Author Topic: MLB Master Thread  (Read 596716 times)

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: MLB
« Reply #2960 on: October 31, 2018, 10:14:37 AM »
First of all, y'all may recall I hate the Yankees, but if I were them, I'd stay miles away from Corbin. If they sign him, just hand him the Sonny Gray jersey; no need to make a new one for the same good-not-great-coming-off-career-year-in-small-market guy.

As for Harper and Machado, both made any team much better, no question, but are you dying to give 250-300+ to guys who have been notorious non-hustlers and at times, head cases (not to mention with Harper, wildly inconsistent)? Guys like Cano and Cespedes had been accused of mailing it in before they got their payday, and both contracts now seem dumb. Do you want to be locked into one of these guys for so much money/so many years?
Harper yes, Machado no (I'm thinking they're getting around $300MM/10 years and not the $400MM that was discussed last offseason).

Online Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2961 on: October 31, 2018, 11:24:39 AM »
First of all, y'all may recall I hate the Yankees, but if I were them, I'd stay miles away from Corbin. If they sign him, just hand him the Sonny Gray jersey; no need to make a new one for the same good-not-great-coming-off-career-year-in-small-market guy.

As for Harper and Machado, both made any team much better, no question, but are you dying to give 250-300+ to guys who have been notorious non-hustlers and at times, head cases (not to mention with Harper, wildly inconsistent)? Guys like Cano and Cespedes had been accused of mailing it in before they got their payday, and both contracts now seem dumb. Do you want to be locked into one of these guys for so much money/so many years?

Corbin was legit by all advanced metrics and the yanks are desperate for multiple rotation upgrades and he's the second best on market (best if kershaw is not realistic). That said the AL east is a tough assignment and my expectations would be lowered - but I'd be happy to welcome him in to the fold. Gray is a total mess right now, no idea what went wrong with him. One of the bigger reasons I think the yankee pitching development/coaching staff needs to take more blame in recent years. But he's not a reason to stop trying to get better there.

Sure he seems arrogant or whatever but Harper hustles too much if anything - not sure what you're talking about there. He's had a bunch of injuries already and needs to tone it down a bit imo to protect himself. No comparison to Machado who openly said that hustling isn't his "cup of tea" and buster olney has already reported that it's turned off some potential suitors a bit. Still, Machado is such a monster in all phases of the game you need to put emotion to the side and take good with the bad. I just think Harper's bat is so special especially as a lefty in YS that I prefer to maneuver some of the defense around to accommodate him over machado who on paper seems like the more logical fit. I'd put short term defensive alignment concerns aside when we are talking about a decade long plus contact in all likelihood.
Harper has been inconsistent in some ways, but in the major ways game (power, patience, defense) he has been pretty rock solid.
Both guys are such a unique combination of age, experience and talent it's crazy they are both available at the same time.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
I just found a new supply of forks!

Online Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: October 31, 2018, 12:10:18 PM »

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: October 31, 2018, 12:21:13 PM »
Anyone hear ridiculous francessa interview with him? He was so unnecessarily tough on him. can find on twitter
Francesca is a joke but a stopped clock is right twice a day. Not good optics when an agent goes right to GM without any stops.

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: November 01, 2018, 02:22:53 PM »
Wonder what's happening with Kershaw? The extention to the opt-out implies there's some sort of ongoing negotiation for him to sign an extension. Maybe to tack on 2-3 team friendly years to lower the AAV but more overall guaranteed money? I could see 3/50 added for a total value of 5/115.

Offline tam111

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: November 01, 2018, 05:15:10 PM »
It was interesting that Dodgers and Kershaw extended the deadline for the opt out in his contract to this Friday to give the two sides more time to negotiate a contract.  He only has 2 years, $65 mm left on his contract.  He is only 30 years old so he can get a much larger and longer contract in free agency   I think the Dodgers are likely debating whether to add 4 or 5  years to his contract so he is tied up for  6 or 7 more years.   I read several reports that thought he could get an average of $40 mm per year.   That seems high but three different sites that make these guesses all thought that if he became a free agent, he would get a 6 or 7 year contract at $40 mm per.

I would be shocked if he doesn't resign with the Dodgers.   Dodgers can outspend anyone and wants Kershaw, and Kershaw wants to stay in LA. 

Offline Amusch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: November 01, 2018, 09:30:57 PM »
Francesca is a joke but a stopped clock is right twice a day. Not good optics when an agent goes right to GM without any stops.

-1. The GM hire is debatable, maybe even a bad call, but he came into the interview looking for blood and mocking him for trying to be positive and mostly pareve on Day 1.

Offline WAM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: November 03, 2018, 10:18:01 PM »
Does his decisions work because he is a genius or because he has the best team in baseball by far? Would his decisions still work if he was the manger of the Mets?
If Cora is a genius, would be ever agree to manage the NYM?

