Author Topic: Travelling with an infant on an award or paid ticket  (Read 21354 times)

Offline MLM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
Re: Travelling with an infant on an award or paid ticket
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 05:49:20 PM »
If they charge for the baby and you sneek it in its gneiva. I dont care how you look at it. Jump on a train and dont pay, they are also not loosing out. Come on, if you want to do it, your choice, but lets not say its ok and call it a "creative workaround" You are fooling yourself to make yourself feel ok with it.

If you are in business and your wife is in coach. Your kid is on your wifes ticket, would you say its Ok to switch off and take your kid with you to business.

Offline chuchem

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 05:54:04 PM »
If you are in business and your wife is in coach. Your kid is on your wifes ticket, would you say its Ok to switch off and take your kid with you to business.
What do you want to hear from me? The infant is booked in coach. I am sure nobody will mind, if the father holds the kid for a while if its quiet in business.
I really dont know what you are trying to get at with this question.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 05:54:21 PM »
Marriage counseling will cost more
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline MLM

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2010, 05:58:10 PM »
What do you want to hear from me? The infant is booked in coach. I am sure nobody will mind, if the father holds the kid for a while if its quiet in business.

You are not paying more money in order to be allowed to make noise in business class.

Its just the kid needs to be associated with a ticket. It doesnt matter with who.

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2010, 06:11:55 PM »
Wow, a lot of posts since I started this. I can't believe I was so unaware. People don't realize this and suddenly 4 days before the flight, or worse, at check-in, they are forced to shell out a fortune of money for the 2-month old! That is insane that airlines get away with charging so much money! A $150 charge on an award or paid ticket I can understand, but how do you determine 10% of the price? What if when I booked my award tickets were $3,500 and now at check-in tickets are $7,000??

I think voices need to be heard about this issue. It's time the madness stops.
CO is 10% of current price.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2010, 06:23:17 PM »
You are not paying more money in order to be allowed to make noise in business class.

Its just the kid needs to be associated with a ticket. It doesnt matter with who.
That's my feeling.
They're not charging for the baby to sit in business.  They're charging because the system is set up (in the case of most airlines) to take 10% of the fare that the child is attached to.  It's not set up to just take 10% of a coach fare.

I think the point of the one parent is in coach and one in business question is that most people will say it's fine in that case for the parents to switch off.  Like you said nobody will mind in that case. Of course if that's true then it should also be fine to get the baby a coach ticket even if both parents are in business...

By bringing in the noise issue (noone will mind as long as it's quiet) I think you're mixing up the issue of bringing a baby at all into business and the issue of where the baby is officially ticketed...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:27:53 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2010, 06:24:12 PM »
I am really surprised superflyer is still quiet on this! ;-)
+1
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2010, 06:30:11 PM »
If they charge for the baby and you sneek it in its gneiva. I dont care how you look at it.
Perhaps on the plane issue I'm in the minority.  But I bet on the hotel issue that only a small minority would go down to the front desk to make sure to let them know you have a kid with you in the room and ask how much you owe.

And it's easy for people to come here and say they would, but would they really?  After all the room is paid for...

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2010, 06:37:30 PM »
Let's take a poll: You're on an F ticket and it would be $1,700 to add an infant.  Is everyone here saying they would pay it rather than try a creative workaround?

Im all for work arounds but they must be within the rules of the Carriers T&Cs, and not causing a CH. So if you dont order Kosher meals , dont daven on the plane dont look Religious or Jewish, its still wrong and stealing but at least no case of CH.

sort of how would like it if I post a few threads in a row and on each 1 put part of a  URL to a site that you dont want on here and Im not stealing in that case.

I AGREE with you its nuts that they should charge $1700 and I agree its a rip, but that doesnt allow us to do what we want to simply because thats what we feel and think.

If you asked any of that Carriers agents to allow you to purchase a coach tkt for your infant and have it noted on your PNR that the baby can nonetehless fly upfront,no problem but you know thats not gonna happen = you just cant do what you feel like to save $$$.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2010, 06:42:14 PM »
Perhaps on the plane issue I'm in the minority.  But I bet on the hotel issue that only a small minority would go down to the front desk to make sure to let them know you have a kid with you in the room and ask how much you owe.

And it's easy for people to come here and say they would, but would they really?  After all the room is paid for...

Big difference no one at the Hotel will know how many people are suppose to be in the room, so no case of a CH. but it might be stealing if you take them into the Lounge or bring them food from there knowing full well its not for you but them. also if you need more soap or get more of other items that you wouldnt have had there been only the reg # of people, just cause we rationalize why ist OK after all Im a Plat or Diamond or Gold, doesnt mean its OK to do

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2010, 06:46:16 PM »
Big difference no one at the Hotel will know how many people are suppose to be in the room, so no case of a CH. but it might be stealing if you take them into the Lounge or bring them food from there knowing full well its not for you but them. also if you need more soap or get more of other items that you wouldnt have had there been only the reg # of people, just cause we rationalize why ist OK after all Im a Plat or Diamond or Gold, doesnt mean its OK to do
So you're saying the only difference is the potential for the C"H? What if they see you once going past reception with a baby? 
Maybe you should pony up the extra $200/night?
Would you put your money where your mouth is to avoid a possible C"H?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2010, 07:06:13 PM »
So you're saying the only difference is the potential for the C"H? What if they see you once going past reception with a baby? 
Maybe you should pony up the extra $200/night?
Would you put your money where your mouth is to avoid a possible C"H?

1000%  but then again ask SF or his friend that stopped to speak to him who was on a bike if I appear to be a Religious Jew or just Jewish. I said it once already if I wasnt 1 of the last people walking down that train platform and didnt desribe myself to him, no way would he have thought that I was Steve2 and he would have let me walk right by him w/o saying even Boo.

his friend on the bike thought I was some Goy from tin buck too, and when I said Shulom Alechiem to him he had to do a double take and even asked SF hes Jewish?

