Author Topic: Priceline pay when you stay option  (Read 14825 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Priceline pay when you stay option
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 06:30:58 PM »
you still get the plat benefits.
at SPG or Hyatt?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 08:07:14 AM »
I'm pissed, but it was my mistake. I put in a bid for CLE for 2 rooms, 2 star for $135 all in, and it came back approved. Later when I check Kayak I saw the hotel they gave me could have been had for $120 direct.

Oh well. Serves me right. Anything to do about it?
-Eli

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 09:25:30 AM »
I'm pissed, but it was my mistake. I put in a bid for CLE for 2 rooms, 2 star for $135 all in, and it came back approved. Later when I check Kayak I saw the hotel they gave me could have been had for $120 direct.

Oh well. Serves me right. Anything to do about it?

sorry bout that, but thats why myself and others have always posted, Do yur Homework! = checkout what betterbidding & biddingfortravel to see Failed and Winning bids before actually going to PL and bidding. Also theres a Sticky on thsoe sites telling everyone to make sure they also checkout and see what the reg rates are going for Travelocity,expedia,orbitz,kayak , reg priceline can answer this

that said I usually can get a 4-5* for the amount you paid for that 2*. Normally Id think you should have paid 1/2 of what you did for a 2*. Also this is why PLs stk price is so high, people just dont do their Homework and end up Way Over Paying

Do a search on FT on this Forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies-204/ 

Im sure you arent the 1st person to do this, if anything they might refund the difference to match the lower reg rate

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 09:36:19 AM »
Well, I was searching for specifically the area around Telshe Yeshiva so there was only one 3 star hotel and a few 2 star hotels. I tried $150 for 2 rooms (I mean $150 total) on the 3 star and it got denied so I did $135 for a 2 star.
-Eli

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 10:01:54 AM »
Well, I was searching for specifically the area around Telshe Yeshiva so there was only one 3 star hotel and a few 2 star hotels. I tried $150 for 2 rooms (I mean $150 total) on the 3 star and it got denied so I did $135 for a 2 star.

(as usual what I post is not only towards you but others as well)

Once you were Denied on the 3* , before bidding on a 2* you needed to do your Homework all over if the 1st time you werent paying attention to anything but 3*s. When I wasnt successful on a 3-4 * place , I had no idea what Hotels by SFO were 2 1/2 *s and when I went over BB & BFT I didnt pay attention to anything under a 3*. Also I had to narrow my zones since many Hotels that are 2 1/2 and less dont have a free shuttle to/from the airport, so no sense getting something where Id have to cab it

I personally dont do my Homework on everything but just the Level Im looking to Win, once I need to change that I start all over and make believe I never even reseached anything, why? in order to prevent what happened to you

Lastly depending when the Hotel is needed determines how high I will bid, if I need it within the next say week, no room to wait.If its anywhere from a few weeks+ out no need to choke yet and I will walk away and come back another day for another go at it. Its like eBay where you NEVER want to get so involved that you now are offering more then you wanted to, Ive seen where it was possible to buy the same exact item from the same exact seller but at Buy It Now for $$ less then it was up to on the auction. People just get so involved and take it personally that they dont want anyone to out bid them. Heck at times its even cheaper simply walking into aretail store and buying it. PL is the same except your bidding against the site and not some shrill whos there to cause the price to go up.

So aperson should 1- check the reg travel sites for what the going rates are

2- check BB & BFT for both winning and lossing bids (make sure you know which were for weekday and weekend)

3- determine how much you are willing to pay All IN (including PL fees and taxes) before even bidding

4- build up to the your final $ amount in #3 dont start with it

5- be prepared to Walk Away, at some price it doesnt pay to use PL since its non-refundable, Id rather pay a few $$ more and know I can CX it or whatever then be locked into it and be saving only a few $s

6- just cause you didnt get a bite at $150 for a 3* doesnt mean you couldnt have gotten a 2* for $35+ per room