Topic Wiki

I figured that even this thread can have a wiki.
If your computer or phone is giving you issues:

• Please read this before posting: 4 Reasons Why IT People Ignore Your Requests for Help
• Restart the computer. Hopefully this will take care of any issues
• If your problem has not yet been solved, try to Google it. There may be a very simple solution
• On a Windows computer, a system restore may do the trick.
(This is a work in progress, please feel free to add whatever you may feel is helpful)

Please post whether or not the problem was fixed

Apple iPhone Master Thread
« Last edited by Thingywingy on May 07, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »

Author Topic: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread  (Read 977327 times)

Offline Mutty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
Re: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread
« Reply #480 on: February 19, 2014, 01:25:38 PM »
Thanks! What do I gain in Safe Mode?
Did it work?
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline DanH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 19, 2014, 02:31:22 PM »
and for any that you can't find, there are programs you can download that will find the license codes off your computer.
Such as this one:
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/26240
For tech help feel free to Telegram me @DanTechSupp

Offline srap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 19, 2014, 03:34:58 PM »
1) From within Word, you should be able to right click on the picture, and click Save As Picture. Then save it somewhere on your computer. Then, click the Attachments and Other Options link while replying in the thread, and under Attach click Browse. Browse to your picture, and then you can upload it.

Perfect explanation! It just won't let me upload since all the ones I've tried so far are >256KB. 

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #483 on: February 19, 2014, 04:02:44 PM »
Perfect explanation! It just won't let me upload since all the ones I've tried so far are >256KB.
Oh well. You can resize the image in Microsoft Office Picture Manager, and then try. Or you can upload it to another site, and then insert a link here.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Moishel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 19, 2014, 05:34:53 PM »
I think you're going through a whole big hassle for nothing, if the laptop fell it's most probably a physical problem, especially of the external monitor showed normal output. So what are you copying files to another drive?

I'm not saying that you shouldn't backup your files, but it has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 19, 2014, 05:57:52 PM »
I think you're going through a whole big hassle for nothing, if the laptop fell it's most probably a physical problem, especially of the external monitor showed normal output. So what are you copying files to another drive?

I'm not saying that you shouldn't backup your files, but it has nothing to do with the issue at hand.
Understood, however when I first started posting I wrongly assumed it was a software problem and only because of the wonderful chesed of you guys on DDF was i sequentially led in the direction of the current conclusion. 

Further, only because of these posts, I realized the necessity of doing a b/u which I had never done before and DDF is helping me.  Lastly, even if it were a broken screen can you assure me that the resolution/legibility will remain only as bad as it is and not any worse?  I believe it would be wise to do a b/u asap. (p.s.Your posts were directive and valuable, ty)

Offline DovtheBear

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #486 on: February 19, 2014, 06:12:42 PM »
Did it work?
I won't be at the computer till at least the end of the week. Will report back.
But thanks for asking.
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 19, 2014, 06:45:05 PM »
Understood, however when I first started posting I wrongly assumed it was a software problem and only because of the wonderful chesed of you guys on DDF was i sequentially led in the direction of the current conclusion. 

Further, only because of these posts, I realized the necessity of doing a b/u which I had never done before and DDF is helping me.  Lastly, even if it were a broken screen can you assure me that the resolution/legibility will remain only as bad as it is and not any worse?  I believe it would be wise to do a b/u asap. (p.s.Your posts were directive and valuable, ty)
You're right. It's ALWAYS a good idea to have a backup plan...

Offline Moishel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 19, 2014, 08:39:52 PM »
That's right, always have backup, and imo you shouldn't bother with a flash drive, for a measly 50-60 bucks a year you get unlimited constant online backup, and when disaster strikes you'll thank yourself for it.

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 19, 2014, 09:14:26 PM »
That's right, always have backup, and imo you shouldn't bother with a flash drive, for a measly 50-60 bucks a year you get unlimited constant online backup, and when disaster strikes you'll thank yourself for it.
True, if you are only concerned with the $$ and convenience aspect.  Some of us are still trying to hold out from giving Big Brother (Google?) all of our privy info on a silver platter.  Different strokes for different folks.

2) It will copy the program files, but not the actual setup files / installation files. You can copy them back, but most programs will not work just by doing that.
So even when the actual setup files is folder copied from C:->program files->setup.exe there may be a likely chance it is not the same as on the installation disks and will not work.  :(

What if I were to do a system image backup?  Would that work?  (as if I know what I am talking about)

Offline dudi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
« Reply #490 on: February 20, 2014, 12:37:48 AM »
Just got a new lenovo y510p I'm having major problems with the wireless as it's disconnecting every 5 mins and I have to disconnect and reconnect again to get it working again it seems to be a common problem on this laptop any advice?

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 20, 2014, 12:47:53 AM »
Just got a new lenovo y510p I'm having major problems with the wireless as it's disconnecting every 5 mins and I have to disconnect and reconnect again to get it working again it seems to be a common problem on this laptop any advice?
I don't have experience with this, but I'd try running windows update and see if that fixes it.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 20, 2014, 12:48:43 AM »
True, if you are only concerned with the $$ and convenience aspect.  Some of us are still trying to hold out from giving Big Brother (Google?) all of our privy info on a silver platter.  Different strokes for different folks.
So even when the actual setup files is folder copied from C:->program files->setup.exe there may be a likely chance it is not the same as on the installation disks and will not work.  :(

What if I were to do a system image backup?  Would that work?  (as if I know what I am talking about)
System image backup would work. Problem with that, is that you'd get your computer back exactly how it is now - so if there's a virus or something, it would be there.

Are there specific programs you're worried about losing?

Offline dudi

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 20, 2014, 01:02:00 AM »
I don't have experience with this, but I'd try running windows update and see if that fixes it.
ok will do thanks

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 20, 2014, 02:02:12 AM »

The problem is not that 'it won't be the same on the installation disk.'  When you install a piece of software, besides copying the necessary files and folders to your computer, the installation process also makes changes to the registry and other system files.  Those changes can not (simply) be copied over from one machine to the next.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: February 20, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »
The problem is not that 'it won't be the same on the installation disk.'  When you install a piece of software, besides copying the necessary files and folders to your computer, the installation process also makes changes to the registry and other system files.  Those changes can not (simply) be copied over from one machine to the next.
+1

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 20, 2014, 03:37:32 PM »
I just read an interesting idea today. If you use portable apps, then all you have to do is backup the folder with the apps, and to restore just copy it back. Since it doesn't affect the registry, all you need is the files.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 20, 2014, 03:39:05 PM »
I just read an interesting idea today. If you use portable apps, then all you have to do is backup the folder with the apps, and to restore just copy it back. Since it doesn't affect the registry, all you need is the files.
+∞

Offline dudi

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 20, 2014, 10:45:31 PM »
so yea in the mean time it seems to be that you right when I ran windows update there was a update for the wireless driver and it seems to have solved it let's hope it did bh.
Now the next q. Is that my mouse pad freezes every once in a while for a few sec or so does that make any sense in a one day old i7 4th gen 8gb laptop? Should I be going now through all the trouble returning it?

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 21, 2014, 04:50:22 AM »
and
+1
  Got it! I'm going to try to figure out system imaging then.  TY.
Are there specific programs you're worried about losing?
  Yes, I will not be able to replace it.