Poll

Do You Use Your Miles Primarily For Coach, Business, Or First When Flying Internationally?

Coach
8 (36.4%)
Business
7 (31.8%)
First
7 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Do You Use Your Miles For Coach, Business, Or First When Flying Internationally?  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
So do you guys typically use your miles for?
I'm talking about when all 3 classes are available for an international ticket.

A coach ticket so that you can stretch the use of your miles so you can go to more places for free?
A business class ticket that typically costs 25%-50% more miles than coach to arrive comfortably to your destination, after all paying for a business class ticket can cost 4 times the price of a coach ticket.
A first class ticket that typically costs 50%-100% more miles than coach to experience luxury travel in a way that you could never afford to do with cash because paying for a first class ticket can cost up to 30 times the price of a coach ticket.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile

A coach ticket so that you can stretch the use of your miles so you can go to more places for free?
A business class ticket that typically costs 25%-50% more miles than coach to arrive comfortably to your destination, after all paying for a business class ticket can cost 4 times the price of a coach ticket.
A first class ticket that typically costs 50%-100% more miles than coach to experience luxury travel in a way that you could never afford to do with cash because paying for a first class ticket can cost up to 30 times the price of a coach ticket.

I vote coach all the way.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline artcraftcrocs

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: air canada elite
i personally would not use points for economy clas tickets as you can usually get them for a good price without getting ripped off.
aswell domestic flights are not worth using points as if you book well enough in advance you can get excellent prices.
their are exceptions of course , when domestic is expensive peak season etc, where i would use points.
but ive always used my points for international flight going business, i used to always get yyz-tlv business class on aircanada for 120,000 aeroplan points , but recently that has been impossible to get a business class ticket on air canada to tlv from toronto will cost 250 k points. so someone told me to book on star alliance with aeroplan points, they give me business class for 120k using lot,swiss,lufthansa, makeing a stop over which i totally dont mind as i always travel alone and never with the wife and kids.
so my opinion is points for business class only ! and only international

Offline Charles The Govenor

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA PLAT AA PLAT
Coach always.

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile

Using your miles for Coach pretty much defeats the purpose and besides, who flies coach internationally?

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Dan, I am very disapointed. You even offer economy as option. I think whoever uses his miles for coach should be banned from DD. If he can prove, that it was during peakseason, he will be reinstated!

Offline steve2

• View Profile
Using your miles for Coach pretty much defeats the purpose and besides, who flies coach internationally?

I do for 1 depending of cause on what the Fares are and as long as Saver is available and isnt in the others. But during off-peak times when Coach is reduced in the # of miles needed then its Coach and Coach only. eg AA is 40k to Europe 10/15-5/15 IMO not worth the extra 60k for Biz yet pay whatever they want for FC

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
I agree with chuchem...very rare to use miles for coach. Although there is that occasional LGA-TYS direct flight that runs over $1,000 that I would use 25K DL for.
-Eli

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
I agree with chuchem...very rare to use miles for coach. Although there is that occasional LGA-TYS direct flight that runs over $1,000 that I would use 25K DL for.

Same goes to same day returns, that get artificially expensive. Take a BRU-ZRH which costs between 1100 - 1250 euro, even if bought up front (if staying only 1 night). The flight takes only an hour.

Taking the same flight but flying onward to HKG, which takes 14 hours, cost half price.

Offline lelee

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
I always book FC awards on international flights to EU or Asia.
But for award travel within Europe, I book Coach (One ways at 12.5k miles with Oneworld for example)
because the distances are short and it would be a waste of miles to book Business.

My favorite FC Award route has to be the JFK-YVR, YVR-JFK flights on CX, which I fly often.
One ways are 32.5k AA miles.