Author Topic: True cost of tuition  (Read 6384 times)

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
True cost of tuition
« on: May 09, 2013, 03:51:58 PM »
http://www.collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=25216&alias=4-profiles-of-tuition-payers

Well written article articulating the difficulties in measuring who should pay full tuition.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: True cost of tuition
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 04:00:11 PM »
Very true.

Making $100,000 as a frum Jew with a family is an extremely tough place to be as that article illustrates perfectly.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 04:04:30 PM »
Just awesome! I hope this is published in more news outlets.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 04:15:01 PM »
In the letter to the editor in the Jewish Press and Yated there were similar letters, from guys that just left learning to get a starter job making 45k and now the schools want them to pay up. And how he should have stayed learning, and the schools know the system, so they pay the Rabbaim and teachers just up to the lines, where they can still get all the benefits.

Offline Mutty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »
Incredible! This is what you call a dilemma with no known solution. Especially in the Brooklyn area. The schools need money to exist. They can't get it. Parents need their kids in school but have a problem paying the tuition. What's the answer? The only thing I heard recently are communities (outside of NY) that take on the responsibility as a community, and those that can help out do help out. You don't see that here in NY.
Many times you see the "tuition crisis" pop up. The problem is discussed over and over again, but not solutions. Are there any?
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 04:49:14 PM »
Really good read, with splendid use of figures.

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 04:54:16 PM »
Incredible! This is what you call a dilemma with no known solution. Especially in the Brooklyn area. The schools need money to exist. They can't get it. Parents need their kids in school but have a problem paying the tuition. What's the answer? The only thing I heard recently are communities (outside of NY) that take on the responsibility as a community, and those that can help out do help out. You don't see that here in NY.
Many times you see the "tuition crisis" pop up. The problem is discussed over and over again, but not solutions. Are there any?
I don't think there are any answers. We each need to do our best and keep on trying. I don't think we are going to fix the problem. But we should try as much as possible to help the problem.

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »
in the old days, the administrator would come out side with the prospective parent, and ask please "show me which car is yours?" that would have been an indication of reality ......... at that persons home..........

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 04:56:33 PM »
I know a guy similar to #4, he and his wife both working professionals but with 4 kids were far from living comfortably.  He went into his daughter's school's office to explain his situation and they gave him somewhat of a tuition break.  When, after filing his taxes, he realized that he'd made more than he'd expected for the year, he went back to the school to pay the difference.  Guys like this IMHO are the answer to the tuition crisis.

(should also be in JJ's new thread, I think)
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline RT

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 04:59:06 PM »
Finally, people understand why I can't afford baby formula!!! I'm not up to tuition yet..

Offline Let3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 05:01:21 PM »
well my parents have been paying what they thought was full tuition for many years while i was in yrshivah ( wont say which one) after being turned down for cuts couple times...
when they switched administraters my parents went in to give it another try ... and as waiting in new (fancy ) waiting area read a sign that said "full tuition $5000" (or so) ... suffice it to say they have been paying MORE then that last ten years!!!
that is a chutzpah of a moisad taking advantage of ppl...

Offline Let3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 06:09:02 PM »
so anyhow- was a great article!
and the reason why ppl (like me) are afraid to start out with a job when seems like its easier not having one ( unleaa you start with a salary or 150k+)

Offline judahk88

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »
I know a guy similar to #4, he and his wife both working professionals but with 4 kids were far from living comfortably.  He went into his daughter's school's office to explain his situation and they gave him somewhat of a tuition break.  When, after filing his taxes, he realized that he'd made more than he'd expected for the year, he went back to the school to pay the difference.  Guys like this IMHO are the answer to the tuition crisis.

That's a really nice story, if only the world can be more like that. You are lucky to be friends with such an erlich guy.

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 06:21:52 PM »
For some people it really comes down to priorities.  My mother worked part time when I was younger and her entire salary went toward tuitions for myself and my siblings.  She could easily not have worked and gotten a reduction, but paying full tuition was a priority of my parents'.  Obviously, there are other considerations, but if more people realized the importance of tuition, the schools would have more money.

Offline SamKey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 07:00:29 PM »
For some people it really comes down to priorities.  My mother worked part time when I was younger and her entire salary went toward tuitions for myself and my siblings.  She could easily not have worked and gotten a reduction, but paying full tuition was a priority of my parents'.  Obviously, there are other considerations, but if more people realized the importance of tuition, the schools would have more money.
+100 Would you walk in to a grocery and ask for a discount? PPL think that full payment is more than what they are receiving
But yes for a family of 10 living in NY total costs to put kids thru school is 1,000,0000+

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 07:23:44 PM »

You could count on one hand how many people have done that, unfortunately
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline DovtheBear

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 08:15:12 PM »
Very nice article.
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"

Online moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 11:35:00 PM »
+100 Would you walk in to a grocery and ask for a discount? PPL think that full payment is more than what they are receiving
But yes for a family of 10 living in NY total costs to put kids thru school is 1,000,0000+
interesting comparison, I would compare it to larger purchases like house rent or a car, which people do  negotiate on.
there is the moral standpoint not to compare it to any of these being that it is considered by most to be a more important cost
To me it is understandable that the school expects  tuition to be proportionate to income and expenses  (of course min. tuition is understandable). Being that they are really providing a community service due to the necessity of torah day school education, unlike secular private schools which are generally viewed by many as a luxury, as important as it is for us not to shirk our tuition responsibility, it is incumbent on the school/community to provide a torah education for those more needy than us

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Jewish School Tuition
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »
Tuition is now at an all time high. An average student costs $15,000 (national average) for a Jewish school servicing K-12.

How can anyone justify this or pay this even if they bring in $200K/year, which is in in the top 3% of wage earners.

I just wanted to start a thread to discuss what, if any, options there are that people have seen or to just discuss this with the group.

A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 10:37:49 AM »
This is an AMAZING article. The writer has some talent.

Thank God that in the school system where I send my kids, this doesn't exist.