Topic Wiki

Copied From the Learn Photography Master Thread: Lesson 1

Choosing a camera: Point and Shoot vs. Mirrorless vs. DSLR

Before you even start thinking which camera model to buy, you have to decide something much more important: the type of camera. There are three main types of cameras on the market today, and they each offer some things the others don't. Let's take a quick at them and see what the differences are and why you might choose one over the other.

Point & Shoots (P&S): These are by far the most popular cameras out there. Usually extremely compact, they're all easy to use, relatively cheap, and deliver great images. The point & shoot ranges from tiny shirt-pocket cameras such as the Canon Elph series, to large superzooms (sometimes called all-in-ones or bridge cameras) such as the Panasonic FZ series, to 'advanced' P&Ss like the Canon G series or the $2800(!) Sony RX-1. All P&Ss have fixed (non-removable) lenses.

Point & Shoot pros:
--- Amazing selection: At the time of this writing, B&H has 328 cameras in stock listed under Point & Shoot. A basic Canon Elph-style camera usually has a 3-8x zoom lens, a 3" screen, 1080p video, image stabilization, and a million other features. Should you could choose a superzoom, you'd get a 24-50x zoom, manual controls, a viewfinder, and (usually) a hotshoe for flashes. Advanced P&Ss will give you even more control, better, larger sensors, and higher quality lenses. Want a camera your baby could drop into a bowl of cereal? There are currently 18 different shock and waterproof cameras [url=http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ipp=100&Ns=p_PRODUCT_SHORT_DESCR|0&ci=8612&N=4288586279+35+4052359761&srtclk=sort]available
. Want a screen that swivels? Built-in GPS? WiFi? Check, check, and check. One screen not enough, you want two of 'em? Check!
--- Cheap: Even a $100 P&S will give you better pictures than a $500 camera from 5 years ago. You do not need to spend a fortune to get amazing pictures.
--- Light and easy to carry: No excuses for not shlepping the camera. If fits into your shirt pocket, a purse, just about anywhere.
--- Great video: Most current cameras are capable of recording 1080p HD video, or at least 720p. Combined with ubiquitous image stabilization P&Ss are capable of outputting awesome video.
--- Easy to use: Most P&S will only have an Auto or P mode, although some advanced or superzoom models will have full manual control. In Auto mode all you have to do is press the button. Some cameras even have an 'intelligent' auto feature where it could detect if you're shooting a flower, a portrait, etc. and adjust itself accordingly. This actually works pretty well on most cameras. In P mode you get a bit more control (you could turn the flash off, adjust the picture brighter or darker, etc.), but the camera still handles most of the decisions making for you.

Point & Shoot Cons:
--- Image quality relative to mirrorless and DSLRs: Yes, P&Ss will give you great picture quality - when situations are ideal. But if you plan to be shooting a lot in darker situations (indoors, your kids' school play) you will notice a considerable difference in quality compared to the other two. Sharpness will also not be as good as the others - the combination of a small physical lens, a small sensor, and over-zealous noise reduction (more on all of these later) is not a recipe for razor-sharp photos. These factors will be much less of an issue with advanced cameras such as the Canon G15, although a mirrorless or DSLR will still be far better.
--- Hard or impossible to achieve certain effects: You know that portrait look where the entire background is just blurred into creamy nothingness? That's one of the hardest things to create with a P&S (and conversely one of the easiest things to do with an SLR/mirrorless). Later on I'll show you some techniques to force this effect out of a P&S (to a degree), but the physics are simply not in your favor.
--- Speed: Compared to a DSLR, the P&S is practically a turtle. It takes a few seconds to turn on, zooming takes time, every setting change takes time. Most importantly though, is the speed at which the camera takes the picture. While a DSLR focuses almost instantly, a P&S could take a second or two. Once the image is in focus, there is a maddening delay called shutter lag, which is the time between you pressing the shutter button and the camera actually taking the picture. Between focusing and shutter lag, it could sometimes take 3 or more seconds to get your shoot, at which point the moment may be long gone. Later on we'll discuss some techniques for speeding this process up, but it'll still take far longer than a DSLR.
--- Not much control: The flip side to the P&S's ease of use it its lack of control. Want to lower your flash power so that people don't have that 'deer in headlights' look? Tough noogies. Want to change your aperture? Your shutter speed? Ain't happenin'. Of course some cameras do let you change all that, but a) they're in the minority by far, and b) since these are secondary features, you'll probably have to dig through 6 menu pages every time you want to make a change.
--- Limited expandability: A P&S is a closed system. Want a longer or wider lens? Want to use filters? No dice on most cameras. This is also a big issue if you ever want to dabble in lighting - it'll be quite difficult with a P&S.

