Author Topic: NBA Master Thread  (Read 741095 times)

Online AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: NBA Playoffs 2013
« Reply #400 on: June 19, 2013, 05:07:21 PM »
up 5 means nothing in the NBA?  McGrady will easily tell you 13 with 30 seconds is also nothing.

Most amazing thing in the NBA I've ever seen. I have the clip saved on my computer. No one believes me when I tell them he scored 13 points in ~45 seconds.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #401 on: June 19, 2013, 05:07:33 PM »
You asked why they didn't foul on the rebound. I said no one has ever fouled in that situation. So you counter that the Knicks fouled the worst FT shooter. Again: how is that relevant to what I said?
bec when u foul a non ball handler/shooter they have to shoot. Up three and u fouls its only 2 shots.
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline Shmelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 19, 2013, 05:08:13 PM »
Most amazing thing in the NBA I've ever seen. I have the clip saved on my computer. No one believes me when I tell them he scored 13 points in ~35 seconds.
FTFY. And the most amazing thing I've ever seen was LBJ's 30 straight vs the Pistons, the best defensive team of the last 20 years.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #403 on: June 19, 2013, 05:08:25 PM »
Heat brought the ball down with 19 seconds left. There's no sense in turning it in to in a fouling game (in the NBA) when you already have control of the game. You won't find any competent coaches who disagree with that decision.
they couldve waited a few seconds, plus there were no more time outs

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 19, 2013, 05:08:48 PM »
bec when u foul a non ball handler/shooter they have to shoot. Up three and u fouls its only 2 shots.
Still irrelevant. Forget it.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: June 19, 2013, 05:08:55 PM »
Most amazing thing in the NBA I've ever seen. I have the clip saved on my computer. No one believes me when I tell them he scored 13 points in ~45 seconds.
i remember the night it happened. It was nuts!

Its up there with Reggie. But Reggie pushed Starks down on that inbound.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 19, 2013, 05:10:16 PM »
Still irrelevant. Forget it.
i am listening to the podcast fr this morning of B&C. Listen too ull Get what im saying.

Online AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #407 on: June 19, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »
FTFY. And the most amazing thing I've ever seen was LBJ's 30 straight vs the Pistons, the best defensive team of the last 20 years.

Was 25 straight and 29 of 30. But yeah, also amazing.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 19, 2013, 05:24:39 PM »
Realistically the foul could've came at about 15 seconds (anything less than that and the Heat were already in position to throw up a 3 and get 3 FTs). The math suggests that the logic of fouling when up 3 with that much time left (in the NBA) is flawed. Assuming a conservative FT% of 75% (and if you were fouling you'd foul the worst FT shooter on the team, so probably even lower than 75%), fouling puts them up 1.5 points with 15 seconds left (ie the FT shooter will hit 1.5 out of 2 FTs). As opposed to waiting for a 3, which will come at about 8 seconds left and at a percentage of 33% - so now they're up 2 points with 8 seconds left. (Obviously a 3 is not worth 1 point and 2 FTs are not worth 1.5 points, but that's the value of those plays in those scenarios.) There's a lot more variables (the percentage chance of grabbing a rebound after a missed FT or 3, how good of a look will a guy realistically get in that situation, hundreds of other factors), but the numbers support not fouling there. 

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 19, 2013, 05:26:16 PM »
Not to mention - not fouling there was ultimately the right move, as the Heat did miss the 1st 3 they attempted.

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 19, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »
Lastly - say you foul there and the Heat FT shooter does hit both. You're now up 1 with 15 seconds left and likely going to the line. What's to say your FT shooter hits both? What's to say that the Heat then don't come back down and hit a game winning 3? 15 seconds is a ton of time, especially when you have a guy who can cross the length of the court in 1 giant step. You're in control of the game, why give away even an ounce of that control? Why force your guys to have to hit FTs? Even if you do hit both of your subsequent FTs, the Heat are now still down by 3, just with 4 fewer seconds. There's really nothing non-emotional to support fouling in that 15-19 second range.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 19, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »
No one is arguing to foul with fifteen seconds left. your arguments are obvious. The discussion is regarding fouling later, which is probably a moot discussion as they had no opportunity
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 19, 2013, 05:36:15 PM »
No one is arguing to foul with fifteen seconds left. your arguments are obvious. The discussion is regarding fouling later, which is probably a moot discussion as they had no opportunity
Of course I agree its moot, but look back in this thread and you'll see that the 2 people I'm arguing with don't see it that way.

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 19, 2013, 05:38:15 PM »
No one is arguing to foul with fifteen seconds left.
Someone is:

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 19, 2013, 05:43:49 PM »
Someone is:
Well you're correct, that's a silly suggestion
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Online skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 19, 2013, 06:11:56 PM »
I made the point earlier, it's not so easy to foul the ball handler when they're behind the arc without giving them a chance to turn it into a shooting foul. Hence my point about the ball never dipping inside the 3 point line on that possession until the rebound.

Online skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 19, 2013, 06:14:57 PM »
Just because it was close at the end? Still a poorly played game.

CV, it's amazing how much of a dinosaur you are on this issue. In the words of possibly the best X's and O's oriented NBA writer out there today, "this was an insanely well-played game". Read the whole article (or any of his articles from the playoffs). You'll realize how little you actually know about the game.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #417 on: June 19, 2013, 06:25:56 PM »
All I want to know is how much Spoelstra paid Ginobli.
You mean payed the refs? He was clearly fouled. How can you blame a guy for drawing the foul just because it wasn't called?
I think I still have a heart condition from that game.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 19, 2013, 07:20:14 PM »
You mean payed the refs? He was clearly fouled. How can you blame a guy for drawing the foul just because it wasn't called?

Your comment can only mean you only turned on the game with less than 60 seconds left.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #419 on: June 19, 2013, 07:32:06 PM »
Your comment can only mean you only turned on the game with less than 60 seconds left.
I just assumed that is what you were referring to. Sorry. And yes unfortunately my internet  (when it was working) cut in and out all game.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)