Author Topic: NBA Master Thread  (Read 740994 times)

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: NBA Playoffs 2013
« Reply #520 on: June 23, 2013, 10:07:24 PM »
has everything to do. They have gone thru so much heartbreak, they wud do a/t to win
You missed the point. If LB left any city the same way (Chicago, LA, NY or pick one) and came back to win a title they all would welcome him back with open arms. Sports fans are addicts looking for their next fix. Just look at the NHL this year after the strike.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 23, 2013, 10:49:32 PM »
Dug up this old article

LeBron being LeBron
Updated: June 6, 2012, 1:35 AM ET
By Rick Reilly | ESPN.com

LeBron James is having another great post-season. But don't tell that to his critics.
This whole We Hate LeBron thing reminds me of a story.

A woman is in front of an apartment house that's engulfed in flames. She's screaming, "Help! Help! My baby's in there!"

A man sprints up and says, "Which floor?"

"Tenth!" she screams. "In the back!"

He rips off his coat and goes running in. Five minutes later, he's back, coughing, choking, and handing the woman the baby.

She looks at the man with a frown and sniffs, "He had a hat."

That's life for LeBron James.

Anything short of an NBA title makes James a useless wad of pre-chewed pork gristle in your eyes. Whatever he does -- three MVPs in nine seasons -- it's never enough.

You hate him -- still! -- for the way he botched the announcement of his free-agent move from Cleveland to Miami.

Forget that hundreds of people move from Cleveland to Miami every year.

Forget that dozens of NBA players change teams every year.

It was only one mistake. Has he showed up in any police reports since? Has he cheated on his fiancée ? Has he left his children stranded in the pick-up circle at school?

Has he refused to speak to reporters after a single game this season? Has he called out his teammates for their poor play, as Kobe Bryant did twice this postseason? Has he gotten his coach fired? Been fined for criticizing refs? Asked to be traded, released or named general manager?

Has he punched anybody? Choked anybody? Screamed at any parking valets? (Mom doesn't count.)

Smashed a chair? Drop-kicked any equipment? Tiger Woods does that on the front nine.

OK, LeBron is not perfect. Threw a Gatorade cup. Punched a walking stick. Carries that stupid little man purse. But if you were to fill a plane with the most spoiled superstars in the country, he'd be boarding in the D group.

You despise him because he passes too much. Imagine that. You hate a modern NBA player for not being selfish.

OK, I'd like to see him use his bag of hoop tricks to drive more at the end of games, too. But it's not like he hasn't done it, dozens and dozens of times, including huge fourth quarters against Boston and Chicago in last season's playoffs.

You people seem to want him to take it every single time, even with Dwyane Wade as a teammate. And Chris Bosh. But it's The Big Three, isn't it? Not The Big One.

And just so you know: In playoff games, LeBron has taken 13 final shots in tight games in regulation and hit five of them to win or tie. Kobe has taken twice that and hit only seven. Can we all just take a Xanax?

Besides, he passes so exquisitely. His passes are clairvoyant, leading teammates to places they didn't even know they were supposed to go. They're as soft and buttery as croissants. Why wouldn't you want him passing?

And why is the hoops world so hypercritical of this one thing when he's so brilliant at every other part of the game? Defense? He's guarded every position against the Celtics -- the 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. "He's guarded everybody but me," says Celtics coach Doc Rivers.

Only Rajon Rondo is even close in all-around brilliance this postseason. James is second in points, fourth in steals, 10th in assists, second in minutes. He leads his team in double-doubles and the league in double standards. Wade missed an open jumper to lose Game 4 in overtime -- how come he's not "scared"?

Last year, you hated him for being a shrinker. Now you hate him for not being a closer. Every game, he must CLOSE. Was Magic Johnson a closer? A few times, yes. Every freaking time? No. And by the way, most of the time James doesn't need to close because he has been so drop-your-popcorn good the entire game.

Aren't we still playing the game of basketball? What happened to attacking the defense where it's softest? What's wrong with looking for the open shot? Aren't his 12 teammates getting paid, too?

People -- enough. This whole "Crown or Drown" thinking on James has to stop. Grown men are actually strapping microphones to their ties and saying that if James doesn't win the title, the Heat ought to be broken up. For what? For making the Finals last year? For making (at least) the Eastern finals this year? James has been with these guys only two seasons. It took Michelangelo four years to paint the Sistine Chapel. You people would've fired him in two?

