Author Topic: MLB Master Thread  (Read 203151 times)

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: MLB Master Thread
« Reply #3375 on: January 14, 2020, 11:36:43 AM »
I think Hinch gets hired for 2022 season
Luhnow had a bad look today saying he was just an innocent bystander. He's had multiple issues over the past year. I think for him this is a more long term issue. I don't think he is a GM again for a long time
Cora gets two years and doesn't get a new job till 2024/2025
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: January 14, 2020, 11:40:46 AM »
I think lunhow lands as a special assistant somewhere. Hinch I'm not sure. If he's viewed as someone worth keeping, not sure why the Astros would just fire him on the spot.

Offline mercaz1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: January 14, 2020, 11:53:23 AM »
I think lunhow lands as a special assistant somewhere. Hinch I'm not sure. If he's viewed as someone worth keeping, not sure why the Astros would just fire him on the spot.
they fired him so the owner can claim he is doing something to clean house as he kept claiming he knew nothing about the sign stealing

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: January 14, 2020, 12:42:36 PM »
Look, there's no real way to vacate a championship. But I do think this is a tainted championship. Especially since it's been well documented for years that detecting  tipping pitches was a huge part of this team, especially from Beltran. So now to find out that there was some degree of cheating involved with that is infuriating.

Agree with you here - with one caveat - I am assuming by "Tipping Pitches" you mean stealing signs  - there is a huge difference:

- Stealing signs= another player or staff member decodes the signs that the catcher gives the pitcher, and tips off the player.
- Tipping pitches = the pitcher's delivery or the catcher's stance/setup position enable the player to determine what pitch is coming

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: January 14, 2020, 12:45:57 PM »
Agree with you here - with one caveat - I am assuming by "Tipping Pitches" you mean stealing signs  - there is a huge difference:

- Stealing signs= another player or staff member decodes the signs that the catcher gives the pitcher, and tips off the player.
- Tipping pitches = the pitcher's delivery or the catcher's stance/setup position enable the player to determine what pitch is coming
The Astros bragged about recognizing when pitchers were tipping, specifically Beltran. It's covered in detail in "Astroball". To find out that some or all of that was actually illegal sign stealing is damming.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: January 14, 2020, 12:51:01 PM »
The Astros bragged about recognizing when pitchers were tipping, specifically Beltran. It's covered in detail in "Astroball". To find out that some or all of that was actually illegal sign stealing is damming.

They definitely have lost all credibility in saying they could identify 'tipping pitches', that's for sure - no matter how true it is.

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: January 14, 2020, 12:57:06 PM »
are these punishments enough to curtail this type of cheating or is it not enough?

how many owners would give up 4 picks, 5 million and their GM and Manager (technically only for a year) to win a World Series?

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: January 14, 2020, 01:04:28 PM »
are these punishments enough to curtail this type of cheating or is it not enough?

how many owners would give up 4 picks, 5 million and their GM and Manager (technically only for a year) to win a World Series?

My guess is this is round one. The next team that does this might not get off as easily.

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: January 14, 2020, 01:07:09 PM »
My guess is this is round one. The next team that does this might not get off as easily.

what more can they do unless they find that the owner was in on it then maybe they can ban or suspend him
 but I dont think they can take the team away and 5 million is the max that they can be fined under MLB constitution and that number is not high enough to deter this

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: January 14, 2020, 01:45:05 PM »
Don't matter at this point if an owner would do it - no way you get a manager or GM to condone this if it costs him multiple years away from the game
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: January 14, 2020, 01:48:52 PM »
It's also a false equation - no way that sign stealing has that much statistical chance of increasing odds of winning the WS - unless you're literally doing this during game 7 of the world series.

Offline dealfinder11

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: January 14, 2020, 01:58:23 PM »
Would not put it past MLB to give him a lifetime ban.

I feel like if it were going to be a 1 year suspension plus whatever the red Sox investigation shows, they would have announced the first year yesterday. That they didn't tells me that these penalties will compound into something pretty severe.

-1 . Sets too strong a precedence. Especially with the pandoras box that might be opened.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: January 14, 2020, 02:06:04 PM »

Come on, their pitch tipping recognition has been clear to see in some instances. Listen to other players talking about how Beltran has helped them. The cheating was bad, but don't underestimate their skills.
Quote from: ExGingi
Yehuda57 needs to spew a certain amount of sarcasm in order to survive through the day.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: January 14, 2020, 03:46:33 PM »
what more can they do unless they find that the owner was in on it then maybe they can ban or suspend him
 but I dont think they can take the team away and 5 million is the max that they can be fined under MLB constitution and that number is not high enough to deter this

Lifetime bans, punishing players as well (even if it means fighting with the MLBPA over it in the next CBA). Look at what happens with drugs - first and second offenses are nowhere near as long as 3rd offense

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: January 14, 2020, 08:07:09 PM »
Cora fired. Or "mutually parted ways"