Author Topic: MLB Master Thread  (Read 605464 times)

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: MLB Master Thread
« Reply #3240 on: October 31, 2019, 01:24:43 PM »
Did you watch last night? It was a pitching masterpiece till the 7th.
By one pitcher. What game were you watching. I am talking about the pitching matchups. One guy barely went 5 innings. Some matchup that was.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: October 31, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »
By one pitcher. What game were you watching. I am talking about the pitching matchups. One guy barely went 5 innings. Some matchup that was.
Scherzer battled. Lots of action. Left with his team in a position to win. Corbin comes in and dominated. Seems like good pitching to me.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: October 31, 2019, 01:27:52 PM »
Also as a whole the series had way more intrigue than anyone imagined. Looked like the Nats could win in 5, followed by it looking like the Astros would win in 6, followed by a game 7 beginning that looked it would go terribly wrong for the the Nats, only for them to come back.
If I want intrigue I will watch the bachelor. I want good games. This series fell way short on that. You had game one that was close and that was it.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: October 31, 2019, 01:28:58 PM »
Scherzer battled. Lots of action. Left with his team in a position to win. Corbin comes in and dominated. Seems like good pitching to me.
What part of pitching matchups are you not getting? We are talking about the marquee name starters.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: October 31, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »
Game one was a good game. Then comes:
12-3
4-1
8-1
7-1
7-2
6-2

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: October 31, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »
12-3
4-1
8-1
7-1
7-2
6-2
Final score is not the best indicator of how 'exciting' a series is, but there are plenty of 'numbers' to back up the contention that this one was boring (written after game 5, got a little better in most of these metrics in 6 and 7:
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/why-has-the-world-series-felt-boring/

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: October 31, 2019, 02:09:26 PM »
Final score is not the best indicator of how 'exciting' a series is, but there are plenty of 'numbers' to back up the contention that this one was boring (written after game 5, got a little better in most of these metrics in 6 and 7:
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/why-has-the-world-series-felt-boring/
I know final score is not the only indicator. I watched the whole series. Except for game one it was over come the 9th inning. That makes for a boring series.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: October 31, 2019, 02:16:12 PM »
Except for game one it was over come the 9th inning.
So if every game was a back and forth battle, with multiple lead changes per game, no lead more than 1 prior to the 8th, etc, and one team blows open the game every time in the 8th (let's say alternating wins throughout), that's a boring series?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: October 31, 2019, 02:18:13 PM »
So if every game was a back and forth battle, with multiple lead changes per game, no lead more than 1 prior to the 8th, etc, and one team blows open the game every time in the 8th (let's say alternating wins throughout), that's a boring series?
Did I miss some games?  :)

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #3249 on: October 31, 2019, 02:47:02 PM »
12-3
4-1
8-1
7-1
7-2
6-2

For a guy moaning on and on about paper not reflecting reality, that's an awfully sloppy paper trail right there.

Game 1 was a 5-4 nail biter.
Game 2 was a 2-2 tie going into the 7th inning! The blow out was also fun and crazy, especially as the underdogs were taking a huge lead back home.
Game 3 stayed close for the entire game. 4-1 is hardly a blow out.
Game 4 was pretty much a blowout all the way through, but featured an awesome pitching performance from a young pitcher who everyone figured was an automatic L for the Astros.
Game 5 had the Scherzer drama, and even though it wasn't the closest game, it was winable for most of it.
Game 6 was a was an awesome game. Strasburg overcame tipping his pitches to produce a phenomenal must win performance. the game was a 1 run game going into the 7th, and we don't need to rehash how dramatic of an inning that was. Awesome game.
Game 7s are crazy dramatic to begin with. Add in the Scherzer drama and that there was a lead change in the 5th, and it was a 1 run game going into the 7th, and even after that still very winable for the Astros awesome lineup and the Nats awful bullpen.

This series was awesome.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: October 31, 2019, 02:50:55 PM »
Game 1 was a 5-4 nail biter.
Game 2 was a 2-2 tie going into the 7th inning! The blow out was also fun and crazy, especially as the underdogs were taking a huge lead back home.
Game 3 stayed close for the entire game. 4-1 is hardly a blow out.
Game 4 was pretty much a blowout all the way through, but featured an awesome pitching performance from a young pitcher who everyone figured was an automatic L for the Astros.
Game 5 had the Scherzer drama, and even though it wasn't the closest game, it was winable for most of it.
Game 6 was a was an awesome game. Strasburg overcame tipping his pitches to produce a phenomenal must win performance. the game was a 1 run game going into the 7th, and we don't need to rehash how dramatic of an inning that was. Awesome game.
Game 7s are crazy dramatic to begin with. Add in the Scherzer drama and that there was a lead change in the 5th, and it was a 1 run game going into the 7th, and even after that still very winable for the Astros awesome lineup and the Nats awful bullpen.

