Topic Wiki

Shipping Domestic

WeightUSPSUPSFedEx
13oz and UnderItems under 13oz are usually able to be shipped USPS First Class Mail. By far this is the cheapest option.
Weekly Pickup CostUPS charges $22 for weekly pickups - if you are not shipping with your own UPS account (e.g. Amazons account) If you ship with your own account at least $75 weekly then the fee is $11.It is about the same rates as UPS.
Who Pays When Refusing a packageNo oneShipperShipper
Ship to a PO box?YesNoNo

Need to ship a package with tracking?
Login to paypal and then click this link https://www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create/
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_bulk-ship

Knowing which shipping service to use and when could be tricky. It depends on items weight, how fast needed to be delivered, contents value.

Here are 2 free tools I found that can answer many of the pricing questions on this thread:
1. Fitshipper is for when you know the delivery address, size & weight.    2. Fitshipper for listings is when you are not your sure of the destination (eBay etc.).

Items 1-5lbs is when it gets tricky.

For Fedex and UPS there is a Home Delivery charge of about $3 for all shipments that are delivered to a residential address.  This is what will usually make the rates with Fedex or UPS a lot higher than USPS Priority (on low weight packages)

The base rate - commercial address for shipping zone 1, 1lb with Fedex is $6.65, with USPS it's $5.05

With Fedex or UPS the rate increased much less per additional lb

Shipping Insurance with Fedex/UPS is a lot cheaper than USPS. This will be a key factor on deciding when to use USPS over Fedex

Direct Signature Requirement comes standard with $300 of USPS Insurance, and $500 of Fedex insurance

•°•°For Decently priced USPS labels see this post  Or this updated 8/2/21.•°•°

Latest 1/10/22 the best labels so far.
For insane rates.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=28357.msg2538377#msg2538377

Q: Under 1lb what is the best service to use?
Typically USPS Priority Mail

Q: What is flat rate? When will it give you the best price?
Flat Rate is a specific size box that does not have a weight limit, and has the same rate for most of USA. Usually this will be the cheapest when shipping to the farthest zone.

Do all companys offer flat rate?
USPS has the best flat rate service. Fedex offers "One Rate" but that will only be a savings on Express shipments. If you have discounted rates with Fedex, the "One Rates" will not be cheaper, unless the box is heavy.

Q: If you don't have a shipping scale available, what would be the best website to find out the weight of a specific product?
Amazon has the shipping weight for most items. Add an additional lb or 2 for the weight of the box.

Q:When shipping to an apt building, will the package gets left in the hallway of by the recipients door?
A:It depends on the delivery driver. I would recommend requiring a signature when shipping to an apartment so that it will not get left outside.

Q:If USPS loses a package that wasn't insured, has tracking code. Can I get money from them?
A:$100 of insurance is included in Priority Mail Express service.
$50 insurance is included in Priority Mail service.
https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-and-extra-services.htm

Q:What Carrier is the cheapest to send packages 1LB - 5LB NY to Canada?
USPS Priority likely will be the cheapest. If you have discounted rates with Fedex or UPS they may be cheaper.

Q:Items that I am shipping that the item is packaged in a box; is it necessary to put it in a shipping box or a shipping bag is good enough?
A:Depends what you are shipping. A bag is fine for items that wont get damaged in a bag. I use a bag all the time for such items.

I buy small boxes at Uline, its about $0.30 for a 7x4x4 - which in dimensional weight its 1lb.

You could also consider bubble envelopes ...

Q:How well priced is amazon shipping?
For having inventory shipped to Amazon using their UPS account, by far that is the cheapest option. For having an item shipped to a customer using Amazons shipping rates, they are not the best rates. If you ship enough to get discounted rates with UPS of Fedex you will be bettor off using your own account.

Q: How much does it cost for UPS Pickup?
UPS charges $22 for weekly pickups - if you are not shipping with your own UPS account (e.g. Amazons account) If you ship with your own account at least $75 weekly then the fee is $11.
It is about the same rates with Fedex.

How Much is pickup for one package?