But I think the reason you hate LeBron James the most is that he just doesn't seem to suffer his failures as much as you'd like him to. You want him to brood like Kobe after losses, glare like Jordan when things don't go his way, scream at teammates like Tom Brady when they're behind.

That's not James. His spirit is too light. He's too much fun. He's a 6-foot-8 pixie, a 27-year-old kid who's addicted to kidding. He's a genuinely sweet person. You think of the great athletes of our generation -- Jordan, Woods, Lance Armstrong. They all had a bit of the jerk gene in them. James is missing it. He is loved by his teammates, not feared. So sue.

That's probably going to work against him in the long run. It will keep him from being Jordan or Kobe or Kareem. It will keep him from being enough.

But isn't that somebody you want your kids to have as their hero?

Hat or no hat?

Offline dd321

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 23, 2013, 10:55:45 PM »

You missed the point. If LB left any city the same way (Chicago, LA, NY or pick one) and came back to win a title they all would welcome him back with open arms. Sports fans are addicts looking for their next fix. Just look at the NHL this year after the strike.
ya or no. Bottom line is he did a really stupid thing that will haunt him forever.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #523 on: June 25, 2013, 06:28:29 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 25, 2013, 06:33:08 PM »

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #525 on: June 25, 2013, 06:38:10 PM »
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 25, 2013, 06:41:02 PM »
The one knock against Jordan is that he wasnt a team player
MJ is a bum. All he cared about was himself. This guy never gave 100%. He was so selfish he never could make the players around him any better. He could not win a championship with his own team so he packed his bags and went to Miami. This is why everyone hates him and it will never change.  ::)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #527 on: June 25, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »
MJ is a bum. All he cared about was himself. This guy never gave 100%. He was so selfish he never could make the players around him any better. He could not win a championship with his own team so he packed his bags and went to Miami. This is why everyone hates him and it will never change.  ::)

MJ?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 25, 2013, 06:42:12 PM »
sarcasm!?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #530 on: June 25, 2013, 06:45:02 PM »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 25, 2013, 06:47:27 PM »

i got it, trying to say he made evryone around him 'players' we would have no intrest if scottie pippin punched a guy in the face of punched me in the face, but since he was mj's wing man he is scottie pipin. and the rest goes for everyone of the others. hey what happened to the dumb post after dans but before mine? about how jordan never passed anyways and his players were horrible?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 25, 2013, 06:56:28 PM »
...then what's Miami doing in there?
Everyone it seems now wants to compare MJ and LB. About the only thing they have in common is they both play/ed basketball.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 25, 2013, 06:58:18 PM »
hey what happened to the dumb post after dans but before mine? about how jordan never passed anyways and his players were horrible?
Who made that post?

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 25, 2013, 07:08:44 PM »
Who made that post?
ahh mr damaxer. i usually like what he says, but i am not a fan

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 25, 2013, 10:57:16 PM »
Everyone it seems now wants to compare MJ and LB. About the only thing they have in common is they both play/ed basketball.
And they both are in the top 10 to ever play the game.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 26, 2013, 01:36:56 AM »
And they both are in the top 10 to ever play the game.
One of them is for sure.  :P

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #537 on: June 26, 2013, 05:39:30 AM »
One of them is for sure.  :P
Oh Chicagoons! ;)

Offline dd321

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 28, 2013, 08:28:07 AM »
Anyone wana weigh in on nets trade for Garnett and pierce ? (Mods maybe change thread name to "NBA News discussion" or s/t)
I think it's a desperate move by prokorov,
Gives nets toughness , but they are so old.

Don't think there are enough touches to make Garnett, pierce, joe Johnson, dwill (scoring pg) to make every1 happy.

Coach Kidd has his hands full.

Offline Menachem613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 28, 2013, 08:31:12 AM »
Anyone wana weigh in on nets trade for Garnett and pierce ? (Mods maybe change thread name to "NBA News discussion" or s/t)
I think it's a desperate move by prokorov,
Gives nets toughness , but they are so old.

Don't think there are enough touches to make Garnett, pierce, joe Johnson, dwill (scoring pg) to make every1 happy.

Coach Kidd has his hands full.

I think it's a good move for both teams, assuming Kidd can figure a way to make them all work, even if means less touches.  I think KG and JJ will take a look at Miami and realize that it's possible to co-exist and win.