Topic Wiki

I figured that even this thread can have a wiki.
If your computer or phone is giving you issues:

• Please read this before posting: 4 Reasons Why IT People Ignore Your Requests for Help
• Restart the computer. Hopefully this will take care of any issues
• If your problem has not yet been solved, try to Google it. There may be a very simple solution
• On a Windows computer, a system restore may do the trick.
(This is a work in progress, please feel free to add whatever you may feel is helpful)

Please post whether or not the problem was fixed

Apple iPhone Master Thread
« Last edited by Thingywingy on May 07, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »

Author Topic: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread  (Read 977675 times)

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread
« Reply #4380 on: August 15, 2017, 10:41:30 PM »
Thanks I Didn't Realize that. Yes I"m still using my old PC as i need the data transferred before i switch. Any suggestions then how to move my data (Aside from doing it manually with a External Hard-drive)?
(If you are trying to exclude an external hard drive, what are you using now to transfer the system image?)

Honestly, I would really recommend starting anew, it is a pity having a new PC and right away starting with workarounds...

If you want to move over stuff you can try a 3rd part transfer tool like IObit PCtransfer (free) or Laplink PCmover Ultimate (paid).

For a complete system transfer (the like of System Image, and as said every system is different and OS really should not be transferred) you can use a cloning software like Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect Free to do a full disk clone.

Offline Dovidnj

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: August 15, 2017, 11:00:24 PM »
(If you are trying to exclude an external hard drive, what are you using now to transfer the system image?)

Honestly, I would really recommend starting anew, it is a pity having a new PC and right away starting with workarounds...

If you want to move over stuff you can try a 3rd part transfer tool like IObit PCtransfer (free) or Laplink PCmover Ultimate (paid).

For a complete system transfer (the like of System Image, and as said every system is different and OS really should not be transferred) you can use a cloning software like Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect Free to do a full disk clone.
I'm not Trying to exclude a external hard drive i just want to make sure all my files get moved over. (And if i'm transferring manually i might miss something...)
Start anew-without my files? or just not doing a system transfer? And what workarounds are you referring to?
What is the difference between
1. System transfer/Cloning and transferring files?
2.Transferring files with a 3rd party tool and just doing it manually?

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: August 15, 2017, 11:38:35 PM »
I'm not Trying to exclude a external hard drive i just want to make sure all my files get moved over. (And if i'm transferring manually i might miss something...)
Start anew-without my files? or just not doing a system transfer? And what workarounds are you referring to?
What is the difference between
1. System transfer/Cloning and transferring files?
2.Transferring files with a 3rd party tool and just doing it manually?
I'm not sure what you mean? How do you move files (the system image that you tried) without an external device?

In the case of a clone, there is no need for anything else, a clone means you get all like it was on the old PC. (but this is very not recommended.)

The programs I linked will also copy some programs and settings.

Anew means only moving over user files (no programs or program files), to move almost all your user files copy over all folders in the C:\users\your-username folder to the new PC (but not the hidden ones like AppData.)

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: August 16, 2017, 12:08:59 AM »
I recently did a fresh Windows installation...I usually have a monitor attached to my laptop and for some reason the size of everything on the monitor only calibrates properly if the lid on the laptop is shut...Any clue how to fix that? Thanks.
Is the monitor you have connected in clone mode or extended desktop mode? Meaning, are you using the external monitor to display exactly what the laptop's built in display is showing?

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: August 16, 2017, 12:32:02 AM »
Is the monitor you have connected in clone mode or extended desktop mode? Meaning, are you using the external monitor to display exactly what the laptop's built in display is showing?
Clone mode. Usually I close the lid anyways, but sometimes it's left open.

You might need a driver (for graphics card or monitor) installation, but it is really hard to say exactly what without seeing the PC and all that's going on.
Just want to clarify that when the lid is closed, it displays appropriately. It's just when the lid is open that there it's bigger than I like. It seems like the external monitor and the laptop monitor have some difference in their settings, and the laptop is not adjusting to monitor until I shut the lid. Is that likely to be a driver issue?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: August 16, 2017, 12:56:06 AM »
Just want to clarify that when the lid is closed, it displays appropriately. It's just when the lid is open that there it's bigger than I like. It seems like the external monitor and the laptop monitor have some difference in their settings, and the laptop is not adjusting to monitor until I shut the lid. Is that likely to be a driver issue?
(I guess never to overestimate...) I thought that that's a given that in clone mode this would happen.

