Author Topic: So I'm thinking about buying a bicycle...  (Read 7800 times)

Offline bem684

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
So I'm thinking about buying a bicycle...
« on: May 05, 2013, 10:22:05 AM »
I think I've only owned 3 bikes in my whole life.  I had one when I was a little kid.  Then I had a mountain bike from the time I was 14 until it was stolen in college.  After I got married a neighbor gave me a 1974 Schwinn Varisty that was sitting in his garage for 20+ years.  It was my first roadbike but the thing weighed 51 lbs, and I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building so I didn't want to shlep it up the stairs every day.  I gave it to a friend after a few months. 

NOW, I am married 5 1/2 years, living in Monsey (ir hakodesh!  and the hilliest place I've ever lived...), and I just started a full time job less than 3 miles from my apartment.  I think I've got an opportunity here to get in shape and save on gas :)  I am totally unfamiliar with the bike culture and I have no idea how to choose a bike.  Additionally I have the following concerns:

1.  How in the world do I choose a bike?!  There's a ton of choices.

2.  I'm going to be biking to shul and then to work.  This means I don't want to be sweaty/smelly after the bike ride.  What can I do to minimize this possibility? (I am not physically fit, although if I'm overweight it's not by more than 10 lbs).  Additionally, is it a crazy idea to bike all that in a white buttton shirt and dockers pants?  The alternative seems to be changing when I get to work but that means storing clothes at work and getting there earlier...

3.  I will occasionally need to carry stuff (such as my laptop or tallis bag).  Recommendations?

4.  Security - I'd rather not store the bike in my apartment, but there are some questionable people wandering through the grounds of my apartment complex throughout the year.  What's the best way to keep the bike (and the wheels, seat, etc) safe from would-be thieves, as well as inclement weather? (I don't have indoor storage but I probably could stash it under somebody's porch)

4.  Any other recommendations for safety, security, or comfort?

Thanks guys!

Offline ShmuliT

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 21
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm thinking about buying a bicycle...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 11:50:59 AM »
I would say look into a hybrid or a foldable bike. Get a good quality one which is made of good light materials. This will make it a lot easier to ride.

A hybrid is a cross between a mountain and a road bike. It's light and great for city riding.

Or there are some really good folding bikes out there. When u get to shul, home, work they fold in 20 sec and you can take them inside, they are small enough to keep under your desk. Having it inside is safer than any lock on the market.

About carrying items I prefer a backpack as any baskets or mounts and extra weight to the bike which makes it harder to ride.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 12:04:30 PM »
In general the narrow wheeled bikes are made for the road.  They are different than the bikes you're used to riding from when you were a kid but have a super smooth ride.

How tall are you btw?

I find a lot of guys are riding bikes that aren't the right size.  I like the bigger framed, bigger wheeled bikes. Makes riding a lot more fun.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 12:08:44 PM »
I'm roughly 5'8"

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »
How much are you looking to spend?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Sammy82

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 12:26:46 PM »
If u could come up with the $, it is def worth spending the $600+ dollars and get the bike from a good bike shop rather tab from a box store, even if you could spend only $200 there for a 'top of the line' bike.

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 12:34:39 PM »
How much are you looking to spend?

Well, I guess the most would be around $400-500.  Depends on what I can get for that kind of money vs adding a little bit more though.  I'd rather spend $250-300 if the difference between 300 and 400 isn't going to be a lot.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 01:59:23 PM »
Just a heads up: Schwinn has changed since you last owned one. They are now making wal mart quality bicycles. (they really should lose their TM protection, IMO)

Offline SamKey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 02:22:24 PM »
Just a heads up: Schwinn has changed since you last owned one. They are now making wal mart quality bicycles. (they really should lose their TM protection, IMO)
I've only done treks ... Never been disappointed. In brooklyn there is a great high end bike shop in sheapshead bay area that you can check out your options then if they're too expensive for you, you can search online. Great shop they  have a great warrantee  policy with tuneups and repairs and know their stuff
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 02:25:25 PM by SamKey »

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 06:53:01 PM »
I'm very happy with my Trek hybrid. Bought it in a shop on 2nd and 88th in Manhattan.

A folding bike is extremely practical, but it kinda looks like a clown bike to some ;).
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 08:04:28 PM »
I'd rather my bike look like it belongs to a clown than my abdomen, so I guess I wouldn't mind riding a folding bike hehe...

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 12:02:09 AM »
I'd rather my bike look like it belongs to a clown than my abdomen, so I guess I wouldn't mind riding a folding bike hehe...

