Author Topic: Call of the Shofar  (Read 15249 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Call of the Shofar
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2013, 11:31:38 PM »
Of course, most would host and feed any fellow Jew.
Didn't mean cold shoulder like that. More on a deeper level I guess....

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2013, 12:15:12 AM »
I believe you are proving my point, if they were out to bring people to Chabad then they would focus on Frum and non-Frum alike, the fact that they focus more on non-Frum people is because they are trying to bring people closer to mitzvah observance.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2013, 11:24:45 AM »
You know, I didn't want it to come to this, as we have nice people from both Chabad and Litvish on this forum, but your hateful, ignorant remarks simply demands a response.

Ever since the founding of Chabad with the Alter Rebbe, (Admur Hazakein) they have been relentlessly persecuted by the Litivish. The term "Misnaged" was coined because of the vicious hatred and relentless persecution.

It's no secret that the Gr"a placed the Alter Rebbe in a Cherem based on false pretenses. He was told false information by some of his followers, and without seeking further evidence placed the Alter Rebbe in a Cherem only adding fuel to the existing bitter hatred coming from the side of the Litvish. Did the Alter Rebbe ever do such a thing to the Gr"a?

It didn't stop there. The Litvish community in Europe sought for years to eradicate Chabad and its followers. Massering on them to the governments, beating them physically in the streets and placing the Chabad Rebbe's in Cherem.

The Frierdiker Rebbe left memoirs describing in detail how his cheder Rebbe was beaten up relentlessly by Litvish thugs.

The things Man Shach said about the Lubavitcher Rebbe was so disgusting that I can't understand until today how he wasn't excommunicated by the Litvish community. The same goes for the things Aron Kotler said about the Frierdiker Rebbe. There wasn't a single incident of the Chabad Rebbe's speaking this way about any Litvish Gadol.

Fast forward to today. Fortunately, the Litvish community has for the most part learned to accept Chabad and understand its way of life and its positive effect on world Jewry. Deny it all you want, but the Litvish community and the Litvish Gedolim laughed at the Rebbe and his "Kiruv" campaigns for years and years, mocking it over and over. Chabad Shluchim have literally given their lives over to bring Jewry throughout the world closer to Yiddishkeit. Suddenly, you have Litvish Kiruv campaigns like Oorah showing off how they are doing Kiruv -- the same thing the Litvish laughed at Chabad for but several decades ago.

Chabad Shluchim that I know are very warm, and they will be warm to you if you are warm to them and don't come into their community starting your own Kiruv campaigns. If you start your own Kiruv, and definitely if you start criticizing THEIR Kiruv, I don't expect them to be warm to you.

Last but not least, to the Litvish members of DDF, I have nothing but respect for you as a fellow Jew.
Zale, I was with you until you refer to Litvish gedolim (whom I'm sure you know are highly revered in the Litvish community and beyond) disrespectfully by their first names.  You know this to be offensive, as I'm sure you would be offended if someone referred the Lubavetcher Rebbe in that way. 

You aren't as open minded and accepting as you think.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2013, 01:20:46 PM »
Zale, I was with you until you refer to Litvish gedolim (whom I'm sure you know are highly revered in the Litvish community and beyond) disrespectfully by their first names.  You know this to be offensive, as I'm sure you would be offended if someone referred the Lubavetcher Rebbe in that way. 
+1, although I'd leave out the  editorial
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »
+1, although I'd leave out the  editorial
I never claimed to be open minded and accepting  ;D

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »
Zale, I was with you until you refer to Litvish gedolim (whom I'm sure you know are highly revered in the Litvish community and beyond) disrespectfully by their first names.

Am I missing something? I didn't see any first names in his post. Unless you are referring to the "A" in "GR'A".

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2013, 03:31:23 PM »
Am I missing something? I didn't see any first names in his post. Unless you are referring to the "A" in "GR'A".

"Man" is rav shach's third name. (Elazar menachem man)

(Carry on, I don't get involved in fights where I can't win)

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2013, 04:10:57 PM »

Are you sure? I was under the impression that Man-Shach was a last name.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2013, 04:12:40 PM »
Are you sure? I was under the impression that Man-Shach was a last name.

