Author Topic: MLB Master Thread  (Read 596963 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: MLB
« Reply #2560 on: November 02, 2017, 08:17:40 PM »
No big deal. If you don't want to answer the question as stated that's fine.
I've already answered the question exactly as stated. To reiterate for you, I'd pick the 10-13 pitcher just based on H+BB and SO (all listed there) alone.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: November 02, 2017, 08:25:58 PM »
I've already answered the question exactly as stated. To reiterate for you, I'd pick the 10-13 pitcher just based on H+BB and SO (all listed there) alone.
Sorry I missed that. I will look again at your response.  ;)
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: November 02, 2017, 08:29:13 PM »
Sorry I missed that. I will look again at your response.  ;)
Here you go.
... you'd want to look at the underlying stats to see which is more likely to be able to maintain (or better yet improve) those numbers next year. And the answer to that is clearly Leake.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: November 02, 2017, 08:42:35 PM »
I didn’t know how you figured out from one years stats who would be better going forward. I never heard of BB/SO ratio being a predictor.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: November 02, 2017, 08:52:02 PM »
I didn’t know how you figured out from one years stats who would be better going forward. I never heard of BB/SO ratio being a predictor.
It's impossible to know for sure who will have a better year, but you told me to pick one, so I have to try, right? If you're asking me to do that based on the stats provided, W-L is literally the last item I'll use in that determination.

2 pitchers with identical stats, except one got all his outs via SO, the other via balls in play. Which do you expect to have the better year the following year?
2 pitchers with identical stats, except one gave up twice as many hits and walks as the other (for the same amount of runs). Which do you expect to have the better year the following year?

A pitcher has far more control over whether the batter puts the ball in play than the result of a play that the batter put the ball in play. The more baserunners you allow, the more likely you are to allow runs. These are pretty basic ideas.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: November 02, 2017, 09:10:06 PM »
It's impossible to know for sure who will have a better year, but you told me to pick one, so I have to try, right? If you're asking me to do that based on the stats provided, W-L is literally the last item I'll use in that determination.

2 pitchers with identical stats, except one got all his outs via SO, the other via balls in play. Which do you expect to have the better year the following year?
2 pitchers with identical stats, except one gave up twice as many hits and walks as the other (for the same amount of runs). Which do you expect to have the better year the following year?

A pitcher has far more control over whether the batter puts the ball in play than the result of a play that the batter put the ball in play. The more baserunners you allow, the more likely you are to allow runs. These are pretty basic ideas.
Are we looking at the same stats? The only real difference is the BB. One gave up 18 more. This means he had 18 more baserunners but the same ERA. How is this possible. Can it be the walks were meaningless? Can it be he is a sinker pitcher and gets more double plays? Or maybe he gave up less extra base hits? Either way it is impossible by those stats to know who will be better next year. One thing I do know is one will have to have a big drop off to get to a losing record. The other would have to have a big improvement to get to 17 wins. Pretty easy choice.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: November 02, 2017, 09:21:38 PM »

Are we looking at the same stats? The only real difference is the BB. One gave up 18 more. This means he had 18 more baserunners but the same ERA. How is this possible. Can it be the walks were meaningless? Can it be he is a sinker pitcher and gets more double plays? Or maybe he gave up less extra base hits? Either way it is impossible by those stats to know who will be better next year. One thing I do know is one will have to have a big drop off to get to a losing record. The other would have to have a big improvement to get to 17 wins. Pretty easy choice.
All those things you mention for explaining the difference are relevant statistics, which can and should be used in evaluating players. You asked about only using the stats he posted, so I used those. Meanwhile, your answer was also outside the stats.

None of what you're saying is a good defense of the use of W-L in evaluating pitchers.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: November 02, 2017, 09:29:32 PM »
All those things you mention for explaining the difference are relevant statistics, which can and should be used in evaluating players. You asked about only using the stats he posted, so I used those. Meanwhile, your answer was also outside the stats.

None of what you're saying is a good defense of the use of W-L in evaluating pitchers.
I was trying to figure what the stats meant since they are almost identical expect for W/L. If the stats are basically the same except a big difference in W/L 99 out of a 100 will take the pitcher with the way better record.

You posted this:
"2 pitchers with identical stats, except one gave up twice as many hits and walks as the other (for the same amount of runs). Which do you expect to have the better year the following year?"

