Topic Wiki

Shipping Domestic

WeightUSPSUPSFedEx
13oz and UnderItems under 13oz are usually able to be shipped USPS First Class Mail. By far this is the cheapest option.
Weekly Pickup CostUPS charges $22 for weekly pickups - if you are not shipping with your own UPS account (e.g. Amazons account) If you ship with your own account at least $75 weekly then the fee is $11.It is about the same rates as UPS.
Who Pays When Refusing a packageNo oneShipperShipper
Ship to a PO box?YesNoNo

Need to ship a package with tracking?
Login to paypal and then click this link https://www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create/
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_bulk-ship

Knowing which shipping service to use and when could be tricky. It depends on items weight, how fast needed to be delivered, contents value.

Here are 2 free tools I found that can answer many of the pricing questions on this thread:
1. Fitshipper is for when you know the delivery address, size & weight.    2. Fitshipper for listings is when you are not your sure of the destination (eBay etc.).

Items 1-5lbs is when it gets tricky.

For Fedex and UPS there is a Home Delivery charge of about $3 for all shipments that are delivered to a residential address.  This is what will usually make the rates with Fedex or UPS a lot higher than USPS Priority (on low weight packages)

The base rate - commercial address for shipping zone 1, 1lb with Fedex is $6.65, with USPS it's $5.05

With Fedex or UPS the rate increased much less per additional lb

Shipping Insurance with Fedex/UPS is a lot cheaper than USPS. This will be a key factor on deciding when to use USPS over Fedex

Direct Signature Requirement comes standard with $300 of USPS Insurance, and $500 of Fedex insurance

•°•°For Decently priced USPS labels see this post  Or this updated 8/2/21.•°•°

Latest 1/10/22 the best labels so far.
For insane rates.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=28357.msg2538377#msg2538377

Q: Under 1lb what is the best service to use?
Typically USPS Priority Mail

Q: What is flat rate? When will it give you the best price?
Flat Rate is a specific size box that does not have a weight limit, and has the same rate for most of USA. Usually this will be the cheapest when shipping to the farthest zone.

Do all companys offer flat rate?
USPS has the best flat rate service. Fedex offers "One Rate" but that will only be a savings on Express shipments. If you have discounted rates with Fedex, the "One Rates" will not be cheaper, unless the box is heavy.

Q: If you don't have a shipping scale available, what would be the best website to find out the weight of a specific product?
Amazon has the shipping weight for most items. Add an additional lb or 2 for the weight of the box.

Q:When shipping to an apt building, will the package gets left in the hallway of by the recipients door?
A:It depends on the delivery driver. I would recommend requiring a signature when shipping to an apartment so that it will not get left outside.

Q:If USPS loses a package that wasn't insured, has tracking code. Can I get money from them?
A:$100 of insurance is included in Priority Mail Express service.
$50 insurance is included in Priority Mail service.
https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-and-extra-services.htm

Q:What Carrier is the cheapest to send packages 1LB - 5LB NY to Canada?
USPS Priority likely will be the cheapest. If you have discounted rates with Fedex or UPS they may be cheaper.

Q:Items that I am shipping that the item is packaged in a box; is it necessary to put it in a shipping box or a shipping bag is good enough?
A:Depends what you are shipping. A bag is fine for items that wont get damaged in a bag. I use a bag all the time for such items.

I buy small boxes at Uline, its about $0.30 for a 7x4x4 - which in dimensional weight its 1lb.

You could also consider bubble envelopes ...

Q:How well priced is amazon shipping?
For having inventory shipped to Amazon using their UPS account, by far that is the cheapest option. For having an item shipped to a customer using Amazons shipping rates, they are not the best rates. If you ship enough to get discounted rates with UPS of Fedex you will be bettor off using your own account.

Q: How much does it cost for UPS Pickup?
UPS charges $22 for weekly pickups - if you are not shipping with your own UPS account (e.g. Amazons account) If you ship with your own account at least $75 weekly then the fee is $11.
It is about the same rates with Fedex.

