Topic Wiki

Shipping Domestic

WeightUSPSUPSFedEx
13oz and UnderItems under 13oz are usually able to be shipped USPS First Class Mail. By far this is the cheapest option.
Weekly Pickup CostUPS charges $22 for weekly pickups - if you are not shipping with your own UPS account (e.g. Amazons account) If you ship with your own account at least $75 weekly then the fee is $11.It is about the same rates as UPS.
Who Pays When Refusing a packageNo oneShipperShipper
Ship to a PO box?YesNoNo

Need to ship a package with tracking?
Login to paypal and then click this link https://www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create/
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_bulk-ship

Knowing which shipping service to use and when could be tricky. It depends on items weight, how fast needed to be delivered, contents value.

Here are 2 free tools I found that can answer many of the pricing questions on this thread:
1. Fitshipper is for when you know the delivery address, size & weight.    2. Fitshipper for listings is when you are not your sure of the destination (eBay etc.).

Items 1-5lbs is when it gets tricky.

For Fedex and UPS there is a Home Delivery charge of about $3 for all shipments that are delivered to a residential address.  This is what will usually make the rates with Fedex or UPS a lot higher than USPS Priority (on low weight packages)

The base rate - commercial address for shipping zone 1, 1lb with Fedex is $6.65, with USPS it's $5.05

With Fedex or UPS the rate increased much less per additional lb

Shipping Insurance with Fedex/UPS is a lot cheaper than USPS. This will be a key factor on deciding when to use USPS over Fedex

Direct Signature Requirement comes standard with $300 of USPS Insurance, and $500 of Fedex insurance

•°•°For Decently priced USPS labels see this post  Or this updated 8/2/21.•°•°

Latest 1/10/22 the best labels so far.
For insane rates.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=28357.msg2538377#msg2538377

Q: Under 1lb what is the best service to use?
Typically USPS Priority Mail

Q: What is flat rate? When will it give you the best price?
Flat Rate is a specific size box that does not have a weight limit, and has the same rate for most of USA. Usually this will be the cheapest when shipping to the farthest zone.

Do all companys offer flat rate?
USPS has the best flat rate service. Fedex offers "One Rate" but that will only be a savings on Express shipments. If you have discounted rates with Fedex, the "One Rates" will not be cheaper, unless the box is heavy.

Q: If you don't have a shipping scale available, what would be the best website to find out the weight of a specific product?
Amazon has the shipping weight for most items. Add an additional lb or 2 for the weight of the box.

Q:When shipping to an apt building, will the package gets left in the hallway of by the recipients door?
A:It depends on the delivery driver. I would recommend requiring a signature when shipping to an apartment so that it will not get left outside.

Q:If USPS loses a package that wasn't insured, has tracking code. Can I get money from them?
A:$100 of insurance is included in Priority Mail Express service.
$50 insurance is included in Priority Mail service.
https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-and-extra-services.htm

Q:What Carrier is the cheapest to send packages 1LB - 5LB NY to Canada?
USPS Priority likely will be the cheapest. If you have discounted rates with Fedex or UPS they may be cheaper.

Q:Items that I am shipping that the item is packaged in a box; is it necessary to put it in a shipping box or a shipping bag is good enough?
A:Depends what you are shipping. A bag is fine for items that wont get damaged in a bag. I use a bag all the time for such items.

I buy small boxes at Uline, its about $0.30 for a 7x4x4 - which in dimensional weight its 1lb.

You could also consider bubble envelopes ...

Q:How well priced is amazon shipping?
For having inventory shipped to Amazon using their UPS account, by far that is the cheapest option. For having an item shipped to a customer using Amazons shipping rates, they are not the best rates. If you ship enough to get discounted rates with UPS of Fedex you will be bettor off using your own account.

Q: How much does it cost for UPS Pickup?
UPS charges $22 for weekly pickups - if you are not shipping with your own UPS account (e.g. Amazons account) If you ship with your own account at least $75 weekly then the fee is $11.
It is about the same rates with Fedex.

How Much is pickup for one package?