Q: How can I get around it? Flag down a driver
Flagging a driver down not necessarily is the best way around the daily pickup fee. If you are shipping daily for the convenience it should be worth to have a daily pickup.
With Fedex if you do not have an daily pickup and give the packages to a driver you will be charged $3 per box.
Additionaly many drivers do not like accepting packages from people that do not have a daily pickup, as they have to save room on their truck for their daily pickup customers.

Q: What Are the flat rate sizes?
« Last edited by myi on January 10, 2022, 02:13:34 AM »

Author Topic: **Shipping Master Thread** What service To Use When  (Read 203719 times)

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: **Shipping Master Thread** What service To Use When
« Reply #340 on: July 11, 2017, 05:11:37 PM »
Shipping something to a friend in Chile.
The box is about the size of a large book.
Weighs 4.9 lb.

What's my best option?
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Bh101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 12, 2017, 04:13:48 PM »
Shipping something to a friend in Chile.
The box is about the size of a large book.
Weighs 4.9 lb.

What's my best option?
have you priced it out yet?

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 12, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »
It took me a while to find a site that would help me price it out.
USPS $58.76
Everyone else, way more. (don't recall specifics)
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #343 on: July 28, 2017, 04:50:21 PM »
I assume using media mail for an item which is not would be gezel?

To ship a package from Brooklyn to Lakewood weighing 1.5lb would cost around $6 cheapest using usps ?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Tomorrow

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 29, 2017, 03:03:53 PM »
I assume using media mail for an item which is not would be gezel?

To ship a package from Brooklyn to Lakewood weighing 1.5lb would cost around $6 cheapest using usps ?
I've had a media mail package open and returned because it didn't fit into their rules of media mail.
Sorry if I ask so many questions, but life is short and there is so much to learn! Let's help each other be great!

Offline mrprez27

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: July 29, 2017, 10:04:59 PM »
I cant figure out how this guy does it.

There is a guy on Fiverr ( the site where you can get digital services for $5..I have used it since it started and its amazing, as long as you know who to use and how to use it, it could save you a ton in various business costs.)

Anyhow there is a guy that sells USPS Priority labels. https://www.fiverr.com/hooplah123/provide-a-usps-priority-5lb-shipping-label?context&context_referrer=search_gigs&context_type=auto&pckg_id=1&pos=2&ref_ctx_id=e8f3fde8-785c-4fd0-b479-4b9b8027601d&funnel=38ce495d-d800-4693-80cd-3f19b521510e

For what I ship it's to costly for the prepaid (if it fits it ships) we use our own packaging and it is 4lbs and is dependent on distance, so depending on where shipped it can be $12-$20.

Somehow this guy generated a label that when I brought to the post office coded as a full $27ish priority. The label is commercial rate and the guy said when I asked how he is able to offer this, he says it is a commercial account.

No commercial rates (even the actual commercial rates that one gets when shipping 50k+ packages) seem to be able to offer this.

How do you think the guy does this? Because it seems fishy (I like to do everything clean and legit) I have not used him since.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 29, 2017, 10:13:02 PM »
I've had a media mail package open and returned because it didn't fit into their rules of media mail.
That's always a risk, assuming your shipping something comparable to media and not some liquids or the other.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 29, 2017, 10:16:29 PM »

There is a guy on Fiverr ( the site where you can get digital services for $5..I have used it since it started and its amazing, as long as you know who to use and how to use it, it could save you a ton in various business costs.)

Anyhow there is a guy that sells USPS Priority labels. https://www.fiverr.com/hooplah123/provide-a-usps-priority-5lb-shipping-label?context&context_referrer=search_gigs&context_type=auto&pckg_id=1&pos=2&ref_ctx_id=e8f3fde8-785c-4fd0-b479-4b9b8027601d&funnel=38ce495d-d800-4693-80cd-3f19b521510e

For what I ship it's to costly for the prepaid (if it fits it ships) we use our own packaging and it is 4lbs and is dependent on distance, so depending on where shipped it can be $12-$20.

Somehow this guy generated a label that when I brought to the post office coded as a full $27ish priority. The label is commercial rate and the guy said when I asked how he is able to offer this, he says it is a commercial account.

No commercial rates (even the actual commercial rates that one gets when shipping 50k+ packages) seem to be able to offer this.