How Much is pickup for one package?

Q: How can I get around it? Flag down a driver
Flagging a driver down not necessarily is the best way around the daily pickup fee. If you are shipping daily for the convenience it should be worth to have a daily pickup.
With Fedex if you do not have an daily pickup and give the packages to a driver you will be charged $3 per box.
Additionaly many drivers do not like accepting packages from people that do not have a daily pickup, as they have to save room on their truck for their daily pickup customers.

Q: What Are the flat rate sizes?
« Last edited by myi on January 10, 2022, 02:13:34 AM »

Author Topic: **Shipping Master Thread** What service To Use When  (Read 203779 times)

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
Re: **Shipping Master Thread** What service To Use When
« Reply #420 on: May 23, 2018, 08:44:08 PM »
You know the guy?
  Nope don't know him from a hole in the wall aside for purchasing a label from him yesterday.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline ydbe

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: daf yomi
« Reply #421 on: May 25, 2018, 02:05:30 AM »
Please update the thread on whether you had any problems with the new cheap label guys. I saw these guys had these offers recently, and I would've saved alot if I had used them. But the reviews were few & my package too expensive to risk.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #422 on: May 25, 2018, 03:11:33 AM »
Please update the thread on whether you had any problems with the new cheap label guys. I saw these guys had these offers recently, and I would've saved alot if I had used them. But the reviews were few & my package too expensive to risk.
  One of my packages are going out tomorrow or maybe after Shabbos, will try to report back here.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline EP123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 27, 2018, 11:20:26 AM »
For those that want some discount on their ups you can always use this link, it's officially for Amazon sellers but they don't really verify.

It's not best rates out there but it is a significant discount

https://www.ups.com/mrd/promodiscount?loc=en_US&promoCd=BLTBNQGJ7

Read the rate chart to understand the rates.

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #424 on: May 29, 2018, 12:26:17 AM »
For those that want some discount on their ups you can always use this link, it's officially for Amazon sellers but they don't really verify.

It's not best rates out there but it is a significant discount

https://www.ups.com/mrd/promodiscount?loc=en_US&promoCd=BLTBNQGJ7

Read the rate chart to understand the rates.
Thanks.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline EP123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 29, 2018, 07:28:30 PM »
Thanks.

Glad to help, did this offer discounts for you? It takes a few days to kick in

Offline Eliyohu

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 01, 2018, 02:40:10 PM »
  One of my packages are going out tomorrow or maybe after Shabbos, will try to report back here.
Any update on this?

Offline Eliyohu

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 01, 2018, 02:49:09 PM »
I'm trying to ship a few oversized packages.
2@ 57 lb
1@ 35 lb
Both '8 * '1 * '1.
Any suggestions would be appreciated?
Thanks

Offline mrprez27

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 18, 2018, 10:33:44 PM »
Wonder of this is real?
 Will try it out and report back.

https://www.fiverr.com/hiketheworld/provide-low-cost-fedex-priority-overnight-shipping-labels?

As well there's another seller for the USPS for $5.
https://www.fiverr.com/leklassique/make-usps-shipping-5lbs-weight-and-more?

http://www.fiverr.com/

the hike the world is unreal - i sent a massive box which would have cost 200 for 10:30 delivery at $15 and any express under 4lbs at $5 --- how is this guy doing it??? Is this kosher? Also someone said they did a reverse google search and the pics from a obituary - a reverse search pulled nothing for me

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 19, 2018, 03:52:44 PM »
the hike the world is unreal - i sent a massive box which would have cost 200 for 10:30 delivery at $15 and any express under 4lbs at $5 --- how is this guy doing it??? Is this kosher? Also someone said they did a reverse google search and the pics from a obituary - a reverse search pulled nothing for me
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/brandon-mills-obituary?pid=187295738&view=guestbook

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 20, 2018, 10:55:18 AM »
Thanks.
Does it remove the residential surcharge? I spoke to someone at ups who works for my region and they were able to give me better rates plus remove the residential surcharge...

