Topic Wiki

I figured that even this thread can have a wiki.
If your computer or phone is giving you issues:

• Please read this before posting: 4 Reasons Why IT People Ignore Your Requests for Help
• Restart the computer. Hopefully this will take care of any issues
• If your problem has not yet been solved, try to Google it. There may be a very simple solution
• On a Windows computer, a system restore may do the trick.
(This is a work in progress, please feel free to add whatever you may feel is helpful)

Please post whether or not the problem was fixed

Apple iPhone Master Thread
« Last edited by Thingywingy on May 07, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »

Author Topic: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread  (Read 977368 times)

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread
« Reply #4180 on: June 23, 2017, 12:29:39 AM »
You mean this?

Did not come with disk. But the do have software package on their website. Think I should install?
https://store.bearextender.com/pages/bearextender-pc-support
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: June 23, 2017, 12:32:49 AM »
You mean this?

Did not come with disk. But the do have software package on their website. Think I should install?
https://store.bearextender.com/pages/bearextender-pc-support
Yes. Install the software.

I meant to ask if there was any of these Blue Screens today too.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: June 23, 2017, 12:33:55 AM »
Yes. Install the software.

I meant to ask if there was any of these Blue Screens today too.
Nothing today BH.
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: June 23, 2017, 12:35:51 AM »
Nothing today BH.
Okay (and the only thing we so far actually did was disabling the Kaspersky web part?).

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: June 23, 2017, 02:05:05 AM »
Okay (and the only thing we so far actually did was disabling the Kaspersky web part?).
And uninstalled the Intel driver. I believe the same driver was reinstated when I rebooted.(My failed attempt to install "Dell" driver package was before reboot).

Offline peace123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4185 on: June 25, 2017, 02:40:18 AM »
Hi

I have a Sony laptop bought in I believe in 2013.  It was on good deal on dells website I believe. After few days of using it, I set up  user ID and password. I didn't use it for sometime as I have desktop in my room and then smartphone  on the go for internet use but when I  open  the laptop from  the bag and to try to use it, I always got the password WRONG. I manage over dozen or so user ID and passwords for myself and for my family members and  I must have created something that is very different from all that i know and use.  I have for couple of years now not been able to log in back on the laptop.  No, not stolen cos I don't steal or do anything illegal and I have online order receipt proving I bought and paid for it.   What options do I have to be able to log in back  on this laptop? Thanks
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:44:48 AM by peace123 »

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: June 25, 2017, 02:43:29 AM »
Any technician would be easily able to remove that password for you. (I can't really teach you since I cannot in any way verify ownership.)

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: June 25, 2017, 02:50:03 AM »
Any technician would be easily able to remove that password for you. (I can't really teach you since I cannot in any way verify ownership.)
It is not removing the password, When I power it on , the windows or the master log in page comes up and  it asks for password to log in. Since I forgot the password , I am not able to log in to use the laptop. Would be nice if there was a way to verify such as any hints like email password but for this one, you can either enter the right one  you created in the first place or you can't log in. I feel so  f****** stupid about this ! 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:53:08 AM by peace123 »

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: June 25, 2017, 02:53:10 AM »
It is not removing the password, When I power it on , the windows or the master log in page comes up and  it asks for password to log in. Since I forgot the password , I am not able to log in to use the laptop. Would be nice if there was a way to verify such as any hints like email password but for this one, you can either enter the right one  you created in the first place or you can't log in. I feel so  f****** stupid about this !  Not urgent as I don't have much need of a laptop but why own something you can't use now?
What do you mean "It is not removing the password"? In order to have you log into this one will need to remove the old password. And I wouldn't do that without trusting you (sorry...) personally that it is yours or if you can verify ownership (not really possible online.)

Therefore I say that any technician you'll go to can remove the password for you.

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: June 25, 2017, 02:57:39 AM »
What do you mean "It is not removing the password"? In order to have you log into this one will need to remove the old password. And I wouldn't do that without trusting you (sorry...) personally that it is yours or if you can verify ownership (not really possible online.)

Therefore I say that any technician you'll go to can remove the password for you.
If you are sincere and want to help me on this and want to verify, I will show you proof of my purchase= the online order invoice and info. I have mileage or hotel rewards account too and my ID if you want to further verify me. Even call DELL and ask them and verify the owner
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:02:47 AM by peace123 »

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #4190 on: June 25, 2017, 03:59:04 AM »
GIYF sir
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: June 25, 2017, 10:16:39 AM »
If you are sincere and want to help me on this and want to verify, I will show you proof of my purchase= the online order invoice and info. I have mileage or hotel rewards account too and my ID if you want to further verify me. Even call DELL and ask them and verify the owner

Why don't you call dell then and ask them for assistance?

