Topic Wiki

Check out the New Zealand trip report from Fan of Dan

North Island Activities and Attractions
Auckland - boating, hiking, Sky Tower talk, Kosher, Chabad, Hilton & Crowne Plaza Hotels with points.
Waitomo Glowworm Caves - a unique New Zealand attraction.
Lake Taupo - great boating activities, bungee, and a nice Hilton.
Hobbit Movie Set Tour - if you are into that.
White Island - The only active volcano in NZ, has rave reviews.
Tauranga - Mount Maunganui Summit Track, nice beaches.
Tongariro National Park - the first one created in NZ.
Bay of Islands - Beautiful beaches, old town charm in Russell, and great hikes.

Fifth season of "Jet Lag the Game" filmed in New Zealand in 2023, includes visits to tens of attractions from the north tip to the south:
See all the episodes in the Jet Lag the Game thread
« Last edited by YitzyS on June 02, 2023, 05:59:34 PM »

Author Topic: New Zealand Master Thread  (Read 69831 times)

Offline MendyP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: New Zealand Master Thread
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2014, 11:57:15 PM »
1) I made the map using the old Google My Places. Now you can use Google Maps Engine Lite. It's really convenient to plot everything out in advance, because you can pull it up easily on your phone and see directions, etc.

2) The paid ticket from CHC-SYD cost me ~$800 to change. This is with having the penalty waived as I sent a letter from the hospital...this is only paying the difference in fare last minute. The mileage ticket from SYD-LAX-JFK didn't cost a cent to change, because there was award availability on that day.

3) Wow..not sure I can limit it to 3, but I'll try to rank them. Must do's in my mind are...
1a. Exploring the Queenstown area (mountains, lakes)
1b. Milford Sound... the drive there and the cruise
3. Hiking Franz Josef Glacier
4. Abel Tasman Ntl Park (based on seeing Kaiteriteri Beach)
5. Kaikoura Dolphin Encounter (based on seeing the dolphins from the side of the highway)
6. Mt. Cook

The Queenstown area, mountains and lakes are so incredibly beautiful, as is the trek to Milford sound and the voyage itself. The glacier is just a totally different experience. Abel Tasman/Kaiteriteri is so stunning. The swimming with dolphins looked incredible. Mt Cook is stunning, but when you get there, it's just hiking and if the weather isn't optimal, it may not have been worth it from whati understand.

Offline ZCN

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 19, 2014, 02:07:20 AM »
This is great info, thanks!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2014, 02:54:31 AM »
1) I made the map using the old Google My Places. Now you can use Google Maps Engine Lite. It's really convenient to plot everything out in advance, because you can pull it up easily on your phone and see directions, etc.

2) The paid ticket from CHC-SYD cost me ~$800 to change. This is with having the penalty waived as I sent a letter from the hospital...this is only paying the difference in fare last minute. The mileage ticket from SYD-LAX-JFK didn't cost a cent to change, because there was award availability on that day.

3) Wow..not sure I can limit it to 3, but I'll try to rank them. Must do's in my mind are...
1a. Exploring the Queenstown area (mountains, lakes)
1b. Milford Sound... the drive there and the cruise
3. Hiking Franz Josef Glacier
4. Abel Tasman Ntl Park (based on seeing Kaiteriteri Beach)
5. Kaikoura Dolphin Encounter (based on seeing the dolphins from the side of the highway)
6. Mt. Cook

The Queenstown area, mountains and lakes are so incredibly beautiful, as is the trek to Milford sound and the voyage itself. The glacier is just a totally different experience. Abel Tasman/Kaiteriteri is so stunning. The swimming with dolphins looked incredible. Mt Cook is stunning, but when you get there, it's just hiking and if the weather isn't optimal, it may not have been worth it from whati understand.

Thanks!

I see you did both Milford and Doubtful. Now that you've done it, any reason to do both? I assume Milford was the better of the two?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2014, 03:28:59 AM »
Now that I've had some chance to do a bit more research, this is what I plan on hitting while there, though it may be too crazy/ambitious:

--Arrive Christchurch
--Ohau Stream Walkway and Waterfall (for the seal pups) and/or Kaikoura Dolphin Encounter{B}
--Abel Tasman National Park (Perhaps a visit to Kaiteriteri Beach) [C]
--[fill in blank as I drive south on the west coast]
--Franz Josef/Fox Glacier [perhaps a chopper ride to see Mt. Cook AND a glacial landing?] [D]
--Lake Matheson (Mirror Lake) [D]
--Haast Pass [E]
--Queenstown (luge/bungy jumping/jetboating/flyboarding/paragliding/atving) [F]
--Te Anau (glow worm caves) [G]
--Milford Sound [H]
--Lake Pukaki and/or Lake Tekapo {I}
--Mt. Cook, time and weather permitting {I}
--Return to Christchurch [J]

