Topic Wiki

I figured that even this thread can have a wiki.
If your computer or phone is giving you issues:

• Please read this before posting: 4 Reasons Why IT People Ignore Your Requests for Help
• Restart the computer. Hopefully this will take care of any issues
• If your problem has not yet been solved, try to Google it. There may be a very simple solution
• On a Windows computer, a system restore may do the trick.
(This is a work in progress, please feel free to add whatever you may feel is helpful)

Please post whether or not the problem was fixed

Apple iPhone Master Thread
« Last edited by Thingywingy on May 07, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »

Author Topic: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread  (Read 1038659 times)

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Re: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread
« Reply #6300 on: May 21, 2024, 10:33:10 PM »
Maybe just asking for help did the trick! I went back to another screwdriver and with some extra force it came out. B"H!!
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: May 24, 2024, 09:53:46 AM »
Question for anyone familiar with DiskDrill:
I canceled a recovery that was in progress because it was taking forever, and then started a new recovery on a much smaller subset of files (into another location). Does anyone know if the files that were recovered before I canceled the first run will be recovered again in the second run?

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: May 26, 2024, 02:10:57 PM »
Any recommendations for a portable hotspot and plan for temporary use (say about a week)? Someone asked me and I don't know where to start. Is there anything easy and prepaid to buy?

Offline DaasTora

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: May 26, 2024, 03:30:12 PM »
Any recommendations for a portable hotspot and plan for temporary use (say about a week)? Someone asked me and I don't know where to start. Is there anything easy and prepaid to buy?
Why would you buy for one week. Many local stores have rentals. Unless they’re very expensive?
“Never underestimate the power of…stupidity”
- Robert Heinlein

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: May 26, 2024, 03:31:23 PM »
Why would you buy for one week. Many local stores have rentals. Unless they’re very expensive?
I have no idea, that's why I'm asking here :)

Offline DaasTora

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: May 26, 2024, 03:37:44 PM »
I have no idea, that's why I'm asking here :)
Check this thread for the cheapest plan I’ve seen so far. https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=130073.0
As for the hotspot, you can get one for $20 on Amazon https://a.co/d/i2zXuQ but it obviously won’t be the best (the rental store will probably provide this one too).
“Never underestimate the power of…stupidity”
- Robert Heinlein

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: May 26, 2024, 03:38:58 PM »
Check this thread for the cheapest plan I’ve seen so far. https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=130073.0
As for the hotspot, you can get one for $20 on Amazon https://a.co/d/i2zXuQ but it obviously won’t be the best (the rental store will probably provide this one too).
Thanks! second link doesn't work.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: May 27, 2024, 08:37:19 PM »
Thanks for the tip - they picked up a 1 week rental device at a local cell phone store

Offline yossig

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: June 02, 2024, 05:14:50 PM »
Hi All,

I have a pretty expensive Dell XPS 15 7590 laptop that I bought about five years ago from Dell, (MSRP was approx 1800-2000 but I paid a lot less with amex credits and Black Friday deals).

My specs are as follows,

I7-9750H
16GB Ram
512gb SSD (50% full)
Nevidia GTX 1650 (version 546.09)

I’ve used it for light work/emails/ some heavy PDF/Bluebeam markups, ETC. recently it started acting very slow, it literally takes a few seconds for it to follow commands, open files, it freezes often and restart randomly. So much so that I’d rather use my wife new $500 Inspiron laptop as it works like a breeze.

I tried checking the Task Manager and and it appears that the windows defender app is constantly running and can use 7%-10% of processing power or more at times.

I would appreciate any advice and I am okay putting in some money fixing it if that can be done..

Special thanks to @mevinyavin for directing me to this thread!

TIA!

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: June 02, 2024, 06:03:00 PM »
Perhaps worth a reset?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yossig

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: June 02, 2024, 06:07:25 PM »
Perhaps worth a reset?
how do make sure my content doesn’t get deleted? I have OneDrive Syncing but how do I know if it covers everything on the laptop?

Also, will I loss the programs I paid for like Adobe etc?

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: June 02, 2024, 08:31:06 PM »
how do make sure my content doesn’t get deleted? I have OneDrive Syncing but how do I know if it covers everything on the laptop?

I suppose you'd check and triple check one drive and sync it as well as save everything to another 10 hard drives "just in case", it takes work but is usually (always) worth it in the end.

