Topic Wiki

I figured that even this thread can have a wiki.
If your computer or phone is giving you issues:

• Please read this before posting: 4 Reasons Why IT People Ignore Your Requests for Help
• Restart the computer. Hopefully this will take care of any issues
• If your problem has not yet been solved, try to Google it. There may be a very simple solution
• On a Windows computer, a system restore may do the trick.
(This is a work in progress, please feel free to add whatever you may feel is helpful)

Please post whether or not the problem was fixed

Apple iPhone Master Thread
« Last edited by Thingywingy on May 07, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »

Author Topic: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread  (Read 1001375 times)

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread
« Reply #2700 on: April 05, 2016, 09:16:00 AM »
The resolution issue is very sensible. Please report the resolution and diagonal size of both and I will explain.
I didn't mean that what you said is not sensible. On the contrary; it's very sensible, but I don't think such a sensible explanation explains it, because it changes randomly. For example, yesterday the icons were huge, and now they're small (both on external monitor).

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: April 05, 2016, 09:22:13 AM »
If you think it's an energy saving feature, here is something you can try: go to Device Manager and locate the touch screen device. Then choose from the menu to view by connection. Then double click the touch screen device and look for a power tab. Don't allow Windows to turn it off. Then you may want to do the same for each level above it (when you are viewing by connection).
I'm having trouble identifying which item in the DM is the touchscreen - especially in "view by connection".

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: April 05, 2016, 10:18:15 AM »
I didn't mean that what you said is not sensible. On the contrary; it's very sensible, but I don't think such a sensible explanation explains it, because it changes randomly. For example, yesterday the icons were huge, and now they're small (both on external monitor).
That has to do with the different screen resolutions, you can try reinstalling your graphics driver
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #2703 on: April 05, 2016, 10:58:18 AM »
The neat part about it is that it not only enables me to unlock the laptop with a swipe of the finger, but it also allows me to use it to log into online accoonts. I set it once per account and then I never have to enter a password into that account again!
Cool! Maybe I should finish setting it up (never did). Do you know what program you have to open to set it up?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Online Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: April 05, 2016, 11:09:17 AM »
If the CPU is pegged at 100 percent, buying an SSD won't help you much

Avromie7, care to explain yourself?

Go through your list of installed programs, delete the ones you don't use. If you don't recognize an installed program, Google it. Run CCleaner and antivirus/antimalware
Eta you can click the CPU tab to sort the list by apps using the most CPU, reinstall those. If its chrome, try closing some tabs

I know what's burdening my CPU.  I run three instances of a Java based trading platform, an additional trading platform, and 10 tabs of firefox.  Only occasionally does one of the system processes (System and Compressed Memory,  Runtime Broker) hog all three, CPU, RAM, and Disk, and that's usually on startup from sleep.

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: April 05, 2016, 11:20:02 AM »
I'm having trouble identifying which item in the DM is the touchscreen - especially in "view by connection".
That's why I said to locate the device first, while it's still in the default view "Devices by type". I should have said that once you locate it, single click to highlight it. Then, when you switch the view, it will still be highlighted.
It could be under the Human Interface Devices category when viewing by type.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2706 on: April 05, 2016, 11:20:49 AM »
Suddenly yesterday it started taking a long time to open and save files from a networked drive. I restarted the router and all computers and it did not help. Any ideas?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: April 05, 2016, 12:55:06 PM »
You can unplug the hard drive before turning it on
Thanks! It looks like it wasn't the hard drive, I finally tried turning it on again and it didn't make any noise. Guess I"ll see if it happens again!

