Topic Wiki

Check out the New Zealand trip report from Fan of Dan

North Island Activities and Attractions
Auckland - boating, hiking, Sky Tower talk, Kosher, Chabad, Hilton & Crowne Plaza Hotels with points.
Waitomo Glowworm Caves - a unique New Zealand attraction.
Lake Taupo - great boating activities, bungee, and a nice Hilton.
Hobbit Movie Set Tour - if you are into that.
White Island - The only active volcano in NZ, has rave reviews.
Tauranga - Mount Maunganui Summit Track, nice beaches.
Tongariro National Park - the first one created in NZ.
Bay of Islands - Beautiful beaches, old town charm in Russell, and great hikes.

Fifth season of "Jet Lag the Game" filmed in New Zealand in 2023, includes visits to tens of attractions from the north tip to the south:
See all the episodes in the Jet Lag the Game thread
« Last edited by YitzyS on June 02, 2023, 05:59:34 PM »

Author Topic: New Zealand Master Thread  (Read 67990 times)

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: New Zealand Master Thread
« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2014, 08:27:37 PM »
The place is tiny, very expensive, and minimal selection - at least that's what it was a few years ago...

I've brought meat and fish into NZ from AU, no guarantees though.
Have it (whatever "it" is) vacuum packed and sealed with the company's label.
By me when I brought from AU to NZ they inspected every single package to make sure it said that it was from AU. I am so lucky I didn't try bringing anything from the US. I have never seen anything like it.

Offline gunit770

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2014, 09:02:46 PM »
By me when I brought from AU to NZ they inspected every single package to make sure it said that it was from AU. I am so lucky I didn't try bringing anything from the US. I have never seen anything like it.

They actually just published new and more lenient USA import restrictions:

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files/ihs/heameaic.spe.pdf

and

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/imports/animals/standards/ediproic.all.htm

Which seems to imply that beef and vegetables are fine but chicken and dairy is more problematic. The question I still have is whether pomegranate meals will pass muster according to this. I cannot tell if the form at the end which needs a signature from a vet would be required for the pomegranate meals or not. Perhaps somebody else (with maybe a law background) can read these guidelines and apply these to pomegranates frozen meals?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2014, 09:09:54 PM »
They actually just published new and more lenient USA import restrictions:

and

Which seems to imply that beef and vegetables are fine but chicken and dairy is more problematic. The question I still have is whether pomegranate meals will pass muster according to this. I cannot tell if the form at the end which needs a signature from a vet would be required for the pomegranate meals or not. Perhaps somebody else (with maybe a law background) can read these guidelines and apply these to pomegranates frozen meals?

Try emailing them? I'd be interested in the answer, too.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2014, 09:10:13 PM »
Best way to travel intra-new zealand is Jetstar, I'm assuming? No like distance-based award chard for NZ that I'm forgetting, right?

Specifically, looking for AKL<>CHC.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2014, 09:16:41 PM »
Ding ding ding:

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »
Anyone know what this could be talking about?

http://www.greysavedeli.co.nz/airline-meals.html

Does this mean that there is something I can do to have kosher meals from Greys to/from AKL, or is it something the airline MAY do on their own?

Offline gunit770

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2014, 11:14:52 PM »
Anyone know what this could be talking about?

http://www.greysavedeli.co.nz/airline-meals.html

Does this mean that there is something I can do to have kosher meals from Greys to/from AKL, or is it something the airline MAY do on their own?

Im pretty sure from the wording that they mean the airline may do on its own.

regarding bringing food in, i described the pomegranate meals and they said it was okay as long as it was kept to under 20 kilos, was properly commercially wrapped, and had labeling that included all ingredients and country of origin. Im not sure if that describes the POM meals accurately. I would say don't rely on it and if you will then be prepared to end up eating tuna fish for your NZ time.

I might ask the POM people if they can include ingredients on the packages since I dont remember them doing that they last time i ordered from them for Bali.