DSLRs: The big, black, "professional" looking cameras. Big, heavy, and (relatively) expensive, these have interchangeable lenses and optical viewfinders. The big players are Canon and Nikon, with Sony and Pentax having a small but dedicated market share. A typical 'starter' DSLR will have a 18 (Canon) or 24 (Nikon) megapixel sensor, come with an 18-55mm lens, and have actual buttons for only the most important tasks. As you move up through the lineup, you'll get more direct buttons and knobs, status LCDs, better focusing/metering systems, more lens support, metal or magnesium bodies, weather sealing, wireless flash control, higher frame-per-second rates, and more. You also get better kit lenses (that's the lens that comes with the camera) as you move up, and at a certain level (usually the third camera in the lineup) you'll also be able to buy the camera body by itself without any lens.

DSLR pros:
--- Image quality: This is the number one benefit of the DSLR - even the cheapest camera and lens combination will give you better pictures that any point and shoot, even if the P&S costs much more. (B&H currently lists 3 DSLR kits (camera and lens) for $450 - that's cheaper than some P&Ss.) Looking at pictures of a P&S and a DSLR side by side, you'll be blown away by the difference in sharpness, color, and dynamic range (explained later) of the DSLR. When it comes to low light, there's no contest; the DSLR wins hand down.
--- Control: In a DLSR you have control over every single shooting parameter. There are no limits to what you could create; everything's at your beck and call. Flash power, exposure, color, and most importantly, RAW shooting. (I'll get into far more detail on that last thing later.)
--- Special effects: Out of focus backgrounds? Easy peasy. Long exposures? Timelapse? You bet.
--- System expandability: DSLRs are sometimes called 'system cameras'. This is due to the fact that unlike P&Ss, a DSLR is not just a camera; it's at the heart of an entire system. Each brand has dozens of lenses available, plus many more from third-party lens manufacturers. You could get flashes, transmitters, remotes, and many other goodies and they will all work seamlessly and communicate properly to one another. BTW, this is why you should choose your first SLR very carefully: you're probably buying into a system. First you get a camera and lens, then another lens, then maybe another lens or a flash, and then the a new camera comes out so you buy that. It's quite the pain to switch to a different brand once you're bought in to the system.
--- Viewfinder: By definition, a DSLR is a single lens reflex camera; what that means is that inside the camera just behind the lens mount there's a mirror, which projects the image from the lens into a prism, which in turn shows up in the viewfinder. The big advantage of this is that when you look through the viewfinder you're actually looking through lens, and as such are seeing exactly what the lens sees. This gives you an extremely accurate and life-like view, which makes it easy to compose your shots properly. A viewfinder also lets you use the camera in bright light without worrying about not being able to see the screen.
--- Speed: A DSLR is ready to shoot almost instantly after being turned on. No matter where you are, be it a menu or playing back you pictures, a slight tap of the shutter button and the camera is instantly ready to shoot. Focus is nearly instantaneous, and shutter lag is pretty much a non-issue. Another speed aspect is continuous shooting - holding down the shutter button while the camera rattles off picture after picture. An entry-level camera  could easily do around 4.5fps (frames per second), while higher level cameras could do 7 or 8 (or 12, if you count the $6800 Canon 1D X).

DSLR cons:
--- Size and weight: There's no getting around it: DSLRs are big and bulky, especially if you're carrying more than one lens.
--- Price: DSLRs start at about $450, and go way up. One of the most common cameras, the Canon T4i, will set you back about a grand. And then you want to buy another lens. And another one. And another one... :D
--- Video: DSLR video is a really weird situation. On the one hand the quality is INSANE. Just look on Vimeo and see what people have been doing with the Canon 5DMk2 and Mk3 and you'll see what I mean. On the other hand, if you look at the behind the scenes video of one of those, you'll see that the camera is mounted on a rig costing $10K or more. The rig stabilizes the camera and provides support for the focus controls, the zoom controls, the sound system, and many other things. Why is all this necessary? Very simple - because the camera does a horrible job at all this if left to it's own devices. Focusing during video is horrible, especially if anything's moving through the scene. What this means is that if you're buying an SLR and are planning on taking videos of your kids running around in the park, you will be sorely disappointed - nothing will be in focus half the time, and when the camera finally does achieve focus, the built-in mike will have picked up every grind and whirr of the lens as it moved back and forth. Canon has made some progress on eliminating these issues with their new STM lenses, but for now that's only two cameras and two lenses, and even that isn't perfect.