Q: How can I get around it? Flag down a driver
Flagging a driver down not necessarily is the best way around the daily pickup fee. If you are shipping daily for the convenience it should be worth to have a daily pickup.
With Fedex if you do not have an daily pickup and give the packages to a driver you will be charged $3 per box.
Additionaly many drivers do not like accepting packages from people that do not have a daily pickup, as they have to save room on their truck for their daily pickup customers.

Q: What Are the flat rate sizes?
« Last edited by myi on January 10, 2022, 02:13:34 AM »

Author Topic: **Shipping Master Thread** What service To Use When  (Read 203799 times)

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Re: **Shipping Master Thread** What service To Use When
« Reply #380 on: September 18, 2017, 01:10:30 PM »
Not sure through paypal shipping.
But you can put the label back in the printer.
Thanks! I just figured out that I had to tell it not to print instructions with each label, so that the second label stays blank.

Do you know the answer to my other question?
Is there a way to set the senders name? When editing an order I see I can choose the address, but I don't see where I can put in the name of the sender.
It uses the name that the paypal account is under, but I want to use a business name.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #381 on: September 18, 2017, 01:51:59 PM »
Thanks! I just figured out that I had to tell it not to print instructions with each label, so that the second label stays blank.

Do you know the answer to my other question?It uses the name that the paypal account is under, but I want to use a business name.
I have even tried to edit my name while sending a package, but could not edit it.
 Seems like the info listed on your paypal account is what's used, see if you can add another address onto your account as that will give you maybe another address to ship from? But don't know if you can even add a 2nd address.
 If you figure it out please keep me posted, I wanted to know that as well.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 18, 2017, 03:41:30 PM »
Is there a way to set the senders name? When editing an order I see I can choose the address, but I don't see where I can put in the name of the sender.
The Ships From Addresses are pre-loaded with addresses from your main account settings.  You basically want to use your client's address as the Ships From Address and yours as the Ships To address, right? Then you'd have to add client's address into your PayPal account Profile.

To change your Ship From address for labels created using PayPal MultiOrder Shipping, follow these steps:

Go to the PayPal website and log in to your account.
Click the "PayPal MultiOrder Shipping" link on the Account Overview page. The MultiOrder Shipping page opens in a new window.
Click "Edit" in the top toolbar and a drop-down menu appears.
Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
Click "Ship From Information."
Select the correct Ship From address.
Check the box "Send email notification to recipient" if you would like to let the recipient know the Ship From address has changed.
Click "Apply."
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 18, 2017, 03:50:09 PM »
found one last way to change the name to the business name, you would have to upgrade to a business accnt and seems you have the option to change the shipping address each time.
 Can't verify that it works but this is what I seem to have seen what others have done.
(if it does work, definitely worth it to make another account and use for the business needs when printing labels and having the ease of changing the names.

Seems to be a common problem, with a simple google search all these answers came up.
 Feel free to the search yourself.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #384 on: September 19, 2017, 10:17:07 AM »
So the address is good, it's just the business name that needs to be changed. I was planning on making a new paypal account for it for next time. I'll check out business accounts too - thanks!

Do you know if there are any restrictions regarding having multiple business accounts for multiple businesses?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 25, 2017, 12:51:16 AM »
If i'm sending a $500 package with UPS, and I insure it for $500, why should I bother to pay another $5 or so for signature required?

Am I not covered anyhow with the insurance?

Thanks!
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline ludmila

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #386 on: September 25, 2017, 10:38:14 AM »
If i'm sending a $500 package with UPS, and I insure it for $500, why should I bother to pay another $5 or so for signature required?

Am I not covered anyhow with the insurance?

Thanks!
Yes, no need to pay the $5 for signature required, with insurance you are covered. I have a UPS account , and signature required is free even without insurance.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 25, 2017, 02:45:26 PM »
Yes, no need to pay the $5 for signature required, with insurance you are covered. I have a UPS account , and signature required is free even without insurance.
Thanks!

― Aristotle

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 11, 2017, 04:17:13 PM »
Shipped 2 packages worth $900 each, UPS lost them both.

They are refusing to pay more than $100 each I did not purchase insurance on them.

Any recourse?

― Aristotle

Offline sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 11, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »
Shipped 2 packages worth $900 each, UPS lost them both.

They are refusing to pay more than $100 each I did not purchase insurance on them.

Any recourse?

