Author Topic: MLB Master Thread  (Read 596726 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: MLB
« Reply #860 on: October 26, 2016, 02:10:20 AM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 26, 2016, 09:21:31 AM »
Cubs are still favorites in the series and a big favorite tonight. Must be a lot of CHI money out there.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #862 on: October 26, 2016, 12:13:06 PM »
Did you know the team with the most rest has lost 9 out of the last ten WS?
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/playoffs16_cubsintrouble/why-chicago-cubs-more-trouble-think

O[ver the past three decades, almost every team that lost Game 1 of the World Series found it had just dug itself a canyon it couldn't climb out of. It's tough to comprehend, but Game 1 losers have lost the past six World Series. And 12 of the past 13. And 17 of the past 19. Not to mention 19 of the past 22 and 24 of the past 28. Going all the way back to 1997, the only two teams to lose Game 1 and survive were the 2009 Yankees and the 2002 Angels. Hard to believe in a best-of-seven series, but 100 percent true.

• Then there's the Cubs' own not-so-beautiful history when they lose Game 1 of any postseason series. Tuesday's Game 1 loss in Cleveland marked the 14th time the Cubs had lost the opener of any type of series. They went 1-12 in the previous 13, coming back to win only in the 2015 NLDS against St. Louis.

• If we confine this study just to best-of-seven series, it gets even more ominous. The Cubs now have lost Game 1 of a best-of-seven series 10 times. They're 0-9 in the previous nine. Then again, they're the Cubs! So losing series in just about every way possible has been one of their areas of expertise.

• Finally, the Cubs have now been shut out three times in this postseason. Of the seven previous teams to get blanked three times or more in the same postseason, just one -- the 1981 Dodgers -- went on to win the World Series. /quote]
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Barryg

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 26, 2016, 01:22:56 PM »
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/playoffs16_cubsintrouble/why-chicago-cubs-more-trouble-think

O[ver the past three decades, almost every team that lost Game 1 of the World Series found it had just dug itself a canyon it couldn't climb out of. It's tough to comprehend, but Game 1 losers have lost the past six World Series. And 12 of the past 13. And 17 of the past 19. Not to mention 19 of the past 22 and 24 of the past 28. Going all the way back to 1997, the only two teams to lose Game 1 and survive were the 2009 Yankees and the 2002 Angels. Hard to believe in a best-of-seven series, but 100 percent true.

• Then there's the Cubs' own not-so-beautiful history when they lose Game 1 of any postseason series. Tuesday's Game 1 loss in Cleveland marked the 14th time the Cubs had lost the opener of any type of series. They went 1-12 in the previous 13, coming back to win only in the 2015 NLDS against St. Louis.

• If we confine this study just to best-of-seven series, it gets even more ominous. The Cubs now have lost Game 1 of a best-of-seven series 10 times. They're 0-9 in the previous nine. Then again, they're the Cubs! So losing series in just about every way possible has been one of their areas of expertise.

• Finally, the Cubs have now been shut out three times in this postseason. Of the seven previous teams to get blanked three times or more in the same postseason, just one -- the 1981 Dodgers -- went on to win the World Series. /quote]
If the Cubs win tonight you'll see articles saying how the road team "stealing one of the first two games" won the series (insert high percentage) of the time.
Cubs in 5.  :P

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #864 on: October 26, 2016, 01:41:03 PM »
If the Cubs win tonight you'll see articles saying how the road team "stealing one of the first two games" won the series (insert high percentage) of the time.
That was my point... Not too many of these statistics mean much.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #865 on: October 26, 2016, 01:42:57 PM »
What's the series line now?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 26, 2016, 03:10:39 PM »
What's the series line now?
Cubs -115 CLE +105 as of this morning

Cubs were -160 this morning for tonight's game. Now down to -134. Not sure if I have seen these big moves before.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:16:28 PM by JTZ »
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 26, 2016, 03:20:34 PM »
Cubs -115 CLE +105 as of this morning

Cubs were -160 this morning for tonight's game. Now down to -134. Not sure if I have seen these big moves before.
Fans getting cold feet in ChiTown or is Cleveland having a lot of hope?

Everyone here are covered in Indians gear.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 26, 2016, 03:26:44 PM »
Everyone here are covered in Indians gear.
I would buy everything in site with Chief Wahoo on it. He is a -190 to be around next year.  :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 26, 2016, 03:34:11 PM »
I would buy everything in site with Chief Wahoo on it. He is a -190 to be around next year.  :)
Casualty of war.
Will be worth it if he brings home the trophy.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: October 26, 2016, 03:41:18 PM »
Will be worth it if he brings home the trophy.
...and if he doesn't he still is likely gone.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 26, 2016, 03:54:30 PM »
Bunch of cry babies that don't like seeing the Idians skin a baby cub

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 26, 2016, 03:57:23 PM »
Do they sing "Wild Thing" at the games?

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 26, 2016, 03:59:13 PM »
Bunch of cry babies that don't like seeing the Idians skin a baby cub
I wonder how they will react when they see a bunch of cubs clobbering some Indians?  :P

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 26, 2016, 04:02:57 PM »
Do they sing "Wild Thing" at the games?
Come tonight and fund out. Tickets just fell to less than $500. As they always do day of the game.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 26, 2016, 04:04:52 PM »
Come tonight and fund out. Tickets just fell to less than $500. As they always do day of the game.
I will have a great warm seat for the game.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 26, 2016, 04:06:04 PM »
I will have a great warm seat for the game.
Lame.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 26, 2016, 04:09:53 PM »
Lame.
That would describe playing baseball at this time of the year.

I can't wait for Sundays game. I will be able to get Hawks tickets for a steal.  :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 26, 2016, 04:11:23 PM »
That would describe playing baseball at this time of the year.
True. Regular season needs to end mid-September. ALDS/NLDS needs to go to 7 games.

Offline farmbochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 26, 2016, 04:25:23 PM »

Most of these stats come from such small sample sizes that they really have little to no statistical significance.

Some are just plain silly.
"If we confine this study just to best-of-seven series, it gets even more ominous."
Winning a 7 game series after dropping game 1 is more probable than a 5 gamer. That's just plain math.

Risk is opportunity