Mirrorless: Known by many different names (ILCs and EVILs for example), the industry has seemed to settle on Mirrorless lately. This was the brainchild of a joint venture between Olympus and Panasonic, and was aimed on creating an interchangeable-lens camera in with a P&S body and DSLR-like image quality, and has been wildly successful. Olympus and Panasonic are still the major players with their Micro 4/3s system, followed by Sony with their NEX line. Many others have tried to take over market share from the big 3, but have been largely unsuccessful mainly due to inferior products. Nikon 1, Canon, M, and Samsung NX are examples of fairly unpopular systems.

Most mirrorless cameras have a P&S form-factor, albeit somewhat larger. With the exception of Olympus and Panasonic, the lenses are not interchangeable between brands, but adapters are available to convert practically any DSLR (or old rangefinder camera) lens to just about every system. Most adapters will not autofocus the lens, so it's not exactly a perfect solution.

Mirrorless pros:
--- Size and weight: This is the main draw for most people. While not exactly pocket sized once a lens is in place, it it still a fairly compact kit and could be carried in a purse with ease. It's more like a large P&S than a small DSLR.
--- Price: Generally cheaper than a DSLR of a similar level. The Panasonics and Olympus (Olympusus? Olympi? ??? ) especially seem to be on sale more often than not.
--- Image quality: About as good as an SLR, simple as that.
--- Expandability: Like DSLRs, these cameras are part of a system. In the last couple of months more and more third parties have started to make lenses too. Micro 4/3s is a much more robust system then Sony NEX though, with many more lenses available.
--- Video: Video on mirrorless cameras is insanely fantastic. Similar in quality to an SLR, but with the ease of use of a P&S. It focuses quickly, perfectly, and fairly quietly.

Mirrorless cons:
--- Lenses: Far smaller selection than SLRs, although to be fair most important lenses are covered.
--- Image quality: A DSLR will still have slightly better image quality, especially in low light scenarios.
--- Viewfinders: Most don’t have viewfinders at all, which make it harder to use in low light. Some of those have axillary finders you could out in the hotshoe (usually at exorbitant prices or some reason), but these are just to give you a general idea of what the camera is seeing.
--- Batteries: Uses batteries like a P&S (200-400 shots), while a DSLR usually gets around 2000 shots per battery.
--- Speed: Focusing, while worlds better than P&Ss, isn't quite up to DSLR standards yet, but that's getting better every day.
--- Control: While mirrorless camera offer the same level of control as DSLRs, very often you'll have to dig through menus to get to where you want to. The main point of mirrorless being cutting down on size, buttons and knobs were eliminated without mercy.

Lesson Summary:
--- Point & Shoots are great for most everyday shooting. Cheap, more options than you could ever want, great image quality and video. Quite difficult (but definitely possible - I'll show you how) to get the 'pro' look.
--- DSLR are king when it comes to image quality, control, and expandability. For the best pictures in any situation, go for a DSLR. Video, not so much.
--- Mirrorless cameras are the best of both worlds, with some caveats. Amazing image quality, the best video, and fairly small and portable. Less control and versatility than an SLR, though.

For the full lesson series visit the Learn Photography Master Thread.

Links to additional Info:

Learn Photography Master Thread: Lesson 2: Camera specs - What do they mean, and which ones matter to me?

Canon's DSLR naming scheme
Nikon's DSLR naming scheme
« Last edited by Curlyhead on August 10, 2016, 11:42:18 AM »

Author Topic: Which Camera Should I Get? Master Thread  (Read 378923 times)

Offline menotyou

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Which Camera Should I Get? Master Thread
« Reply #1760 on: August 06, 2020, 05:22:36 PM »
Kid broke my pancake lens on my wife’s nex-6 otherwise camera is doing well, and we’ve been happy with this never purchased additional lenses because not interested in carrying extra weight. What are recommendations, replace with same or is there an upgraded version, are there any deals on these? Thank you!

