Topic Wiki

I figured that even this thread can have a wiki.
If your computer or phone is giving you issues:

• Please read this before posting: 4 Reasons Why IT People Ignore Your Requests for Help
• Restart the computer. Hopefully this will take care of any issues
• If your problem has not yet been solved, try to Google it. There may be a very simple solution
• On a Windows computer, a system restore may do the trick.
(This is a work in progress, please feel free to add whatever you may feel is helpful)

Please post whether or not the problem was fixed

Apple iPhone Master Thread
« Last edited by Thingywingy on May 07, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »

Author Topic: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread  (Read 977256 times)

Offline Moishel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread
« Reply #620 on: May 05, 2014, 10:19:29 AM »
(scaring the living daylights out of me!)
This would be a good reminder to set up backup. It would help out with the 'living daylights' situation, and next time might not have a happy ending.

Offline srap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 05, 2014, 11:26:37 AM »
This would be a good reminder to set up backup. It would help out with the 'living daylights' situation, and next time might not have a happy ending.
How right you are and my lame excuse of it's such a daunting task is just....lame. 

We had this discussion upthread since I only trust physical devices, not virtual hackable clouds.  Plus I'm having a kindergarten temper tantrum since I don't have original software discs and I want to be able to back up my applications.  >:( [size=78%]  [/size]

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 05, 2014, 12:18:36 PM »
I think your home computer is more hachable than the big backup companies servers. Just my opinion.

Besides that with software like crash plan and others you can set up to backup to your work computer or a friends computer, the backup file is fully encrypted, doesn't touch the "cloud", and is completely free.

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 05, 2014, 01:56:51 PM »
I think your home computer is more hachable than the big backup companies servers. Just my opinion.

Besides that with software like crash plan and others you can set up to backup to your work computer or a friends computer, the backup file is fully encrypted, doesn't touch the "cloud", and is completely free.
Applications too or only docs/pics/etc?
Just waiting to be hacked...

Online dovy2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 05, 2014, 02:10:12 PM »
Doors anyone have the Dell venu pro 8?

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 05, 2014, 03:42:32 PM »
Applications too or only docs/pics/etc?
Just waiting to be hacked...
It's not an image backup if that's what you're asking, but technically it backs of the application files too, and sometimes that will work, and in some cases the installation files are included in the system files. But that's in no way as straightforward as an image backup, or having the installation disk handy/backed up.

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 05, 2014, 04:07:46 PM »
It's not an image backup if that's what you're asking, but technically it backs of the application files too, and sometimes that will work, and in some cases the installation files are included in the system files. But that's in no way as straightforward as an image backup, or having the installation disk handy/backed up.
Any chaps on this?  Good ones, bad ones, cheaper, dos or don'ts?

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 05, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »
Paragon is free and is supposed to be good, but I have no personal experience with it. Perhaps some of the others here can chime in.

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 06, 2014, 10:22:29 AM »
Back again trying to get 3 or 4 laptops up to do a 4BM and 2 can not connect to internet.  Optimum thinks they may be registry problems.
Comp#1:  Missing .exe files to most programs, yet MS word and Picture mgr work
Comp#2:  Realtek and Ralink are showing up in device manager, but adapter settings folder is empty in network sharing.
Help anyone?

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 06, 2014, 01:30:56 PM »
Back again trying to get 3 or 4 laptops up to do a 4BM and 2 can not connect to internet.  Optimum thinks they may be registry problems.
Comp#2:  Realtek and Ralink are showing up in device manager, but adapter settings folder is empty in network sharing.
Help anyone?
al regel achas...
computer 1 sounds like a virus
computer 2...uninstall both adapters and reboot, any change?

