Author Topic: CITI ThankYou points - insurance claims BEWARE  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Gabbai

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
CITI ThankYou points - insurance claims BEWARE
« on: July 16, 2017, 04:42:44 AM »
A few months ago I made a Baggage Delay Protection claim on my Citi Prestige card. The claim itself was dealt with quickly and efficiently. The agreed reimbursement for items purchased was credited to my Prestige card account which was simpler for me than requesting a check in the mail. However I later noticed that as well as gaining the amount of the claim, I lost the equivalent number of ThankYou points. The payment into my account was treated as a refund not a credit, even though the items bought were not charged to this Citi card. When I queried this with Citi they emailed me "Sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused you. Please accept these courtesy ThankYouŽ Points as a token of our commitment to you." I had requested credit for the points deducted, and also some additional courtesy ThankYouŽ Points and confirmation that if this was a system error it would be corrected. Citi only gave me the points wrongly deducted. If it is a system error it seems to me that there are grounds for a class action claim. An insurance claim settlement is not a refund and no points should be deducted. I only noticed this several months later and it took some time to work out what had happened which was why I asked for some gesture over and above the points clearly due to me. If you have had any insurance claim agreed by Citi and have had the settlement credited to your credit card account, check to see if Citi deducted points from you!

Online bznt

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: CITI ThankYou points - insurance claims BEWARE
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:04:07 AM »
How did you file and approve a claim on their card when you did not charge the original purchase on this card ?

Offline Gabbai

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 08:19:22 AM »
I charged the airline ticket to the Citi Premier account. I did not charge the goods I bought when my baggage didn't arrive on time to the same Citi account.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 11:11:57 AM »
"The agreed reimbursement for items purchased was credited to my Prestige card account which was simpler for me than requesting a check in the mail."

Next time, take the check and you won't have this issue.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Gabbai

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 11:16:56 AM »
No reason to do that at all. It is far easier to take an electronic credit than a check. Citi should program their system properly. How many hundreds [at least] of people do you think this may have happened to without their noticing?

Offline greathummer7

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 06:10:02 PM »
No reason to do that at all. It is far easier to take an electronic credit than a check. Citi should program their system properly. How many hundreds [at least] of people do you think this may have happened to without their noticing?

Did not notice, took the check option. I'd like the flexibility of choosing where to deposit.