Author Topic: Orthodox Jewish woman is suing makeup giant Lancome  (Read 11378 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Orthodox Jewish woman is suing makeup giant Lancome
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »
I'm sure she could have just returned it to the store and they would have refunded her.  Or at the very least, complained to the company and received compensation.

+1, both things I would have considered doing, and would have encouraged.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »
If she didn't base it on being orthodox I'd see no problem.

I'd disagree, for the points I've mentioned.

For a rather compelling counterpoint to my personal opinion, see Alan Dershowitz's Chutzpah
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline lfas25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 11:51:35 AM »
I sent the article to someone and apparently she knows who this lady is... her husband is an orthodontist and live in a nice neighborhood. Maybe she just has to much time on her hands and finally found something to keep busy with.
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals

Offline DH Data Recovery

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 11:53:25 AM »
Then sue for false advertising not for Shabbos holiness >:(

Offline Red

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 12:07:50 PM »
+1 You have a problem fine, but leave Shabbos and your bar mitzva out of it.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 12:36:20 PM »

Why? Because as Jews, whether we like it or not, we are held to a higher standard. And, whether we like it or not, this paints us in a negative light.

To make a federal lawsuit out of the fact that a $5-10 piece of makeup only lasted 18 hours as opposed to long enough for her to observe the Sabbath while also "enhancing her natural appearance" is just... repugnant.
I hear and agree, but
Would you have a problem with that?
I know she could have just returned for a refund or even ask for compensation, but the purpose of the laws protecting consumers of false deceptive and misleading advertising are not meant to 'compensate' the consumer, its just to keep advertisers from misleading consumers. והא ראיה you can sue without proof you were harmed by the false advertisement.
So it doesnt matter whether its a $5 tube or a $50,000 bucket, all it matters is violation of of the law protecting consumers.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline LeeW

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 12:55:51 PM »
Would you have a problem with that?
I know she could have just returned for a refund or even ask for compensation, but the purpose of the laws protecting consumers of false deceptive and misleading advertising are not meant to 'compensate' the consumer, its just to keep advertisers from misleading consumers. והא ראיה you can sue without proof you were harmed by the false advertisement.
So it doesnt matter whether its a $5 tube or a $50,000 bucket, all it matters is violation of of the law protecting consumers.

The problem people are having with this is not because she is suing over a silly $45 dollar bottle of makeup. everyone is entitled to sue if you feel you were wronged. Even if other people think you should just forget about it and move on. It is a great part of our legal system .

the problem most people have with this is that she decided to make it about her Judaism in an obvious attempt to try to gain sympathy and thereby more money from L'Oreal. That is a classic case of chillul hashem. Using your Judaism as a means to obtain an objective especially when done in a public way as this, demeans Judaism in the eyes of many. This is what is bothering most people. You want to sue because the lipstick didn't stay on your face for 24 hours as advertised? Go right ahead. But don't make this about Judaism or Shabbos. Shabbos and being holy have nothing to do with your lipstick. 

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 01:00:01 PM »
The problem people are having with this is not because she is suing over a silly $45 dollar bottle of makeup. everyone is entitled to sue if you feel you were wronged. Even if other people think you should just forget about it and move on. It is a great part of our legal system .

the problem most people have with this is that she decided to make it about her Judaism in an obvious attempt to try to gain sympathy and thereby more money from L'Oreal. That is a classic case of chillul hashem. Using your Judaism as a means to obtain an objective especially when done in a public way as this, demeans Judaism in the eyes of many. This is what is bothering most people. You want to sue because the lipstick didn't stay on your face for 24 hours as advertised? Go right ahead. But don't make this about Judaism or Shabbos. Shabbos and being holy have nothing to do with your lipstick.
Exactly my point in the post you quoted.

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 01:10:25 PM »
Why? Because as Jews, whether we like it or not, we are held to a higher standard. And, whether we like it or not, this paints us in a negative light.

To make a federal lawsuit out of the fact that a $5-10 piece of makeup only lasted 18 hours as opposed to long enough for her to observe the Sabbath while also "enhancing her natural appearance" is just... repugnant.
+1

Not a good way to make a quick buck, painting a negative image on the frum Jews

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 01:16:32 PM »
+1

Not a good way to make a quick buck, painting a negative image on the frum Jews
Not sure if you wrote that purposely, but it pertains very well to the article.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 01:18:45 PM »
I hear and agree, but  Would you have a problem with that?
I think you're missing the point.

