Topic Wiki

Check out the New Zealand trip report from Fan of Dan

North Island Activities and Attractions
Auckland - boating, hiking, Sky Tower talk, Kosher, Chabad, Hilton & Crowne Plaza Hotels with points.
Waitomo Glowworm Caves - a unique New Zealand attraction.
Lake Taupo - great boating activities, bungee, and a nice Hilton.
Hobbit Movie Set Tour - if you are into that.
White Island - The only active volcano in NZ, has rave reviews.
Tauranga - Mount Maunganui Summit Track, nice beaches.
Tongariro National Park - the first one created in NZ.
Bay of Islands - Beautiful beaches, old town charm in Russell, and great hikes.

Fifth season of "Jet Lag the Game" filmed in New Zealand in 2023, includes visits to tens of attractions from the north tip to the south:
See all the episodes in the Jet Lag the Game thread
« Last edited by YitzyS on June 02, 2023, 05:59:34 PM »

Author Topic: New Zealand Master Thread  (Read 67960 times)

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: New Zealand Master Thread
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 12:19:35 PM »
Where is there a kosher restaurant?

Offline Expert Flyer

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: EL AL PLATINUM, *A G, *O SAPPHIRE, HUMAN RACE PLATINUM FOR LIFE, IRAN AIR PLUTONIUM
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »
Anyone got any information in terms of KSML in NZ + minyanim?

I will be in AKL and CHC

Offline Afight4ever

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 03:21:33 PM »
I was just in Auckland and had a great time. There really isn't much kosher there and you have to bring pretty much everything. The customs are strict and hiding it all over the place is not an option since everyone goes through an x-ray machine and if they catch you then you pay a massive find. Just make sure to declare and have only preserved foods. We brought roasted nuts, tuna, bread, etc. We stayed at the Pullman hotel in the center of the city and paid $100/night through expedia, but was nothing special. I say pay the extra and stay at a nicer hotel or spg points. The restaurant is small and expensive. some products more then others. There is suppose to be a minyan Mon and Thurs but they were on vacation when I was there and there was nothing. We took a short (12 min) boat ride from the ferry terminal to some nice island walked around was very nice. Rented a car from ACE wasnt too bad but old car. A car is not really needed if you don't plan on going anywhere. we had to pay for parking at the hotel and didn't really drive much so it was kind of a waste. All in all it was a beautiful city and we enjoyed walking around and having a good time. There isn't much of Jewish life going on there but its one of hashems amazing creations

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 04:59:13 PM »
From what I've read there's no much to do in AKL.  It's the other parts of NZ that are worth exploring.

La Briute's are probably a good option for NZ.
They didn't make any problems with bread?
What kind of kosher groceries are available?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Afight4ever

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
no we brought in bread and other foods. I think as long as its cooked/pasteurized and not containing any fruit its ok.
There are come candies snacks some basic household needs instant soups pickles ice cream meats (I believe its shipped from Australia) Matzos . It is very expensive. 

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 05:08:58 AM »
Is anyone in nz on the south island? We just had this huge snowstorm.....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 11:14:48 AM »
Is anyone in nz on the south island? We just had this huge snowstorm.....
Are you there? Let's hear more about it!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 09:26:36 AM »
Yes jusd did a five day tour of the south island!! flew into christchurch and drove 2100 kilometers around all the way to milford sound!! Was not to be believed!! Quenstown is a party and the dollar works well down there!! We tooka chopper to the top of a glacier near mt cook and got to walk around in the snow way up! Only issue is that there are no Starwood hotels in the southisland. Now in the Great barrier reef after some serious Scuba diving out of port douglas!!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 01:00:51 PM »
Wow, awesome!
Pics?
Hope we get a full report of what you did and where you stayed later on!