If you end up going and bringing POM, let me know if it works out, il do the same. I leave on Dec 22

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2014, 11:56:34 PM »

Im pretty sure from the wording that they mean the airline may do on its own.

Yeah, I emailed Grays, and they said that it's something the airline does on it's own.  FYI -- all kosher meals ex-AKL come from Grays.

regarding bringing food in, i described the pomegranate meals and they said it was okay as long as it was kept to under 20 kilos, was properly commercially wrapped, and had labeling that included all ingredients and country of origin. Im not sure if that describes the POM meals accurately. I would say don't rely on it and if you will then be prepared to end up eating tuna fish for your NZ time.

I might ask the POM people if they can include ingredients on the packages since I dont remember them doing that they last time i ordered from them for Bali.

If you end up going and bringing POM, let me know if it works out, il do the same. I leave on Dec 22

Do you mind forwarding me your email?

I sent the following:

My wife and I have plans to soon visit your beautiful country from the USA for about 10 days.  However, we have very strict dietary restrictions, and we are planning to bring with us nearly all the food we will consume during our stay.

Before doing so, however, we'd like clarification and confirmation from MPI on what would be allowed into NZ.

As of now, we'd like to bring in pre-cooked frozen meals which are prepared, cooked, wrapped, sealed, and sold by a large grocery store in New York.  The meals would remain sealed during the entire duration of our trip from USA to NZ.

Our options are to bring meat-based/chicken-based/dairy-based meals with a starch side and vegetables side.

Can you please advise whether the above or any combination thereof is allowed pursuant to your regulations?

Thank you!

And received the following reply:

Dear sir,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the importation of specified food items in to New Zealand.  The scope of pre – packaged, commercially prepared and home prepared foods containing animal products is great.  It would be best if you read the relevant Import Health Standard yourself.

I have attached the standard below.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files/ihs/ediproic.all.pdf

Please ensure that you declare all the food items as you bring them in to New  Zealand.  It is important that all your meat and meat products be in un – opened sealed, commercial packaging  when you bring them here.   

To be frank, I'm not sure his email answers my question (and what does "The scope of pre – packaged, commercially prepared and home prepared foods containing animal products is great" mean?), but I did find the below which seems to correspond to what you were told.

Note, there does not seem to be any mention of chicken/poultry in the linked-to document.

That fact, coupled with the fact that Section 6.2 of another document states that "Pre-cooked heat-and-eat meals containing poultry meat may not be imported under this import health standard" leads me to conclude that poultry/chicken ain't allowed no matter what.

Am I misinterpreting?

Offline gunit770

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2014, 11:43:30 PM »
Interesting stuff.

I completely agree with you about the chicken. I would leave off on the wings and chicken fingers. Go with the corned beef and mac and cheese. Although it seems like beef is better than dairy somehow. I will include below my conversation with different employees of the help desk at NZ customs and Quarantine. Ahmed is the guy I was going back and forth with because I wanted a straight yes to my questions:

Hello Ahmed,

I am planning a trip to NZ and have a very specific diet. As such, I would like to bring into the country with me from the USA some items and would like to know if I am allowed to. I would like to bring in prepackaged frozen meals from a local deli. These will contain beef and vegetable meals. There will also be some dairy meals such as macaroni and cheese. I would also like to bring in frozen vegetable soup also prepackaged from the grocery store with USA labels. Please let me know if this will be a problem. I have read the import health standards and I am still unsure as to whether I can bring in these items.

Then one of ahmed's colleagues responded with this:

Dear Sir.  The food items as you have described below are quite generic in definition and it would be best if you carefully read through the two Import Health Standards below.

Broadly speaking most foods from the U.S.A. containing animal products are allowed now but of course there are strict requirements  in the packaging/labelling that must be met.  It is most important that the food items are in sealed, commercial packaging with full ingredient description and country of origin written clearly somewhere on the packaging.

Please declare all your food items upon your arrival here in New Zealand.

The next day I received a reply from ahmed himself:

Hello *****,
Further to my email of yesterday , I hereby confirm that you can bring food items mentioned in your email under following standard condition 2.3.