Offline tam111

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: January 11, 2019, 12:51:03 PM »
This thread is as quiet as free agency.   

MLB seems to be frozen until Manny and Bryce figure out where they will play and then attention to lesser free agents will begin.   Read an interesting article about the Yankees about how their payroll today is about the same as their payroll 15 years ago, give or take (bouncing in the $190-$225 mm) but their revenues have gone up 4x since then.   The Yankees are using the luxury tax as a way keep player salaries down despite them having record profits.  Said another way, the percentage of player salaries to total revenues has dropped from mid 70% to maybe 35%.   The Yankees have outsized revenues (and outsized payroll) but wonder seems like player salaries as a percentage of baseball revenues is dropping for everyone which reflects the current market where players are expecting record contracts and teams are less willing to shell them out.  But there are conflicting articles about how player payroll as a percentage of revenues have been stable for the past ten years.   Other than last year, haven't seen free agency be this slow. 

http://riveraveblues.com/2019/01/guest-post-window-contention-wide-open-theres-no-better-time-yankees-spend-big-182764/

Online Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: January 11, 2019, 02:47:26 PM »
We are headed toward a strike. Some of the contracts lately in terms of dollars and years are seriously below what they should be.
As a (spoiled) Yankee fan I'm not happy with this offseason. Not a fan of the DJ signing - he's below avg on the road offensively and don't really see how he fits after didi comes back and you have didi DJ andujar torres tulo voit bird etc.
I'm personally not a machado fan (vs harper) but to not get him or Harper would be a major disappointment. This is not the market to be cheap! To not get either one when their revenues have been increasing and they are under the cap, and boston is this good, is inexcusable imo.
My only hope is that they know machado wants to go to white sox and they're now pivoting toward Harper. He even still fits on their roster - gardner is their LF as of now and much better suited as 4th of. But there are absolutely no rumors of this so not holding my breath.

Offline tam111

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: January 11, 2019, 03:25:32 PM »
I'm with you.  I thought this was the year for the Yankees to strike and get a player at a decent deal, and I am not a fan of the DJ signing unless they plan on playing him at 1B and get rid of Bird/Voit while backing up other positions.   $24 mm/2 years is a lot of money for a backup so I'm guessing he should be starting somewhere and not just Tulowitzski insurance.   I do want Machado, but OK with giving another year to Andujar to improve his defense and if it doesn't improve, go after Nolan Arenado next year who doesn't come with any of the baggage and is a very nice player (a year older than Machado). 

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #2972 on: January 13, 2019, 08:25:37 AM »
I'm with you.  I thought this was the year for the Yankees to strike and get a player at a decent deal, and I am not a fan of the DJ signing unless they plan on playing him at 1B and get rid of Bird/Voit while backing up other positions.   $24 mm/2 years is a lot of money for a backup so I'm guessing he should be starting somewhere and not just Tulowitzski insurance.   I do want Machado, but OK with giving another year to Andujar to improve his defense and if it doesn't improve, go after Nolan Arenado next year who doesn't come with any of the baggage and is a very nice player (a year older than Machado).
Arenado is the poor man's Machado. The Yankees should never be the poor man.

There are plenty of reports that the plan for DJ is to pay around the whole infield. Tulo is league minimum with upside who they can release any time at no cost. I think it's still possible that they sign Machado, but still need depth and didn't want DJ going elsewhere, especially if Machado doesn't end up signing.

Cashman has been saying for years that the plan was to get under the luxury tax *for this year's free agents*. Very strange how things are playing out.

Offline B.D.Da'ehu

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: January 13, 2019, 08:29:48 AM »
Cashman has been saying for years that the plan was to get under the luxury tax *for this year's free agents*. Very strange how things are playing out.
This is exactly the worry. It is shameful for the Yankees to perpetuate this new trend of not spending big considering the revenue and profit they generate.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #2974 on: January 13, 2019, 08:36:23 AM »
This is exactly the worry. It is shameful for the Yankees to perpetuate this new trend of not spending big considering the revenue and profit they generate.
It's an MLB problem, not just the Yankees.

Offline B.D.Da'ehu

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: January 13, 2019, 08:38:38 AM »
It's an MLB problem, not just the Yankees.
True. Just a Yankees fan here :P

Offline shmuels2

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: March 28, 2019, 03:55:59 PM »
Baseball's back!

Offline DealKiller

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: March 29, 2019, 12:05:45 AM »
Baseball's back!
How about those Dodgers? After the Lakers I guess there is still hope!

Offline PNWBear

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: April 05, 2019, 10:12:15 AM »
I’m taking my one chance (before next week comes) to say the Mariners are the best team in Baseball! 

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #2979 on: April 12, 2019, 02:27:34 PM »
How many teams would this team beat?

1. Hicks CF
2. Stanton RF
3. Didi SS