Just because consumer protection laws exist, does not mean a Jew, who again is held to a higher standard, should invoke them in his or her crusade right all wrongs in the consumer arena.

Complain to the manufacturer? Sure. Return to the store? Sure. Complain AND return? Sure. Complain, return, and request compensation? OK, why not.

But to start filing a federal law suit because your "natural glow" didn't make it to havdalah is overkill, it's deplorable, and frankly embarrassing.

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »
Not sure if you wrote that purposely, but it pertains very well to the article.
Pun intended

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 01:51:41 PM »

Just because consumer protection laws exist, does not mean a Jew, who again is held to a higher standard, should invoke them in his or her crusade right all wrongs in the consumer arena.

Complain to the manufacturer? Sure. Return to the store? Sure. Complain AND return? Sure. Complain, return, and request compensation? OK, why not.

But to start filing a federal law suit because your "natural glow" didn't make it to havdalah is overkill, it's deplorable, and frankly embarrassing.
That's the only way to keep manufacturers from misleading consumers - if you engage in deceptive marketing, you risk being punished.
Nothing there for one with 'higher standards' to refrain from.

Offline dd321

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 02:04:01 PM »
An Orthodox Jewish woman is suing makeup giant Lancome, claiming that its “24-hour” foundation doesn’t really last that long — and so doesn’t stay on long enough to get her through the Sabbath.

Rorie Weisberg of upstate Monsey says the French luxury-cosmetics maker committed the sin of false advertising when it claimed that its new Teint Idole Ultra 24H provides a full day and night of “lasting perfection.”

Because of the product’s failure, she says, she can’t look good and stay holy at the same time.

“The 24-hour claim was central to plaintiff’s purchase decision, as a long-lasting makeup assists with her dual objectives of compliance with religious law and enhancement to her natural appearance,” her suit says.

Court papers say Weisberg “is an Orthodox Jew and abides by Jewish law by not applying makeup from sundown on Friday until nighttime on Saturday.” This means the makeup would have been crucial to helping her keep Jewish law, especially at major family occasions.

“Specifically, plaintiff’s eldest son is having his bar mitzvah celebration in June and plaintiff was looking for a long-lasting foundation that would achieve the foregoing dual objectives over the bar mitzvah Sabbath,” the suit says.

It charges that the pricey face paint — $45 for a 1-ounce bottle — “faded significantly” overnight.

The Manhattan federal-court filing accuses Lancome of violating New York business law through “deceptive acts and practices.”

The suit seeks unspecified damages from Lancome and parent company L’Oréal on behalf of Weisberg and everyone else who bought the flesh-colored goop, as well as a “corrective advertising campaign.”

L’Oréal didn’t return requests for comment.
reminds me of the shaitel lawsuit...

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 02:15:20 PM »
If you truly believe that Jews are to be held to a higher standard then you should be with AJK on this one. IHMO this case only highlights that when it comes to money there is no higher standard.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 02:22:12 PM »
That's the only way to keep manufacturers from misleading consumers - if you engage in deceptive marketing, you risk being punished.
Nothing there for one with 'higher standards' to refrain from.

We're on different pages it seems.

No one is saying, in an abstract sense, that one shouldn't avow himself or herself of the consumer protection laws.

I'm saying that us, as Jews, should not be making waves in the media with a federal lawsuit over makeup which didn't last until havdalah.

That's all I can say.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2013, 02:56:32 PM »

No one is saying, in an abstract sense, that one shouldn't avow himself or herself of the consumer protection laws.

I'm saying that us, as Jews, should not be making waves in the media with a federal lawsuit over makeup which didn't last until havdalah.

That's all I can say.

+1

I'd say as a jew you should be careful and pick your battles.  There's nothing wrong with sticking up for your rights but I'd choose to do that with important issues. 
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2013, 05:44:22 PM »

That's all I can say.
I guess I'll never understand that.

Offline regalhome

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2013, 08:36:23 AM »
If you truly believe that Jews are to be held to a higher standard then you should be with AJK on this one. IHMO this case only highlights that when it comes to money there is no higher standard.
+100

Offline SuperFlyer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2013, 12:02:24 PM »

Fully Agree !