Could be. And the joke would be the hundreds of 12 year olds in Lakewood named elazar menachem man.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2013, 04:15:55 PM »
Could be. And the joke would be the hundreds of 12 year olds in Lakewood named elazar menachem man.
That would be my brother!  >:(  ;)

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2013, 04:43:26 PM »
Right, and R' Aaron Kotler

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2013, 06:16:44 PM »

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »
To get back on topic...

http://collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=28399&alias=confessions-of-a-shofar-staffer

+1

I am not going to that link, but let us definitely stop the divisive posts. Everyone has lots to say, I do too, but Habolem Piv is best!! Enough!
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2013, 08:54:05 PM »
To get back on topic...

http://collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=28399&alias=confessions-of-a-shofar-staffer
One normal article from this whole mishugas.
I was listening to yossi Jacobson's speech in 770 and he takeh was chazzering over their nekudos.

Offline DovtheBear

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2013, 09:31:58 PM »
@MendyTV: 'Spin an exhausting day calling up random people in Crown Heights and blowing the shofar when they pick up.
#CalloftheShofar #2014
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2013, 09:49:02 PM »
I can't imagine such a thing becoming a widespread problem in the rest of the frum world. (Like satmar, belz, litvish, balabatish. Etc)

Hmmm, what are chabadskers missing?

Offline jaywhy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2014, 12:01:17 AM »
I can't imagine such a thing becoming a widespread problem in the rest of the frum world. (Like satmar, belz, litvish, balabatish. Etc)

Hmmm, what are chabadskers missing?
You are mistaken. There are plenty of people from the rest of the frum world who have participated in this.

Seriously, enough with the Chabad baiting.

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2014, 07:17:16 AM »
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline jaywhy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2014, 12:25:18 PM »
Got this email today from the director of COTS.

Official Statement

To Whom it May Concern:

I am Simcha Frischling, Founder and Executive Director of Call of the Shofar. Sadly, a great deal of slander and misinformation has been circulating about the organization and I want to take this opportunity to clarify who we are.

Call of the Shofar is a non-profit organization whose mission is to empower Jewish men and women of all degrees of observance to live with full vitality and to engage in appropriate, responsible relationship with others. Educational by nature, our programs have brought positive change to thousands of lives worldwide over the past 12 years. With the continued guidance and support of prominent Rabbonim and experts in the field of personal growth, all of our programs are grounded in Torah hashkofa (principles) and are in strict accordance with Halacha (Jewish law).

Our programs explore the journey from Egypt to Israel as a template for our own personal journey back to our true selves. Our workshops provide tools and opportunities to identify and transcend our own constrictions. From greater freedom and clarity we can then consciously orchestrate our actions towards living healthy, vital and responsible lives.

We can all agree that our communities are not immune to individuals suffering from low self-esteem, dysfunctional marriages and a lack of good parenting skills. These problems, to name a few, are affecting the very foundation of our families. To learn and embody the principles which generate emotional and relational wellbeing is now an absolute responsibility and necessity.

Through experiential workshops and educational seminars, we teach skills of healthy communication. We help individuals become aware of old toxic patterns of thinking which often pollute our relationships with our spouses and children. We get in touch with our vitality and emotional vibrancy. We learn to accept responsibility for ourselves, our families and for the communities within which we belong. We step into our freedom of choice from which we connect deeply with G-d and our loved ones. We come to understand our highest priorities and the importance of following the laws and leadership which help us manifest those priorities. We experience gratitude for our lives, which provide us the opportunity to grow and love.

Through compassionate listening and respectful attention, our programs are designed to create a safe environment for people to break free of old, dysfunctional constrictions. Call of the Shofar provides effective tools to live with more vitality and intentionality and the ongoing support to bring these qualities into our everyday lives.

I am proud to be a member of an organization which is having such a positive effect on so many lives. I am honored to be working with so many courageous individuals. I am grateful to be part of a growing circle of individuals who are making positive changes for the sake of our families, our communities, and the ultimate awakening of G-d’s Presence in our lives.

This is what Call of the Shofar is and this is what we do.

