Author Topic: MLB Master Thread  (Read 604419 times)

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: MLB Master Thread
« Reply #3140 on: October 30, 2019, 12:29:35 AM »
They already new that.
~12 minutes to figure out it couldn't be protested?

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: October 30, 2019, 12:34:49 AM »
It's obvious who you're rooting for in this series, I'll tell you that much. ::)
Ever since the Astros allegedly illegally stole signs from the Indians to knock them out last year - I wouldn't think any Cleveland fans are going for the Stros

Offline Der Deutsche Jude

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, CA, FAA, GA, NA, OA, WA
« Reply #3142 on: October 30, 2019, 05:51:35 AM »
Home field advantage is a myth

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: October 30, 2019, 06:33:37 AM »
Nice of baseball to hold the World Series first and then a scrimmage versus WAS or STL.
How about that?

The Nats were underrated since they turned it around in May.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #3144 on: October 30, 2019, 07:07:52 AM »
~12 minutes to figure out it couldn't be protested?
That was not what it was for. It was to make sure they were not interpreting Rule 5.09(a) wrong.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 07:11:10 AM by CountValentine »
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: October 30, 2019, 07:10:47 AM »
Two things this WS is proving.
1 - The game is not played on paper.
2 - There is going to be some major CROW eaten no matter who wins!!!  :)

You can all be sure I will be serving it to the right individuals.  :P

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: October 30, 2019, 10:32:41 AM »
The media is going crazy without knowing the rule just like some here.  :)

(11)  In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base, while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of ) the three-foot line, or inside (to the left of ) the foul line, and in the umpire’s judgment in so doing interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, in which case the ball is dead; except that he may run outside (to the right of ) the three-foot line or inside (to the left of ) the foul line to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball;

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3147 on: October 30, 2019, 11:11:28 AM »
Look at how he hit that ball. Do you think he ran to interfere or that he ran based on momentum?

And how often is that called an out? And what exactly delayed the game for 12 minutes?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: October 30, 2019, 12:01:27 PM »
Look at how he hit that ball. Do you think he ran to interfere or that he ran based on momentum?

And how often is that called an out? And what exactly delayed the game for 12 minutes?
Slowdown there.  :)
It is a judgement call or as I said before a coin flip. I would not have called interference because to me it looks like he beat the throw anyway.
1 - He ran on the left on the foul line.
2 - He did interfere.

Offline dpk4588

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: October 30, 2019, 12:05:03 PM »

Maybe thats why the rule says that the "In running the last half of the distance"? Maybe out of the box he had to run in fair territory but he has to make the effort to get out to to between the lines and then run back to the base to tag it. The comment on the rule even says that "The batter-runner is permitted to exit the three-foot lane by means of a step, stride, reach or slide in the immediate vicinity of first base for the sole purpose of touching first base."

As I originally read the rule, I thought that he should be out because he ran inside the field of play rather than between the lines. Now as I read it again, I noticed that it says "and in the umpire’s judgment in so doing interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base."  I don't think he in any way interfered with the throw. The throw was off line and Guriel would have had to leave the bag to catch it and then try to tag him on the way. So I think in this case the "umpire's judgement" should have been to say that Guriel didn't have a reasonable chance to make the play to begin with.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3150 on: October 30, 2019, 12:08:32 PM »
As I originally read the rule, I thought that he should be out because he ran inside the field of play rather than between the lines. Now as I read it again, I noticed that it says "and in the umpire’s judgment in so doing interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base."  I don't think he in any way interfered with the throw. The throw was off line and Guriel would have had to leave the bag to catch it and then try to tag him on the way. So I think in this case the "umpire's judgement" should have been to say that Guriel didn't have a reasonable chance to make the play to begin with.
He hit his glove.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: October 30, 2019, 12:18:17 PM »

(11)  In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base, while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of ) the three-foot line, or inside (to the left of ) the foul line, and in the umpire’s judgment in so doing interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, in which case the ball is dead; except that he may run outside (to the right of ) the three-foot line or inside (to the left of ) the foul line to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball;

Which explains why Gomes was on First and not second.

I agree with the call. If I look closely at the play here is what I see:
- Gourriel goes to the proper fielding position, with his left leg on the inside corner of the bag
- Even though Peacock's throw was slightly offline, Gourriel would have caught it in fair territory and would likely have kept his foot on the bag.
- As Turner pushes off his last stride, he collides with Gourriel's glove a split second before the ball, preventing him from making the catch.
- Had gourriel caught that ball, it was close enough of a play, that he might have had turner at first.

