Author Topic: Rubashkin Habeas Corpus Petition  (Read 3348 times)

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Rubashkin Habeas Corpus Petition
« on: May 01, 2013, 08:39:09 PM »
Just got this in my inbox from Ami Magazine:

On Behalf of the Rubashkin Family.
B"H

Dear extended family,

This has been a tremendous nisayon for our entire family, every single day. We are so grateful to all of you for all you have done and what we have accomplished in this fight for our father's life.

There is one last legal mechanism that can free our beloved father and reunite our family. It is called a habeas corpus petition in which one argues any constitutional rights that were denied; it's also known as a "2255".

We have been researching and interviewing many lawyers and thank G-d we have a great legal team in place that's ready to take this to the finish line, with G-d's help. They have won an impressive amount of habeas petitions and we feel very confident that they are our emissaries from G-d to bring about the ultimate great news we are all so desperately waiting for.

The deadline to file this petition is in 5 months and we have barely started yet (there is a massive amount of work) because we don't have funds to move forward. We desperately need to raise the funds to pay for this legal team as we're running out of time.

We know everyone has already helped out so much but this is basically our last chance in the legal arena. If every person reading this email can help out with $18 (or any number you can) together we can make this a reality.

To make a donation you can:

1) Go to www.justiceforsholom.org/donate
2) Email your pledge to pr@justiceforsholom.org with a phone number to call you back
3) Call or text 615-378-7461 and someone from our team will call you back to receive the credit card info
4) Mail check to Klal Yisroel Fund, 53 Olympia Lane, Monsey, NY 10952

Please pass this on to your contacts!

On this holy day of Lag Baomer may this unprecedented unity and Ahavas Yisroel bring about the ultimate and final redemption for us all!

With deep gratitude,

Roza Hindy, Getzel, Shmuly, Meir Simcha, Mushka, Yossi, Moshe, Mendel, Menucha Rochel and Uziel Rubashkin

CLICK HERE TO DONATE

PS. More info on this effort:

CRITICAL DEADLINE IN THE RUBASHKIN CASE APPROACHING
Legal Team Assembled for Next Stage in Sholom Rubashkin's Fight for Justice

Sentenced to a draconian 27 years behind bars, Sholom Rubashkin's case, which began in 2008, has had international support from hundreds of former Department of Justice officials, federal judges, law professors, congressmen, and senators, as well as tens of thousands of citizens across the country.  He now faces one last chance to fight for justice and freedom from the US Courts by filing a post-conviction motion, known as a Section 2255.

The clock is ticking for Sholom Rubashkin whose mandatory filing deadline for the Section 2255 is October 1, 2013. Jim Wyrsch and J.R. Hobbs of the prestigious Wyrsch Hobbs Mirakian law firm in Kansas City will be spearheading this effort. Together, Wyrsch and Hobbs have successfully litigated numerous post-conviction cases in the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals, including Section 2255 motions.  They will be assisted by sentencing guru Professor Douglas Berman who is a nationally recognized authority on criminal law and sentencing.

Regarding Rubashkin's case, Professor Doug Berman said, "2255 actions are not only the only way, but often the very best way, to unearth and document flaws in the prosecution and sentencing of a defendant in a high-profile case. The best lawyers have a terrific track record of getting death sentences reversed through habeas appeals and Mr. Rubashkin is serving a functional death sentence."

Leah Rubashkin, Sholom's wife, says, "I am hopeful that the funds can be pulled together to retain this incredible power team as soon as possible, especially considering the quickly approaching deadline.  Today is Sholom Rubashkin's 1336th day in prison. Our entire family is davening heart and soul, along with so many of Klal Yisroel, to be reunited with Sholom Mordechai right away!"

For more information on Sholom Rubashkin's case, please visit www.justiceforsholom.org.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline ual902

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rubashkin Habeas Corpus Petition
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:43:52 PM »
"Just got this in my inbox from Ami Magazine:"

OY VEY!!!  Ami is the worst and very bad PR for Sholom Rubashkin after they were pro Weberman.

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 08:47:21 PM »
So now when we don’t like the way a thread is going we just delete it and start over?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:50:45 PM »
So now when we don’t like the way a thread is going we just delete it and start over?
I didn't mind the discussion there to the least. But jut like henche said, that wasn't the place to discuss it.
Feel free to start a new thread in which to discuss that, and to ask mods to merge the previous conversation into it.
This thread is meant for the people who already support him and want him free today.

Offline Twin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 08:55:17 PM »
This thread is meant for the people who already support him and want him free today.
+1000

Thank you txtmax4 donated

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 09:04:35 PM »
+1
He could just RTM to fork it, no need to delete a thread as long as its civil.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 09:28:08 PM »
+1
He could just RTM to fork it, no need to delete a thread as long as its civil.
Or others could ask mods to reinstate it in another thread.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 09:33:01 PM »
Ok, I emailed the firm and offered free legal help. And that's the last I'll post about that, since if I do anything, it will be confidential.