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 09:31:09 PM »
Ok here is my South Island of New Zealand trip report. Sorry for the delay just took a while to get back to myself. In introduction we went in the nz winter because of scheduling and also I have read that is is the nicest when there is snow. Also much less tourists giving you a real kiwi experience. Prices are lower as well. I am a big skiier but had no time to ski. We brought meat from Australia as they only let in Australian meat. Make sure it says from Au they checked every package!

We landed in Christchurch on a Sunday afternoon on a jetstar flight for about 220 for each of us (myself and wife) from Sydney. We rented a car from Shoestring car rental which was about 120usd from sunday till friday. We were planning on shopping in the city and than driving across nz from the west coast to east coast via the magnificent Arthurs Pass, and then down to the Frans josef glacier(5hr drive), but when we landed we heard a blizzard was expected in the pass so we left right away. We were told "leave now and drive fast"!! Snow started falling but we made it. We stayed at a small motel called 58 on cron motel for 100usd, was simple but nice and clean.

Monday: we drove to the franz josef and fox glacier and then to the tasman sea. Gorgeous beaches surrounded by white capped mountains. Then we headed to Wanaka which is on the way to Quenstown. You drive through the Haast Pass. There were signs saying Chains Essential due to the snow which was brewing in the mountains but having no choice we went anyways. Roads were covered in snow but drive was amazing. We passed lake Hawea and lake wanaka which were stunning. Arrived in wanaka and stayed at the bella vista hotel which was nice.

Tuesday: most roads were closed due to the snow from last two days so we bought snow chains for fifty bucks and luckily we got to Quenstown. We took a gondola to the top of the city and was worth every penny. Town is surrounded by lakes and snowy mountains. Against the advice of locals due to the weather forecast we then drove to Te Anu which is on the bottom of NZ and had a stunning drive through the most remote part of nz. Just lakes mountain and snow. Overnight in Fiordland Lakeview Motel & Apartments in Te anu which is gateway to Milford sound.

Wednesday: we had clear blue skies and drove to Milfrod sound. The drive down is supposed to be the nicest anywhere. We took a cruise of the sound with Mitre Peaks Cruise  and saw the nicest scenery of our lives. Kicks Switzerland canaidian rockies new foundland Alaska or anywhere else I have been to. Mile high mountains with sheer cliffs into the water. Seals penguins you name it. We then drove up the west coast all the was to Mt cook. Seven hour drive. Arrived at midnight and stayed in The Hermitage which overlooks mt cook.

Thursday: Due to avalanche warnings all hiking trails were closed so we took a chopper over Mt cook the highest mtn on the continent. We told company we can only afford 150 a person but in end they had two seats extra on a 400usd tour so we rode for less than half the other passengers. Was coolest flight ever better than than mt mckinley one we did in Alaska. Worth it to splurge on you will not regret what you see from the chopper. We landed on a glacier and got to get out on top of the clouds, though the snow was four feet deep!!! We then drove to Christchurch via lake pukaki and stayed in Aalton motel for 80usd. Nice no frills. Next morning we flew back to Sydney.

Whole NZ cost under 1500 for both of us and was worth every penny. Would definitely go back!!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:44:05 PM by Fan of Dan »

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 09:51:56 AM »
Wow! Sounds like you didn't miss anything. Great report!

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 01:29:08 AM »
Thanks! Yeah we really crammed it all in! Figured nz could use a trip report!

Offline MendyP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2013, 11:01:51 PM »
Hi All -

Been planning a NZ trip for a little while now. Looking at Feb 2014 for 2 weeks. Hoping to book next week. Currently have 154,000 AA miles and 73,000 Starpoints. It appears AA puts you on Qantas and you need to change in AUS. Additionally, award flights to the South Island (ZQN, CHC) appear to be gone, so it's looking like I'll use AA miles for RT to Australia and buy flights RT to NZ. Here's the draft itinerary so far. Any insight would be appreciated :)

- Fly Sunday night from NYC, arrive Brisbane on Tuesday morning. No flights to Queenstown til Wednesday, so spend the day on the Gold Coast. Book the Sheraton with Starpoints. Relax after the long flights on the beach.
- Fly Wednesday to Queenstown. Skyline Gondola and Luge.
- Thursday: Doubtful Sound Cruise
- Friday: Milford Sound Cruise, drive back to Queenstown for Shabbat
- Shabbat: Walk around Queenstown. Minus 5 Ice Bar on Sat night.