This series was awesome.
This coming from the guy who claimed the best starting pitching matchups ever. How do you want your crow cooked or you going to pull a Trump on that one to?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: October 31, 2019, 02:51:27 PM »
For a guy moaning on and on about paper not reflecting reality, that's an awfully sloppy paper trail right there.
What are you talking about?

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #3252 on: October 31, 2019, 02:57:17 PM »
This coming from the guy who claimed the best starting pitching matchups ever. How do you want your crow cooked or you going to pull a Trump on that one to?

Please never speak about a sporting event or discuss odds in advance of a game ever again. Of course I was speaking about on paper. Of course the games have to play out. Of course Verlander can give up a ton of runs and Scherzer can wake up one morning unable to dress himself. If I made any sort of predictions to eat crow for, serve it. But for claiming that the pitching matchups on paper going into a series were historically amazing? Yeah, I was right on that no matter how the games played out.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: October 31, 2019, 03:06:16 PM »
Please never speak about a sporting event or discuss odds in advance of a game ever again. Of course I was speaking about on paper. Of course the games have to play out. Of course Verlander can give up a ton of runs and Scherzer can wake up one morning unable to dress himself. If I made any sort of predictions to eat crow for, serve it. But for claiming that the pitching matchups on paper going into a series were historically amazing? Yeah, I was right on that no matter how the games played out.
You feel you were right and that is fine. My point was and still is what paper matchups look like doesn't mean JACK!

What does this mean? "Please never speak about a sporting event or discuss odds in advance of a game ever again."

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #3254 on: October 31, 2019, 03:19:27 PM »
You feel you were right and that is fine. My point was and still is what paper matchups look like doesn't mean JACK!

What does this mean? "Please never speak about a sporting event or discuss odds in advance of a game ever again."

It means that if you're discussing sports in advance of games, inherent is the understanding that the games have to be played. You keep repeating "the game isn't played on paper" like its some deep esoteric truth only you in your aged wisdom has figured out. It's tiresome. We get it. We watch the games and enjoy them just as much as you. Just because you are older and wish they didn't change pitchers as much doesn't mean my enjoyment of the game is worth less.

After your misleading post about the final scores, I pointed out that in a 7 game series almost all were tight going into the 7th inning.  Your response about me eating crow for saying that Cole, Verlander, Greinke, Sherzer, Strasburg, Corbin represented an historically great pitching matchup - which it did - is ludicrous.

If I made a prediction, like "Astros will win in 6" - sure, feed me the crow.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3255 on: October 31, 2019, 03:32:29 PM »
It means that if you're discussing sports in advance of games, inherent is the understanding that the games have to be played. You keep repeating "the game isn't played on paper" like its some deep esoteric truth only you in your aged wisdom has figured out. It's tiresome. We get it. We watch the games and enjoy them just as much as you. Just because you are older and wish they didn't change pitchers as much doesn't mean my enjoyment of the game is worth less.

After your misleading post about the final scores, I pointed out that in a 7 game series almost all were tight going into the 7th inning.  Your response about me eating crow for saying that Cole, Verlander, Greinke, Sherzer, Strasburg, Corbin represented an historically great pitching matchup - which it did - is ludicrous.

If I made a prediction, like "Astros will win in 6" - sure, feed me the crow.
What is tiresome is all this talk about what it looks like on paper. Who cares what it looks like on paper? That is the why I keep saying the game is not played on paper!!!

Would you rather have a series that looks good on paper and turns out to be a dud. Or a dud on paper and turns out to be great?

I just want to see entertaining games. I would have loved to seen at least one great pitching duel (starters) but that didn't happen. Some claim last night was a pitching duel. How can it be a duel when one starter only went 5 innings and pitched like crap?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: October 31, 2019, 03:36:27 PM »
After your misleading post about the final scores...
Misleading? Those were the exact scores.
They were a good representation of how boring the series was. You disagree and that is fine but nothing was misleading on my part.

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: October 31, 2019, 03:48:54 PM »

@Yehuda57  To help the Count understand how we think

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: October 31, 2019, 03:54:54 PM »
If you didn't think thst game through 7 was phenomenal, I don't know what you were watching.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: October 31, 2019, 03:55:50 PM »
Thr Astros have a mentality where they seem to shut down after they lose a lead, so yes the final score made it appear to be a relative blowout. No clue why the Astros didn't try to hold it there/bring in Cole etc.

They didn't win a single game this year in which they were trailing after the 8th.