Here's what it'd look like (1,500 mi):

Am I nuts?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:43:22 AM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 19, 2014, 08:59:54 AM »
Now that I've had some chance to do a bit more research, this is what I plan on hitting while there, though it may be too crazy/ambitious:

--Arrive Christchurch
--Ohau Stream Walkway and Waterfall (for the seal pups) and/or Kaikoura Dolphin Encounter{B}
--Abel Tasman National Park (Perhaps a visit to Kaiteriteri Beach) [C]
--[fill in blank as I drive south on the west coast]
--Franz Josef/Fox Glacier [perhaps a chopper ride to see Mt. Cook AND a glacial landing?] [D]
--Lake Matheson (Mirror Lake) [D]
--Haast Pass [E]
--Queenstown (luge/bungy jumping/jetboating/flyboarding/paragliding/atving) [F]
--Te Anau (glow worm caves) [G]
--Milford Sound [H]
--Lake Pukaki and/or Lake Tekapo {I}
--Mt. Cook, time and weather permitting {I}
--Return to Christchurch [J]

Here's what it'd look like (1,500 mi):

Am I nuts?
how many days are you giving yourself?

Offline MendyP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 19, 2014, 09:22:58 AM »
AJK - You're not nuts at all - that looks awesome! You just need to give yourself enough time to do it. How much time did you give yourself for the trip?

- I highly suggest the Kaikoura Dolphin Encounter if you're driving by Kaikoura anyways.
 - Between B and C, be sure to drive through Picton and along Queen Charlotte Drive. It's slightly out of the way, but a gorgeous drive.
 - At C, Kaiteriteri Beach is essentially the start of Abel Tasman. You can drive right up to Kaiteriteri Beach, whereas Abel Tasman is a huge park. I had intended on us taking the boat to one of the beaches further into the park. They have boats that will go along the entire park from water, that will drop you off at different spots, etc. The whole area looks incredible, and I believe is rated #1 on TripAdvisor for NZ.
 - From C to D, I know that Punakaiki Beach is highly rated for it's pancake rocks and blowholes. We planned to go here after the knifemaking but we ended up going to the hospital instead...There's a lot of good info on the West Coast here: http://www.westcoastnz.com/newzealand/Home/ .. The Blue Pools of Haast also looked like they were supposed to be nice (but we had to speed on through before the road was closed).

With regards to having gone to both Milford and Doubtful... It appeared to me they were going to be 2 different experiences from my research. Doubtful being bigger, quieter (less touristy), more nature-filled, and Milford smaller, busier, etc. In the end, I enjoyed Milford much more. I thought Milford was prettier and more majestic (the snow capped mountains, etc). We also had sunshine at Milford and clouds/drizzle on Doubtful, so that could be part of the reason for my mindset on this. In the end, I think if you do Milford - you're good. No need for Doubtful. Also, the drive itself to Milford Sound is amazing, whereas the drive to Doubtful Sound is standard NZ.

I also noticed 2 options for glaciers - Fox and Franz Josef. There didn't seem to be as much of a distinction here to me, and so I stuck with just one. Franz Josef seems to have the better reviews overall from my research. We chose the Ice Explorer package. I think the next one up is the Heli Hike, if I recall correctly. It takes you a bit higher up the glacier where the glacier is a bit flatter and easier to traverse. Looking back I should have chosen that one for my wife's sake, not that the Ice Explorer was difficult, it just would have been a bit more relaxing. I just didn't like that they charged so much more by packaging all these additional items with the Heli Hike...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 19, 2014, 10:34:28 AM »
how many days are you giving yourself?

AJK - You're not nuts at all - that looks awesome! You just need to give yourself enough time to do it. How much time did you give yourself for the trip?

- I highly suggest the Kaikoura Dolphin Encounter if you're driving by Kaikoura anyways.
 - Between B and C, be sure to drive through Picton and along Queen Charlotte Drive. It's slightly out of the way, but a gorgeous drive.
 - At C, Kaiteriteri Beach is essentially the start of Abel Tasman. You can drive right up to Kaiteriteri Beach, whereas Abel Tasman is a huge park. I had intended on us taking the boat to one of the beaches further into the park. They have boats that will go along the entire park from water, that will drop you off at different spots, etc. The whole area looks incredible, and I believe is rated #1 on TripAdvisor for NZ.
 - From C to D, I know that Punakaiki Beach is highly rated for it's pancake rocks and blowholes. We planned to go here after the knifemaking but we ended up going to the hospital instead...There's a lot of good info on the West Coast here: http://www.westcoastnz.com/newzealand/Home/ .. The Blue Pools of Haast also looked like they were supposed to be nice (but we had to speed on through before the road was closed).