Offline mrprez27

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 25, 2018, 03:40:21 AM »
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/brandon-mills-obituary?pid=187295738&view=guestbook
Neat find - do u use google reverse image? When I use google it cant pull up the image (says no other sizes found)

Offline mrprez27

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 22, 2018, 01:01:58 PM »
anyone figure out how this guy is offering this shipping?

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 23, 2018, 12:24:32 AM »
As the picture is of a dead college student , then it is definitely fraud, but the question is, is he pulling from a large corporate or are the labels fake?

Offline mrprez27

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 23, 2018, 01:09:17 AM »
As the picture is of a dead college student , then it is definitely fraud, but the question is, is he pulling from a large corporate or are the labels fake?

it could be he just pulled the photo b/c he didnt want to put a real pic....then again why use a random obituary why not any online pic.

The labels def arent fake - they scan perfectly and you cant forge labels like that. I also think they come up as full revenue.

He says he gets 'special rates' from an account he has had in his family for years. Is there any chance this is true...?

Accounts are easy to set up and don't require being charged for each label (people get billed) so its possible he makes fraud accounts and lets them rack up charges until Fedex closes it for non-payment?

Question is why the weird parameters (4lb up to 20lb) also if one asked for a 4lb label and you sent even a 50lb they would pick it up but 'charge' the original account so if it really was his account how would he prevent all the surcharge billing fedex must be charging for people who didnt weight their packages.

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: July 23, 2018, 03:11:31 AM »
it could be he just pulled the photo b/c he didnt want to put a real pic....then again why use a random obituary why not any online pic.

The labels def arent fake - they scan perfectly and you cant forge labels like that. I also think they come up as full revenue.

He says he gets 'special rates' from an account he has had in his family for years. Is there any chance this is true...?

Accounts are easy to set up and don't require being charged for each label (people get billed) so its possible he makes fraud accounts and lets them rack up charges until Fedex closes it for non-payment?

Question is why the weird parameters (4lb up to 20lb) also if one asked for a 4lb label and you sent even a 50lb they would pick it up but 'charge' the original account so if it really was his account how would he prevent all the surcharge billing fedex must be charging for people who didn't weight their packages.
The rates are too low to be real, and if he had an account in the family with special rates , for him to make a profit it means his rates are still lower . So if the labels are not fake, the other 2 options you mentioned make sense, either he is using a large corp account or opening fake accounts.

Offline EP123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 02, 2018, 10:37:24 AM »

I may have stumbled onto how he does this scam. I got a label to fill an order for ebay, but ebay would not allow me to use the tracking number since it is already used by another user/order

This guy is probably making fedex labels somehow thru the ebay system, maybe he makes a fake transaction and then cancels it. Not sure how he is doing it but it seems to be related to ebay.

Seems to be a scam

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 02, 2018, 10:17:50 PM »
I may have stumbled onto how he does this scam. I got a label to fill an order for ebay, but ebay would not allow me to use the tracking number since it is already used by another user/order

This guy is probably making fedex labels somehow thru the ebay system, maybe he makes a fake transaction and then cancels it. Not sure how he is doing it but it seems to be related to ebay.

Seems to be a scam
Interesting, it is definitely fraud, he is probably selling a lot of these, looks like you might be right, if ebay caught it and for others there was no problem with Fedex, could be related to ebay.

Offline ydbe

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: daf yomi
« Reply #438 on: August 19, 2018, 10:01:18 PM »
It may very well be fake labels that work, but it seems like it wasn't limited to FedEx. I used a lot of labels from the guy who did USPS labels for cheap and they also seemed to good to be true. I wonder how he could do it too...

Offline EP123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 26, 2018, 09:59:43 PM »
Fiverr option is dead. There is some new guy but much more expensive