Yours truly,

Simcha Frischling

I have provided a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) that address circulating misconceptions. If you have additional questions or inquiries, you may contact me at info@calloftheshofar.org.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

Is the Call of the Shofar curriculum a secret?
In all of our trainings we clearly tell participants that they are free to share whatever they did, saw or experienced on our programs. We make a single exception to this transparency. We request all members to maintain confidentiality concerning what they witnessed or heard other participants share. This comes from a simple and fundamental respect of other people’s privacy. Many of our participants choose not to share the details of the workshops in order to allow their friends and family the opportunity to experience the workshop without preconceived notions or expectations. For this same reason, we do not publish the content of our seminars, but we are always happy to share details or answer question at any time via phone or email.

Is Call of the Shofar therapy?
We do not attempt to administer psychological therapy of any kind and we make it clear to all of our participants that Call of the Shofar workshops are not therapy and do not replace therapy. Through a detailed questionnaire and application process, individuals who have mental health challenges are often asked not to attend the program. While we do not actively try to solve any mental health issues, when given the support and tools to explore self-awareness, participants often experience greater psychological and emotional clarity.

Do we practice meditation?
There are many types of meditation. We practice one very simple form of bringing awareness to our patterns of thinking. We promote freedom and intentionality to the quality of our thoughts. We do not attempt to change or manipulate anyone’s thinking at any time.

Are the programs in alignment with Halacha (Orthodox Jewish law)?
We have made every effort to construct our program in total congruency with Jewish law by consulting with top orthodox authorities. Many prestigious rabbis and Torah Scholars have learned about and experienced Call of the Shofar first hand and have given our program their blessing. Although our program has been approved by and strictly adheres to the guidelines of Orthodox Rabbinic authority, we do not attempt to teach Halacha (Jewish law)  or influence religious observance in any way. We tell our participants to consult with their own Rabbis for matters of Halacha and personal Hadracha (direction). Whenever a Halachic concern has arisen, we have immediately worked closely with Rabbinic authorities to understand the issue and adjust our program accordingly. We are committed to operating within the Torah framework, and will continue to do whatever is necessary to uphold that standard should Halachic issues be brought to our attention.

Are Call of the Shofar techniques or exercises based on non-kosher sources?
Call of the Shofar programs are unique. Some of the principles that we teach and processes that we utilize are of course found in other programs. These commonalities are purely due to their fundamental and universal nature. We follow the Torah’s directive of utilizing the world’s resources for a higher purpose. To that end, our techniques will draw from a variety of sources, yet as stated above, Call of the Shofar works to make sure that every aspect of our programs are in accordance with Halacha and Torah Hashkofa.

Do you take away people’s cell phones?
No. Participants are encouraged to limit their interaction with family and work while participating on the workshop in order to allow complete concentration and minimize distractions. If a participant needs to make a call, they are asked to do so in private as to not distract others.

Is Call of the Shofar a cult?
To label an organization a cult, one must first define the word cult and provide concrete facts to support this claim. Some defining aspects of a cult are the following:

1. A system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object.
2. An organization which imposes control over the minds and behavior of those involved.
3. A group which has a polarized us-versus-them mentality. Members are encouraged to cut ties with other organizations or family members, etc.

Facts:
1. No one in the organization is pretending to be anything other than an individual trying to live life as best as they can. At no time are we pretending to be communal leaders. We are giving over principles. No one in the organization is pretending to be above others in any way or to be role models for others to strictly follow.

2. We are in no way controlling people’s minds. We stress free choice. We teach participants how to take responsibility for their choices and their ways of thinking. We do not tell people what to think and what to do. We teach people how to be aware of the impact of unconscious, bad habits and negative thinking.

3. We stress the exact opposite of an “us versus them” mentality. Our mission is to improve our extended relationships. We emphasize that participants should not isolate themselves. We encourage participants to incorporate the principles and teachings in their personal lives through greater presence, acceptance, and understanding of our common humanity. The participants of our program come from all walks of life and are encouraged to infuse what they learned back into those walks of life.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2014, 04:06:48 PM »
Someone tried to sell me on this in my nebech older single days. I was almost convinced to give it a try until I heard the price tag.