With regards to having gone to both Milford and Doubtful... It appeared to me they were going to be 2 different experiences from my research. Doubtful being bigger, quieter (less touristy), more nature-filled, and Milford smaller, busier, etc. In the end, I enjoyed Milford much more. I thought Milford was prettier and more majestic (the snow capped mountains, etc). We also had sunshine at Milford and clouds/drizzle on Doubtful, so that could be part of the reason for my mindset on this. In the end, I think if you do Milford - you're good. No need for Doubtful. Also, the drive itself to Milford Sound is amazing, whereas the drive to Doubtful Sound is standard NZ.

I also noticed 2 options for glaciers - Fox and Franz Josef. There didn't seem to be as much of a distinction here to me, and so I stuck with just one. Franz Josef seems to have the better reviews overall from my research. We chose the Ice Explorer package. I think the next one up is the Heli Hike, if I recall correctly. It takes you a bit higher up the glacier where the glacier is a bit flatter and easier to traverse. Looking back I should have chosen that one for my wife's sake, not that the Ice Explorer was difficult, it just would have been a bit more relaxing. I just didn't like that they charged so much more by packaging all these additional items with the Heli Hike...

This would be 8 days on the ground in the south island.

That's again for the very detailed response!

I'll definitely look into adding some of your suggestions, time permitting.

Offline MendyP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 19, 2014, 10:35:33 AM »
This would be 8 days on the ground in the south island.
That's do-able...You'll be busy! But it's DEFINITELY worth it... after all, how often are you in NZ?? :D

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 19, 2014, 10:37:52 AM »
That's do-able...You'll be busy! But it's DEFINITELY worth it... after all, how often are you in NZ?? :D

Indeed! So I'll probably just stick to Milford and Franz Josef, that way it'll leave more time for other stuff.

Recall what the price difference was for the heli hike?

Offline MendyP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2014, 10:41:22 AM »
Indeed! So I'll probably just stick to Milford and Franz Josef, that way it'll leave more time for other stuff. Recall what the price difference was for the heli hike?

http://www.franzjosefglacier.com/our-trips/

Seems to be $325 vs $429...

I hope you booked these activities already...If not, book now! These trips do sell out....glacier, fjord, etc.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2014, 10:45:56 AM »
http://www.franzjosefglacier.com/our-trips/

Seems to be $325 vs $429...

I hope you booked these activities already...If not, book now! These trips do sell out....glacier, fjord, etc.

Uh oh. I didn't yet. Hard to be able to judge how quickly I'll be able to move the proposed itinerary :o

Offline MendyP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2014, 10:49:23 AM »
Uh oh. I didn't yet. Hard to be able to judge how quickly I'll be able to move the proposed itinerary :o

I looked quickly and it appears there's availability... I just wouldn't want to fly half way around the world and get locked out of doing an activity I wanted to do.. Plus, if you're going to get through your entire itinerary, you need to plan out the days and driving times, where you'll be for Shabbat (if you're observant), and then you'll know when you can do each item and book them.

We originally planned to do Franz Josef on a Sunday and then Barrytown Knifemaking on Monday, until I went to book and found out the Knifemaking was closed on Mondays. I had to shift our schedule. We added in Mt Cook for Sunday, glacier Monday, knifemaking Tuesday, etc.

PM me your email, I'll show you what I put together for my NZ trip.

Offline sam28

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2014, 11:05:38 AM »
thanks for you amazing TR

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2014, 07:59:46 PM »
What'd you guys do for phone/internet?

Mifi? Local sim? Any recommendations?

Offline MendyP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2014, 08:01:30 PM »
I have unlimited international data on my work phone and I made calls using Google voice over data, as well as using my Telna calling card.

Offline ZCN

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 23, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »
Found this site which has a compilation of daily deals. This seems to be good for more last minute deals so some of you may find this useful.  With some of the sites listed, you can change the region to other places, like the west coast and heli hikes to franz josef.

http://www.onedaydeals.co.nz/queenstown-deals.html

Offline ZCN

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 23, 2014, 02:39:27 PM »
I'm looking into taking a helicopter tour of Franz Josef, as many have recommended here. I'm getting a little confused with the different options: some companies offer a simple 20-40 minute tour from the air, while others land and then do some hiking. Any recommendations?

Offline ZCN

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »
I'm looking into taking a helicopter tour of Franz Josef, as many have recommended here. I'm getting a little confused with the different options: some companies offer a simple 20-40 minute tour from the air, while others land and then do some hiking. Any recommendations?

Bump?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2014, 08:08:53 PM »
I'm personally gonna *try* to do both a heli+hike.

Offline ZCN

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2014, 10:24:34 PM »
I'm personally gonna *try* to do both a heli+hike.

Have you done any research on which companies are good? And if so, can you share what you've found?