Topic Wiki

I'm assuming that most ddf'ers don't realize how useful and powerful the gmail filters and search is. Therefore I will try to show you how it can be used on a daily basis

Random useful trick: when typing an email, hit Ctrl+Enter to Send it

Note: You can always use 2 operators at the same time. All search terms can be used in the filters. Except the in: and is: command because filters are for incoming only

All the commands (the thing you want to do) are called operators.

Shortcuts: Press ? in Gmail to see a list of keyboard shortcuts. Some keyboard shortcuts can be used immediately, and others need to be enabled before you can use them.

From: To search for an email you received   A) By name B) A particular email address. C) A email sent from a particular domain use a *   
Example: From:Dad or From:Dad@thebestone.com or From:*@dansdeals.com   

To: To search for an email you sent  A) By name B) A particular email address. C) A email sent to a particular domain use a *   
Example: To:Dad or To:Dad@thebestone.com or To:*@dansdeals.com

Subject: To search for a subject (duh!)
Example: Subject:Thunder     

Label: Search by Label
Example: From:dad Label:occasions
Note: If a label have 2 names then you must include a "-" (hyphen) Example: Label:my-family

Attachments There are 3 ways to search for attachments.
1.Has:attachment  Will show all messages that have attachments. To search for attachments from a specific person or a specific label etc. use the appropriate operator. Example: from:david has:attachment or Label:party has:attachment 
2.Filename: Will search for a specific file. To search for files from a specific person or a specific label etc. use the appropriate operator.
Example: Filename:example.pdf or Label:Dad Filename:shoppinglist.txt
3.By file type Example: filename:(jpg OR jpeg OR png OR gif)

*The in: operator will search for messages anywhere in Gmail
Note: Messages in Spam and Trash are excluded from searches by default; except if you use in:anywhere 
Example: in:anywhere. in:inbox in:trash in:spam
To search for files from a specific person or a specific label etc. use the appropriate operator. Example: in:trash from:amy
Note: For priority messages use is:important

*The is: operator will search for items with a certain status.
Example: is:important is:starred is:unread is:read is:chat[/b]
You can combine them also Example:  is:read is:starred from:David or is:chat money   

*Has: Search for messages with a particular star
Example:  has:yellow-star has:red-star has:orange-star has:green-star has:blue-star has:purple-star has:red-bang has:orange-guillemet has:yellow-bang has:green-check has:blue-info has:purple-question
Has:nouserlabels Finds all messages without any of your own labels (excludes automatic labels like inbox, spam, and trash).

cc: bcc:  Used to specify recipients in the cc: or bcc: fields
Note Search on bcc: cannot retrieve messages on which you were blind carbon copied.
Example: cc:david Messages that were cc-ed to David.

*after: before: older: newer:  Search for messages sent or received during a certain period of time (using the date format yyyy/mm/dd)
Example: after:2014/04/16 before:2014/04/18 Messages sent between April 16, 2014 and April 18, 2014.*
*More precisely: Messages sent after 12:00 AM (or 00:00) April 16, 2014 and before April 18, 2014.

*older_than newer_than Similar to older and newer, but allows relative dates using d, m, and y for day, month, and year
Example:newer_than:2d Finds messages sent within the last two days

deliveredto: If you have another email address forwarded to this email address. You can use this to filter just the messages from that email.
Example: deliveredto:username@gmail.com

size:  Search for messages larger than the specified size in bytes
Example: size:1000000 All messages larger than 1MB (1,000,000 bytes) in size.

larger: smaller: Similar to size: but allows abbreviations for numbers
Example: larger:10M All messages of at least 10M bytes (10,000,000 bytes) in size.

Search Terms

OR   To search for Term A or B
Example:From:Dad OR From:Mom  or From:dad|from:mom
Note: OR must be capital.  You can also use "|" [located on top of the enter key or tab key] this is very useful in filters.
"-" Used to exclude messages from your search Example: From:dad -Dinner
"+"(plus sign) or """ Match the search term exactly.
Example: +unicorn or "unicorn"  Finds messages containing “unicorn” but not “unicorns” or “unciorn”
"( )"  Used to group words and to specify terms that shouldn't be excluded.
Example: from:amy (dinner OR movie) or subject:(dinner movie)

* Cannot be used in a filter because the filter is for incoming only.