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: April 05, 2016, 03:00:27 PM »
Cool! Maybe I should finish setting it up (never did). Do you know what program you have to open to set it up?
I just swipe the registered finger at any time and it brings up the options.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: April 05, 2016, 03:20:04 PM »
I just swipe the registered finger at any time and it brings up the options.
Doesn't work for me

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: April 06, 2016, 12:32:21 AM »
That's why I said to locate the device first, while it's still in the default view "Devices by type". I should have said that once you locate it, single click to highlight it. Then, when you switch the view, it will still be highlighted.
It could be under the Human Interface Devices category when viewing by type.
Ok, now I got it. I had already unchecked "allow computer to turn off to save power", however I didn't know the whole deal with the trail above it. I found 2 levels over there where it was checked, so I unchecked them, and hopefully now it will stay on. Thanks a lot!

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: April 06, 2016, 12:34:35 AM »
That has to do with the different screen resolutions, you can try reinstalling your graphics driver
Thanks for the idea. I don't really know how to do that, and I'm afraid to do it incorrectly. Any suggestions?

Offline David R

• View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: April 06, 2016, 02:57:52 AM »
Ok, now I got it. I had already unchecked "allow computer to turn off to save power", however I didn't know the whole deal with the trail above it. I found 2 levels over there where it was checked, so I unchecked them, and hopefully now it will stay on. Thanks a lot!
You're welcome. It's just an idea that came to mind, without any specific experience indicating it will help.

Thanks for the idea. I don't really know how to do that, and I'm afraid to do it incorrectly. Any suggestions?
Reinstalling could help if something became corrupt with the initial driver. But even if the initial driver is not corrupt, there might be a newer version of it available. Here's a way to get the newer driver: In the aforementioned Device Manager, locate your adapter under the Display adapters category. Right click on it and choose Update Driver Software. Then choose the option to Search automatically for updated driver software. If any update is available, it will be downloaded and installed.

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: April 06, 2016, 09:07:27 AM »
Reinstalling could help if something became corrupt with the initial driver. But even if the initial driver is not corrupt, there might be a newer version of it available. Here's a way to get the newer driver: In the aforementioned Device Manager, locate your adapter under the Display adapters category. Right click on it and choose Update Driver Software. Then choose the option to Search automatically for updated driver software. If any update is available, it will be downloaded and installed.
I have 2 graphics cards. Nvidia and Intel. Nvidia is up to date; Intel is not, so it was now updated. IDK how that works if there are 2 graphics cards. Anyway, I hope this helps Thanks again.

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: April 06, 2016, 05:03:34 PM »
Will dd-wrt enable a access point (TP-Link TL-WA901ND) to function as a wireless router (i.e. connecting two different network as opposed to extending a single network)?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline David R

• View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: April 07, 2016, 12:33:43 AM »
Will dd-wrt enable a access point (TP-Link TL-WA901ND) to function as a wireless router (i.e. connecting two different network as opposed to extending a single network)?
Check the DD-WRT hardware list for your hardware. If it shows up on the list and says it's compatible with DD-WRT, you should have access to all DD-WRT features, including the feature you've described.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: April 07, 2016, 02:14:39 AM »
I purchased the Access Point as opposed to a router because it specifically advertised what TP-Link calls client mode. I did not realize that "client mode" only has the ability to connect to device via a cable. It does not create new network with device and route the two networks.

To clarify your saying the inability to do that is not a hardware issue. I thought perhaps an access point doesn't have ability to "route" two network due to hardware limitations.
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline David R

• View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: April 07, 2016, 02:46:10 AM »
I purchased the Access Point as opposed to a router because it specifically advertised what TP-Link calls client mode. I did not realize that "client mode" only has the ability to connect to device via a cable. It does not create new network with device and route the two networks.

To clarify your saying the inability to do that is not a hardware issue. I thought perhaps an access point doesn't have ability to "route" two network due to hardware limitations.
I looked up your model. It's on the list but be careful about the version.

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: April 07, 2016, 06:33:58 PM »
You're welcome. It's just an idea that came to mind, without any specific experience indicating it will help.
Now it stopped working again. :(
Any other ideas?

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: April 08, 2016, 02:07:14 PM »
I looked up your model. It's on the list but be careful about the version.
I have Version 3, which is llisted at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices but doesn't come up here. http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database where I think is their download site.