Author Topic: 2 USA passports  (Read 2832 times)

Offline andrew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
2 USA passports
« on: May 11, 2013, 03:18:42 PM »
from FG
The US State Department’s policy clearly states that, “No person should be in possession of more than one valid, or potentially valid, U.S. passport at any time unless specifically authorized by the Department of State.”  The key phrase here is “unless specifically authorized,” which is clarified further with this statement: “The issuance of a second valid passport should be considered an exception to the regulations, and is to be approved on an individual basis only where justified.” So, you can apply for a second passport. I did some research on how to secure the second passport and ran across Volume 7 of the Manual published by the US Department of Foreign Affairs which provided much more information than the actual US State Department website. Check out the Foreign Affairs second passport appendix. It’s actually an interesting read with insight as to which situations are deemed appropriate for the issuance of the second passport for US citizens and which are not. Two legitimate reasons for a second US passport include: When a foreign country will deny a visa or entry to the bearer of a passport containing markings for visas showing travel to certain other countries (examples are listed in the manual link above). When a passport needed for immediate travel is unavailable due to prolonged delays in processing a foreign visa application, or some other foreign governmental process for which the passport was required. So what do you have to do to apply for a second US passport? 1. Complete a passport application form DS-11 or DS-82. 2. Write a brief letter stating the reason you need a second passport and include the statement that you attest that the loss of either passport will be reported immediately to Passport Services or the nearest U.S. embassy, consulate or consular agency. 3. Include any confirmed itinerary for upcoming travel that would validate your need for a second passport (back to back international trips where visas are needed, visiting the middle east, etc). 4. Submit proof of U.S. citizenship by including your current passport. If you cannot include your passport, you will need to apply in person with other proof of citizenship and complete form DS-11. 5. Staple one passport photo to the application. 6. Include the appropriate fees and send to the address on the application by certified mail and enclose a pre-addressed postage paid return envelope. Second passports are only valid for two years and cannot be renewed, but additional pages can be requested while the passport is still valid.

Read more at: A Backup US Passport? It’s Possible. | Frugal Travel Guy

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: 2 USA passports
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »
I have had 2 us passports for many years in the past-- they were always stamped with - " only good for travel to......."

once they forgot to stamp when i renewed , convenient for some things without a stamp 

Offline danfan5773

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 01:56:46 PM »
why would 1 need 2 passports?

Offline shmayaH

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »
I had 2 us passports authorized by the state dept. They asked me to explain why I need it I said I would like to travel to syria but my passport has Israeli stamps. They had no problem.it was only valid for 2 years though.

Offline sammy n

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 01:10:49 PM »
Not sure this is the right thread but cant seem to find anything else...
Anyway I applied for a passport for my kid and they asked if I plan on flying anytime soon so I said yes, so he said in that case he"ll give me a temporary passport so i can fly right away I just need to send in a itinerary with a E-ticket number and then they"ll give it to me.
Question: Does anyone know if the temporary passport is connected to the ticket that I send in and I"ll only be able to fly whatever itinerary I give them? Or in order for them to process a temporary passport they just need to see that I"m actually flying? TIA

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 01:14:11 PM »
Once you have a passport you can fly any ticket.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline sammy n

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 12:52:14 AM »

Once you have a passport you can fly any ticket.
Your referring even to a temporary passport?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 03:58:53 AM »
A ticket is associated to name. EVERYTHING else can be inaccurate or adjusted at gate.

Second passport isn't as useful as it may sound bc you will have a hard time leaving a country on a passport that's different than the one you entered on.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline JoeCha

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club, Expedia+ Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 07:13:53 AM »
I'm not sure that's accurate.

I know someone who had his US passport taken away in Israel by the police pending a court appearance, he simply went to the US consulate, ordered a new passport and left the country.

IIRC, they asked him a few extra questions even leaving (why his passport is new or temporary - I don't remember exactly) but it wasn't much of a big deal.
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 09:48:25 AM »

I'm not sure that's accurate.

I know someone who had his US passport taken away in Israel by the police pending a court appearance, he simply went to the US consulate, ordered a new passport and left the country.

IIRC, they asked him a few extra questions even leaving (why his passport is new or temporary - I don't remember exactly) but it wasn't much of a big deal.
Simple he lost it
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline keemster26

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 01:52:10 PM »
Random question. Do I need a passport to book an international flight? I want to book a flight but my passport is coming in the mail? Thanks

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 01:56:15 PM »
Random question. Do I need a passport to book an international flight? I want to book a flight but my passport is coming in the mail? Thanks

Why do you need the passport to book it?
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline keemster26

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 01:56:52 PM »
Why do you need the passport to book it?
Idk. Jw.

Offline Hatastah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 01:59:30 PM »

Idk. Jw.
Some airlines will ask for a passport number when you book. Likely the checkin agent can add the info. Probably there just to expedite things at the airport

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »
Idk. Jw.
And it's a good idea to double check that the name on your ticket is the same as what's on your passport.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline keemster26

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 02:25:09 PM »
And it's a good idea to double check that the name on your ticket is the same as what's on your passport.
Correct. Thanks