Topic Wiki

being that they recently changed their policy about non military members , does anyone know of any other programs that would waive the underage?
thanx

CDP# 2046380 waives the underage fee.
« Last edited by hocker on August 26, 2014, 06:19:43 PM »

Author Topic: USAA/hertz/underage car rental  (Read 74971 times)

Offline jack12

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
USAA/hertz/underage car rental
« on: July 08, 2010, 02:38:32 AM »
Someone told me that if I sign up for a USAA bank account, I can rent from hertz for an under 21 y/o (I want to rent outside NY) and the underage fees get waived.

1 - how do I get a USAA bank account? Is it free? Any reason not to get such an account?

2 - does it really waive the under 21 fees? Does the USAA hertz account give any other benefits besides for waiving the underage fee? Are the rates cheaper if using the account?

Thanks in advance!

Offline YOSEF

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
Re: USAA/hertz/underage car rental
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 08:11:06 AM »
Someone told me that if I sign up for a USAA bank account, I can rent from hertz for an under 21 y/o (I want to rent outside NY) and the underage fees get waived.

1 - how do I get a USAA bank account? Is it free? Any reason not to get such an account?

2 - does it really waive the under 21 fees? Does the USAA hertz account give any other benefits besides for waiving the underage fee? Are the rates cheaper if using the account?

Thanks in advance!

To answer one part: its free, easy, and definitely worth it.
They even allow free ACH transfers, which most banks count as a direct deposit, which is great to meet new account requirements.

As for being able to use their corporate account to waive fees- yes being a USAA member does waive underage fees (although I'm not sure if that gets you to 21 or 18; I seem to recall that one or two rental companies will take it down to 18), but I don't know if a bank account is enough; USAA members are actually military members (current and former) and children. I myself have been wondering....

Offline jack12

• View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 10:18:07 AM »
I was wondering the same thing - will the rental company ask for military ID or is being a usaa member enough? If someone has personal experience with this, that would be great

Offline E

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 01:22:03 PM »
MOD PLEASE delete thread, let's try keep things legal

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »
I was wondering the same thing - will the rental company ask for military ID or is being a usaa member enough? If someone has personal experience with this, that would be great

I highly doubt that a person will beable to have access to the USAA benefits by simply opening an acct with them. heres another benefit thats available to Members and not acct holders http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/3936985-post117.html

now if a person knows the proper codes and uses them to make a res, if it was me Id have a backup plan with another company as i would expect to be asked for ID. This USAA has been around for yrs on the web and by now the companys know all about it, so you probably will be Carded

Offline ceejay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 04:23:48 PM »
I know everyone wants this to get taken down so the deal doesnt get ruined by hundreds of yeshiva bochurim. But at this point its too late. At least half of Lakewood and many Yeshivos know about/use this. I think the "discoverers" are OK with the dissemination of this "secret"

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 05:16:20 PM »

whats not LEGAL, if anyone uses USAA and makes a res and are carded and doesnt have the proper ID then they wont get the car for amount they booked it for but instead at whatever rate is the going rate at that time. They arent going to call the police and have them arrested. Its not a crime prese so saying its Illegal isnt correct

Now if they look like a Religious Jew then thats someting else since if they carded you and dont have ID then most likely the Goy will no doubt have numerous thoughts about Jews and what they do.The same can be said whenever using any type of Code that ID is required for, its against the T&C of that company but not Illegal that the police will arrest you and either tkt U or you'll have to show up in court.

Now is publicity good for it nope, and Im sure if you didnt previously know about it youd be the one screaming not to delete these types of posts. But IMO since you knew about it youd rather keep it under raps so as to be able to continue using it. (This is intended to those who knew about it use it and would like to keep it off any board so that they can continue to do so)

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 05:30:16 PM »
I think hes just afraid USAA will figure it out, and start being very makpid
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 06:05:11 PM »
I think hes just afraid USAA will figure it out, and start being very makpid

But unlike Hotel or Airline Codes, I believe the more a Car code gets used the better it is for the Org, now the car company if anyone might get ticked off. Otherwise if they dont aatain certain marks (amount of rentals) then their code probably will be worth less , also could be they get a small rebate as well

Now by a Hotel its way different as it has been explained on FT in the Marriott forum by a former MR employee. Where it can actually cause the Hotel and Company whose code is being used harm = having to pay more  for the actual rooms they themselves will be occupying, By an Airline the same thing X # of seats are alloted under the code once they are sold then that company will end up having to pay more for the seats it still needs to purchase

having said this again its NOT Illegal to use Hotel or Airline codes just be prepared for being Carded and if you cant provide the necessary ID then for being charged Rack rate or having to find something else. Now if its a non-refundable rate/fare you probably can kiss that $$$ Goodbye

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 12:01:38 AM »
steve2 stop making up megilos!!!
he is talking about the legal part of this bec. supposably this code reudces the age to 18, now if they don't want 2 give him the car he aint getting it at any rate.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 12:16:58 AM »
steve2 stop making up megilos!!!
he is talking about the legal part of this bec. supposably this code reudces the age to 18, now if they don't want 2 give him the car he aint getting it at any rate.

??????

Offline jack12

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 03:01:05 AM »
Does anyone have personal experience with using this deal?

Offline YOSEF

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 11:05:21 PM »
+1 this is illegal
What exactly is illegal here?
When you go to USAA to open a bank account, they ask if you are a former or current member of the military, or a close relative of one.
I answered no, and I still was able to open an account, so I don't see how that is illegal.

As for the car rental codes, they sent it to me in the envelope with one of my recent statements.  True, they may not want me using it, but if I get sent the code, even if it says for USAA members, I can't see this as so wrong; maybe a "member" means just a bank account...

Offline Mav4798

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 10:29:35 PM »
I have rented cars through the Hertz/USAA deal.  The age is 18 and they don't card you.  Some rental locations may ask for your USAA membership number but that's it! As long as you have the USAA corporate code (which you can get by calling and asking for it) they will give you the car!!

Offline Centurion

• View Profile
  • Programs: spg plat,avis pres ,hertz plat ,AAexcutime, delta plat,hilton gold, united
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 10:57:21 PM »
re-awaken al oldie!
you can only make a first impression ONCE

Offline wierdal832

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 11:18:01 PM »
I have rented cars through the Hertz/USAA deal.  The age is 18 and they don't card you.  Some rental locations may ask for your USAA membership number but that's it! As long as you have the USAA corporate code (which you can get by calling and asking for it) they will give you the car!!

+1 ive used it many times b4, they waive the underage fee and u save abt 15 percent

Offline az

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 02:36:58 AM »
1: all you need is the usaa #
2: they have never asked me for the # when picking up the car(my ONLY experience is with hertz)

Offline 972sg212

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 03:23:47 AM »
I have been asked for my USAA card with hertz
And I showed them the welcome email from usaa

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 07:28:13 AM »
+1 ive used it many times b4, they waive the underage fee and u save abt 15 percent
You save 11% off the base rate. Sometimes the base rate is cheaper.

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 03:56:33 PM »
I've got a bit of a problem here.  I reserved a car from Hertz using USAA corp.
When I came to pick up, he asked for USAA ID.  I tried to reason with him that I can pull up an email with my USAA ID# or "let's call them up and ask...", but to no avail.  He insisted that in order to get the USAA rate I must show him some form of USAA ID.  So he gave me the car using some outrageous rate of more than double the price!!!  He said that if when I return the car I show the ID he'll put it back to the USAA rate.

I spoke with Hertz Cust. Serv Reps, they say the printing the email should be fine... But this guy is insisting on the ID...

What to do?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am returning the car in like 2 hrs!

TIA