Topic Wiki

Something Fishy's map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1t0gaXyBTxpMw1mf_pda3ZLnnNxZv0Gfm&usp=sharing

Acronym Guide:

NHP: National Historic Park
NHS: National Historic Site
NM: National Monument
NMP: National Military Park
NP:  National Park
NRA: National Recreation Area
NS: National Seashore

Author Topic: National Parks Master Thread  (Read 72837 times)

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Which US national parks have you been to? Which was your favorite?
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2020, 06:30:09 PM »
Okay then, I've been to:

Acadia
Arches - loved it!
Badlands
Big Bend
Black Canyon of the Gunnison
Bryce - stunning!
Canyonlands
Capitol Reef
Carlsbad Caverns - amazing!
Crater Lake - gorgeous!
Denali - enjoyed the all-day bus tour so much we did it again the next day
Gateway Arch
Glacier - my favorite!!
Grand Canyon - to the bottom and back up!
Grand Teton
Great Sand Dunes - really cool and not as well-known as it should be
Great Smoky Mountains
Guadalupe Mountains
Kenai Fjords
Kings Canyon
Mammoth Cave
Mesa Verde - lots of fun for kids
Mount Rainier
North Cascades - another one that deserves more love than it gets
Olympic
Redwood - I really loved it here, had an amazing time tracking down Hyperion, the tallest living thing on Earth, whose location is kept secret, a shame it's so remote
Rocky Mountain
Sequoia
Shenandoah - Old Rag is a great hike - but not in the rain!
White Sands
Wind Cave
Wrangell-St. Elias
Yellowstone
Yosemite
Zion

Ask away.
Are all 3 near Seattle doable In a one week trip?

Online Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2020, 06:42:51 PM »

Any recommendations for GSM, in terms of where to base out of, hikes, sights, etc. ?

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2020, 06:51:42 PM »
Any recommendations for GSM, in terms of where to base out of, hikes, sights, etc. ?
There is a thread for gsm btw, very helpful

Online Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2020, 07:11:41 PM »
There is a thread for gsm btw, very helpful

Honestly didn't see much there.
And a Minyan is not in the making now,lol

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2020, 10:10:51 PM »
Driving-wise, it can work. But really, no.  Each one of those NPs is amazing on its own.  I tried planning such a trip, but couldn't do it.  Had to choose two.  There's at least one TR on those NPs.
44/50, 46/63

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2020, 10:20:46 PM »
Driving-wise, it can work. But really, no.  Each one of those NPs is amazing on its own.  I tried planning such a trip, but couldn't do it.  Had to choose two.  There's at least one TR on those NPs.
Which two would you choose in sucha situation?

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2020, 10:49:52 PM »
Depends when your week starts and ends and if you'd want to be in Seattle for Shabbos.  I'd most likely choose Olympic and Mt. Rainier, but you will only have a taste of each. 
44/50, 46/63

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2020, 11:36:57 PM »

Olympic is the most spread-out of the 3. If you want to see the various parts of it, you need 2 full days. Rainier you could do in 1 full day, but you'd probably need to stay there the night before or after. North Cascades can also be done in just 1 day, though a lot of the best parts of it require longer hikes and would involve a 2nd day.

So that's 4-5 days of touring, plus you need to look on a map and see that although they're all technically near Seattle, they're in different directions and not so close to each other. If you were spending the Shabbos before or after in Seattle, you could probably pull it off if you start your days early enough.

We actually spent the Shabbos before in Portland, then came up the coast through Olympic to North Cascades, then spent 2-3 days in Seattle proper along with a Shabbos, then hit Rainier and Mt. St. Helens on our way back to PDX, from where we flew home.

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2020, 11:40:08 PM »

Didn't see your post and SSLPhD's posts before I wrote mine. A lot of it depends on the ages of the people in your group and how much you like hiking. North Cascades is gorgeous and not so far from Seattle, but you need to do more hiking to really appreciate its beauty (with little kids, we didn't).

Olympic is much more diverse - beaches, rain forests, waterfalls, lakes, Hurricane Hill - but also spread out and the most driving to see it all. Rainier is really nice and enjoyable even without major hiking.