All this info can be found on https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7190?hl=en
« Last edited by shoobi on July 28, 2015, 01:00:47 PM »

Author Topic: Gmail tips, tricks and questions  (Read 220972 times)

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Re: Gmail tips, tricks and questions
« Reply #900 on: August 23, 2021, 05:59:50 PM »
Is there a way to forward just primary emails, without promotions?
filter for category:primary should do it
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Online davidd75

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: September 30, 2021, 02:47:50 PM »
can i unblock email address previously blocked and have no emails from them in inbox or spam or anywhere else using my android phone(ie no desktop computer)?

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: September 30, 2021, 02:58:41 PM »
How do i remove certain predictions coming up when I type certain emails? eg, I mistakenly typed in chaimcohen1@gmail.com instead of chaimcohen10@gmail.com and the chaimcohen1@gmail.com one always comes up as soon as I enter chaim...

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #903 on: September 30, 2021, 04:24:30 PM »
How do i remove certain predictions coming up when I type certain emails? eg, I mistakenly typed in chaimcohen1@gmail.com instead of chaimcohen10@gmail.com and the chaimcohen1@gmail.com one always comes up as soon as I enter chaim...
Go to contacts.google.com and search for it in Frequently Contacted or Other Contacts, I think it's from one of those.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: September 30, 2021, 05:19:51 PM »
can i unblock email address previously blocked and have no emails from them in inbox or spam or anywhere else using my android phone(ie no desktop computer)?
You can see and unblock contacts in the Google Account settings.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6388749?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&oco=0

Online davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #905 on: October 01, 2021, 10:45:50 AM »
You can see and unblock contacts in the Google Account settings.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6388749?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&oco=0

This does not work for blocked email  addresses I think one must use desktop computer to unblock email address

"Tip: The "Blocked users" list doesn't include:
Accounts blocked through YouTube channels or live chat.
Blocked email addresses.
Phone numbers you blocked with your Android phone app."

Online yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: December 17, 2021, 11:59:26 AM »
Trying to find out how I can reduce the incredible amounts of spam I receive every day. Not talking about newsletters that I can unsubscribe from, rather the complete scam/virus emails about Nigerian prince/lotto/enhancement supplements etc.

I don't want it ever showing up in my inbox, and not even in my spam folder. I sometimes get legitimate emails in my spam folder and I'm forced to sift through endless junk to see if there's anything worth opening.

Any tips?
Visibly Jewish

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: December 17, 2021, 12:05:51 PM »
Trying to find out how I can reduce the incredible amounts of spam I receive every day. Not talking about newsletters that I can unsubscribe from, rather the complete scam/virus emails about Nigerian prince/lotto/enhancement supplements etc.

I don't want it ever showing up in my inbox, and not even in my spam folder. I sometimes get legitimate emails in my spam folder and I'm forced to sift through endless junk to see if there's anything worth opening.

Any tips?
I'm assuming these are coming from many different email addresses? If that's the case, I think it was discussed elsewhere on DDF, but @TimT would have to help you there. Assuming it's the same few email addresses, you can filter them to "skip your inbox". The same can be done in reverse for email addresses that seem to end up in spam, you can create a filter that you specifically choose "never send to spam" and list all the email addresses that seem to have the issue. You can add them as you find them there as well.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 17, 2021, 12:13:02 PM »
I'm assuming these are coming from many different email addresses? If that's the case, I think it was discussed elsewhere on DDF, but @TimT would have to help you there. Assuming it's the same few email addresses, you can filter them to "skip your inbox". The same can be done in reverse for email addresses that seem to end up in spam, you can create a filter that you specifically choose "never send to spam" and list all the email addresses that seem to have the issue. You can add them as you find them there as well.

It's coming from many email addresses. I think sometimes they use the same domain. I tried creating a filter with all the current spam emails, it was too large. So I created a filter from 5 senders, but because all the emails are in spam, and the filter works with search, I can't get the filter to find the spam as search doesn't look in spam. Also can't add in:anywhere in the filter. Would at least like to select a bunch of emails and add to a block list without going through each one by one.
Visibly Jewish

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: December 17, 2021, 12:30:14 PM »
It's coming from many email addresses. I think sometimes they use the same domain. I tried creating a filter with all the current spam emails, it was too large. So I created a filter from 5 senders, but because all the emails are in spam, and the filter works with search, I can't get the filter to find the spam as search doesn't look in spam. Also can't add in:anywhere in the filter. Would at least like to select a bunch of emails and add to a block list without going through each one by one.
In my filters I use "yuneeq@DDF.com" OR "yuneeq@dansdeals.com". I also will do just the doamin at times, "@DDF.com" OR "@dansdeals.com" to catch anything sent to those domains, regardless of the specific address.