Please remember all the following condition should be met

a)The product is commercially prepared and packaged.

b) The product is in its original sealed packaging on arrival.

c) The country of origin is identifiable from the packaging.

d) The total weight of the consignment is 20 kilograms or less.

Please feel to email if you need any more clarification.

Please declare all the food items on your  passenger arrival card

Thanks and Regards

Ahmed

Then I read over the requirements and thought I would need a vet to sign off on the status of the meat so I asked ahmed:

Thank you ahmed. The requirement for a veterinarian to certify the food, does that apply to my case?

thanks
!

And his response:

Thanks for your enquiry.
The veterinarian requirement does not apply to you.

I can only conclude from all of this that if we get really good documentation from POM and if we keep it to under 20kg then we will be fine. But YMMV of course!

Offline ZCN

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2014, 12:42:04 AM »
Very interesting. I actually just emailed them myself and this is what I got:

Hi XXXXXX,

Yes you can bring the bread products and pasta no problems at all. The meat products however will require special conditions of entry into New Zealand. I have provided you a copy of the import health standard below.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files/ihs/ediproic.all.pdf

You may find sections 2.3 and 2.5 helpful. Please ensure that all food is declared on the passenger arrival card when you get here.

Thanks for your enquiry

Rob Gouldsmith
Quarantine Inspector

Some good news: it appears the only problematic foods would be meat/chicken, and maybe fish. Everything else should be fine. Also, this email didn't say anything about a section 6, and reading the 2 sections he referenced, I think we can find food that will satisfy the requirements.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2014, 01:29:34 AM »
Maybe between the three of us, we can come to a determination.

I've done some back and forth as well, and here's my convo:

Mr. Bacon,

I've spent the better part of three hours now reviewing the document you linked to (as well as other documents on your site) but I still have a number of questions:

1) My original question above referred to meals that were pre-cooked, then sealed and frozen. The document you linked to seems not to refer to pre-cooked meals at all, but rather uncooked food items. Can you confirm?

2) The document you linked to does not mention poultry/chicken at all. Does that mean I am unable to import cooked and/or uncooked chicken?

3) Is there a difference between cooked and uncooked? Between meat and chicken and dairy?

I am sure I'll have follow up questions.

Thanks for your time,

And their response:

Hello,

This documents intention is to try cover off as many variations of animal products as possible that we may get at the border unfortunately that makes it quite complicated to understand.

To answer your first question.  This standard does imply cooked food in certain sections but they have set strict measures as to what they mean by cooked, for commercial consignments this is the retort process of Fo3 or greater found on page 17 of document.  For private consignments this is for retorted products(section 2.1) It  usually states in each section which form(shelf stable for example) it relates to unless not stated which means that it would be allowed in any form.

Secondly question- it doesn’t mention poultry but it doesn’t rule it out under certain sections.  So you would be able to import poultry under sections 2.1 and 2.5 if it meet all the requirements that is.

Third question-Yes there is a difference between cooked and uncooked, mainly that certain diseases would not survive if processed in a certain way.  Yes there is a difference between meat, chicken , and dairy , it mainly depends on which country certain diseases are prevalent in.

Anyway in regards to your case-

From USA the only type of meat you are allowed to bring in any form is Beef (cooked or uncooked).  It must also meet the following requirements
2.3 Private consignments of meat and meat products

(1) Private consignments of meat, meat products and meat products contained within casings may be imported from specified countries as per the following table provided all of the following requirements are met:

a) The product is commercially prepared and packaged.
c) The country of manufacture is identifiable from the packaging.
e) For meat products contained within casings, the country of origin and types of meat product within the casings are printed indelibly on the outside of the casing or the commercial packaging.

Any other types of meats (including poultry) can come in the following forms -

1)      Retorted (Section 2.1)

2)      Dried cured (Section 2.5)- note USA is on the MPI List of FMD-Free Countries and Zones

There is one other exception to types of meat from the USA which is allowed, which is Crocodile and Alligator if you want to check the requirements for that it is in section 2.6.