Offline DH Data Recovery

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: May 06, 2014, 02:50:59 PM »
Help anyone?
Do system restore to last working date

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 06, 2014, 03:19:08 PM »
al regel achas...
computer 1 sounds like a virus
computer 2...uninstall both adapters and reboot, any change?
Do system restore to last working date
Comp#1: Ok.  I'll install an anti-virus program, then do a restore if need be.  Restore still works on XP?
Comp#2: Is there any reason to believe that Realtek and Ralink will not return if I uninstall them?  Do I need to back them up first? This one is Windows 8

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 07, 2014, 12:26:57 AM »
Comp#1: Ok.  I'll install an anti-virus program, then do a restore if need be.  Restore still works on XP?
Comp#2: Is there any reason to believe that Realtek and Ralink will not return if I uninstall them?  Do I need to back them up first? This one is Windows 8
When you select uninstall from the device manager, there is an option to 'remove software'.  By default it is unchecked.  If you leave it, you should be fine.  Worse case scenario, you can always download the drivers.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 07, 2014, 12:30:37 AM »
Also for comp2....Click start, type 'cmd' (no quotes), then enter.  At command prompt, type 'ipconfing' (no quotes) then enter.   Take a screenshot (make sure you get the full command prompt window), and post it here.

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 07, 2014, 12:55:25 AM »
Comp#1:  I put in Kaspersky disc, but couldn't run program because it gives the same message as any other program I try to run....""missing the ----.exe file"    I then rebooted the computer with the disc in and it started "Kaspersky rescue."   
           ERROR: Unable to locate IOAPIC for GSI --
           Loading Module:  Scanning for pata_------...pata---...loaded.
                                       Scanning for pata__netcell...(stuck here for 30 minutes now)
Comp#2:  I uninstalled Realtek and Ralink, restarted computer, and now instead of showing the two icons it shows two yellow exclamations.  Pushing reinstall for each gave me:  'Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device."  Choosing to search for and download the drivers from the web gave me:  Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.  The data is invalid."            Should I try to download it from HP?

Also for comp2....Click start, type 'cmd' (no quotes), then enter.  At command prompt, type 'ipconfing' (no quotes) then enter.   Take a screenshot (make sure you get the full command prompt window), and post it here.
RESULT:  "  'ipconfing' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."  [This is Windows 8]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:00:33 AM by srap »

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 07, 2014, 01:33:14 AM »
Comp#1:  I put in Kaspersky disc, but couldn't run program because it gives the same message as any other program I try to run....""missing the ----.exe file"    I then rebooted the computer with the disc in and it started "Kaspersky rescue."   
           ERROR: Unable to locate IOAPIC for GSI --
           Loading Module:  Scanning for pata_------...pata---...loaded.
                                       Scanning for pata__netcell...(stuck here for 30 minutes now)
Comp#2:  I uninstalled Realtek and Ralink, restarted computer, and now instead of showing the two icons it shows two yellow exclamations.  Pushing reinstall for each gave me:  'Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device."  Choosing to search for and download the drivers from the web gave me:  Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.  The data is invalid."            Should I try to download it from HP?
RESULT:  "  'ipconfing' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."  [This is Windows 8]
Sorry, typo...."ipconfig"

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 07, 2014, 01:35:48 AM »
For computer2, go to the manufacturer's website (obviously on another computer), go to their support and downloads section, put in your model number, then find your network card drivers.  Download and reinstall on computer2.

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 07, 2014, 02:26:14 AM »

Comp#1:  How do I get out of stalled computer from the Rescue Disc...Power off button?

Sorry, typo...."ipconfig"
Comp#2:  "Windows IP Configuration"

For computer2, go to the manufacturer's website (obviously on another computer), go to their support and downloads section, put in your model number, then find your network card drivers.  Download and reinstall on computer2.
  Doing now   [p.s.  TY]

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 07, 2014, 02:34:47 AM »
Comp#1:  How do I get out of stalled computer from the Rescue Disc...Power off button?
Comp#2:  "Windows IP Configuration"

Doing now   [p.s.  TY]
1 - yes, hold it down for a few seconds
2 - makes sense, now that the drivers are uninstalled.  Post again after the reinstall (which might just fix it)

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 07, 2014, 03:03:26 AM »
1 - yes, hold it down for a few seconds
2 - makes sense, now that the drivers are uninstalled.  Post again after the reinstall (which might just fix it)
Comp 1-(after restarting with rescue disc inside and aborting because of frozen screen:) 'Last attempt to restart system from previous location failed.   Delete restoration data and proceed to boot menu OR continue with system boot?  Which one?

Comp 2- Under my HP model I found Realtek, but not Ralink network adapter.  Silly me didn't write down all those numbers after the Ralink icon before I deleted it.  Listed options for my model include Mediatek 802.11 Wireless LAN or should I search the web for the Ralink?