I believe when you set up a filter to "never send to spam" it specifically looks for emails that would go to spam, isn't that the whole point? Obviously the past emails are what they are, but that should solve it going forward.

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #910 on: December 17, 2021, 12:47:38 PM »
In my filters I use "yuneeq@DDF.com" OR "yuneeq@dansdeals.com". I also will do just the doamin at times, "@DDF.com" OR "@dansdeals.com" to catch anything sent to those domains, regardless of the specific address.

I believe when you set up a filter to "never send to spam" it specifically looks for emails that would go to spam, isn't that the whole point? Obviously the past emails are what they are, but that should solve it going forward.

Thanks I will try this, will be hard to know if its working though. The first option would be a very tedious one by one process.
Visibly Jewish

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: December 17, 2021, 01:01:05 PM »
Thanks I will try this, will be hard to know if its working though. The first option would be a very tedious one by one process.
The first option probably doesn't apply to you. I filter almost only by domain personally. Just keep updating the filter as you see things that aren't getting caught by it.

Offline WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #912 on: December 17, 2021, 01:18:26 PM »

Any tips?
I have a few separate email addresses and some I try to never give out and others I give out to everyone.

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: December 17, 2021, 02:09:42 PM »
I have a few separate email addresses and some I try to never give out and others I give out to everyone.

My personal email is my full name, I've had it since 2004. Just getting swamped the past month or so. Making a new email will not help me unless I abandon this one.
Is there a way to enable stricter spam settings for SPF or DKIM failures?
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: December 18, 2021, 09:17:38 PM »
Speaking of filtering the android Gmail app recently added the easy filtering functionality previously available on the web.

_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: February 17, 2022, 04:08:36 PM »
Here's a strange one, user has a gmail account and an exchange account. Uses gmail for gmail and outlook for exchange. Outlook has no connection to gmail and vice versa. Two separate accounts that are supposed to reman separate.

On his Iphone he has both accounts added to the default mail app.

He noticed that some emails sent to gmail also show up in outlook. How is that possible? If the accounts were connected in some way then all emails should be showing up, and he didn't move the email over because it still shows up in gmail. It's not a forward either. The message shows sent to:user@gmail.com but it's clearly showing up in outlook which is not connected to gmail in any way.

Any ideas?

If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #916 on: February 17, 2022, 04:13:52 PM »
My personal email is my full name, I've had it since 2004. Just getting swamped the past month or so. Making a new email will not help me unless I abandon this one.
Is there a way to enable stricter spam settings for SPF or DKIM failures?

you can make a filter to automatically delete certain types of emails or emails with certain words or emails from certain email adresses.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: February 17, 2022, 04:37:49 PM »
Here's a strange one, user has a gmail account and an exchange account. Uses gmail for gmail and outlook for exchange. Outlook has no connection to gmail and vice versa. Two separate accounts that are supposed to reman separate.

On his Iphone he has both accounts added to the default mail app.

He noticed that some emails sent to gmail also show up in outlook. How is that possible? If the accounts were connected in some way then all emails should be showing up, and he didn't move the email over because it still shows up in gmail. It's not a forward either. The message shows sent to:user@gmail.com but it's clearly showing up in outlook which is not connected to gmail in any way.

Any ideas?
"Uses Gmail for Gmail" Lol
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline TwoShoeLou

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: February 18, 2022, 01:36:09 PM »
If you have some technical know-how you can set up your email to automatically receive email notifications for specific events , like certain people tweeting and whatnot. The service is called Zapier. I use it for a few people i want to follow. Twitter doesn't always send the notifications, and I don't really use it but i still like to follow what people say. Connects to google directly. I think it works with instagram too. Good for business use as well!

Offline avadah

• View Profile
« Reply #919 on: February 22, 2022, 06:37:59 PM »
Is there a way to put a logo in a signature for emails sent on an android phone?