t want to. Let’s resolve 1 thing at a time. When a team goes and maxes out 2 players and 1 with an Achilles injury. And give up 0 assets to get them.  Do you think that it is championship or bust?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: July 26, 2021, 11:05:19 AM »
Yes

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: July 26, 2021, 11:10:07 AM »
Yes
I dont see how you can say its the stupidest contract to give and that its a waste of $ and then turn around and say, I expect you to win a championship,  and anything less is a failure, that seems like a contradiction to me

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: July 26, 2021, 12:52:36 PM »
I dont see how you can say its the stupidest contract to give and that its a waste of $ and then turn around and say, I expect you to win a championship,  and anything less is a failure, that seems like a contradiction to me
The stupid part was because of the injury. I thought it was a big risk and you didn't.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: July 26, 2021, 01:17:29 PM »
The stupid part was because of the injury. I thought it was a big risk and you didn't.
No problem, so how do you go from it's a big risk and it's stupid, to championship or bust? You need to pick a side. If its stupid and extremely risky then just winning a round or 2 should be fine.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: July 26, 2021, 01:35:53 PM »
No problem, so how do you go from it's a big risk and it's stupid, to championship or bust? You need to pick a side.
They are two separate things.

Giving an injured player a max contract hoping he will be as good or better is risky and IMHO stupid.

That is separate from giving any player a max contract and building a super team around him. In that situation you either win it all or it was failure.

The Nets did both. Time will tell how it works out.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: July 26, 2021, 01:42:05 PM »
They are two separate things.

Giving an injured player a max contract hoping he will be as good or better is risky and IMHO stupid.

That is separate from giving any player a max contract and building a super team around him. In that situation you either win it all or it was failure.

The Nets did both. Time will tell how it works out.
Again you are making up stories. They did not build the super team until a year later. When they had a much better read on his health.

And for you, the risk was giving him the contract and hoping he will be as good. Did he not prove this year that he was as good at least? So that takes care of the stupid part. Why do you need to wait for a championship to admit that you were wrong about it being stupid?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: July 26, 2021, 03:09:45 PM »
Again you are making up stories. They did not build the super team until a year later. When they had a much better read on his health.

And for you, the risk was giving him the contract and hoping he will be as good. Did he not prove this year that he was as good at least? So that takes care of the stupid part. Why do you need to wait for a championship to admit that you were wrong about it being stupid?
Give me a break. Their plan all along was try and build a super team.

You say he is as good as he was. If that is the case then I was wrong about him not returning to his old form. That doesn't mean it wasn't stupid to take the risk.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: July 26, 2021, 03:35:48 PM »
If that is the case then I was wrong about him not returning to his old form.
You could have saved both of us a lot of time if you just came out and said that. That was my point to begin with

Now lets move on to your buddy James Harden!

I was completely against the trade in the beginning when it first happened. But watching him up close and how he sacrificed his game to fit in, and seeing what a leader he is. I was amazed by him and I admit that I was completely wrong and we fleeced Houston.

Say what you want about him, but before this year the guy does not miss games and he does not do load management. He is as old school as they get. Im surprised you dont like him.

He carried Brooklyn when KD was out and if not for him they would have been a much lower seed.

When Kyrie went down in the playoffs Harden came back from a 2 month injury after 10 days.

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: July 29, 2021, 07:06:10 PM »
Lakers have no avenue to get a 3rd star. They gave up all their pics for AD they have no assets left.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1420872144628637700?s=20