Not sure were you got that from.

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2568 on: November 03, 2017, 09:58:23 AM »
In sabrmetrics they definitely are considered the most core stats for pitching, best predictor for future success and most stable year over year. Ever since voros mccracken's bombshell that pitchers are not in control of balls in play but only HR, K and BB they have been used extensively. In recent years the pendulum has kind of swung back and there has been much more focus on type (gb/fb/ld) and quality (soft/medium/hard) of contact. But K and BB (expressed best as k% or bb%) are still widely accepted as the most important/core metrics because they are most controlled by the pitcher.
You have some good points here about situational pitching and advantages to groundballs. This is definitely why you can't rely 100% on just k and bb. But wins and losses, really? To others' points here using those stats is just inviting tons of noise from lineup, bullpen. manager, random luck, etc.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: November 03, 2017, 10:15:20 AM »
You all keep saying W/L is meaning less. If that is the case how many Cy Young winners had a losing record? How many teams top pitcher this year had a losing record? Do you choose a pitcher based on W/L record, of course not. If you have two pitchers with basically the same stats except one has a way better W/L record how can you say with a straight face you would choose the one with a way worse record?

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2570 on: November 03, 2017, 10:29:35 AM »
You all keep saying W/L is meaning less. If that is the case how many Cy Young winners had a losing record? How many teams top pitcher this year had a losing record? Do you choose a pitcher based on W/L record, of course not. If you have two pitchers with basically the same stats except one has a way better W/L record how can you say with a straight face you would choose the one with a way worse record?
I spend way too much of my time on looking at baseball stats and trying to predict performance. I honestly don't look at record whatsoever. My face is straight! And btw those giving out the awards are doing so less and less.

Offline Yitzshpitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: November 03, 2017, 10:51:34 AM »
I spend way too much of my time on looking at baseball stats and trying to predict performance. I honestly don't look at record whatsoever. My face is straight! And btw those giving out the awards are doing so less and less.

This is true. Even more so nowadays when pitchers dont usually pitch more than 6 innings and therefore dont factor as much anyway into whether the team ultimately wins.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: November 03, 2017, 10:57:51 AM »
Easy way to settle this. A lot of you study stats like crazy. Find me ten sets of stats for pitchers that are almost identical (not using W/L). Then any set with a big discrepancy in W/L I will take the pitcher with the better record. Let me know how much you want to bet on who wins more games next year.  :)

Offline Yitzshpitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: November 03, 2017, 11:02:19 AM »
Easy way to settle this. A lot of you study stats like crazy. Find me ten sets of stats for pitchers that are almost identical (not using W/L). Then any set with a big discrepancy in W/L I will take the pitcher with the better record. Let me know how much you want to bet on who wins more games next year.  :)

Im down :)

*Both pitchers would have to be on teams with similar offensive numbers (bullpens harder to predict and more random)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: November 03, 2017, 11:07:40 AM »
Im down :)

*Both pitchers would have to be on teams with similar offensive numbers (bullpens harder to predict and more random)
It is your time and not mine so go for it. I can cover up to 1mm.  :)

Offline Yitzshpitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: November 03, 2017, 11:57:31 AM »
It is your time and not mine so go for it. I can cover up to 1mm.  :)

Ha there is no minimum wage on forums?

So the best I cam up with in the 15 minutes I looked was:

W-L     WP%         ERA     SO/9     WHIP      HR/9   
Pitcher A- 16-8    .667          3.28     7.1        1.13       1.3

Pitcher B- 10-12   .455          3.55    8.5        1.21       1.1   

*Pitcher B did make 6 less starts which lets say would prorate 2 more wins to his total)

What do ya say?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: November 03, 2017, 12:04:25 PM »
What do ya say?
I say who are the two pitchers?  :)

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: November 03, 2017, 12:06:05 PM »
What information about a pitcher's performance does it tell you that you can't get from other stats?
I believe WHIP is the proper way to evaluate a pitcher. That stat is solely based on his performance.
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline Yitzshpitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: November 03, 2017, 12:13:59 PM »
I say who are the two pitchers?  :)
;)

A-Ervin Santana

B-Sonny Gray

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: November 03, 2017, 12:20:59 PM »
I believe WHIP is the proper way to evaluate a pitcher. That stat is solely based on his performance.
Why are you replying to me?