If you paid for the license then you should set, just like if you buy a new computer. Don't know specifics on all programs.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Jojo202

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: June 02, 2024, 08:40:51 PM »
Hi All,

I have a pretty expensive Dell XPS 15 7590 laptop that I bought about five years ago from Dell, (MSRP was approx 1800-2000 but I paid a lot less with
(.....Truncated.....)
I have a Dell XPS 13 and literally the moment I read your post it started doing the same thing to me. Even a restart didnt help, but plugging it in solved it...(?) Over the years, I've been having so any random issues, I feel like I got a lemon. Screen randomly turning off. or computer randomly shutting down high temps and fan speed during light usage, And a bunch of other stuff that is probably windows fault, not Dells fault, but it just doesn't make me feel any more comfortable with buying another Dell.

Perhaps worth a reset?
Reset is a little extreme. Start with booting into safe mode and test it out. If Its better, it could just be some software slowing it down, in which case you can perform a clean boot to help you isolate the cause of the problem. Good luck. If it helps for you I may gather enough courage to start trying to fix my own issues...

If you decide to go this route you can check in your windows setting whats set to backup, then login to one drive and check the folder contents manually to make sure. In regard to the programs are they online subscriptions? one-time downloads? It would vary based on the company and their policies. If you give I specific list I can try to help break it down with you.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: June 02, 2024, 08:47:44 PM »
Reset is a little extreme.
Agreed, but worth it every time!

I pretty much changed the way I have things, that at anytime my computer can break and I can pick up and start again relatively quickly with no data loss. Having to do resets a few times gave me the push to do it, I'd recommend everyone to do the same. A computer shouldn't be used as a storage device.

I wish it were as easy on a phone
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: June 02, 2024, 11:29:09 PM »
I have a Dell XPS 13 and literally the moment I read your post it started doing the same thing to me. Even a restart didnt help, but plugging it in solved it...(?) Over the years, I've been having so any random issues, I feel like I got a lemon. Screen randomly turning off. or computer randomly shutting down high temps and fan speed during light usage, And a bunch of other stuff that is probably windows fault, not Dells fault, but it just doesn't make me feel any more comfortable with buying another Dell.

To me this sounds like the computer is overheating or getting throttled for some other reason. Was it low on battery?

Offline Jojo202

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6315 on: June 03, 2024, 09:38:12 AM »
To me this sounds like the computer is overheating or getting throttled for some other reason. Was it low on battery?
Some of the issues were probably caused by something like that, like random scheduled tasks happening in the background, like update checks or antivirus scans. But I blame the hardware a little also. No consistent problem (except for general slowdowns), But definitely a bunch of strange stuff. Whenever I plug it in, the screen flicker is for a few moments. It's rare, but it can sometimes shut down while I am working. Opening the lid is supposed to power it on, but sometimes screen turns on, then off starts, then turns off and doesn't turn back on till I press and hold the power button. Month with 75% battery It suddenly shut down, saying battery critical. Its just random. I have basically only ever used a desktop before and I as far as I can tell, most laptops cant  match even an underpowered desktop- In like the time it takes from when I click a file till it opens.... Or I got a dud.

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: June 03, 2024, 10:36:10 AM »
as far as I can tell, most laptops cant  match even an underpowered desktop-
agreed

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6317 on: June 14, 2024, 03:08:20 PM »
  • Correct. If you want to follow that, you will need to create the ones that are missing
  • You're creating a DWORD value
  • The name of the value will be the SelectiveSuspendEnabled and the SelectiveSuspendSupported (and the Value Data - which comes up when double-clicking the value - will be - and is by default when creating - a 0
I don't know if its related to my previous Bluetooth problem but I am am not able to connect any Bluetooth devices to my Dell XPS 13 (Windows 10).

In Bluetooth settings, it shows that "Bluetooth is turned off.

Bluetooth does not show up in the device manager unless I show hidden devices.

When I try Bluetooth troubleshooter, it concludes that "Device does not have Bluetooth."

I tried restarting Bluetooth Audio Gateway Services, Bluetooth Support Services, and Bluetooth User Support Services from with "Services," but that has also not helped.

PLEASE HELP!
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Moshe Green

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: Yesterday at 03:33:57 PM »
I don't know if its related to my previous Bluetooth problem but I am am not able to connect any Bluetooth devices to my Dell XPS 13 (Windows 10).

In Bluetooth settings, it shows that "Bluetooth is turned off.

Bluetooth does not show up in the device manager unless I show hidden devices.

When I try Bluetooth troubleshooter, it concludes that "Device does not have Bluetooth."

I tried restarting Bluetooth Audio Gateway Services, Bluetooth Support Services, and Bluetooth User Support Services from with "Services," but that has also not helped.

PLEASE HELP!
Try uninstalling the bluetooth driver (in device manager) and then searching for new devices.

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: Yesterday at 10:48:33 PM »
Try uninstalling the bluetooth driver (in device manager) and then searching for new devices.
Tried that, does not help. As mentioned, Bluetooth does not show up in device manager unless I show hidden. Also, when I click on properties, I get message that: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45) To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.