Author Topic: Watta You Do When Someone Blocks Your Driveway?  (Read 22757 times)

Offline raphy781

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Watta You Do When Someone Blocks Your Driveway?
« on: May 10, 2013, 04:47:30 PM »
Anyone living in Brooklyn knows how annoying it is when someone leaves their car right in front of your driveway for an extended period of time.
Some people leave notes on the windshield requesting that the car not be left there again. I find that not to be effective so today when someone blocked my neighbor's driveway for like the hundredth time I colored all over the windows with window markers:)... hope they learned their lesson:P
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:56:35 PM by raphy781 »

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Watta You Do When Someone Blocks Your Driveway?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 04:48:33 PM »
Anyone living in Brooklyn knows how annoying it is when someone leaves their car right in front of your driveway for an extended period of time.
Some people leave notes on the windshield requesting that the car not be left there again. I find that not to be effective so today when someone blocked my driveway I colored all over the windows with window markers:))... hope they learned their lesson:P

Lol. I have a relative that lives in NY that keeps a carton of eggs in the backseat for just that purpose.
But the markers is pretty funny. Did you write anything?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline raphy781

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 04:58:53 PM »
Lol. I have a relative that lives in NY that keeps a carton of eggs in the backseat for just that purpose.
But the markers is pretty funny. Did you write anything?
They were all nervous that the person would go crazy, so I wrote "do not block my neighbors driveway as it causes them to borrow mine and leaves me with no place to park". In addition I made all kind of designs^-^

Offline chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 05:03:14 PM »
Some people leave notes on the windshield requesting that the car not be left there again. I find that not to be effective so today when someone blocked my neighbor's driveway for like the hundredth time I colored all over the windows with window markers:)... hope they learned their lesson:P

Oh wow. Only the best ideas can be learned from this forum :)
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 05:05:58 PM »
on my block we "do do not park" stickers

Offline real-brisker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 05:36:33 PM »
Halachicly you may be able to smash his car in order to go out.

Online Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 05:39:21 PM »
Immediately knew you must be taking about Brooklyn when I saw the thread topic. Really hilarious, can't imagine anywhere else in the world this would happen
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 05:40:41 PM »
A can of motor oil on the windsheild works also.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline raphy781

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »
How do you do that without destroying your own car as well?

Offline raphy781

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 05:46:10 PM »
Immediately knew you must be taking about Brooklyn when I saw the thread topic. Really hilarious, can't imagine anywhere else in the world this would happen
The driveway blocking or the makers?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 05:52:33 PM »
Not sure what heter you had to do that (We pasken אדם עושה דין לעצמו but that only allows you to move the car, not to penalize the owner), you are probably mechuyav to pay whatever it cost to clean and must ask mechila
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline lfas25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 05:54:42 PM »
For those of you that know Lakewood, Satmar is around the corner from my parents house. (the local minyan factory)
People are always blocking our driveway usually partially, so my father started putting stickers on the middle of the windshield so it blocks the view of the driver and usually sliced it into several pieces so it can't be easily removed, and wrote "according to halacha your davining was just pointless as your stealing" or something along those lines and he would put down where it says that.

One time someone totally blocked it as if it didn't even exist, that time I called the police and they ticketed him. (when I called the police I did mention that I am on the local fire dept and he was blocking my car, the cops showed up very quickly)
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 06:01:30 PM »
My father would use a bar of soap to write the "do not block" message. non-damaging but annoying to remove...

@Dan, How do the Beachwood folks deal with this? :)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 06:02:33 PM »
For those of you that know Lakewood, Satmar is around the corner from my parents house. (the local minyan factory)
People are always blocking our driveway usually partially, so my father started putting stickers on the middle of the windshield so it blocks the view of the driver and usually sliced it into several pieces so it can't be easily removed, and wrote "according to halacha your davining was just pointless as your stealing" or something along those lines and he would put down where it says that.