Offline freddy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: August 07, 2020, 04:17:51 PM »
I'm looking to buy a good camera that can take solid pics without being a skilled user, I tried out a cannon sx370 hs and it took nice shots is this camera recommended or th sx740? Is it worth the price? (about $300 - 310)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 04:27:47 PM by freddy »
"Judge me by the enemies I make"

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: August 07, 2020, 04:32:24 PM »
I'm looking to buy a good camera that can take solid pics without being a skilled user, I tried out a cannon sx370 hs and it took nice shots is this camera recommended or th sx740? Is it worth the price? (about $300 - 310)
How about the pixel 4a? (About $350)
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline freddy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: August 07, 2020, 04:35:43 PM »
How about the pixel 4a? (About $350)
what is the advantage of that one? also is hs recommended?
"Judge me by the enemies I make"

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: August 07, 2020, 04:43:14 PM »
what is the advantage of that one? also is hs recommended?
Better picture quality, and probably equal video quality (except for zoomed in shots)

_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline menotyou

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: August 12, 2020, 11:58:45 PM »
Recommendation for lenses for Sony nex-6? I had the original lens but it broke should I just replace or upgrade?

Offline Berenstein Bear

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: August 13, 2020, 12:22:25 AM »
Can someone spoonfeed for a minute? Lens that will take my portraits on Sony a6000 from ok to (beginner) pro looking. Good bokeh etc. Only have standard kit lens until now.
I'd especially appreciate a link ;)
TIA

Offline pointer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: August 13, 2020, 11:35:37 AM »
Can someone spoonfeed for a minute? Lens that will take my portraits on Sony a6000 from ok to (beginner) pro looking. Good bokeh etc. Only have standard kit lens until now.
I'd especially appreciate a link ;)
TIA
50 mm f1.8.

Offline Mootkim

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: November 18, 2020, 10:25:33 AM »
My wife is very interested in getting into photography as a hobby. Can someone recommend a decent camera that I can buy her that would be good for a beginner and also work once she becomes a little more advanced?

Offline Mootkim

• View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: November 18, 2020, 10:26:37 AM »
My wife is very interested in getting into photography as a hobby. Can someone recommend a decent camera that I can buy her that would be good for a beginner and also work once she becomes a little more advanced?
I was wondering if this was a decent deal and if it was a good camera for these criteria. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0101RW3QK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: November 18, 2020, 11:23:24 AM »
I was wondering if this was a decent deal and if it was a good camera for these criteria. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0101RW3QK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
I would highly recommend getting the T7i over the T7I. I wouldn't recommend going for the two lens kit unless she specifically needs the extra zoom lens.

In general there are lots of different options, there's lots of different companies there's also mirrorless cameras. I'd suggest to do some research.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Mootkim

• View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: November 18, 2020, 11:26:03 AM »
I would highly recommend getting the T7i over the T7I. I wouldn't recommend going for the two lens kit unless she specifically needs the extra zoom lens.

In general there are lots of different options, there's lots of different companies there's also mirrorless cameras. I'd suggest to do some research.
Thanks. Definitely will do some research but just wanted to know what the average price point for a beginner/intermediate camera should be and also what sort of features am I supposed to research.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: November 18, 2020, 11:27:33 AM »
Read the whole photography thread and this thread

Offline jose34

• View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: November 19, 2020, 12:16:27 PM »
What kind of deals can I expect over Black Friday on Mirrorless Camera's?
Specifically can I expect the Canon EOS M6 Mark II ( with a lens) to go for under $600?

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: November 19, 2020, 12:31:50 PM »
What kind of deals can I expect over Black Friday on Mirrorless Camera's?
Specifically can I expect the Canon EOS M6 Mark II ( with a lens) to go for under $600?
Doubt it.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Hobbyist

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: November 24, 2020, 11:51:00 PM »
Can anyone tell if it’s still worth to buy the EOS R, or going with EOS R6 is the way even it’s so much more expensive?

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: November 24, 2020, 11:58:10 PM »
Can anyone tell if it’s still worth to buy the EOS R, or going with EOS R6 is the way even it’s so much more expensive?
Very dependent on your needs..
https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/preview/canon-eos-r-vs-eos-r6/
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Hobbyist

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: November 24, 2020, 11:59:40 PM »
Thank you,  a hybrid shooter focused on Portrait photography, don’t have a full frame camera yet. A lot of people are talking about the The layout from the bottoms on the body, The wheel etc.
Never never owned a full frame camera yet so it’s hard for me to relate how much value these things really have,

Offline jose34

• View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: November 30, 2020, 03:34:56 PM »
Seems like Canon EOS M50 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 15-45mm and 55-200mm is on backorder. Any chance they are not making it anymore and if I order I will get the Canon M50 Mark II?

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: November 30, 2020, 07:14:05 PM »
Seems like Canon EOS M50 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 15-45mm and 55-200mm is on backorder. Any chance they are not making it anymore and if I order I will get the Canon M50 Mark II?
Back order isn't out of stock.. try and let us know!
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/