Retorted

Means heated in an unopened hermetically sealed container for a time, and to a temperature, by superheated steam under pressure. Retorted goods may be in cans, jars or pouches.

2.1 Retorted animal products other than fish

(1) Private consignments of retorted animal product, other than fish may be imported from any country provided all of the following requirements are met:

a) The product is shelf-stable.
b) The product is commercially prepared and packaged.
c) The product is in its original sealed packaging on arrival.
d) The total weight of bone-in amphibian, avian or mammalian meat products is 2 kilograms or less.

2.5 Private consignments of dried cured meat

(1) Private consignments of dried cured meat manufactured in FMD-free countries (refer to the MPI List of FMD-Free Countries and Zones) may be imported provided all of the following requirements are met:

a) The product is shelf-stable.
b) The product is commercially prepared and packaged.
c) The product is in its original sealed packaging on arrival.
d) The product is manufactured in an FMD-free country (country of manufacture must be clearly stated on the package label).
e) The total weight of the consignment is 1 kilogram or less.

Guidance for section 2.5

 Dried, cured meat includes but is not limited to beef jerky, turkey jerky, prosciutto, sou gan and biltong.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Quarantine Inspector 1806

Natashaa

So, this is what I've learned (I think):

1) "From USA the only type of meat you are allowed to bring in any form is Beef (cooked or uncooked)," and it must meet the requirements of section 2.3:

2.3 Private consignments of meat and meat products
(1) Private consignments of meat, meat products and meat products contained within casings may be
imported from specified countries as per the following table provided all of the following requirements
are met:
a) The product is commercially prepared and packaged.
c) The country of origin is identifiable from the packaging.
e) For meat products contained within casings, the country of origin and types of meat product
within the casings are printed indelibly on the outside of the casing or the commercial packaging.

So, it seems that you can bring all beef-based Pomegranate meals without issue, provided it shows its from USA (I don't recall if the packaging does show it... anyone know/remember?).

2) Poultry is basically not allowed, unless you guys understand that "retorted" is how Meal Mart meals are made; but it doesn't seem so to me.

3) 2.3 to me implies I can bring in UNCOOKED beef as well (perhaps for BBQs).

4)I'm not sure how "IMPORT HEALTH STANDARD FOR THE IMPORT HEALTH STANDARD FOR THE COOKED HEAT-AND-EAT MEALS CONTAINING ANIMAL PRODUCTS FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION FROM CANADA AND USA" really fits in other than to say you can't bring in chicken under it either (See section 6.2).

5) "IMPORT HEALTH STANDARD FOR THE IMPORT HEALTH STANDARD FOR THE COOKED HEAT-AND-EAT MEALS CONTAINING ANIMAL PRODUCTS FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION FROM CANADA AND USA" allows "pre-cooked heat-and-eat meals" which to me means one could bring in meal mart or POM meals, but I don't see how we could unless we also had a "Zoosanitary Certification" (see section 7.1), which is seemingly required.

What do you guys think we need to have answered at this point before we solidly comfortable?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2014, 12:30:29 AM »
Bump?

Offline gunit770

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2014, 06:49:45 AM »
Bump?

1. agreed
2. agreed
3. agreed
4. agreed
5. Disagree: When I asked them if I needed certification from a veterinarian, they told me I do not and that the portion of the rules that requires it does not apply to us. I am assuming that means that the entire section 7.1 is not applicalbe to us although like you I am unsure why.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2014, 02:47:17 PM »
Another twist.

I asked:

--So if I understand correctly, I can bring in beef-based meals, cooked or uncooked, provided it meets the standards of section "2.3 Private consignments of meat and meat products," in http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files/ihs/ediproic.all.pdf right?