But they're all in different directions from Seattle, so the best would be to look at them all on a map and figure out where you want to go.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2020, 12:21:27 AM »
Depends when your week starts and ends and if you'd want to be in Seattle for Shabbos.  I'd most likely choose Olympic and Mt. Rainier, but you will only have a taste of each.
Thanks

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2020, 12:21:47 AM »
Didn't see your post and SSLPhD's posts before I wrote mine. A lot of it depends on the ages of the people in your group and how much you like hiking. North Cascades is gorgeous and not so far from Seattle, but you need to do more hiking to really appreciate its beauty (with little kids, we didn't).

Olympic is much more diverse - beaches, rain forests, waterfalls, lakes, Hurricane Hill - but also spread out and the most driving to see it all. Rainier is really nice and enjoyable even without major hiking.

But they're all in different directions from Seattle, so the best would be to look at them all on a map and figure out where you want to go.
Thanks. Good information

Offline Der Deutsche Jude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, CA, FAA, GA, NA, OA, WA
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2020, 12:55:33 AM »
In terms of nature, I think Cherokee is a bit more conveniently located than Gatlingurg, except for its distance from Cades Cove(a must do). Gatlinburg though has more touristy things and more lodging options. So I guess it depends if you’re going this summer or some time in the future. Cherokee is near blue ridge mountains which are less crowded than the national park and offers the same scenery. Hikes depend on your capabilities and time. My LeConte is very nice but will take up your whole day.  Also if you happen to go May/June the synchronous fireflies are a bucket list item, but hard to predict exactly when it’ll occur.

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2020, 01:54:10 AM »
I've B"H been to 35 out of the 62 NP's. Hands down, Glacier NP in Montana is my favorite - I've gone back another 2 times since the initial visit and would gladly head there again. But you have to be willing to hike to experience and appreciate all of its beauty, not just drive the Going-to-the-sun-road with all the rest of the tourists. Happy to type up the full list of 35 or give more ratings or recommendations if it will be helpful.
Thank you for the list in your next post (figures I'd spare people the long quote that would be if I'd quote that one).

My question if focused on your statement "you have to be willing to hike to experience and appreciate all of its beauty, not just drive..."

The problem is, that's not possible for families who travel with very little children and/or babies.

Hence my question to you and to everyone else here who's been to many NPs like you. Can you please list your top ten or twenty NPs (or even state parks for that matter, if they're nice enough), in order of your favorites, but specifically keeping in mind someone who can't go on any long or strenuous hikes, or any hikes impractical or unsafe for small children.

With that in mind, would Glacier still be your favorite? Or would that alter your order of preference entirely?

To give some perspective, I for one have been to the following NPs (most of them with kids):

Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park
Grand canyon,
Petrified Forest,
Zion,
Bryce canyon,
Grand Teton,
Yellowstone,
Yosemite,
Shenandoah,
Jasper (+ Banff),  - Canada

I'd like to go back to most of them, though Glacier is also high on my list. But at this point in life it's gonna have to be with little kids in tow.

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2020, 10:01:01 AM »
Thank you for the list in your next post (figures I'd spare people the long quote that would be if I'd quote that one).

My question if focused on your statement "you have to be willing to hike to experience and appreciate all of its beauty, not just drive..."

The problem is, that's not possible for families who travel with very little children and/or babies.

Hence my question to you and to everyone else here who's been to many NPs like you. Can you please list your top ten or twenty NPs (or even state parks for that matter, if they're nice enough), in order of your favorites, but specifically keeping in mind someone who can't go on any long or strenuous hikes, or any hikes impractical or unsafe for small children.

With that in mind, would Glacier still be your favorite? Or would that alter your order of preference entirely?

To give some perspective, I for one have been to the following NPs (most of them with kids):

[snip]

I'd like to go back to most of them, though Glacier is also high on my list. But at this point in life it's gonna have to be with little kids in tow.

Perhaps I should clarify. Even if you just drive through Glacier on GTTS road (the main artery through the park), you'll still be blown away by the beauty. But unfortunately, IG/FB has killed the park by overrunning it with tourists. There have been months when it got more visitors than Yellowstone - insane! Yellowstone is huge and spread out and can handle the traffic, but Glacier has one road cutting through most of the park, and the visitor increase has made navigation and parking really frustrating unless you wake up ungodly early or ... unless you hike to get away from the crowds.

Additionally, unlike in other parks where you can see most of the main event from your car (see list below), in Glacier there's so much beauty waiting to be discovered around every turn on every trail, primarily stunning lakes at the base of a mountain that you have to hike through a valley to reach.