Sorry for you loss. Nothing you can do.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: October 11, 2017, 05:55:35 PM »
Sorry for you loss. Nothing you can do.
wow, I cant claim negligence and sue? Is there anything further I can do to try to have them find the package?

― Aristotle

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 11, 2017, 10:22:00 PM »
wow, I cant claim negligence and sue? Is there anything further I can do to try to have them find the package?
Unfortunately nothing you can do if you did not purchase insurance, $100 is their max compensation,I had a close monetary loss to yours although I did purchase insurance, it was for a gold coin ,and i never bothered to check what is not  covered under their insurance, i found out precious metals were not covered.  You might still get lucky and they'll find your boxes, both FEDEX and UPS lost shipments for my business during the years and they found most of them days later, good luck.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 14, 2017, 11:30:54 PM »
Unfortunately nothing you can do if you did not purchase insurance, $100 is their max compensation,I had a close monetary loss to yours although I did purchase insurance, it was for a gold coin ,and i never bothered to check what is not  covered under their insurance, i found out precious metals were not covered.  You might still get lucky and they'll find your boxes, both FEDEX and UPS lost shipments for my business during the years and they found most of them days later, good luck.
Wow, thats crazy.

I'm sorry for your loss.

These were lost about 2 months ago...

When they found yours, it was that much later?

― Aristotle

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 14, 2017, 11:56:07 PM »
Wow, thats crazy.

I'm sorry for your loss.

These were lost about 2 months ago...

When they found yours, it was that much later?
Thank you. The ones found were within a week max, I learned that when it is  over a week it is usually bad news.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 14, 2017, 11:57:40 PM »
Thank you. The ones found were within a week max, I learned that when it is  over a week it is usually bad news.
Uh oh...

We are a little past a week here:(

― Aristotle

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 09, 2018, 11:32:10 PM »
So, on that past UPS claim had to eat it:(

UPS after fighting and fighting only paid out $100 per package.. fun..

now, fast forward a few months, and obviously I ship nothing not full insured.

Shipped 2 packages fully insured each for 15k. About 2k per package  came damaged, 2k lost. 

Packages came to receiver looking like they had been somewhat destroyed.

How big of a battle is this going to be?

― Aristotle

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 02, 2018, 07:37:02 PM »
I cant figure out how this guy does it.

There is a guy on Fiverr ( the site where you can get digital services for $5..I have used it since it started and its amazing, as long as you know who to use and how to use it, it could save you a ton in various business costs.)

Anyhow there is a guy that sells USPS Priority labels. https://www.fiverr.com/hooplah123/provide-a-usps-priority-5lb-shipping-label?context&context_referrer=search_gigs&context_type=auto&pckg_id=1&pos=2&ref_ctx_id=e8f3fde8-785c-4fd0-b479-4b9b8027601d&funnel=38ce495d-d800-4693-80cd-3f19b521510e

For what I ship it's to costly for the prepaid (if it fits it ships) we use our own packaging and it is 4lbs and is dependent on distance, so depending on where shipped it can be $12-$20.

Somehow this guy generated a label that when I brought to the post office coded as a full $27ish priority. The label is commercial rate and the guy said when I asked how he is able to offer this, he says it is a commercial account.

No commercial rates (even the actual commercial rates that one gets when shipping 50k+ packages) seem to be able to offer this.

How do you think the guy does this? Because it seems fishy (I like to do everything clean and legit) I have not used him since.
Seems like he stopped with the $5 labels moved on to bigger labels.

Online hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 02, 2018, 08:03:35 PM »
Shipped a package i sold on Ebay and the wrong priority mail label printed. Sent it out and it was returned to me. Difference between first label and second label was $.70 any way I can get a refund? One was for an envelope one was for a package.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 02, 2018, 08:09:51 PM »
Shipped a package i sold on Ebay and the wrong priority mail label printed. Sent it out and it was returned to me. Difference between first label and second label was $.70 any way I can get a refund? One was for an envelope one was for a package.
Dispute the first shipping charge or difference on PayPal with an explanation and you should be fine.

Online hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 02, 2018, 08:13:53 PM »
Dispute the first shipping charge or difference on PayPal with an explanation and you should be fine.
Ah forgot paypal angle. Thanks.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.