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: October 30, 2019, 12:19:05 PM »
He hit his glove.
Yes, but the glove wasn't catching that ball even if he doesnt hit the glove.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: October 30, 2019, 12:26:57 PM »
Yes, but the glove wasn't catching that ball even if he doesnt hit the glove.
Watch the video here from the 1:32 mark: https://www.mlb.com/news/trea-turner-first-base-call-world-series-game-6

Also look at the attached pic - three things you should notice:
- Gourriel still has his foot on the bag
- The ball is where his glove should be had turner not knocked it off
- Turner's foot hadn't landed yet.

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: October 30, 2019, 12:45:08 PM »
Watch the video here from the 1:32 mark: https://www.mlb.com/news/trea-turner-first-base-call-world-series-game-6

Also look at the attached pic - three things you should notice:
- Gourriel still has his foot on the bag
- The ball is where his glove should be had turner not knocked it off
- Turner's foot hadn't landed yet.
I've watched the video several times, in slow-mo. I don't think that angle is telling whether that ball was catchable or not. In fact in that clip, and in the screenshot you took, it looks like (to me) he wouldn't have caught it even without the contact. But again that's based on the angle. I would love to see a zoomed in view from the third base side.

-Albert Einstein

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: October 30, 2019, 01:59:15 PM »
I've watched the video several times, in slow-mo. I don't think that angle is telling whether that ball was catchable or not. In fact in that clip, and in the screenshot you took, it looks like (to me) he wouldn't have caught it even without the contact. But again that's based on the angle. I would love to see a zoomed in view from the third base side.

It's funny, but when I look at that screen shot - it's obvious to me that his glove would've caught the ball had turner not hit it.

Someone pointed out to me that there was a similar play in the 2004 ALCS. Although I think in that one it was a little more obvious of a call

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: October 30, 2019, 02:56:24 PM »
It's funny, but when I look at that screen shot - it's obvious to me that his glove would've caught the ball had turner not hit it.

Someone pointed out to me that there was a similar play in the 2004 ALCS. Although I think in that one it was a little more obvious of a call

I thought about that one, but in that case he wasn't interfering with the making of the play, he literally (and clearly intentionally) knocked the ball out of Arroyo's glove. It's also not really comparable because in that case it's one player making the whole play, its not like A-Rod blocks Arroyo from tossing to first. To be fair, I hated Bronson Arroyo, so I think A-Rod was fine with that play ;)
-Albert Einstein

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #3157 on: October 30, 2019, 04:28:37 PM »

1) The rule makes no sense. If the rule indeed needs to be that he has to run on the right of the foul line, the base has to be in foul territory as well. You can't expect a guy to run on one line, and then need to change course at the last second. If he can run to the left of the foul line, which he can, then how can he be said to interfere if he can't even see the ball and makes no movement to either side to interfere? What was he supposed to do? He ran in about as straight a line as you can.
2) Because of number 1, this rule is never applied in a case like yesterday where the runner runs on a straight line and doesn't move to impede the fielder. His left foot hits the middle of the bag, he never makes it out of the baseline. It was absolutely asinine for the ump to call that when that is never, ever, ever called. To change that in a win or die World Series game is beyond terrible.
3) Leaving such a rule to be a "judgement call" is crazy, either the runner ran where he was supposed and allowed to or not. I understand there is the matter of fielding the ball along the baseline which will always rely on judgement calls, but for all other cases, they should have clear rules of where the runner can run, and that's it.
4) Why did they take 12 minutes at a crucial pint of a World Series game to read a 20 second rule to the umpires? Indefensible. Aside from just being an annoying delay in the most important game of the year, such delays affect players (especially pitchers).

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3158 on: October 30, 2019, 04:30:04 PM »
1) The rule makes no sense. If the rule indeed needs to be that he has to run on the right of the foul line, the base has to be in foul territory as well. You can't expect a guy to run on one line, and then need to change course at the last second. If he can run to the left of the foul line, which he can, then how can he be said to interfere if he can't even see the ball and makes no movement to either side to interfere? What was he supposed to do? He ran in about as straight a line as you can.
2) Because of number 1, this rule is never applied in a case like yesterday where the runner runs on a straight line and doesn't move to impede the fielder. His left foot hits the middle of the bag, he never makes it out of the baseline. It was absolutely asinine for the ump to call that when that is never, ever, ever called. To change that in a win or die World Series game is beyond terrible.
3) Leaving such a rule to be a "judgement call" is crazy, either the runner ran where he was supposed and allowed to or not. I understand there is the matter of fielding the ball along the baseline which will always rely on judgement calls, but for all other cases, they should have clear rules of where the runner can run, and that's it.
4) Why did they take 12 minutes at a crucial pint of a World Series game to read a 20 second rule to the umpires? Indefensible. Aside from just being an annoying delay in the most important game of the year, such delays affect players (especially pitchers).

This x 1MM
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: October 30, 2019, 04:30:48 PM »
Someone pointed out to me that there was a (not at all) similar play in the 2004 ALCS.
FTFY. A-Rod deserved that call.