Author Topic: MLB Master Thread  (Read 605854 times)

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: MLB Master Thread
« Reply #3260 on: October 31, 2019, 03:59:39 PM »
If you didn't think thst game through 7 was phenomenal, I don't know what you were watching.
It was "phenomenal" as you put. If I do a Google search for greatest game 7's it will come up 1 or 2?  How about top 10? Maybe top 100?  :)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: October 31, 2019, 04:00:54 PM »
@Yehuda57  To help the Count understand how we think
I get it, it is all about paper stats. You know my answer to that so I won't even say it.  ;)

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: October 31, 2019, 04:06:18 PM »
What is tiresome is all this talk about what it looks like on paper. Who cares what it looks like on paper? That is the why I keep saying the game is not played on paper!!!

Would you rather have a series that looks good on paper and turns out to be a dud. Or a dud on paper and turns out to be great?

I just want to see entertaining games. I would have loved to seen at least one great pitching duel (starters) but that didn't happen. Some claim last night was a pitching duel. How can it be a duel when one starter only went 5 innings and pitched like crap?

part of your problem is that you think this is the 1980s
starting pitchers for the most part do not go more than 2-3 times the lineup
also Scherzer pitched a pretty good game till he came out and Grienke pitched great

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: October 31, 2019, 04:13:49 PM »
part of your problem is that you think this is the 1980s
starting pitchers for the most part do not go more than 2-3 times the lineup
also Scherzer pitched a pretty good game till he came out and Grienke pitched great
Part of your problem is you don't know what good baseball is.  :P
also Scherzer pitched a pretty good game till he came out...
7 hits, 4 walks in 5 innings is a pretty good game? See my first comment.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: October 31, 2019, 04:18:31 PM »
Where would you all rank game 7 and the series? Sounds like you think both should be in the top ten of all time.

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: October 31, 2019, 05:37:11 PM »
Part of your problem is you don't know what good baseball is.  :P7 hits, 4 walks in 5 innings is a pretty good game? See my first comment.

only 1 run
he was able to work out of any trouble

again you are not a fan of current baseball so you will not be happy until you realize that this is the new normal
you will almost never see a starting pitcher in the WS pitch more than 7 innings unless they are going for a no-hitter/ perfect game and even then they might get pulled based on the numbers

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: October 31, 2019, 05:51:10 PM »
I did not have a dog in this fight. Last nights game was a little exciting but other than the first game it sucked!!!
This was billed as these great pitching matchups. What happed there? I am not going to say who is eating crow on that one.

I was definitely among the people who thought that there would be great pitching matchups, and told people not to sleep on the nats because of their good pitching - clearly it didn't play out that way. But of the 4 games that the Nats won, they were tied or behind in the fifth inning and then took a lead and/or broke it open. For all the talk of the Astros bats - they didn't come through as much as we expected (or at least not with runners on base).

but it was compelling baseball. Not to mention, everyone likes a compelling underdog story.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: October 31, 2019, 06:05:14 PM »
only 1 run
he was able to work out of any trouble

again you are not a fan of current baseball so you will not be happy until you realize that this is the new normal
you will almost never see a starting pitcher in the WS pitch more than 7 innings unless they are going for a no-hitter/ perfect game and even then they might get pulled based on the numbers
2 runs but don't let facts get in the way.
The new norm is ruining baseball and is why Houston lost game 7.
How about any of you answer this simple question?
Where would you all rank game 7 and the series? Sounds like you think both should be in the top ten of all time.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: October 31, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »
Cole is warming up in the bullpen.

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: November 01, 2019, 10:22:32 AM »
2 runs but don't let facts get in the way.
The new norm is ruining baseball and is why Houston lost game 7.
How about any of you answer this simple question?

The ratings definitely don't support the theory that this was an all time great series

Im not a huge baseball fan but try to watch playoffs and WS and I would not put this in the top 10
as far as the new norm ruining baseball I don't totally disagree with you. I think the new norm is great for winning a ton go games over the regular season but it needs to be old school baseball for the post-season

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: November 01, 2019, 10:33:30 AM »
The ratings definitely don't support the theory that this was an all time great series

Im not a huge baseball fan but try to watch playoffs and WS and I would not put this in the top 10
as far as the new norm ruining baseball I don't totally disagree with you. I think the new norm is great for winning a ton go games over the regular season but it needs to be old school baseball for the post-season
...but post-season is what counts no? Here is a great example on new style (statistics) baseball.
Verlander is pitching with runners in scoring position. I forgot who was batting. Stats dictate to put the shift on. The batter takes an outside pitch and hits a slow roller to the second basement. The only problem is the second basement was on the other side of second. Run scores and the rest is history.
In that situation the hitter can probably hit to the right side 7 or 8 times out of 10.

Online skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: November 01, 2019, 11:18:31 AM »
In that situation the hitter can probably hit to the right side 7 or 8 times out of 10.
Do you mean Rendon (that was the batter in your example), or the average random hitter? There's no way that's true on average throughout the league. If you're pitching to Ichiro, you know he's going to place the ball where he wants most of the time. But there are plenty of hitters who are just not capable and/or willing to adapt to the shift. I don't know where Rendon fits on that continuum, but if he's closer to Ichiro, that just means HOU did a bad job applying the shift, not that the shift itself has no place in baseball. And if he's not, then the fact that he lucked into a hole for a base hit doesn't make the shift a bad idea.

