Author Topic: Went through the process of house hunting/buying  (Read 118150 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Went through the process of house hunting/buying
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2015, 10:40:39 AM »
Anyone have a good home inspector they can recommend in the long island area?
http://www.simonhometechinc.com/Home_Page.html

We used this guy once. We didn't end up buying that house, and then he wasn't available in the short timeframe we needed to inspect the house we eventually bought. He's cheap (it was $400 for a standard KGH attached house 2+ years ago), and very thorough. English is probably not his first language, but it didn't cause any problems at all. I wasn't there for our second inspection, but my wife felt the second guy was much less thorough than this guy. He takes you around, explains everything he's inspecting, which can really help you get a head start on understanding what's what in a house.

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2015, 10:42:24 AM »

We used this guy once. We didn't end up buying that house, and then he wasn't available in the short timeframe we needed to inspect the house we eventually bought. He's cheap (it was $400 for a standard KGH attached house 2+ years ago), and very thorough. English is probably not his first language, but it didn't cause any problems at all. I wasn't there for our second inspection, but my wife felt the second guy was much less thorough than this guy. He takes you around, explains everything he's inspecting, which can really help you get a head start on understanding what's what in a house.
Ok thanks i really don't care about being cheap when making an investment like this. Need to be someone i feel is doing a really good job

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2015, 10:50:13 AM »
Ok thanks i really don't care about being cheap when making an investment like this. Need to be someone i feel is doing a really good job
Well, I can pretty much guarantee that paying someone a lot more is not going to change that part. My point was that we felt he did a really good job, and at a great price to boot. If you can't appreciate that, you might have to turn in your DDF membership card  ;D

Offline srf60

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2015, 12:40:52 PM »

NYC I would have more ideas.

What do you recommend for NYC? TIA

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2015, 10:01:28 PM »

Thank you. I Used him today don't have what to compare against but he seemed very thorough and explained everything which i am told is not typical

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2015, 10:13:44 PM »
Thank you. I Used him today don't have what to compare against but he seemed very thorough and explained everything which i am told is not typical
Glad to hear it. Hatzlacha with the house :)

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
Anyone have any info advice on buying a home with an abandoned oil tank? The seller has a certificate showing it was done properly but based on what an reading and hearing that doesn't mean much and if there's a leak it could cost me a fortune.... Any info appreciated. Thanks

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2015, 10:42:02 AM »
Anyone have any info advice on buying a home with an abandoned oil tank? The seller has a certificate showing it was done properly but based on what an reading and hearing that doesn't mean much and if there's a leak it could cost me a fortune.... Any info appreciated. Thanks
Wouldn't it be worth just having it removed? How much could it cost already, relative to the costs involved in buying the house?

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2015, 10:44:09 AM »
Wouldn't it be worth just having it removed? How much could it cost already, relative to the costs involved in buying the house?
I can't remove it until i own it and then i risk discovering a leak.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2015, 10:47:18 AM »
I can't remove it until i own it and then i risk discovering a leak.
You can put it as a condition of the sale that the seller remove it before closing and get whatever certification that it's been done properly.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2015, 10:52:06 AM »
You can put it as a condition of the sale that the seller remove it before closing and get whatever certification that it's been done properly.
Is that commonly done? I'm afraid he will balk at that? What does a removaly typically cost

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 12, 2015, 03:38:20 PM »
Is that commonly done? I'm afraid he will balk at that? What does a removaly typically cost
Speak with your attorney whos negotiating the contract. There are often stipulations in the contract about certain work that needs to be done before closing.

Alternatively, if you don't mind the tank staying as long as it's not a hazard, you can stipulate in the contract that an assessment be done by a mutually agreeable third party (Id have the seller pay) as to the potential of hazards relating to the oil tank in its current state. If potential for hazard exists, then they need to remove before closing.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2015, 03:48:45 PM »
It is very common. Have the sale be contingent on tank removal. as well, there are numerous innocent landowner laws, depending on the state you live in, that can protect you.

Depending on the type and size of the tank, it can cost anywhere from $2,000 - $10,000 and more to remove.

Do not purchase without a contingency.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2015, 03:54:44 PM »
It is very common. Have the sale be contingent on tank removal. as well, there are numerous innocent landowner laws, depending on the state you live in, that can protect you.

Depending on the type and size of the tank, it can cost anywhere from $2,000 - $10,000 and more to remove.

Do not purchase without a contingency.
They are saying they can provide documentation that a county inspector was onsite when it's was abandoned, out was pressure tested for any leaks and it was cut in half and filled with sand after the leak test. They refused to Moshe it contingent on removing it.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2015, 03:56:02 PM »
Speak with your attorney whos negotiating the contract. There are often stipulations in the contract about certain work that needs to be done before closing.

Alternatively, if you don't mind the tank staying as long as it's not a hazard, you can stipulate in the contract that an assessment be done by a mutually agreeable third party (Id have the seller pay) as to the potential of hazards relating to the oil tank in its current state. If potential for hazard exists, then they need to remove before closing.
I  am speaking to my attorny but legally what they are doing is fine ultimately it's up to me to decide what i am comfortable with

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2015, 07:57:26 PM »
Any reason not to submit a mortgage application to 2 brokers and see which gives you a better deal?

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2015, 08:01:26 PM »
Any reason not to submit a mortgage application to 2 brokers and see which gives you a better deal?
2 hard hits on your credit

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2015, 08:03:05 PM »
2 hard hits on your credit
I have very good credit now after one was done already doubt it will go down much and the expense of buying a house is a lot more important than being able to get another cc now

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2015, 08:45:35 PM »
I  am speaking to my attorny but legally what they are doing is fine ultimately it's up to me to decide what i am comfortable with
Don't forget that the issue isn't going away. If the tank stays, it may come to haunt you when you're ready to sell.

I would try to convince the seller that he won't be able sell the property at this price without taking care of the tank. He should either remove it or lower the purchase price. Best if you can have the broker chew his ear off about it until he agrees.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2015, 09:09:05 PM »
Don't forget that the issue isn't going away. If the tank stays, it may come to haunt you when you're ready to sell.

I would try to convince the seller that he won't be able sell the property at this price without taking care of the tank. He should either remove it or lower the purchase price. Best if you can have the broker chew his ear off about it until he agrees.
When you say broker duo you mean the real estate agent? Bc both my agent and theirs is saying they never ever heard of a buyer requiring it to be removed