Author Topic: How do you calculate AA points dollar values?  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Sumdevil

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
How do you calculate AA points dollar values?
« on: July 07, 2010, 03:54:17 PM »
If I have 50,000 aa points, how do I find out the dollar value so that I know whether it makes more sense for me to book a flight using cash or points?

Thanks

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: How do you calculate AA points dollar values?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »
assume a value of say $0.016 per AA mile, and do the following: $0.016 x miles needed + tax and fees vs regular ticket price.

whatever is cheaper is what you should take. From the paid ticket you can deduct: miles you will earn x $0.016

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 05:11:48 PM »
 Id like to add, a part of the equation will also depend on if you fly alot and enough to get even the 1st level of Status which by most Programs means 25k a yr in actual flight miles

also keep in mind that usually an Intl flight will cost more then a Domestic flight. with AA for 40k a person can get a free coach tkt to numerous European Countries between 10/15 - 5/15 Inclusive. An example is the trip I took to Belgium in May I left on a Sun and returned that Thurs = 3 nights, it would have cost me $2200 to have done that otherwise, if you stay over a Sat then it was apx $600

also every year before this one I was able to get a NY-LA tkt for <$300 for July and Aug its hard to find anything for <$500, so if I had to be out in LA then a good chance Id use 25k this yr to fly for free if it was available, something I never would have done when the fare was <$300. 1 last item is at times its good to set a goal for your Miles, eg a tkt to Israel , I used to purchase my tkts there but havent in a couple of yrs, simply because it became too expensive per mile wise, where it used to be 6 to 8 cents a mile its now apx 12 cents. So I can either pay for the TLV tkt and earn 11,400 miles from NY or use that same $$ and by flying to the West Coast earn apx 28k miles. Now I fly to TLV a min of 3 x a yr, so if aperson will only be flying say 1 time ayear on their vacation then their accounting should be way different then mine, But they too should work out where theyd like to go using their miles and then apply the formula that SF was so kind to post above
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 05:22:33 PM by steve2 »

Offline Sumdevil

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 05:19:09 PM »
When you
Id like to add, a part of the equation will also depend on if you fly alot and enough to get even the 1st level of Status which by most Programs means 25k a yr in actual flight miles

also keep in mind that usually an Intl flight will cost more then a Domestic flight. with AA for 40k a person can get a free coach tkt to numerous European Countries between 10/15 - 5/15 Inclusive. An example is the trip I took to Belgium in May I left on a Sun and returned that Thurs = 3 nights, it would have cost me $2200 to have done that otherwise, if you stay over a Sat then it was apx $600

also every year before this one I was able to get a NY-LA tkt for <$300 for July and Aug its hard to find anything for <$500, so if I had to be out in LA then a good chance Id use 25k this yr to fly for free if it was available, something I never would have done when the fare was <$300. 1 last item is at times its good to set a goal for your Miles, eg a tkt to Israel , I used to purchase my tkts there but havent in a couple of yrs, simply because it became too expensive per mile wise, where it used to be 6 to 8 cents a mile its now apx 12 cents. So I can either pay for the TLV tkt and earn 11,400 miles from NY or use that same $$ and by flying to the West Coast earn apx 28k miles. Now I fly to TLV a min of 3 x a yr, so if aperson will only be flying say 1 time ayear on their vacation then their accounting should be way different then mine, But they too should work out where theyd like to go using their miles and then apply the formula that SF was so kind to post above

Thanks for the replies!  They're both very helpful.

I generally fly from NY to LA several times a year so what you're saying makes sense.  I also fly from NY to TLV 1-2 times per year.  How exactly do I receive aa points for this?  I'm assuming you're referring to flying with ElAl?  Also, I have about 90,000 miles now, which would be good for a TLV trip, but I'm wondering if it makes more sense to use them for 3 1/2 LA trips.

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 05:24:18 PM »
When you
Thanks for the replies!  They're both very helpful.

I generally fly from NY to LA several times a year so what you're saying makes sense.  I also fly from NY to TLV 1-2 times per year.  How exactly do I receive aa points for this?  I'm assuming you're referring to flying with ElAl?  Also, I have about 90,000 miles now, which would be good for a TLV trip, but I'm wondering if it makes more sense to use them for 3 1/2 LA trips.
Figure out the amount that it would cost for a paid ticket/s and see which one you get more value out of.

Offline Miracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 10:21:07 AM »
I've got about 19k AA miles going to expire in several months. What are my options to benefit?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 10:29:38 AM »
I've got about 19k AA miles going to expire in several months. What are my options to benefit?
Buy a magazine subscription for 500 points and extend them.

Offline Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 10:35:05 AM »
Buy a magazine subscription for 500 points and extend them.
I see one for 100 points.. 12 issues. That would do, right

--- Update, just ordered China News Magazine... 100 miles - hope it works :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:46:35 AM by Miracle »

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »
I see one for 100 points.. 12 issues. That would do, right

--- Update, just ordered China News Magazine... 100 miles - hope it works :)
Yes, that works.

Offline Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 01:21:02 PM »