But if you just drive through Glacier and stop at the main pullouts, you'll definitely be blown away by the beauty no question, as long as you can be patient regarding the traffic and parking situations.

But if you've been to the Canadian Rockies, you'll likely find it very similar. And most (non-hikers) I speak to prefer Banff/Jasper because it's all so much more accessible. Peyto Lake is 5 minutes from your car, while Glacier's equivalent takes 2-3 hours to get to. If you're willing to put in the 2-3 hours, you'll escape the crowds and have a magical hike every step of the way until your destination, but with kids, that's not always feasible, hence why most prefer Canada. Me, as beautiful as Lake Louise was, and even hiking 13 miles to both tea houses, I was still repulsed by the crowds on the Canadian side and would take Glacier in a heartbeat.

Getting back to your question, other parks that would be great to visit with kids that aren't up to any real hiking would be, where you can still feel like you "got" most of the experience, would be:

Bryce
Carlsbad
Crater Lake
Denali
Great Sand Dunes
Mammoth Cave
Mesa Verde
Mount Ranier
Rocky Mountain
Sequoia

Hope that helps!

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2020, 10:59:52 AM »
Perhaps I should clarify. Even if you just drive through Glacier on GTTS road (the main artery through the park), you'll still be blown away by the beauty. But unfortunately, IG/FB has killed the park by overrunning it with tourists. There have been months when it got more visitors than Yellowstone - insane! Yellowstone is huge and spread out and can handle the traffic, but Glacier has one road cutting through most of the park, and the visitor increase has made navigation and parking really frustrating unless you wake up ungodly early or ... unless you hike to get away from the crowds.

Additionally, unlike in other parks where you can see most of the main event from your car (see list below), in Glacier there's so much beauty waiting to be discovered around every turn on every trail, primarily stunning lakes at the base of a mountain that you have to hike through a valley to reach.

But if you just drive through Glacier and stop at the main pullouts, you'll definitely be blown away by the beauty no question, as long as you can be patient regarding the traffic and parking situations.

But if you've been to the Canadian Rockies, you'll likely find it very similar. And most (non-hikers) I speak to prefer Banff/Jasper because it's all so much more accessible. Peyto Lake is 5 minutes from your car, while Glacier's equivalent takes 2-3 hours to get to. If you're willing to put in the 2-3 hours, you'll escape the crowds and have a magical hike every step of the way until your destination, but with kids, that's not always feasible, hence why most prefer Canada. Me, as beautiful as Lake Louise was, and even hiking 13 miles to both tea houses, I was still repulsed by the crowds on the Canadian side and would take Glacier in a heartbeat.

Getting back to your question, other parks that would be great to visit with kids that aren't up to any real hiking would be, where you can still feel like you "got" most of the experience, would be:

Bryce
Carlsbad
Crater Lake
Denali
Great Sand Dunes
Mammoth Cave
Mesa Verde
Mount Ranier
Rocky Mountain
Sequoia

Hope that helps!
Thanks for your informative response, you really grasped my issue and what I'm seeking, I appreciate your perspective.

I find your comparison of Glacier to Banff & Jasper interesting (and mention of Peyto Lake just makes me want to go back). So in summation, aside for the traffic/parking issue, would you still suggest Glacier to someone who's already explored Banff/Jasper and won't be going on any long strenuous hikes?

(BTW, your above list doesn't include obvious choices like Yellowstone or Grand Canyon. Is that because it was directed at me and I've already been there? Because I've been to Bryce and you included that as well. Just wondering.)

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2020, 11:16:39 AM »

Out of the 30 National Parks I've been to, 25 have been with kids 5 and under.  We just don't do long hikes, and that's fine...

Many moons ago, when I was in my early 20s (pre-kids), we did a ranger-guided hike to Iceberg Lake in Glacier National Park.  That's a 7-hour roundtrip hike, mostly uphill on the way there, mostly downhill on the way back.  The most memorable part was the knee pain on the way back.  Each step downhill sent shooting pain to my knees.  When we got back to the car, I wanted to sit for a year.  In retrospect, we were in terrible shape and should not have done the hike.  Having young kids actually keeps us from doing hikes we are not prepared for.   :-[  My new approach to hiking is that the payoff has to be something truly unique.  7 hours to hike up close to lava, I'll get through it somehow.  7 hours for a view?  Not a chance.

