Author Topic: True cost of tuition  (Read 6474 times)

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: True cost of tuition
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 11:04:16 AM »
Thank God that in the school system where I send my kids, this doesn't exist.
If I may ask, which school system do you participate in, and how is it avoided?

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 11:07:39 AM »
If I may ask, which school system do you participate in, and how is it avoided?

Belz. The system doesn't work this way. The administrator that would do this would be out in 123...
The problem in these schools is that there isn't a top authority over the administrator etc. The biggest problems aren't in the local homogeneous chassidishe schools that serve a particular chassidus.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »
Belz. The system doesn't work this way. The administrator that would do this would be out in 123...
The problem in these schools is that there isn't a top authority over the administrator etc. The biggest problems aren't in the local homogeneous chassidishe schools that serve a particular chassidus.
How does the system work in Belz? Everyone pays; no one pays? What do you mean by homogeneous chasidishe schools? Chabad schools in Crown Heights appear to have the issue, based on the source of the article.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 12:46:10 PM »
What in the world are you saying? In Belz there's no tuition? I heard there are some Chassidishe Mosdos that make the Chassidim pay for schools. If you work and can afford to help out, you have to. It makes it the achraious of the community. Is that what you're referring to? Why would the administrator be out 123? Very confusing. Please clarify.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 12:47:58 PM »
How does the system work in Belz? Everyone pays; no one pays? What do you mean by homogeneous chasidishe schools? Chabad schools in Crown Heights appear to have the issue, based on the source of the article.

It seems that Chabad is different in the way they handle it. I guess it's more like the litvishe schools.

It doesn't work with tax returns, it works with dealing with real people in the administrative office.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »
how is it avoided?
I would say it's avoided when chinuch is seen as a community obligation, not just a tool for school administrators to get rich...

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 12:55:07 PM »
I would say it's avoided when chinuch is seen as a community obligation, not just a tool for school administrators to get rich...
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 01:44:31 PM »
Sad to say it, but there are many places were the Tax Return tells a very small part of the story

Offline RT

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 01:46:46 PM »
Sad to say it, but there are many places were the Tax Return tells a very small part of the story
Sadder to say, people make fake tax returns to give the schools in order to get scholarships.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Sadder to say, people make fake tax returns to give the schools in order to get scholarships.

Never heard of it but I guess it shouldn't surprise me.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 03:24:42 PM »
Great article, but sadly not much will change...

Offline ganizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2013, 03:45:25 PM »
its a catch 22
schooling is expensive. teachers need to get paid...
in this economy its not easy to fundraise

on the other hand parents cant afford it.

imo - the chabad administrators are not raking it in, and the teachers def arent!!

bills are bills. the q is who has to cover it? the parents, the community, the school fundraiser?

and then the next upcoming crisis: we cant fire older teachers bec they have no retirement plan and they havent been paid enough all these years for them to put anything away.
or dealing with the stress of living on social security pittance when they are fired.
- yes there are teachers paid off the books, living off of benefits, side jobs...
but i personally know of teachers teaching 30 + years living from paycheck to paycheck (just barely)

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2013, 04:25:50 PM »
its a catch 22

imo - the chabad administrators are not raking it in, and the teachers def arent!!

bills are bills. the q is who has to cover it? the parents, the community, the school fundraiser?

and then the next upcoming crisis: we cant fire older teachers bec they have no retirement plan and they havent been paid enough all these years for them to put anything away.
or dealing with the stress of living on social security pittance when they are fired.
- yes there are teachers paid off the books, living off of benefits, side jobs...
but i personally know of teachers teaching 30 + years living from paycheck to paycheck (just barely)
+1000000000

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 04:36:01 PM »
What I see here is actually a bubble that is bursting. The core of this problem is not that the tuition is high - it's that the median income is too low.

Tuition in private school is high. Even "commercialized" private schools like OT or BR still operate on a tight budget, and are forced to rely heavily on tuition.

For the last 50 years or so, people were able to get away with raising a large family on a small income. It was sufficient to cover rent, food, tuition, camp and even summer vacation. Now, that is no longer the case.

People in our communities need to open their eyes and see that Hashem doesn't intend on giving you free lunch for saying Tehilim. He wants you to work, and, if necessary spend several years learning how to work. That's the plan.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2013, 05:38:46 PM »
its a catch 22

True.

And another glaring problem that is being skirted is that the schools are teaching that becoming a proffesional is forbidden. (At least in Chabad schools)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2013, 07:03:03 PM »
school administrators to get rich??? You have no clue. School administrators work for the school like everyone else, unless they happen to own it.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 01:57:59 AM »
school administrators to get rich??? You have no clue. School administrators work for the school like everyone else, unless they happen to own it.
So maybe "administrator" was the wrong word, but many schools have somebody at the top of the food chain raking it in (at the same time that they have no money to pay their teachers)

Offline aj26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 01:30:15 PM »
aren't a lot of people on ddf like kalman the k'sil.
If you make an extra $30-40k per year on cc bonuses for you and your wife, but don't report it...that's good money that could go towards tuition

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 01:35:25 PM »
If you make an extra $30-40k per year on cc bonuses for you and your wife, but don't report it...that's good money that could go towards tuition
What are you saying? It sounds like a gross and baseless accusation, which is based a logic that anyone who earns a living on the side steals from schools? Gavriel Ha'Gvir also earns an extra living. Why he doesn't earn easy cash by opening CC's is his decison. If he did he may have an easier time paying tutition as I hope many people here do thanks to sign up bonuses. Additionally many ddf'ers are able to learn in kollel thanks to CC's and miles. You are making some equivocations I am quit frankly repulsed by. CMIIW
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:40:24 PM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline RT

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »
No one on DDF would do that. Anyone on DDF will sell their points in order to pay tuition.  ;)