Actually, I haven't the slightest idea what the ethics rules are, because I took ethics with the dersh and it consisted of show and tell (look at this cool guy I got to come, listen to this cool thing I did).

So I follow the "google rule"; if I want to talk about something I'm doing, I google it. If it comes up on google, then I can say it. If it doesn't, then I don't. And who the firm's clients are is also confidential (until I see it in on google). But more actually, a partner once told me to keep something secret even though it was already in a public filing since nobody really figured it out yet. 

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 09:37:53 PM »
Ok, I emailed the firm and offered free legal help. And that's the last I'll post about that, since if I do anything, it will be confidential.

Actually, I haven't the slightest idea what the ethics rules are, because I took ethics with the dersh and it consisted of show and tell (look at this cool guy I got to come, listen to this cool thing I did).

So I follow the "google rule"; if I want to talk about something I'm doing, I google it. If it comes up on google, then I can say it. If it doesn't, then I don't. And who the firm's clients are is also confidential (until I see it in on google). But more actually, a partner once told me to keep something secret even though it was already in a public filing since nobody really figured it out yet. 
It is great to hear you lawyers know what you're doing!

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 09:42:07 PM »

I bet if you get a majority of your class on board to petition and do legal research it could help a lot. I'd imagine your class has influence over much of the future of law in the US.

It's almost a statistical guarantee you are/were in school with a future supreme court justice right now.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 10:10:29 PM »
"Just got this in my inbox from Ami Magazine:"

OY VEY!!!  Ami is the worst and very bad PR for Sholom Rubashkin after they were pro Weberman.
Ami is pro one thing and one thing only. Selling papers

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 11:04:45 PM »
Or others could ask mods to reinstate it in another thread.
So if we disagree with something we should start a new thread? Is this a new rule? I have a problem with asking for donations for someone convicted on 86 counts. My opinion does not matter?

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 11:15:07 PM »
So if we disagree with something we should start a new thread? Is this a new rule? I have a problem with asking for donations for someone convicted on 86 counts. My opinion does not matter?
Ah! This is more on topic!
The previous discussion did not mention anything about helping/deterring the cause other than the first three posts.

In any case, that will probably flourish into a whole big discussion involving all legal aspects and arguments for or against. It's a great discussion but, please, can you do it elsewhere? Or is that how you're going to exercise your opposition, by cluttering this thread so that no help comes from DDF?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 11:19:55 PM »

Yes, it is more than a little disrespectful, as I stated in a nicer way in the other thread. Nobody is asking for your opinion; they're asking for help. If you don't want to help, that's fine. But don't start telling people that they shouldn't help.

I haven't the slightest clue why you so much don't want to talk about it somewhere else. Right now, I can only think of reasons that reflect badly on you. So you don't you prove me wrong and go start your own thread or get your bullhorn or whatever.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 12:42:53 AM »
It's a great discussion but, please, can you do it elsewhere?
You are asking for donations/help for this individual. You don't think it is fair to discuss if this individual deserves it? Everyone should just follow blindly?

@henche - You might want to tone down the garbage you are spewing.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 12:49:58 AM »
You are asking for donations/help for this individual. You don't think it is fair to discuss if this individual deserves it? Everyone should just follow blindly?

Dude, we are all very familiar with the entire issue, and nobody is being fooled into doing anything they wouldn't want to do, and nobody is going to follow anything blindly anyway.

I'm sorry you stepped on a landmine, and presumably you didn't realize, but now that you do know, just be respectful and stand down. It's the right thing to do.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 01:02:43 AM »
What landmine are you talking about?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 01:16:07 AM »
What landmine are you talking about?

That this is a sensitive issue for many of us. Particularly for those of us on this thread.

Look, if someone comes to you and asks you to help get their relative out of prison: you can say yes, you can say no, but you really shouldn't say "I disagree and want him to rot"--even if you feel that way. This is my relative, he's in prison, and I'm in pain. Please do me the courtesy of not telling me that you want him to rot (or asking me why you shouldn't want that--to be more precise) when I'm asking people for help.

Thank you. I'm sorry I came across harshly before, I am very sensitive about this. It's a fault I have, but it's what makes me human.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 01:21:35 AM »
Thank you. I'm sorry I came across harshly before, I am very sensitive about this. It's a fault I have, but it's what makes me human.
There is a right way and a wrong to make your point. Good luck with your uphill battle.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 09:59:49 AM »
for someone convicted on 86 counts.
Therein lies the issue for you. That all you see is "86 counts" in big red bold letters. Well, let me ask you a question: If someone killed a fly and got convicted to life in prison would you also object to anyone who defended him?
Dude, we are all very familiar with the entire issue
CountValentine does not seem to be in the above mentioned group of people..