To answer your question, here are some NPs with nice hikes even kids can do/other activities for kids:

Indiana Dunes NPsand dunes
White Sands NPsand dunes
Great Sand Dunes NPsand dunes
Carlsbad Caverns NPcave
Mammoth Cave NPcave
Wind Cave NPcave
Hawai'i Volcanoes NPlava tube/cave
Sequoia NPhike to the General Sherman tree
Olympic NPHall of Mosses, beaches
Grand Canyon NPwalk up to great views
Yellowstone NPlots of short walks on boardwalks
Bryce NPshort walk among hoodoos

Almost all national parks have ranger-led activities that are appropriate for kids.

I have a friend that runs the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim every year as a birthday present to himself, so he likes long hikes.  When his son was a year old, they did a cross-country road trip hitting up about 20 national parks.  He carried his son in his arms everywhere, so obviously no long hikes, but they still managed to see and enjoy quite a bit.
44/50, 46/63

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2020, 11:28:13 AM »
Most states are lifting those restrictions. Seems that most everyone wants to be open (to some extent) by Memorial Day.

I haven't found a list, I just google specific states for updates.
HERE's a list that is updated. There's been good progress, but there's still some pretty states that unfortunately haven't lifted their travel restrictions yet

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2020, 12:07:48 PM »
Thanks for your informative response, you really grasped my issue and what I'm seeking, I appreciate your perspective.

I find your comparison of Glacier to Banff & Jasper interesting (and mention of Peyto Lake just makes me want to go back). So in summation, aside for the traffic/parking issue, would you still suggest Glacier to someone who's already explored Banff/Jasper and won't be going on any long strenuous hikes?

(BTW, your above list doesn't include obvious choices like Yellowstone or Grand Canyon. Is that because it was directed at me and I've already been there? Because I've been to Bryce and you included that as well. Just wondering.)

Yes, my list meant to exclude places I thought you'd already gone. GC and Yellowstone are both great with kids, but I saw that you'd already been. Overlooked that you'd already gone to Bryce. As kids age though, some places are definitely worth going back without them. For example, when we did a family trip to GC, we hiked 1.5 miles down South Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge with a 1.5-year-old on my back. I almost passed out on the way back up. Years later, I went back alone and had a much easier time hiking to the bottom, staying overnight, and back up the next day.

As for Glacier, it's dear to my heart and I could never tell somebody not to go. But as I said before, it's quite similar to the Canadian Rockies (hence the proximity). If you loved the Rockies and want something similar without border crossings, by all means go. But if you want a diverse change of pace, you might want to first look into some of the others I mentioned.

Online Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2020, 12:29:40 PM »
Yes, my list meant to exclude places I thought you'd already gone. GC and Yellowstone are both great with kids, but I saw that you'd already been. Overlooked that you'd already gone to Bryce. As kids age though, some places are definitely worth going back without them. For example, when we did a family trip to GC, we hiked 1.5 miles down South Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge with a 1.5-year-old on my back. I almost passed out on the way back up. Years later, I went back alone and had a much easier time hiking to the bottom, staying overnight, and back up the next day.

As for Glacier, it's dear to my heart and I could never tell somebody not to go. But as I said before, it's quite similar to the Canadian Rockies (hence the proximity). If you loved the Rockies and want something similar without border crossings, by all means go. But if you want a diverse change of pace, you might want to first look into some of the others I mentioned.

Thank you, Very informative.
If i can add my personal experience, I've gone to the following NP with a baby carrier and immensely enjoyed hiking in them.
Bryce, Zion, Yosemite, Acadia.
Plan on going to GSM, Badlands,Wind cave, TRNP,  shortly and doing the same.

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2020, 12:50:33 PM »
If i can add my personal experience, I've gone to the following NP with a baby carrier and immensely enjoyed hiking in them.
Bryce, Zion, Yosemite, Acadia.
I get the first three, as I did them as well. I was actually looking into Acadia recently but couldn't find any "jaw-dropping" sceneries that I've gotten so used to seeing in the southwest NPs or Canadian Rockies. The scenery seemed like I can find the same in the Catskills/Adirondacks without having to travel to Maine.

Obviously this is all very subjective, but wouldn't mind to be shown information than can perhaps convince me otherwise.