- Sunday: Franz Josef Glacier Ice Explorer and Hot Pools (3 hours on ice, including helicopter up)
- Monday: Barrytown Knifemaking, Punakaiki Beach (Pancake rocks and blow holes)
- Tuesday: Abel Tasman National Park (rated #1 walk in NZ)
- Wednesday: Encounter Kaikoura (swimming with dolphins)
- Thursday: Fly Christchurch - Sydney. Walk around Sydney. Harbour Twilight BridgeClimb.
- Friday: FeatherDale Wildlife Park (feed kangaroos, pet koalas). Bondi-Coogee Beach walk.
- Shabbat: Great Synagogue, walk around
- Sunday: Fly home

Planning to use 150K AA miles on 2 tix: LGA-DFW-BNE going there, SYD-LAX-JFK coming back. Will be purchasing tix for BNE-ZQN and CHC-SYD for the trip to NZ. Plan to use starpoints for hotels in Australia, and research hotels in the South Island...

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2013, 11:27:06 PM »
That's about the time we're looking to go. DO? :)

Good start on the itin! You sure there is availability on QF for your dates?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline MendyP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 12:11:22 AM »
I'm not down with all the acronyms apparently. What's DO?

There seems to be plenty of availability on Qantas using AA miles to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, and even Auckland and Wellington....just not to the south island.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2013, 01:05:55 AM »
Looks great! You should really go to Mt Cook. If you can, take a chopper up to the top for a glacier landing, which is from the coolest things to do down there.

Offline rcarentals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz 1# Plat, Sabre, Travel Agent
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 02:38:05 AM »
For all those who haven't been to new zealand, a word about the landscape.

In short, New zealand is a place where you say WOW! until you simply get pissed off of saying WOW!

Long,
When you fly into new zealand, at first it looks from above nice, but like things you've seen flying into a country before...
you get off the plane, and get into the city, say, christchurch, and it's a very nice city.

But, then you take a drive outside of the main city area, and the first thing that happens is you say wow! you drive a little further, and come around a bend, and you are dashing for your camera snapping away, and gawking the whole time saying WOW!...

For the next few hours of driving all you say is WOW. you say wow so much you get tired of saying wow. the beauty you behold is so wondrous, yet it has become repetitive in that you have filled your 64gb memory card to the brim with all the pictures you have taken and you are out of batteries. yet there is so much more beauty to behold it is simply frustrating!

At this point, you give up and decide to simply close your gawking mouth, and appreciate the beauty with your eyes.. your camera can stay in your bag.. you can't capture every second of beauty all day long, and it's annoying..

(i spent 2-3 days in christchurch 7-8 days in dunedin and 1 day in Queenstown)
Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2013, 03:35:54 AM »

(i spent 2-3 days in christchurch 7-8 days in dunedin and 1 day in Queenstown)
7-8 in dunedin, ive never heard of that before. i spent one day and thought it was enough

Offline rcarentals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz 1# Plat, Sabre, Travel Agent
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 04:46:26 AM »
made a pesach seder..
we have a now famous "horor" story that went down there, but no, even 7-8 days isnt enough! i love that place!
Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)

Offline MendyP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2013, 10:44:43 AM »
Fan of Dan - I had Mt Cook on the list previously, specifically walking the Hooker Valley track as it looks amazing. It's just that going from Mt Cook to Franz Josef requires going all the way down and around, and it's a lot of driving just to see Mt Cook. Since I have the Abel Tasman walk, and hiking the glacier, I thought I could skip Mt Cook... I'll look it over again.

As it is, this itinerary requires a lot of driving...