How do you think the guy does this? Because it seems fishy (I like to do everything clean and legit) I have not used him since.
You sure you were able to see all the special rates,im sure you can get an inside rate besides for what your seeing online.

i have the ability to ship overnight fedex try to find me the cheapest rate for overnight/next day shipping, and we will see if you see the rates im paying per package.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 29, 2017, 10:26:34 PM »

Or just ship it out your self using PayPal MultiOrder Shipping and get some decent pricing, you can get for the same 7 pound package for 6-7$ priority mail.

Offline mrprez27

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 30, 2017, 11:53:01 PM »
Or just ship it out your self using PayPal MultiOrder Shipping and get some decent pricing, you can get for the same 7 pound package for 6-7$ priority mail.

If i ship this - a shovel 50  in. x 6  in. x 3  in. 6lbs from NY to LA it is $23 - with that label I brought to post office, they weighed it and accepted the label that cost me $5. How was that guy abel to do it.

Offline mrprez27

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 30, 2017, 11:54:41 PM »
You sure you were able to see all the special rates,im sure you can get an inside rate besides for what your seeing online.

i have the ability to ship overnight fedex try to find me the cheapest rate for overnight/next day shipping, and we will see if you see the rates im paying per package.

Fedex is a private company and is able to dole our pricing to different customers if you work at a fedex kinkos you even get express for almost nothing. What would your rate be for a package 50  in. x 6  in. x 3  in. 6lbs from NY to LA.

The USPS is a govt/privatish agency and cant  be secretive about pricing, it doesnt seem plausible that this guy is part of some magical program.

Offline ydbe

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: daf yomi
« Reply #351 on: July 31, 2017, 12:40:17 AM »
If i ship this - a shovel 50  in. x 6  in. x 3  in. 6lbs from NY to LA it is $23 - with that label I brought to post office, they weighed it and accepted the label that cost me $5. How was that guy abel to do it.

I have shipped hockey sticks cross country with larger dimensions than you are giving. I used priority mail 2-3 day service and paid less than $23. Maybe it was because I used ebay /PayPal?

Online yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 31, 2017, 07:48:26 AM »

7lb package costs more than $6-7 on average. The cheapest is actually $7.60 from NY to NY and goes up to over $25 when it's to the west coast.
Visibly Jewish

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 31, 2017, 07:51:02 AM »
I have shipped hockey sticks cross country with larger dimensions than you are giving. I used priority mail 2-3 day service and paid less than $23. Maybe it was because I used ebay /PayPal?

eBay and PayPal have better rates than USPS retail.
Also your hockey stick should weigh less than 6lb.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #354 on: July 31, 2017, 01:05:51 PM »

Thanks for this great tip!

Adding to wiki
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 31, 2017, 10:42:20 PM »
7lb package costs more than $6-7 on average. The cheapest is actually $7.60 from NY to NY and goes up to over $25 when it's to the west coast.
The dimensions of the box is what raises the cost of the shipping, it could be 25x10x10 or the like from ny to nj for around $7.

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 01, 2017, 12:38:55 AM »
The dimensions of the box is what raises the cost of the shipping, it could be 25x10x10 or the like from ny to nj for around $7.

Wrong. $7.60 is the lowest price for a 7lb priority mail (excluding flat rate) package no matter how small. Ship a large box and you'll pay more than $7.60 even NY - NJ.
Visibly Jewish

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 01, 2017, 01:08:52 AM »
Wrong. $7.60 is the lowest price for a 7lb priority mail (excluding flat rate) package no matter how small. Ship a large box and you'll pay more than $7.60 even NY - NJ.
Yure right don't see anything cheaper then 7.60

From ny-nj

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 01, 2017, 10:16:20 AM »
firstchoiceship.com

Jewish company. They offer through UPS $10 US to Canada for 1lb, each additional pound is another 1$.

I believe you have to have a commercial account.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 01, 2017, 01:20:38 PM »
firstchoiceship.com

Jewish company. They offer through UPS $10 US to Canada for 1lb, each additional pound is another 1$.

I believe you have to have a commercial account.
Pretty good prices.