But as he said

GIYF sir

It's rather simple
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: June 25, 2017, 10:54:28 AM »
Don't know if dell  this seller or th Sony the brand will provide tech support as it has been several years now.

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: June 25, 2017, 03:53:29 PM »
Order Confirmation - SW1305150088*
Inbox
   x
Sony Store Sales <DoNotReply@mail.store.sony.com>

5/15/13

to me
SONY | make.believe    
My Account.       Customer Care.
Thanks for ordering.

Hello, *******

Your order has been confirmed.

Order Number: SW1305150088*

Your order contains the following item(s):

Product:   SVE14A35CXH
Per Unit Price:   $549.99
Quantity:   1
Total Price:   $549.99
Description:   VAIO E Series 14P Touch Laptop
Ship Method:   Standard
Estimated Ship Date:    05/16/2013

Subtotal: $549.99
Tax:$50.87
Shipping Charges:$0.00

Order Total:$600.86

Shipping address:

CHICAGO, IL, 60660

You will receive a separate e-mail confirmation once your order has shipped.

Did you order an Xperia™ smart phone with an agreement to purchase a 2-year AT&T contract?*

*If you haven't already, don't forget to complete the wireless activation application. It's required before your Xperia smartphone can ship.

APPLY FOR ACTIVATION NOW

Be on the lookout for additional activation and shipment emails regarding your 2-year AT&T agreement. You will need to complete the activation of your new Xperia when it arrives. If you do not complete the activation after receipt of your new phone, Sony may charge you an amount equal to or up to the non-contract price of the device.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: June 27, 2017, 12:13:11 AM »
I created a hosted network and can see the network on my ios device but am not able to connect to the inteernet. It seems that I'm connected to the network bcuz when I put in command netsh wlan show hostednetwork it shows 1 client when device is turned on.

Update: I set it ios device to static IP and used identical ip address and subnet as DHCP, and added a router ip that I set for IPV4 of hosted network. Instead of the turning round and round, there is now a check next to the hosted netowrk on my ios device, but I still am not connected to the internet...?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 12:55:59 AM by Thingywingy »

Offline a mirrer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: June 27, 2017, 05:55:48 AM »
I created a hosted network and can see the network on my ios device but am not able to connect to the inteernet. It seems that I'm connected to the network bcuz when I put in command netsh wlan show hostednetwork it shows 1 client when device is turned on.

Update: I set it ios device to static IP and used identical ip address and subnet as DHCP, and added a router ip that I set for IPV4 of hosted network. Instead of the turning round and round, there is now a check next to the hosted netowrk on my ios device, but I still am not connected to the internet...?
do you have net spark filter?

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: June 27, 2017, 08:00:46 AM »

Did you share the internet from the normal network adapter to the hosted one?

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: June 27, 2017, 07:00:27 PM »
do you have net spark filter?
No. But I do use covenant eyes.

Did you share the internet from the normal network adapter to the hosted one?
Yes.

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: June 27, 2017, 11:50:21 PM »
looking for some tech advice - I have a dell 8700 with 4 memory slots, 32 gb max capacity. Came with 2x4. want to upgrade, and add 8+8 to the empty slots. Is there an advantage to the more expensive one of these two?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/elgh3cisxwxzkko/Screenshot%202017-06-27%2018.09.09.png?dl=0

2nd question - while I'm at it I figured I'll throw in a SSD. Any thoughts on cloning vs reinstalling the OS and programs and then just moving over files? which is easier for an amateur?

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: June 28, 2017, 12:08:48 AM »
looking for some tech advice - I have a dell 8700 with 4 memory slots, 32 gb max capacity. Came with 2x4. want to upgrade, and add 8+8 to the empty slots. Is there an advantage to the more expensive one of these two?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/elgh3cisxwxzkko/Screenshot%202017-06-27%2018.09.09.png?dl=0

2nd question - while I'm at it I figured I'll throw in a SSD. Any thoughts on cloning vs reinstalling the OS and programs and then just moving over files? which is easier for an amateur?
There is certainly an advantage to the more expensive one, it is a higher frequency. But officially as per Dell the 8700 doesn't support higher than 1600, so you should take the cheaper one. (even though you might be able to get the faster ones to work eventually, it isn't sure and might make a lot of headaches. Beside the point that your old modules are probably 1600, and it is recommended all should be the same speed.)

Cloning (with the right software, Samsung SSDs come with an easy to use software) is certainly easier.