--Can you clarify how the above rules affect the rules here: http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files/ihs/heameaic.spe.pdf

The response:

Thanks for your enquiry.
The standard to use is the http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files/ihs/ediproic.all.pdf   Do not use the other one as it is meant for commercial consignments.
Section 2.3 refers to uncooked meat. If you have shelf stable retorted products not requiring refrigeration then refer to section 2.1 (1

Two important take-aways:

1) We're not supposed to be using "IMPORT HEALTH STANDARD FOR THE IMPORT HEALTH STANDARD FOR THE COOKED HEAT-AND-EAT MEALS CONTAINING ANIMAL PRODUCTS FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION FROM CANADA AND USA" at all as it only pertains to commercial consignments, which don't apply to us.

2) Perhaps even more importantly, it looks like we cannot bring in POM meals under Section 2.3 of http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files/ihs/ediproic.all.pdf, as the inspector stated above that it only applies to uncooked food.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2014, 02:49:48 PM »
I also asked:

Would I be able to bring in something like this?

Answer:

The photo you have attached is shelf stable so would be allowed under 2.1 (1).

Takeaway:

Beef-based Meal Mart meals would be OK.

Looks like POM is out of the question, unless I'm missing something.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2014, 03:13:26 PM »
Actually, I've followed up for clarification.

At this point, I believe the following:

1) Under section 2.1, one could bring in any type of meat (other than fish), including beef, poultry, etc. An example would be Meal Mart meals. So, yes, one could bring in meat- and chicken-based Meal Mart meals.

2) Though the latest inspector said that section 2.3 only covers *cooked* meat, (which would prohibit POM meals), I followed up because a previous inspector, quoted in one of my posts above, said: "[the directive] usually states in each section which form(shelf stable for example) it relates to unless not stated which means that it would be allowed in any form."

I don't see that section 2.3 states any form, which means to me that it should be allowed in any form (which should allow POM meals).

I'll report back.

Offline gunit770

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2014, 06:52:39 PM »
Actually, I've followed up for clarification.

At this point, I believe the following:

1) Under section 2.1, one could bring in any type of meat (other than fish), including beef, poultry, etc. An example would be Meal Mart meals. So, yes, one could bring in meat- and chicken-based Meal Mart meals.

That could be useful. I have never had the meal mart meals. are they any good? where can one get them in NY area? Compared to POM are they edible?

2) Though the latest inspector said that section 2.3 only covers *cooked* meat, (which would prohibit POM meals), I followed up because a previous inspector, quoted in one of my posts above, said: "[the directive] usually states in each section which form(shelf stable for example) it relates to unless not stated which means that it would be allowed in any form."

I don't see that section 2.3 states any form, which means to me that it should be allowed in any form (which should allow POM meals).

I'll report back.

I think I specifically remember somebody mentioning that 2.3 would apply to cooked POM meals as I described in one of my emails. But the more backup we have from their office the better since it seems we get multiple answers that if not contradictory are at least perpendicular to one another.

A special Yasher Koach to you for following up so assiduously and updating us constantly. May Hashem bless you with the right to bring POM meals into NZ!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »
I think I specifically remember somebody mentioning that 2.3 would apply to cooked POM meals as I described in one of my emails.

I think that was me in post #110 above.

But the more backup we have from their office the better since it seems we get multiple answers that if not contradictory are at least perpendicular to one another.

So it seems, huh.

A special Yasher Koach to you for following up so assiduously and updating us constantly. May Hashem bless you with the right to bring POM meals into NZ!

Amen! :)

Offline ZCN

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2014, 08:26:46 PM »
Great job AJK in being so tenacious! I do agree with most of your conclusions.

I think there's only so much information that we can get from the customs office; what it's going to come down to is the inspector we get at customs. It's certainly helpful to have these emails that we can show in case of a problem but there's no guarantee it will be hlepful. I don't know how they do things in NZ but in the US I know that every customs officer has the right to do and interpet the laws as they belive it to be. If thats the case in NZ, we can show all the emails we want but it may not matter. I do hope I'm wrong....

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2014, 10:18:09 PM »
when i was there a year and a half ago, meal mart chicken was allowed but only those without bones. things might have changed though