;D

Offline Centurion

• View Profile
  • Programs: spg plat,avis pres ,hertz plat ,AAexcutime, delta plat,hilton gold, united
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 12:17:45 AM »
i saw a 20 inch one in brooklyn less that 600 i think the name was speedo 20 inch one
7th ave 46th street brooklyn
you can only make a first impression ONCE

Offline Centurion

• View Profile
  • Programs: spg plat,avis pres ,hertz plat ,AAexcutime, delta plat,hilton gold, united
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 12:18:59 AM »
i was looking for a good 26 inch bicycle for my brother his about 5 feet tall wants a fuji or raligh * not foldable but regular speed bike-- any ideas?
you can only make a first impression ONCE

Offline SamKey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 02:21:55 AM »
i was looking for a good 26 inch bicycle for my brother his about 5 feet tall wants a fuji or raligh * not foldable but regular speed bike-- any ideas?
In brooklyn there is a great high end bike shop in sheapshead bay area that you can check out your options then if they're too expensive for you, you can search online. Great shop they  have a great warrantee  policy with tuneups and repairs and know their stuff
High end not meaning for the rich rather for the serious

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 05:46:33 PM »
I did some research and this one looks great... the only problem is it's bright red lol.  I don't know how that will go over in Monsey:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067HJJRU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3CFE8KIJUOW5H

My friend from high school owns it and he loves it.  He commutes to work every day (he lives in Rochester) on this bike.  He's also an avid biker who's gone coast to coast on a roadbike so I tend to take his praise seriously.

Anyone else have a Dahon?

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 05:54:52 PM »
Anyone else have a Dahon?

I don't have one,  but I've done some research into them before buying my bike. They're supposed to be some of the best folding bikes out there.

Offline Ebaystores

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 07:45:17 PM »
As someone who bikes a lot (I am biking 400 miles from san diego to phoenix in june) I would say your best option is the hybrid. The thin tires are great for the roads and makes for a great commuter bike. Personally although I have never ridden a folding bike I would say that considering Monsey has hills you want something light and with lots of gears. And learn how to switch gears properly (good shifting means your regularly switching gears depending on speed / terrain versus choosing a gear and staying with it for the whole ride). You are better off buying a good bike used off craigslist then a walmart bike. However, make sure your bike fits well. I would suggest your first stop should be a bike shop, test some bikes, have them measure you for frame size etc...

As far as carrying stuff you have the choice of backpack or pannier bags. Personally I am not a fan of backpacks as while your sweating you dont want that on your back.

For security: Your best option is to keep it inside overnight but if thats not an option invest in a thick secure chain, when locking make sure you are going thru the body and both wheels. If leaving it exposed to the elements, I would suggest a rain cover to protect your investment.

As far as clothing I would suggest leave a spare change of clothing at work the first few times, but wear your regular clothes for the ride and see how you fare, some people sweat more, some people less.

Good luck with your riding, it may seem hard getting started, but youll look back and be happy you made the investment.
I am doing the first week of Bike 4 Friendship. http://sponsor.bike4friendship.org/mendy

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 08:36:23 PM »
...I would say your best option is the hybrid. The thin tires are great for the roads and makes for a great commuter bike. You are better off buying a good bike used off craigslist then a walmart bike.

After reading a bit online a hybrid seems like the best choice for my hilly riding situation, however I think a folding bike is my best choice for almost everything else (portability, security, can be brought inside so no need for rain cover, small enough to store in apartment). 

As far as carrying stuff you have the choice of backpack or pannier bags. Personally I am not a fan of backpacks as while your sweating you dont want that on your back.

As far as clothing I would suggest leave a spare change of clothing at work the first few times, but wear your regular clothes for the ride and see how you fare, some people sweat more, some people less.

I totally agree on the backpack thing.  As far as the clothing I'll probably try out riding on a weekend before I go to work.  I don't want to bother with changing at work if its not needed.

Good luck with your riding, it may seem hard getting started, but youll look back and be happy you made the investment.

Thanks!

Offline Ebaystores

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 09:36:53 PM »

I totally agree on the backpack thing.  As far as the clothing I'll probably try out riding on a weekend before I go to work.  I don't want to bother with changing at work if its not needed.

Thanks!

Good idea to try it out over the weekend, However, make sure you wear the same clothing that you will wear at work
I am doing the first week of Bike 4 Friendship. http://sponsor.bike4friendship.org/mendy