Topic Wiki

I figured that even this thread can have a wiki.
If your computer or phone is giving you issues:

• Please read this before posting: 4 Reasons Why IT People Ignore Your Requests for Help
• Restart the computer. Hopefully this will take care of any issues
• If your problem has not yet been solved, try to Google it. There may be a very simple solution
• On a Windows computer, a system restore may do the trick.
(This is a work in progress, please feel free to add whatever you may feel is helpful)

Please post whether or not the problem was fixed

Apple iPhone Master Thread
« Last edited by Thingywingy on May 07, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »

Author Topic: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread  (Read 977603 times)

Offline notanonymous

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread
« Reply #400 on: January 15, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »
1. Is there a way to let a computer connect to a wireless router in order to to be able to access it locally over the network, but block it from Internet access? Preferably in a way which would allow easy switching, for example a firewall with different profiles, one of which would block anything outside of 192.168.*.*
2. Sometimes I would like to tether my computer to my phone just to update Quicken. Is there a similar way to create a profile to allow just one or two programs Internet access and block everything else like Windows Update, etc., and also allow easy switching?
TIA
2.  Same answer as 1 (except DNS trick would block all dns traffic, so that would not be an option).

Offline AnonymousUser

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 15, 2014, 08:57:30 PM »
1. You can for sure do that on the hardware level with a router (e.g. sonicwall).  But why not just put a software filter that blocks everything.  Or for 'fake' protection, put in a bogus DNS for that computer.
Can you suggest a filter that would work for both? I already have K9. Or can I do this with Windows Firewall?

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 16, 2014, 02:13:49 AM »
Can you suggest a filter that would work for both? I already have K9. Or can I do this with Windows Firewall?
I just reread your question.  Let me rephrase your question - tell me if this is what you are trying to accomplish.  Your internet comes in to your house and goes in to a wireless router.  You want all internet traffic to be blocked on that router, except 1) when a specific IP address connects (which will have full access), 2) all computers can access a white list

Is this your goal?  If so, the software solution will not work.  You'll need either a hardware router with an internet filter, or you can rig up a dd-wrt and use opendns.  The dd-wrt's routing tables will need to be configured so someone cannot bypass the opendns.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 16, 2014, 11:28:04 PM »
I just reread your question.  Let me rephrase your question - tell me if this is what you are trying to accomplish.  Your internet comes in to your house and goes in to a wireless router.  You want all internet traffic to be blocked on that router, except 1) when a specific IP address connects (which will have full access), 2) all computers can access a white list

Is this your goal?  If so, the software solution will not work.  You'll need either a hardware router with an internet filter, or you can rig up a dd-wrt and use opendns.  The dd-wrt's routing tables will need to be configured so someone cannot bypass the opendns.
Let me be clearer. I have a bunch of devices connect to the wireless router. Most of them I want to be able to access the Internet normally. I have 2 laptops on which I want to have the following options available, and also the option to easily switch between them (they don't have to be locked):
1. Full access to the Internet (filtered by K9). This is what I currently have.
2. Full access to any local device connected to the router and vice versa without any access to the Internet. This can probably be accomplished with a bogus DNS like you suggested, and if I need access, I can replace it. It might also be possible with a firewall as below. It might also be possible with K9 by requiring whitelisted sites and not enabling anything. Even though that would only block the browsers, that would be OK too.
3. To allow only certain programs access to the Internet, for example Quicken, while blocking all others, including browsers, Windows Update, etc. I would think this could be accomplished with a software firewall, which would allow inbound and outbound access only to whitelisted programs while blocking all other traffic. I would need this to be a profile which could be easily disabled when necessary.
What do you think? TIA

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 17, 2014, 01:08:45 AM »
Let me be clearer. I have a bunch of devices connect to the wireless router. Most of them I want to be able to access the Internet normally. I have 2 laptops on which I want to have the following options available, and also the option to easily switch between them (they don't have to be locked):
1. Full access to the Internet (filtered by K9). This is what I currently have.
2. Full access to any local device connected to the router and vice versa without any access to the Internet. This can probably be accomplished with a bogus DNS like you suggested, and if I need access, I can replace it. It might also be possible with a firewall as below. It might also be possible with K9 by requiring whitelisted sites and not enabling anything. Even though that would only block the browsers, that would be OK too.
3. To allow only certain programs access to the Internet, for example Quicken, while blocking all others, including browsers, Windows Update, etc. I would think this could be accomplished with a software firewall, which would allow inbound and outbound access only to whitelisted programs while blocking all other traffic. I would need this to be a profile which could be easily disabled when necessary.
What do you think? TIA
That would work, but then item 1 above would not be possible.  You could, of course, enter supervisor mode, but that would give full, unfiltered access.  I haven't used it in a few years, but Net Nanny used to (and I imagine still does) allow you to have multiple user profiles with different access rights.  NN (or a similar software), will IMO be your most cost-effective, best solution.

Regarding 3, I do not recall how programmable NN was.  Although you may not be able to allow "per program" access, perhaps you could just white list those addresses (if you could figure them out).  Alternatively, like you mentioned you can always configure Windows Firewall to block outbound.