And lastly Ive been in lines with frum people ahead of who tried pulling schtick, when I got up to the counter the person starts mouthing off all about All the Jews. Of cause once hes done and just before Im about to walk away, I say something to him you see you just contradicted yourself, you bash All Jews and yet didnt have that opinion about me and Im just as Jewish and Religious as they are, Exit stage Left ASAP they go and apologize as they are. And yes Ive brought it up to mgmt

they asked Willie Sutton why he robbed Banks, he answered simply cause thats where the $$$ are. If a Bank didnt have any security people or cameras would you rob it? Lets add you went in for a loan so that you dont lose your house or biz and banked with them for yrs during the good times and even had say 100k in a non-interest bearing acct, now you can say well they owe it to me or whatever you want, nothing allows going in and robbing them even thou thats exactly what they are doing to all the tax payers in cohoots with the govt.

lastly you go tonight for dinner and its really bad you bring it up to the mgr or owner who says it is what it is, and still charges you for it, does that allow you to take things of equal value from the place w/o paying (no CCs to fall back on Ca$h only).U can take him to small claims but Im not aware of any law taht will allow you to take things of equal value and decide on your own to do that.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:10:04 PM by steve2 »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2010, 07:18:21 PM »
1000%  but then again ask SF or his friend that stopped to speak to him who was on a bike if I appear to be a Religious Jew or just Jewish. I said it once already if I wasnt 1 of the last people walking down that train platform and didnt desribe myself to him, no way would he have thought that I was Steve2 and he would have let me walk right by him w/o saying even Boo.

his friend on the bike thought I was some Goy from tin buck too, and when I said Shulom Alechiem to him he had to do a double take and even asked SF hes Jewish?

And lastly Ive been in lines with frum people ahead of who tried pulling schtick, when I got up to the counter the person starts mouthing off all about All the Jews. Of cause once hes done and just before Im about to walk away, I say something to him you see you just contradicted yourself, you bash All Jews and yet didnt have that opinion about me and Im just as Jewish and Religious as they are, Exit stage Left ASAP they go and apologize as they are. And yes Ive brought it up to mgmt

they asked Willie Sutton why he robbed Banks, he answered simply cause thats where the $$$ are. If a Bank didnt have any security people or cameras would you rob it? Lets add you went in for a loan so that you dont lose your house or biz and banked with them for yrs during the good times and even had say 100k in a non-interest bearing acct, now you can say well they owe it to me or whatever you want, nothing allows going in and robbing them even thou thats exactly what they are doing to all the tax payers in cohoots with the govt.

lastly you go tonight for dinner and its really bad you bring it up to the mgr or owner who says it is what it is, and still charges you for it, does that allow you to take things of equal value from the place w/o paying (no CCs to fall back on Ca$h only).U can take him to small claims but Im not aware of any law taht will allow you to take things of equal value and decide on your own to do that.
I'm not sure where you were going with that toirah, but the right answer according to your shitah that the hotel is OK as long as no C"H is seen, is just make sure nobody sees you with the infant...

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2010, 07:35:53 PM »
I'm not sure where you were going with that toirah, but the right answer according to your shitah that the hotel is OK as long as no C"H is seen, is just make sure nobody sees you with the infant...

Im saying its WRONG to do, but usually if you have status and ask or mention it before getting there they will work with you. But Rationalizing why its ok to rip them is wrong. Then theres the CH issue as well. But as you know most Hotels dont card you when usinga code, yet even you have to admitt its foolish of you to book a Senior rate when you arent and dont look it. Now if you are 26 and look 69 its Wrong but youd probably wont get carded

with a Hotel there are numerous ways around it which you dont have with a Plane. but just cause you can beat them at it doesnt mean its not Wrong to do.And if I thought for 1 moment that they thought I was Jewish forget about being Religious no I wouldnt play the Games, Especially if I didnt have the Status or ID to fall back on

Im not saying I live my life w/o playing any Games, I will say I do my darnest to make sure what ever I do wont cause a CH and no I never rented a car under an employee rate or any rate where I didnt have some form of ID in case I was carded

dan I cant count the # of times Ive flown to TLV over all the yrs and in TWAs days I used to hang in galleys with the FAs and knew 95% of them by name and was friendly with them, Believe when I tell you youd never believe the stories I can tell you that they have told me that they went thru on the TLV route, and what they said about Israelis and Religious Jews and Unfortuantely they were RIGHT and they HATED their mgmt yet if you ever tried pulling something like this with them and they caught you look out
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:41:43 PM by steve2 »

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2010, 07:43:36 PM »
 It comes down to dont take the baby, pay what is asked, bring a nanny, dont go. No one is forcing anyone to fly with their baby, if a person chooses to do so then they should be preparred to do 1 of the 4 above. Or #5 fly coach

Offline deals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2010, 08:04:04 PM »
i just booked a hotel room in niagara they told me that kids are FREE

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2010, 08:06:56 PM »

in that case I will take 2 LoL

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2010, 08:09:24 PM »
As they are in nearly every US hotel.

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2010, 09:58:39 AM »
For a full overview of Zeh Nehne Vze Loi Choser, see Encyclopedia Talmudis Vol. 14. First topic in the sefer and its really not that long.

Offline txtmax4

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2010, 02:36:22 AM »
In response to the OP:
I flew with my wife and infant on BA miles JFK-EZE-JFK and the total mileage paid was 84.000.
40.000 per each adult plus 4.000 (10% of the miles) for the infant. No taxes or booking fees for the infant.
If You See Something, Say Something!!