If the laptop displays something on its lower resolution screen and needs to display the same exact thing on a higher resolution monitor the image on the monitor will definitely lack in clarity.

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: August 16, 2017, 01:02:58 AM »
When it is in clone mode, the external monitor and the built in display get set to the same resolution. The problem in your case is that they don't both have the same native resolution, so both monitors are getting set to a resolution that is only best for one of the two. As soon as you close the lid, the built in display shuts off, and then the external monitor can display the picture in its native resolution.

You can confirm if what I am saying is accurate. When the lid is closed, check your display settings in Control Panel to see what is the highest resolution you could set your screen to and what it is currently set to. Then open the lid and check again. Then unplug the external monitor and check again. Yes, I am asking you to report six pieces of information:

• The highest resolution you can set the monitor to when the lid is closed while the external monitor is connected.
  • The current resolution when the lid is closed while the external monitor is connected (this is the situation that you said the external monitor displays appropriately).
  • The highest resolution you can set the monitor to when the lid is open while the external monitor is connected.
  • The current resolution when the lid is open while the external monitor is connected.
  • The highest resolution you can set the monitor to when the lid is open while the external monitor is disconnected.
  • The current resolution when the lid is open while the external monitor is disconnected.

Offline Dovidnj

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: August 16, 2017, 08:56:48 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean? How do you move files (the system image that you tried) without an external device?

In the case of a clone, there is no need for anything else, a clone means you get all like it was on the old PC. (but this is very not recommended.)

The programs I linked will also copy some programs and settings.

Anew means only moving over user files (no programs or program files), to move almost all your user files copy over all folders in the C:\users\your-username folder to the new PC (but not the hidden ones like AppData.)
I didn't  mean not to use a external hard drive (as thats already what i used when i tried with the system image i just didn't know which location has all my data/files  but now that you told me which location to copy over  i will probably just copy them manually (Via External hard drive) and reinstall my programs one by one .

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: August 16, 2017, 09:11:02 AM »
I didn't  mean not to use a external hard drive (as thats already what i used when i tried with the system image i just didn't know which location has all my data/files  but now that you told me which location to copy over  i will probably just copy them manually (Via External hard drive) and reinstall my programs one by one .
That's good.

I'd also do (you can delete the system image as it doesn't help you anyway) a full disk image to have a backup in case you are missing something. You can use Macrium Reflect free to get a one-file image of your whole old laptop. This image can later be restored to another disk, but can also be opened (on the new PC, let's say) as a virtual hard drive to copy files from it.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: August 16, 2017, 06:35:57 PM »
@David R I didn't complete your steps but I did up the resolution in the the laptop monitor to the highest (one more than recommended). That seems to have fixed the problem, but I'll have to check back later when I get to that computer.

Separately any workaround to get extra Dropbox space? Anyway to refer yourself? They require a desktop app installation. Would it work if I install, remove, install etc.?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: August 21, 2017, 02:03:56 AM »
Can anyone recommend software that finds duplicate copies of the same photo?

Offline DanH

• View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: August 21, 2017, 04:31:59 AM »
Can anyone recommend software that finds duplicate copies of the same photo?
http://www.clonespy.com/
https://www.hardcoded.net/dupeguru/
For tech help feel free to Telegram me @DanTechSupp

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: August 21, 2017, 01:57:37 PM »
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:04:38 PM by Thingywingy »

Offline sddd

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: August 25, 2017, 02:49:55 PM »
When using the internet my browsers display a page full of weird characters when using Google (on other sites as well, but not having google is crippling).
 Anyone have any ideas how to fix??

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #4394 on: August 25, 2017, 03:14:17 PM »
When using the internet my browsers display a page full of weird characters when using Google (on other sites as well, but not having google is crippling).
Is it only one browser, or all? Check for browser extensions that you don't recognize.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline sddd

• View Profile
« Reply #4395 on: August 25, 2017, 03:23:42 PM »
It's across multiple browsers and all extensions are disabled.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #4396 on: August 25, 2017, 03:24:22 PM »
It's across multiple browsers and all extensions are disabled.
Maybe run a virus scan... otherwise I will defer to the experts :)
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline sddd

• View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: August 27, 2017, 10:16:22 AM »

$20 for a solution that works - super frustrated!

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: August 27, 2017, 10:33:06 AM »
$20 for a solution that works - super frustrated!
Are you using any filter, if yes then which?
Antivirus? Firewall?

Offline dsw193

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: August 27, 2017, 11:10:35 AM »
Try checking encoding settings. (set to auto detect)