Offline srap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 21, 2014, 12:00:42 PM »
Problem:  Most of the links in dansdeals.com are not working for me.  (ie. titles, comments, blue links (some do work), 5 tabs (cc, mileage, etc) at top of dd page, etc).
Tried:  1.  on main dd page, pressed cookie picture on my Chrome browser top bar and deleted dd cookies
             2.  Same problem in Firefox
Anyone know a fix?  TY   
Just for the record, everything is mysteriously back to normal as of yesterday!!  I still hadn't found a solution and made no changes on my computer.  With traffic increase due to recent Delta glitch and more seminars, this makes me wonder if my DD ostracized days were a possible ramification of Dan's website being overloaded......yet no one else complained about it on the forum. ?   BH I'm connected again.(posts #379, #384, #385, #392, #393)

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 21, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »
I recently had BSOD issues that were traced to a bad memory module which i pulled. I must have bumped something in my desktop when taking it out as my hdmi port is no longer working. Yesterday it showed picture but the sound was off and when I pulled the cable and reconnected it, it no longer registered. I noticed that attached black and white wire is not connected to anything (it comes from my motherboard). Wondering if that has to do with it, or if there is something else?  I pulled out and reconnected the graphics card but no dice. For reference I have a geforce 310.
http://postimg.org/image/bxtzui0hx/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:37:06 PM by noturbizniss »
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 21, 2014, 01:22:45 PM »
I recently had BSOD issues that were traced to a bad memory module which i pulled. I must have bumped something in my desktop when taking it out as my hdmi port is no longer working. Yesterday it showed picture but the sound was off and when I pulled the cable and reconnected it, it no longer registered. I noticed that attached black and white wire is not connected to anything (it comes from my motherboard). Wondering if that has to do with it, or if there is something else?  I pulled out and reconnected the graphics card but no dice. For reference I have a geforce 310.
Did you look on the graphics card for a place for the connection?

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 21, 2014, 02:08:13 PM »
Did you look on the graphics card for a place for the connection?
i did, but did not see anything
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 21, 2014, 02:45:27 PM »
i did, but did not see anything
Do you have a sound card, or is it onboard?

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 21, 2014, 02:51:49 PM »
To be on the safe side...reinstall drivers.

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 21, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »
Do you have a sound card, or is it onboard?
I have a sound card. I update the drivers from nvidia's website, but no go...
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 21, 2014, 06:52:07 PM »
I have a sound card. I update the drivers from nvidia's website, but no go...
Bah, ordered a chromecast, will use that instead.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline DanH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 22, 2014, 10:23:56 AM »
Just for the record, everything is mysteriously back to normal as of yesterday!!  I still hadn't found a solution and made no changes on my computer.  With traffic increase due to recent Delta glitch and more seminars, this makes me wonder if my DD ostracized days were a possible ramification of Dan's website being overloaded......yet no one else complained about it on the forum. ?   BH I'm connected again.(posts #379, #384, #385, #392, #393)
Glad to hear.
For tech help feel free to Telegram me @DanTechSupp

Offline DanH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 22, 2014, 10:25:24 AM »
Where from your motherboard is it coming out?
For tech help feel free to Telegram me @DanTechSupp

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 23, 2014, 07:27:59 PM »
Where from your motherboard is it coming out?
I'll take a look and try to get a picture.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #416 on: January 23, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »
maybe someone can help

every so often, while im typing, instead of a letter coming from the key, it opens a dialog box.
for example if im typing a doc in word, all of a sudden, when i press say the button for letter t, instead of a t coming up, the t button opens a certain dialogue box; every letter a different box.

i cant get it to go back to typing letters unless i restart my computer.

anyone ever encounter such a problem, or more importantly, know how to fix it?

thanks

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 24, 2014, 01:38:02 AM »
maybe someone can help

every so often, while im typing, instead of a letter coming from the key, it opens a dialog box.
for example if im typing a doc in word, all of a sudden, when i press say the button for letter t, instead of a t coming up, the t button opens a certain dialogue box; every letter a different box.

i cant get it to go back to typing letters unless i restart my computer.

anyone ever encounter such a problem, or more importantly, know how to fix it?

thanks
Maybe by mistake sticky keys is being enabled.  Got to control panel, and look under "Ease of Access" for Windows 7 and 8, and IIRC "Accessibility" for Windows XP.  Disable the shortcut to enable sticky keys.  It could be that by mistake you are hitting it.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 26, 2014, 02:13:23 PM »
I want to use a second router connected with a wire to router 1 as a repeater.
I am connecting 2 to 1 using the lan ports, I am disabling dchp on router 2.
Does this mean that devices connected only to 2 will be assigned an IP by 1?
Also if using port forwarding for a device connected to 2, would I set up the port forwarding on router 1, 2 or both?
TIA!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 02:48:13 PM by churnbabychurn »

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 26, 2014, 06:18:47 PM »
I want to use a second router connected with a wire to router 1 as a repeater.
I am connecting 2 to 1 using the lan ports, I am disabling dchp on router 2.
Does this mean that devices connected only to 2 will be assigned an IP by 1?
Also if using port forwarding for a device connected to 2, would I set up the port forwarding on router 1, 2 or both?
TIA!
What model is router 2?  Some models can be set up in repeater mode.  If not, and you do not want to use file sharing (only internet), have the ethernet cable go from a LAN port on router 1 to the WAN port on router 2.  Make the IP subnet different on both routers (e.g. one router should be 192.168.0.1, and the other should be 192.168.1.1), set the WAN to DHCP