FYI, there's data pointing to the fact that while in the early days of the shift, on average the hitters weren't adapting very well, that has started to change (ie more and more batters are training themselves to hit out of it). Great article about that here:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dont-worry-mlb-hitters-are-killing-the-shift-on-their-own/

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: November 01, 2019, 11:22:42 AM »
Do you mean Rendon (that was the batter in your example), or the average random hitter? There's no way that's true on average throughout the league. If you're pitching to Ichiro, you know he's going to place the ball where he wants most of the time. But there are plenty of hitters who are just not capable and/or willing to adapt to the shift. I don't know where Rendon fits on that continuum, but if he's closer to Ichiro, that just means HOU did a bad job applying the shift, not that the shift itself has no place in baseball. And if he's not, then the fact that he lucked into a hole for a base hit doesn't make the shift a bad idea.

FYI, there's data pointing to the fact that while in the early days of the shift, on average the hitters weren't adapting very well, that has started to change (ie more and more batters are training themselves to hit out of it). Great article about that here:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dont-worry-mlb-hitters-are-killing-the-shift-on-their-own/
The problem is most of the time the hitter does not care about the shift. They are going to swing for the fence. In a situation like this in the WS that all goes out the window.

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: November 01, 2019, 11:34:29 AM »
The problem is most of the time the hitter does not care about the shift. They are going to swing for the fence. In a situation like this in the WS that all goes out the window.
There might be some hitters that have an 'approach' issue with the shift, where the weight of the WS might correct their approach, but not every player has the level of control necessary to avoid the shift consistently, regardless of approach.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: November 01, 2019, 11:41:02 AM »
There might be some hitters that have an 'approach' issue with the shift, where the weight of the WS might correct their approach, but not every player has the level of control necessary to avoid the shift consistently, regardless of approach.
It is funny the article you posted. We did exactly that (use half the field) when I was growing up. It was no big deal to hit to the opposite field. You lost some of your power but that was it. Now I understand you are going against the best pitchers in the world but the batters are the same caliber.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: November 01, 2019, 12:13:27 PM »
...but post-season is what counts no? Here is a great example on new style (statistics) baseball.
Verlander is pitching with runners in scoring position. I forgot who was batting. Stats dictate to put the shift on. The batter takes an outside pitch and hits a slow roller to the second basement. The only problem is the second basement was on the other side of second. Run scores and the rest is history.

I'm not sure of the specific moment you're speaking about above, but I would also suggest that although the Nats did score in that situation, the pre-hit odds of the shift getting the Astros out of the inning vs playing the field straight up. Increasing the odds in your favor doesn't guarantee things, it just makes them more likely. Also part of the shift requires pitcher execution - did the pitcher make his spot in that situation?

I've read two books recently that talk about the shift and it's impact, one of them "The Only Rule is it has to work" - https://www.amazon.com/Only-Rule-Has-Work-Experiment/dp/1250130905/ talks about an extreme shift they applied to one minor league player. By looking at all of his stats, they realized he hits ground balls all over the field, but fly balls only go to left or center. So every time this guy gets up to bat, they pull the right fielder into the infield as the first infielder. The hitter is frustrated, but as the story goes, he never reaches base in that game. (In the majors, the only equivalent I've seen is the 5th infielder to prevent a walk-off on a ground ball where you know that a fly ball of any kind is at least a sac fly).

In "The Shift" - (Which is interestingly enough, not entirely about the shift we're discussing) - https://www.amazon.com/Shift-Next-Evolution-Baseball-Thinking/dp/1629375446/ - the author points out that a hitter who is shifted would simply need to make an attempt to hit ground balls against the shift one out of every 3 attempts for it to be worth it, but that most players don't because they often feel they need to go for the deep hit vs the infield single. When Jay Bruce was on the Mets, he'd get extreme shifts all the time. With a no-strike or one-strike count, they'd put a guy in the hole and 3 infielders on the right side. With two strikes, there'd be 4 infielders between 1st and 2nd. It would kill me. Because even if Bruce would bunt in the first inning - even if he bunted foul. The opposing team would need to honor it if he came up in the ninth with the game on the line. But Jay Bruce was a true outcomes guy - 150 strike outs and 30 HR per season.

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: November 01, 2019, 12:21:23 PM »
It is funny the article you posted. We did exactly that (use half the field) when I was growing up. It was no big deal to hit to the opposite field. You lost some of your power but that was it. Now I understand you are going against the best pitchers in the world but the batters are the same caliber.
Lol. If a full field is 90 deg, and half the field 45 degrees, I think my kids 'field' is 20-25 degrees. Then again, that's elementary school kids playing 2 a side. I marvel at their ingenuity in creating their own little version of baseball.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: November 01, 2019, 12:24:03 PM »
I'm not sure of the specific moment you're speaking about above, but I would also suggest that although the Nats did score in that situation, the pre-hit odds of the shift getting the Astros out of the inning vs playing the field straight up. Increasing the odds in your favor doesn't guarantee things, it just makes them more likely.
I under the odds. Odds are great when there are not variables. Probably 90%+ of the time the batter does not care about the shift. In the WS it is a whole another story. The odds don't factor in that variable which is the most important.

Also part of the shift requires pitcher execution - did the pitcher make his spot in that situation?
This is the crazy part. They pitched him outside the whole time at bat. The pitch he punched to the right side was low and away. Does not get any easier than that.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: November 01, 2019, 12:25:23 PM »
Lol. If a full field is 90 deg, and half the field 45 degrees, I think my kids 'field' is 20-25 degrees. Then again, that's elementary school kids playing 2 a side. I marvel at their ingenuity in creating their own little version of baseball.
Nice to see that still going on. I have not seen kids playing BB in the street for the past 20 years.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: November 01, 2019, 01:16:20 PM »

the playable part of my backyard is about 30'x45. All summer long it's one giant wiffle-ball tournament. The strike zone is a patio chair, and there are a ton of ground rules. I would assume that I break up about 3 fights per weekend :)