One time someone totally blocked it as if it didn't even exist, that time I called the police and they ticketed him. (when I called the police I did mention that I am on the local fire dept and he was blocking my car, the cops showed up very quickly)

Source?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 06:04:17 PM »
I have issues with the guys driving like crazy rushing to shul in the mornings and nearly causing accidents.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 06:04:49 PM »
Not sure what heter you had to do that (We pasken אדם עושה דין לעצמו but that only allows you to move the car, not to penalize the owner), you are probably mechuyav to pay whatever it cost to clean and must ask mechila
He Probably meant: הממלא חצר חבירו כדי יין וכדי שמן: בעל החצר משבר ויוצא, משבר ונכנס (Bava Kamma 28a). I'm pretty sure that isn't Lahalachah though.

Offline lfas25

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 06:25:03 PM »
Source?

Medrash Raba Parshas Noach and other places.
It says gnevah stops tefilos from being heard.
*this is what my father told me

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 06:31:05 PM »
He Probably meant: הממלא חצר חבירו כדי יין וכדי שמן: בעל החצר משבר ויוצא, משבר ונכנס (Bava Kamma 28a).
אדם עושה דין לעצמו but that only allows you to move the car, not to penalize the owner
I'm pretty sure that isn't Lahalachah though.

2.     שולחן ערוך חושן משפט סימן ד

יכול אדם לעשות דין לעצמו; אם רואה שלו ביד אחר שגזלו, יכול לקחתו מידו; ואם האחר עומד כנגדו, יכול להכותו עד שיניחנו, (אם לא יוכל להציל בענין אחר), אפילו הוא דבר שאין בו הפסד אם ימתין עד שיעמידנו בדין, והוא שיוכל לברר ששלו הוא נוטל בדין; מ"מ אין לו רשות למשכנו בחובו. הגה: מטעם שיתבאר לקמן סימן צ"ז סעיף ו'. וי"א דווקא בחובו ממש, אבל אם חייב לו בלא הלוואה, או שאין צריך למשכנו כי הוא כבר אצלו בפקדון או מצאו ביד אחר, מותר לתפסו (ריב"ש סי' שצו). וי"א דלא אמרינן עביד אינש דינא לנפשיה רק בחפץ המבורר לו שהוא שלו, כגון שגזלו או רוצה לגוזלו או רוצה להזיקו, יכול להציל שלו. אבל אם כבר נתחייב לו מכח גזילה או ממקום אחר, לא. ודווקא הוא בעצמו יכול למעבד דינא לנפשיה, אבל אסור לעשות על ידי עובדי כוכבים, מיהו אם עבר ועשה על ידי העו"ג, אם לא היה יכול להציל שלו בענין אחר, מה שעשה עשוי. י"א דלא מיקרי עביד דינא לנפשיה אלא כשמזיק לחבירו, כגון שמכהו ולכן לא יוכל לעשות אלא אם כן יוכל לברר שהוא שלו, אבל תפיסה בעלמא שתפסו למשכון, יכול לעשות בכל ענין, ויורד אח"כ עמו לדין.
You would need that to be less טרחה than calling the owner/police/tow company.

Medrash Raba Parshas Noach and other places.
It says gnevah stops tefilos from being heard.
*this is what my father told me
There is a chiyuv and 'point' to daven even if RCH"L the davening will not be heard

Blocking a driveway (or squatting in a house) for many reasons will not come close to the halachic criteria of גנב (although there are obviously other דיני ממונות)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:37:39 PM by PlatinumGuy »

Offline lfas25

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 07:16:02 PM »

Blocking a driveway (or squatting in a house) for many reasons will not come close to the halachic criteria of גנב (although there are obviously other דיני ממונות)

stealing time?

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 07:25:56 PM »
Calling the police might be a shaileh of mesirah.

The best option is to have a tube or a bottle of shampoo in your trunk.
You can use it to make smiles on the windows, or even write happy purim, why do you block my driveway? Or whatever.
No shailos involved and works wonderful.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.